• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Bioware Neglected Their Main Demographic: The Straight Male Gamer"

Wallach

poppabk said:
This reads less like the guy takes issue with homosexuality and more like he is upset because he didn't find a new 'girlfriend' that he really hit it off with in the new game.

Yeah, I actually was going to say this myself. I kind of wish I hadn't read it now, but the actual thread title made me do a real deep belly laugh so I needed to see this shit.

dude

dude
Brobzoid said:
I was the opposite, but then again I played Baldur's gate when I was a lot younger than I am now and didn't have a particular interest in reading large blocks of text in English. So maybe they've always had their priorities like this, but that's not how I remember them damn it. :c
I played BG2 at 12 with english as my second lagunage as well... And yeah, I sort of started as playing it out like that, but once I tried to read the text (this game is how I learned english! True story.) - That's when I fell in love with the game.
When I found out I could actually romance a character I was totally amazed. This was like the game making me ice cream, I didn't even think it was possible.
I don't realize how can people play BG2 for the combat - Honestly? It's not that good. Don't get me wrong, it's fun and it could get pretty tactical, but I never enjoyed it all that much.

consoul

The fact that a "No Homosexuality" option, which could have been easily implemented, is omitted just proves my point.
Wow. Of all the ridiculous things said in his post, this one takes the cake.

More gay characters in linear storyline type of games please. They should've like made Solid Snake gay in MGS4.

Okay he has Otacon but you know what I mean.

Or a gay GTA main character.

Shambles

I heard that Bioware is alienating their customer base that want's to get it on with their own sisters too!

Oneiroscope said:
Why are these terrible romancing mechanics in these games in the first place?

Because Dragon Age is basically a western dating sim now.

eastmen

Banned
I personaly don't care , the game was crap and I didn't buy it in the first place.

As long as I'm not forced in that direction then it wouldn't matter.

Tellaerin

Brobzoid said:
Can we have a show of hands for who plays these games for the combat mechanics versus the story and it's related mechanics (dialog, romancing, etc)?

The thing that is most egregious about Dragon Age 2 being stream-lined or dumbed down or whatever, to me, is that Bioware seems* to be taking the focus off of the combat mechanics and the things associated with that and in it's place pushing for more story, more character interactions, more romances, internal conflicts in your party, etc.

Not to say older Bioware titles didn't have that stuff, but I feel they're pushing it much more to the foreground at the expense of the combat. This is especially bothersome because Dragon Age was their "old school Bioware game" as opposed to Mass Effect with it's newness.

* I ain't played Dragon age 2 yet, so I might be pissing myself in the face here.

The main draw of Bioware games for me is that they do that kind of character interaction stuff. When I want to play a game focusing on the more boardgame-y aspects of combat, with unit management and positioning and what have you, I'll play an SRPG. When I want more of a 'Monty Haul'-style experience (kill monsters, get treasure, level up my characters and make them awesome), I'll play something like Diablo, Torchlight, or Phantasy Star Portable 2. For a Bioware game, I want an interesting cast to interact with and a suitably epic adventure to go on. The combat's just a supporting element in that experience for me, and isn't nearly as important as it would be in those other types of games.

Evlar

Banned
The installation wizard might have a "Homosexuality (2547 MB)" option, with a checkbox next to it, similar to foreign language dialogue.

Dilemma

I think some Bioware fans take the romance options too seriously, they should look into Japanese dating sims or something.

I'm single and while I won't deny I usually romance one character as a naughty curiosity, not all single people go out of their way to romance all characters, nor is it the main reason they play the game. I usually can't be bothered to replay the game just for different romance options.

I don't have a problem with a digital gay guy hitting on my character, and if you do it's pretty easy to make him stop it by going to the center of the rival-friendship scale, it's not like the game forces you to have a homosexual relationship.

l said:
The fact that a "No Homosexuality" option, which could have been easily implemented, is omitted just proves my point.
Can anyone imagine what that would look like?

{*} Auto-attack
{ } Vsync
{*} Just JO
{*} No homo

Evlar

Banned
meltingparappa said:
Can anyone imagine what that would look like?

{*} Auto-attack
{ } Vsync
{*} Just JO
{*} No homo
I'm imagining a dedicated section for the straight-gamer sensitive options. Homosexuality will be sandwiched between "Brown People (276 kB)" and "Sensible Female Clothing (819 MB)".

Misterinenja said:
More gay characters in linear storyline type of games please. They should've like made Solid Snake gay in MGS4.

Ha, that would be awesome. It would frankly make a lot of sense too. No successful relationships with females (and those he is attracted to have masculine features), bonds a lot with male figures, that mustache...

I would love Kojima to come out and confirm that Snake was actually gay, just to see the freakouts from teenage fans who bashed Raiden for being a sissy (when he actually had a girlfriend and got her pregnant, something Snake can't do because his junk is broke :smug).

dionysus

Yaldog
Shambles said:
I heard that Bioware is alienating their customer base that want's to get it on with their own sisters too!

This got me thinking. About the only thing that hasn't gotten simpler and more streamlined since BG2 is the dating. I am a big believer in actions speaking louder than words. And Bioware has consistently been proving that they believe they need to give you more fuck buddies in their games and cut out the rest of the crap.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I never played DA2, but there was that elf assassin chap in DA: Oranges who hit on me. I admit, it caught me by surprise and I felt awkward in the sense that I hadn't expected that... but who cares? I didn't feel violated. In fact now I commend them on even acknowledging this in the game.

As an aside, any idea if Fred Phelps and his band of monsters have found out about these games yet?

The romance options, Isabella and Merrill, were clearly designed for the straight male gamers in mind. Unfortunately, those choices are what one would call "exotic" choices. They appeal to a subset of male gamers and while its true you can't make a romance option everyone will love, with Isabella and Merrill it seems like they weren't even going for an option most males will like.

Bioware neglected their main demographic: the homophobic racist white male moron.
Actually, they really neglected their main demographic: the rpg player.

DiscoJer

This is perhaps only slightly related. But a few years ago someone made a movie based on HPL's The Shadow Over Innsmouth. For some reason it was called "Cthulhu", starred Tori Spelling, but the real thing that set nerds off was that the main character was gay.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478126/

I thought it was a really good movie. Even Tori Spelling turned out to be well cast, because she really does look like a Deep One hybrid...

But a lot of HPL fans can't get past the gay main character part, even though there's only like 2 gay sex scenes (and really nothing that couldn't be shown on TV)

Couldn't even slightly care. I'm a straight male, and am naturally drawn to male-female romance options, but have actually dallied (in DA:O, where I had a wonderful night around the campfire which saw me bedding Leilana, Morrigan and Zevran one after the other. I only hope that I used protection).

People are idiots, though, and stupid, by and large. They will moan about things that they see as strange when it's perfectly normal. I play FemShep in Mass Effect, and have an acquaintance who was disgusted that I romanced Garrus as her, because that was a "bit like being gay". He didn't care that he's a weird insecty-monster creature who clicks a bit when he speaks and has no discernible lips: he cared that I was romancing him. He's a dickhead.

David Gaider said:
We have good numbers, after all, on the number of people who actually used similar sorts of content in DAO and thus don't need to resort to anecdotal evidence to support our idea that their numbers are not insignificant...

Unless anyone has a better suggestion as to where David Gaider pulled the numbers from, other than his arse. He probably got this data from achievements/trophies, which does make the numbers insignificant.

I'm not gay and yet I have the achievements for fucking Alistair and Zevran on top of Leliana and Morrigan, resulting in the hopelessly romantic achievement. Only two of my friends have played Dragon Age. One gay, one straight and all three of us have the same achievements.

How can EA/Bioware use that information to acertain what their fanbase wants?

The amount of ignorance and entitlement in that person's post is ridiculous.

The straight male gamer is the most pandered to demographic by an overwhelming margin. Some people are so used to being exclusively catered to, that any change is shocking and unacceptable to them.

Making the game have more inclusive gameplay options is best route for BioWare to take, especially in a series where the player's choices have such a large impact on the game.

It's sad that some people can't be more accepting, but it's their responsibility to adapt and be more open, not for the gaming community to regress to suit their close minded ideals.

edgefusion

ukresistance said:
Unless anyone has a better suggestion as to where David Gaider pulled the numbers from, other than his arse. He probably got this data from achievements/trophies, which does make the numbers insignificant.

I'm not gay and yet I have the achievements for fucking Alistair and Zevran on top of Leliana and Morrigan, resulting in the hopelessly romantic achievement. Only two of my friends have played Dragon Age. One gay, one straight and all three of us have the same achievements.

How can EA/Bioware use that information to acertain what their fanbase wants?

I have to say, I kind of take issue with you saying David Garter "probably" got it from achievement data then go on to assert this like it's fact. You're pulling that out of your arse just as much as you claim he is.

I always thought The Cruncheons were joking when they said people only want dating sims from Bioware games... guess I was wrong :/

I find this thread funny since someone on the most recent geekbox said their friend likes DA2 since "it was written for gay men and women."

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Misterinenja said:

Or a gay GTA main character.
Yeah, more dudebro games need to have gay characters.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
seriously guys, fuck this shit

just fuck it, i'm going to go play tennis.

Suairyu

Banned
Rez said:
seriously guys, fuck this shit

just fuck it, i'm going to go play tennis.
Goddamnit. The hetero-exploitative Serena Williams ad got to you too!

You're a part of the problem now, Rez.

I'm a straight male, and I have a problem with people who have a problem with people who have a problem with people who have a problem with people who have a problem with people who have a problem with people who have a problem with people who have a problem with people who have a problem with people who have a problem with people who have a problem with people who have a problem with people who have a problem with people who have a problem with people who have a problem with people who have a problem with people who have a problem with people who have a problem with people who have a problem with people who have a problem with gay people hitting on them.

Xilium

Shambles said:
To be fair, even the most basic of Japanese dating sims require you to do more than just choose the flirty option to get into a characters pants. As a matter of fact, you usually have to work your way into having a close relationship with whomever you're trying to woo before being flirty will even have a positive impact.

Bioware should probably play some dating sims and get a better idea of how gaming romances should be done.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
branny said:
The response says it all. Defending, no, embracing, all sexes and orientations with DA2 in the name of political correctness or whatever it may be, while Mass Effect 2 in particular went through great lengths to offer a veritable torrent of straight romances, individually flavored by paragon or renegade, and not offering a single legit homosexual romance barring the lesbian fling with Kelly.
In an incredibly stupid cop out. PROGRESS!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Xilium said:
To be fair, even the most basic of Japanese dating sims require you to do more than just choose the flirty option to get into a characters pants. As a matter of fact, you usually have to work your way into having a close relationship with whomever you're trying to woo before being flirty will even have a positive impact.

Bioware should probably play some dating sims and get a better idea of how gaming romances should be done.

Nope, Everyone is Bi and will do Anything That Moves. Its nuanced, yeah?

Desi

SpacePirate Ridley said:
The problem i found her design cute (where I am he hasnt talk very much) so for one I wanted the game let you have a romance with her, but I also didnt wanted because she is my fucking sister, fucking bioware, dont make cute sisters in games!
easy, play "black" hawke. They dropped the ball so hard, when Carver is the best looking of the family something is up.

The guy is a douche, but Bioware is only making things worse: (from Kotaku)

The problem lies, as Gaider further explains, if the perception that the majority must be catered to.

Mr. Main Writer, where were you for the last 18 months when your dumbed down RPG elements in the effort to appeal to majority?

Kinyou

Interfectum said:
I'd say Red Dead Redemption handled the concept of love and romance fairly well. I especially enjoyed the unspoken budding relationship between Bonnie and Jack.
It was such a shame that there was no option to go a step further with Bonnie

ukresistance said:
I'm not gay and yet I have the achievements for fucking Alistair and Zevran on top of Leliana and Morrigan?

I'll admit that when I saw this I thought "man Bioware is getting a little risqué these days." Now that I realized that you meant in several playthroughs and not all at the same time it seems a little less bacchanalian.

Though I admit that I'd love to see the Fox News article if Bioware ever does put a man/woman/elf/man/witch fivesome in a game.

GhaleonQ

HK-47 said:
Nope, Everyone is Bi and will do Anything That Moves. Its nuanced, yeah?

You see, the radiation from Mass Effect's suns makes all species in the universe produce an extraordinary amount of hormones compared to normal endocrine systems. This breaks down barriers and standards of behavior familiar to those living in the Milky Way galaxy, leaving all inhabitants in a near-feral sexual state known informally as "the bone zone."

You didn't buy the novelizations?

Hahah...some people are funny. It must be hard to be him. If someone's fantasy is to go to a world without gay people, then I really don't want to know them. Would they want to have a "no Jews" or "no Asians" option as well?

Anyway, major props to Bioware for thinking about minorities as well. After all, how many games are there which cater to gay people as well? Not many. I hope they don't listen to these idiots.

Top Bottom