• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Bioware Neglected Their Main Demographic: The Straight Male Gamer"

Is it just me or did the guy who made that post on the Bioware forums seem like a bigot? He doesn't like gay characters because they are disturbing and the female choices (who are both white) are exotic because one has a tan....

SERIOUSLY.

Also I think Bioware's gay characters are pretty stereotyped - why cant the gay guy be Alistair or Jacob for once?

branny

tea_and_crumpets said:
Also I think Bioware's gay characters are pretty stereotyped - why cant the gay guy be Alistair or Jacob for once?

For all I could tell, a meticulously calculated fangirl wet dream like Alistair would've worked perfectly as a closeted homo.
Least repulsive-looking character in the game? Check. Humor? Check. Shared fate? Check. Bastard prince? Check. Virgin? Of course!

Has anyone mentioned sleeping with the male gypsy in Ultima VI yet?

<Dupre> I'm not sure we have time for this, my Lord..

Good times, good times.

JayDubya

Banned
Fable 3's "Dirty Dancing with everyone as a default nice action if you want to get people to like you, and why no, you cannot pick your emotes as in previous games, why do you ask?" was more annoying than Dragon Age's Zevran or Anders's one time flirty lines that you can politely reject and move on.

No skin off my back (I'm... not even sure if that's a pun or not?) if that option is in there. Even made sense, story wise, for Zevran.

Xilium said:
To be fair, even the most basic of Japanese dating sims require you to do more than just choose the flirty option to get into a characters pants. As a matter of fact, you usually have to work your way into having a close relationship with whomever you're trying to woo before being flirty will even have a positive impact.

Bioware should probably play some dating sims and get a better idea of how gaming romances should be done.

I really do wonder just how many JRPG fans are at Bioware currently; they've been borrowing JRPG elements so much over the years that I've begun to suspect a lot of old Square-Enix fanboys make up the rank and file over in Edmonton at this point.

I had Fenris as a fairly permanent member of my party. Not once did anything that he said sound remotely "flirty," but there were many times when I was given the OPTION to flirt myself. Anders, on the other hand, was a whore from the start, much like Isabela. I found it annoying only because he'd get pissy if you didn't flirt back.

This dude definitely comes across as a homophobic twit.

Lime

How is a thread from the Bioware forums thread-worthy? What's next? Posting 4chan threads too? Why even pay attention to this shit? Obviously the guy is deluded and every sane person would strongly disagree with him.

RPGCrazied

As a gay male, I'm glad they offer a same sex romance in their games. I really don't want to be hitting on the ladies, I know its just a game, but whatever. I wish more companies would put gay characters in their games.

Speevy said:
It's been a while, but can't you hit on Carth as a guy and Juhanni (sp?) as a girl in KOTOR?
Plays out like a female hitting on Jack "I don't play that game thanks k bye."

Seriously though... do I get to split some browneyes?

I didn't really care, but I found it a bit jarring when Anders threw a hissy fit in our first regular, non-quest conversation in his medic. I reloaded and tried all the options, but unless you hit on him he gets all pissed off.
That is the line I think you shouldn't cross. Even if you don't have a no-homosexual option it is clearly demarcated when you open up that conversation path. Just don't punish a player for not choosing that path.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hmm,

In all honesty, though, when the love option first appear--on the first conversation, no less--with Anders, my reaction is pretty much WTF. The same with Fenris (flirting on the first conversation as well? WTF?), but even more so with Anders since there were no indication whatsoever during Awakening that he's like that.

Pretty much the definition of 'tacked on', in my opinion.

Stuff like Zevran did not make me go WTF since his backstory and his character fits with how he viewed his sexuality, but Anders...?

Eh, I always go with the no romance with this kind of thing anyways.

Laughing Banana said:
Hmm,

In all honesty, though, when the love option first appear--on the first conversation, no less--with Anders, my reaction is pretty much WTF. The same with Fenris (flirting on the first conversation as well? WTF?), but even more so with Anders since there were no indication whatsoever during Awakening that he's like that.

Pretty much the definition of 'tacked on', in my opinion.

Stuff like Zevran did not make me go WTF since his backstory and his character fits with how he viewed his sexuality, but Anders...?

Eh, I always go with the no romance with this kind of thing anyways.

You can't determine what your companions wear, but you can decide if they are gay or not.

Jerk

Banned
SerArthurDayne said:
I didn't really care, but I found it a bit jarring when Anders threw a hissy fit in our first regular, non-quest conversation in his medic. I reloaded and tried all the options, but unless you hit on him he gets all pissed off.
That is the line I think you shouldn't cross. Even if you don't have a no-homosexual option it is clearly demarcated when you open up that conversation path. Just don't punish a player for not choosing that path.

Punish?

Huh?

Patryn

tea_and_crumpets said:
Is it just me or did the guy who made that post on the Bioware forums seem like a bigot? He doesn't like gay characters because they are disturbing and the female choices (who are both white) are exotic because one has a tan....

SERIOUSLY.

But what about the poor straight girls?

Jerk said:
Punish?

Huh?

You take a fairly large Rival hit for turning him down.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Suairyu said:
Goddamnit. The hetero-exploitative Serena Williams ad got to you too!

You're a part of the problem now, Rez.
You heard the grunts and seen the muscles... She's more man than most of Gaf!

Qwomo

I've never played Dragon Age 2 (and never will because I have discerning tastes), but bisexual (or gay, whatever) male companion characters is a delightful idea, I think. I hope they carry that over into Mass Effect 3, but give it a bit more breadth and less transparency.

I'm sure someone's brought this up earlier in the thread, but it really brings to mind Torchwood. I'm watching the first season now and having all the main characters be bisexual (but otherwise entirely normal) is refreshing and actually kind of interesting.

So, Bioware: more Torchwood characters, please. Don't listen to uncomfortable bigots.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Qwomo said:
I've never played Dragon Age 2 (and never will because I have discerning tastes), but bisexual (or gay, whatever) male companion characters is a delightful idea, I think. I hope they carry that over into Mass Effect 3, but give it a bit more breadth and less transparency.

I'm sure someone's brought this up earlier in the thread, but it really brings to mind Torchwood. I'm watching the first season now and having all the main characters be bisexual (but otherwise entirely normal) is refreshing and actually kind of interesting.

So, Bioware: more Torchwood characters, please. Don't listen to uncomfortable bigots.

You find it refreshing, I find it silly.

Beth Cyra

Patryn said:
But what about the poor straight girls?

You take a fairly large Rival hit for turning him down.
Yeah, but not every one would take well to being turned down, so I fail to see how this is a negative.

And if there is any doubt why such an opinion might be met with hostility, it has to do with privilege. You can write it off as "political correctness" if you wish, but the truth is that privilege always lies with the majority. They're so used to being catered to that they see the lack of catering as an imbalance. They don't see anything wrong with having things set up to suit them, what's everyone's fuss all about? That's the way it should be, any everyone else should be used to not getting what they want.
This really hit home with me and is how I feel the majority's view on the lack of diversity in lead roles in games and games in general.

Qwomo

WanderingWind said:
You find it refreshing, I find it silly.
Well they implemented it poorly in Dragon Age 2, yes, I agree. As far as I can tell, they more or less plastered "FUCKS DUDES" on some male characters' heads, and then punished you for it. But if done tastefully (a la Torchwood), it has the potential to give a modicum of depth to a character.

Like I said, I hope Bioware does something similar in Mass Effect 3, just better.

Jerk

Banned
WanderingWind said:
He acts like you slapped him upside the face and you get a +10 or 20 to "rivalry." As punishments go, it's a slap on the wrist, but it's still there.

I still do not see a problem. He comes on to you, you shut him down and he is hurt by that. It is not like he is completely out of the running to be your bosom no-homo pal.

Qwomo said:
Well they implemented it poorly in Dragon Age 2, yes, I agree. As far as I can tell, they more or less plastered "FUCKS DUDES" on some male characters' heads, and then punished you for it. But if done tastefully (a la Torchwood), it has the potential to give a modicum of depth to a character.

Like I said, I hope Bioware does something similar in Mass Effect 3, just better.

Making almost the entire cast bisexual does not in any way add any depth. As a matter of fact, I think it is extremely lazy design. A healthy mix of gay, bisexual and straight characters would have been much more appropriate.

WanderingWind

Jerk said:
I still do not see a problem. He comes on to you, you shut him down and he is hurt by that. It is not like he is completely out of the running to be your bosom no-homo pal.
Like I said, it's not big, but it's still there.

Beth Cyra

WanderingWind said:
Like I said, it's not big, but it's still there.
But the thing is, are they suppose to have it so he is unaffected by you shooting him down?

That seems far more unrealistic then what others are finding fault with.

Sure some maybe cool with it, but if some makes a play it more then often will leave a sour taste in their mouth when they are shot down regarless of sexuality.

WanderingWind

TruePrime said:
But the thing is, are they suppose to have it so he is unaffected by you shooting him down?

That seems far more unrealistic then what others are finding fault with.

Sure some maybe cool with it, but if some makes a play it more then often will leave a sour taste in their mouth when they are shot down regarless of sexuality.

I think the base idea of "everybody is bisexual" caused more problems than it solved. It's the crux of the unrealistic-ness.

But, you know what? The game was mediocre to bad across the board. The crappy relationships are hardly worth the effort of discussing, in the grand scheme of things.

Qwomo

Jerk said:
Making almost the entire cast bisexual does not in any way add any depth.
It did in Torchwood. Although they probably reneg on that after the first season, I haven't gotten particularly far.

brian!

I really enjoyed the response. It would be interesting to think of how expensive a lot of things associated with the video game industry are (games, consoles, dlc, accessories, subscriptions, fast internet access etc.) and how that affects how the video game demographic is created, sorry if that's already been discussed in this topic.

Jerk

Banned
WanderingWind said:
I think the base idea of "everybody is bisexual" caused more problems than it solved. It's the crux of the unrealistic-ness.

I am not sure which problem they thought it would solve. Dreadful idea.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
including any sort of romance option in a video game is fucking retarded.
The only people who would be effected by romance in a game is someone who has never experienced it in real life. In that case they are targeting their main demographic; most gamers.

Zeal

Banned
All Hail C-Webb said:
The only people who would be effected by romance in a game is someone who has never experienced it in real life. In that case they are targeting their main demographic; most gamers.
lol this is a great quote.

WanderingWind said:

But, you know what? The game was mediocre to bad across the board. The crappy relationships are hardly worth the effort of discussing, in the grand scheme of things.
Unrealistic? Don't you know that sexuality is a choice? /sarcasm

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
shinobi602 said:
just by talking to companions they start wanting your cock outright.

Apparently this is what Bioware thinks of gay men.

And a 'No Homosexuality" option? Really?

Seconding that this is far from what's wrong with the game.

Straight male gamers do have it rough though, being left out and all.

ninj4junpei said:

man i really hate how i actually believe this

it's not a choice as much as a state of mind.. u have to be enlightened i guess

For me, Dragon Age 2 doesn't interest me as the first one did because the characters and their designs aren't as memorable or interesting.

A lot of reviews also say this.

Anyone else feel the same way?

ninj4junpei said:
For some it is, for some it isn't.

I don't understand why why everyone insists that being gay is so big of a deal that being born with something different in your brain is the only way it can happen.

It is very possible for humans to try something they never thought of before, like it and decide to stick exclusively to that.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
For me, Dragon Age 2 doesn't interest me as the first one did because the characters and their designs aren't as memorable or interesting.

wait is this thread actually about Dragon Age 2 the game??

wait, have you played it? or have you just read reviews and looked at screenshots

your answer to this question determines whether or not i leave this thread for good

Beth Cyra

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

Actually when it comes to characters, I end up feeling like most of the females are just copy pastes, they didn't change up the hair and stuff and there are still a select few that you just see everywhere. Combine this with everyone being relativly the same size you run into people that aren't really clones but close relatives and it's very distracting, or at least it was for me.

However that wasn't my big issue. If they had just made it so there was more then like 3 side quest area's per chapter it wouldn't been so bad.

blame space said:
is this thread actually about Dragon Age 2 the game??

wait, have you played it? or have you just read reviews and looked at screenshots

your answer to this question determines whether or not i leave this thread for good
I haven't!

But I love commenting on things I know nothing about.

Dark Octave said:
For some it is, for some it isn't.

I don't understand why why everyone insists that being gay is so big of a deal that being born with something different in your brain is the only way it can happen.

It is very possible for humans to try something they never thought of before, like it and decide to stick exclusively to that.
blame space said:
man i really hate how i actually believe this

it's not a choice as much as a state of mind.. u have to be enlightened i guess
I don't believe that it's impossible for sexuality to be a choice, it just typically isn't.

careful

Did that guy just ask for a no homo option? LMAO

I don't mind the gay thing at all. Find it pretty funny. Garrus gay romance in ME3 would be hilarious.

the "choice" is loaded as fuck to begin with because biology literally favors a certain orientation. good thing sexuality has little to do with biology (for me?)!

etiolate

Banned
You could have just asked if gay romantic options are well done without including a long, dumb thread post that was already locked once before on an entirely different forum.

All Hail C-Webb said:
Affected.

blame space said:
the "choice" is loaded as fuck to begin with because biology literally favors a certain orientation. good thing sexuality has little to do with biology (for me?)!
295vlgx.jpg

I'm not sure I follow. Then again, I am a determinist.

Top Bottom