• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bish's Official GTA IV Thread of Comparisons and Ignoring the OP at One's Peril

Phantast2k said:
I didn't have any noticable frame rate problems during my play through on PS3. Except for clusterfuck situations (6 star wanted level killing spree, fire truck water spraying).
However the situation was very different when I suffered from the freezing issues. The frame rate was way lower and I had constant 1 fps/sec moments: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10998914&postcount=1183
As you can see I fixed the issue right away. From there on everything was smooth&sexy.
So I assume people who are complaining about the framte rate issues on PS3 are the ones who generally have problems with their GTA (freezing and such).

I agree. I have had little to no Frame rate issues on my PS3.

Lefty42o

Banned
EverSoTrendy said:
Tearing? Sounds like bullshit, I'm playing over VGA at 1280X1024 and I have yet to see any tearing. You want tearing? Play Saints Row.

yeah i called bullshit as well. the best pacth was the v-synch pathc for saints row. man what a difference

Mash

andrewfee said:
2vci4qb.gif

What is this meant to be showing?

andrewfee said:

What is this suppose to show? The game surely doesn't run like that for me.

The game runs amazingly well and I don't feel it has any framerate issues. Nor screen tearing. Unless I just suck at noticing it, but I know exactly what tearing is and it doesn't happen for me.

Lefty42o

Banned
archnemesis said:
Tearing in the lower bottom of the screen.

there is no tearing. that is a shakey cam video of a crt monitor. there is a line scrolling up the screen casue its a video of a crt monitor.

now i will say it appears there is slow down but i have have never experienced nay slowdown while driving. maybe during some hectiv explosion scenes when i am fucking around but never when i am just driving along

Mash

Forsete said:
Screentearing. Look at the very bottom of the screen.

Serriously I don't know if you've really experienced screen tearing before because I can't see shit in that gif. Maybe I've become used to it now because of PC gaming but I really don't see it in that.

SpokkX

cjtiger300 said:
I agree. I have had little to no Frame rate issues on my PS3.

"issues" is kind of subjective. I have "issues" with the framerate on both 360 and PS3.

The framerate on 360 is much better though and doesn´t interfere with the gameplay as much (driving fast on PS3 = a bit hard to control in comparison with 360)

I had no freezing issues with my PS3 GTA either so it was ordinary framedrops

Forsete

Mash said:
Serriously I don't know if you've really experienced screen tearing before because I can't see shit in that gif. Maybe I've become used to it now because of PC gaming but I really don't see it in that.

Its at the very end of the screen, maybe 20mm from the screen bottom. And I know what a screentear looks like, I have played Assassins Creed. ;)

Mash

Forsete said:
Its at the very end of the screen, maybe 20mm from the screen bottom. And I know what a screentear looks like, I have played Assassins Creed. ;)

Well just count yourself lucky because that's nothing, so nothing that I can't even see it.

Forsete

Three screens from the sequence.

FjDIAkmvP.jpg

dixfPXrWt.jpg

This the 2nd screen you see it.

bPUIUAZcT.jpg

Yeah I know that is nothing, there are far FAAAR worse games out there.

Lefty42o

Banned
Mash said:
Well just count yourself lucky because that's nothing, so nothing that I can't even see it.

:lol nothing casue there is no tear.

screen tears are obvious. you don't have to debate them. and i see none in the gif, nor the video posted, nor from my own playing

dfyb

Banned
while he's already proven there was actual screen tearing in his vid, i've found an oddity that can almost look like screen tearing.

Untitled-6s.jpg

(light poles)

Untitled-6.jpg

(building close on left)

the motion blur is sometimes only applied to part of the vertical screen... it's like "blur tearing" :lol

edit: to clarify, because some people in this thread are obviously too dumb to understand simple sentences -- i'm not saying these two images show screen tearing at all. i'm noting the odd blur effects.

Lefty42o

Banned
Forsete said:
Three screens from the sequence.

FjDIAkmvP.jpg

dixfPXrWt.jpg

This the 2nd screen you see it.

bPUIUAZcT.jpg

Yeah I know that is nothing, there are far FAAAR worse games out there.

thats not a tear

i told you there is a dark bar scrolling up the screen that is captured by the camera from the crt monitor.

mixed with the changing lighting from the approaching overhead light.

dfyb

Banned
Lefty42o said:
:lol nothing casue there is no tear.

screen tears are obvious. you don't have to debate them. and i see none in the gif, nor the video posted, nor from my own playing
it's right infront of your eyes. you are one of the most childish, stubborn idiots on this forum.

he showed screen tearing in his anigif at the bottom -- it has nothing to do with how he captured the video. there's also large screenshots showing screen tearing earlier in the thread.

Forsete

Lefty42o said:
thats not a tear

i told you there is a dark bar scrolling up the screen that is captured by the camera from the crt monitor.

Uh I know what a "scan line" looks like as I used to videotape my old 32" CRT. Thats not it, it does not cut the screen. As you can see the cars brakelight is cut compared to the other screens.

Mash said:
tearing.png

I didn't notice it in the full video, and I probably would see it if I was playing the real game.

Lefty42o

Banned
dfyb said:
it's right infront of your eyes. you are one of the most childish, stubborn idiots on this forum.

he showed screen tearing in his anigif at the bottom -- it has nothing to do with how he captured the video. there's also large screenshots showing screen tearing earlier in the thread.

i do not see a tear. i see a line and if you look ahrd that line is moving. its hard in his 3 second or less gif but in his longer video if you look hard you can make out the dark bar scrolling up the screen.

its light so its hard to see but in the right lighting it shows up.

dfyb

Banned
Lefty42o said:
thats not a tear

jesus christ. learn to read. i said in plain english that it isn't a tear and that it is something else.

but no, it's not because of the dark bar caused by the difference in refresh rate. neither is the tear shown in his anigif. if it was the dark bar, the only difference would be the brightness. but it's plainly fucking obvious that the screen is torn because the picture does not align.

Lefty42o

Banned
archnemesis said:
tearing.png

I didn't notice it in the full video, and I probably would see it if I was playing the real game.

thats not a tear. its just a brighter line as the box that is scrolling up the screen from the capture moves up. play his longer video and it pops out like a sore thumb.

Mash

Honestly all I see is motion blur and bad quality video. I feel like I'm going mad but I'm really not sure you guys fully know what tearing is. I know that will piss you off but there you go.

Lefty42o

Banned
dfyb said:
jesus christ. learn to read. i said in plain english that it isn't a tear and that it is something else.

but no, it's not because of the dark bar caused by the difference in refresh rate. neither is the tear shown in his anigif. if it was the dark bar, the only difference would be the brightness. but it's plainly fucking obvious that the screen is torn because the picture does not align.

it is the scan line. its def not a tear.

insulting me will not change that

bj00rn_

Banned
andrewfee said:
http://sr-388.net/videos/DSCF0414.MP4

This is about as smooth as the 360 version ever gets when you're in a car. As you can see, there's plenty of tearing. However, as the game is consistently below 30fps, but often above 20, I think this is maybe a case where having V-Sync off is the right option. I think I'd prefer close to 30fps rather than a consistent 15/20fps if the PS3 version has V-Sync enabled. Either way, it runs like crap on both systems, so we all lose out.

I didn't see the video when it was first posted... And now I just need to say that if you're talking about the slight unsynchronization of the output device and the recording device then I just can't believe you ignorant nitpicking pricks are coming up with this insanity... Again; Even though it doesn't matter; What is shown in the video is not "TEARING" in the game itself, it's simply slightly unsynchronized display and video recording device. You get the same thing only worse when you're f.ex. recording 50Hz output with a 60Hz video-recorder, in which case there would be smaller darker bars rolling upwards or downwards. Please tell me you were kidding and that you already knew that? Actually, I prefer that I'm wrong here and that I completely missed something...

Lefty42o

Banned
bj00rn_ said:
I didn't see the video when it was first posted... And now I just need to say that if you're talking about the slightly unsyncronization of the output device and the recording device then I just can't believe you ignorant nitpicking pricks are coming up with this insanity... Again; Even though it doesn't matter; What is shown in the video is not "TEARING" in the game itself, it's simply slightly un-synchronized display and video recording device. You get the same thing only worse when you're f.ex. recording 50Hz output with a 60Hz video-recorder, in which case there would be smaller darker bars rolling upwards or downwards. Please tell me you were kidding and that you already knew that? Actually, I prefer that I'm wrong here and that I completely missed something...

thank you.

Forsete

Its not.. the bar does not cut the image displayed on the screen. Do you see that the image has been cut? There is a cut in the reflected light from the brake-lights. The road lines dont even line up in that shot.

I give up.. HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY THUR BE NO SCREENTUR.

Lefty42o

Banned
dfyb said:

and still not a tear.

i told you its a combination of things and its easier to see in a longer video where the scrolling line pops in and out. which is why i said some will assume in that capture it would appear like tearing.

Lefty42o

Banned
andrewfee said:
There are artefacts caused by the sync line, but that example above is tearing.

Unfortunately I only have SD capture hardware, and the game probably runs differently there. There is tearing in the game though, and as you can clearly see from the video, it doesn't run smoothly on 360. (which is what it was intended to show)

then there must be a issue with your 360. remember this if you get the rrod soon. cause my does not run like yours. to tired to make a video right now but i will later to show how it runs on mine.

next that is not a tear its the scan line like i said before from your longer video

Lefty42o

Banned
andrewfee said:
If you actually watch the video again, you'll see that the sync line is about halfway up the screen at that point, not at the bottom.

the synch line is not one line. its a 1/3rd screen size bar in your capture. and its not always visible which happens. most times there will also be flickering but your capture does not flicker.

dfyb

Banned
Lefty42o said:
and still not a tear.

i told you its a combination of things and its easier to see in a longer video where the scrolling line pops in and out. which is why i said some will assume in that capture it would appear like tearing.
yeah you keep trying to blame the scrolling dark bars that are caused by the video capture device having a different refresh rate than the TV. but the black scrolling bars are never going to CUT the screen, like shown in the anigifs. the marks on the street DO NOT LINE UP.

if you still want to go ahead and think it's just the dark bars, then PROVE it by going into photoshop and balance out the values for the top and bottom parts of the tear so that they match up. until you have some evidence to back up your claims, stop spamming this thread.

Lefty42o

Banned
dfyb said:
yeah you keep trying to blame the scrolling dark bars that are caused by the video capture device having a different refresh rate than the TV. but the black scrolling bars are never going to CUT the screen, like shown in the anigifs. the marks on the street DO NOT LINE UP.

if you still want to go ahead and think it's just the dark bars, then PROVE it by going into photoshop and balance out the values for the top and bottom parts of the tear so that they match up. until you have some evidence to back up your claims, stop spamming this thread.

how am i spamming the thread? so contributing to a discussion is spamming?

next the lines are a blurry mess. i aint going out of my way at 6 am to show what his longer video shows. the poping in and out of the scroll line.

Banned
Lefty42o said:
the synch line is not one line. its a 1/3rd screen size bar in your capture. and its not always visible which happens. most times there will also be flickering but your capture does not flicker.
Watch the video – it goes up the screen at a constant rate, it's just not always visible depending on what it's over. It doesn't jump around or change positions though, it's always moving at the same rate, and at that point in the video it's about halfway up, not near the bottom.

I regret having posted that video now, but there is plenty of tearing in the 360 version, and that is tearing at the bottom of the screen. The video was really to illustrate how ‘smooth’ the 360 ever gets when you're in a car more than anything else, which isn't very smooth at all, as you can see.

Lefty42o

Banned
andrewfee said:
Watch the video – it goes up the screen at a constant rate, it's just not always visible depending on what it's over. It doesn't jump around or change positions though, it's always moving at the same rate, and at that point in the video it's about halfway up, not near the bottom.

I regret having done that video now, but there is plenty of tearing in the 360 version, and that is tearing at the bottom of the screen.

so much tearing :lol

yes if your going to make a video do it with a source so you do not have to even defend scan lines or tearing.

next i do not have the slow down you showed. later hwen the wife is up i will ask her in what box the camera is in and will make a long game play video to show how it looks on my 360. i would have issues if i had slow down like that durring fdriving or anything. i do not

dfyb

Banned
Lefty42o said:
how am i spamming the thread? so contributing to a discussion is spamming?

next the lines are a blurry mess. i aint going out of my way at 6 am to show what his longer video shows. the poping in and out of the scroll line.
we've supplied proof that the images don't line up. we've proven you wrong. if it was merely the scan line, it wouldn't cut the image like that. it would only change the values.

at this point i'm not even sure you are actually reading or comprehending our posts.

edit:
GTAtear2.JPG

you think this is caused by the "shaky cam" too? :lol

Brashnir

andrewfee said:

I regret having done that video now, but there is plenty of tearing in the 360 version, and that is tearing at the bottom of the screen.

Couple questions, since I can't watch the longer video (work computer).

1 - Does the tearing always show up in the same area of the screen? During the end credits, I noticed tearing only at the bottom of the screen, just like that .gif. This might explain why I didn't notice it during gameplay, as I'm not really concentrating on that area of the screen when playing.

2 - You're playing over VGA, correct? If the tearing tends to show up in that part of the screen, people playing with a little overscan wouldn't even see tearing there, as it would be off-screen.

iceatcs

dfyb said:
we've supplied proof that the images don't line up. we've proven you wrong. if it was merely the scan line, it wouldn't cut the image like that. it would only change the values.

at this point i'm not even sure you are actually reading or comprehending our posts.

It is easy to work out if you looking his name. There is no point to discuss something who on it.

Lefty42o

Banned
dfyb said:

i do not see it cutting the image. its so hard to make out the blurry mess that is the street lines moving at the speed the car is.

yes i am reading your posts we just have a differing opinion and you seem to take offense to that.

bj00rn_

Banned
andrewfee said:
There are artefacts caused by the sync line, but that example above is tearing.

Unfortunately I only have SD capture hardware, and the game probably runs differently there. There is tearing in the game though, and as you can clearly see from the video, it doesn't run smoothly on 360. (which is what it was intended to show)

That's what I should have done in the first place, just used the before, during and after, thanks.

I'm mainly playing the PS3 version, so I'm not trying to "disprove" anything about the performance of the 360 version, I'm just jaw-dropped on how desperately far down the gutter this discussion have gone. I'll not be surprised if we're soon back to 400% zoom..

As far as the "tearing" goes, what you just quoted is probably still not tearing (Neither unsynced devices in this case) AFAIK, tearing does not pop in and out between single frames just like that. It's probably a glitch in the texture drawing or whatever, you know as in: The game is not always perfect...

..I still can't believe someone discovered a single fucking frame with slightly skewed...something. I just can't fathom it.

Lefty42o

Banned
bj00rn_ said:
I'm mainly playing the PS3 version, so I'm not trying to "disprove" anything about the performance of the 360 version, I'm just jaw-dropped on how desperately far down the gutter this discussion have gone. I'll not be surprised if we're soon back to 400% zoom..

As far as the "tearing" goes, what you just quoted is probably still not tearing (Neither unsynced devices in this case) AFAIK, tearing does not pop in and out between single frames just like that. It's probably a glitch in the texture drawing or whatever, you know as in: The game is not always perfect...

..I still can't believe someone discovered a single fucking frame with slightly skewed...something. I just can't fathom it.

:lol

all this tearing just ruins the game

and now the junior attacks. :lol i am a second class citizen and my opinion matters less cause my tag says junior.

iceatcs

Lefty42o said:
:lol

all this tearing just ruins the game

and now the junior attacks. :lol i am a second class citizen and my opinion matters less cause my tag says junior.

I think it's more something do with your name.

No-one here like crackhead/pothead.

Top Bottom