• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black demo?

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Anyone get it yet? I just called my local Game Crazy and they said he has it. Gonna head over after I eat this pasta. Will be back shortly with impressions! :)

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Pasta is Freaking good. Yes, you do have pre-order the game, which I totally don't mind (was playing on doing so anyways). Well I'm off to go get it now har har

olimario said:
How do you get the demo?
My PSTwo and I need it.

(Below)
I think the blur is fine, I mean it looks cool and it really won't change gameplay all that much. And can you really focus on your enemy anyways when you're trying to reload a shotgun or something?

Troidal

acr0nym said:
Anyone get it yet? I just called my local Game Crazy and they said he has it. Gonna head over after I eat this pasta. Will be back shortly with impressions! :)

Yes please!

I am particularly concerned by how they are adding a blur when you are reloading weapons. I saw the video of it, and it really felt unnatural. It breaks the rhythm of the game too. I thought this game was about shooting everything you see non-stop.

Let me know if you felt bothered or thought it was ok.

bumpkin

Troidal said:
Yes please!

I am particularly concerned by how they are adding a blur when you are reloading weapons. I saw the video of it, and it really felt unnatural. It breaks the rhythm of the game too. I thought this game was about shooting everything you see non-stop.

I think it makes perfect sense. If you were reloading a gun in real life, everything else in your line of sight would get blurry while you focused your sight on your weapon. Stare at something, then look at something else. It's like maaaaaaagic.

Though the weapons should be blurry when you're not reloading for the effect to make sense.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I expect extensive comparison shots of the PS2 and Xbox version like the Burnout Revenge demo. I want to see how superior the PS2 version looks

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
The cool thing about the blur is once you get your clip into the gun, the blur goes away while you slap, click, prepare it. Basically, they stay true to life, with focus only given to fitting the clip into the chamber.

Andy787

Banned
Btw, GameCrazy has had the demo for at least a few days. I played it a few days ago and was going to post impressions, but figured it had already been talked about here.

I thought it was pretty damn good. The left analog stick seemed broken, but other than that it controlled well, and looked very impressive. The loading screen/story stuff seemed like everyday EA generic-ness, but other than that it was a lot of fun. Physics and damage effects are pretty amazing for PS2.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
i would like to play this demo but i dont want to preorder.

can someone hook a brotha up

Troidal

bumpkin said:
I think it makes perfect sense. If you were reloading a gun in real life, everything else in your line of sight would get blurry while you focused your sight on your weapon. Stare at something, then look at something else. It's like maaaaaaagic.

Though the weapons should be blurry when you're not reloading for the effect to make sense.

Yes I am aware of that. I think you or someone else mentioned that in the other Black thread. But do we need everything to be realistic? And people in the army actually don't look at their weapons when they reload, maybe just a glance, but not stare at it.

Also, it may have felt more natural if the reload animation was like Killzone when your actually looking away from the battlefield. But in Black, your sight remains on the field, and the whole reload animation is happening at the bottom right. Nobody cares to look at reloads in FPS and that's why the blur feels strikingly odd.

So the question is: What do you want me to do when I play Black? Look at the clip reload just so I feel the realism in it?

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Troidal said:
Yes please!

There is no blur effect in the demo... So it didn't bother me?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
acr0nym said:

I think hes talking about when the background goes kinda hazy when your reloading, then goes back to normal.

Does anyone know if EB is supposed to get this demo? I might go preorder this weekend if that's the case.

Also Came Crazy is Holywood video's offshoot right?

Kobold said:
I'm playing the review code as we speak! :D

brob90.gif

Your super happy avatar + this news = me sick to my stomach *grr* :p

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
You may have noticed, Black is not some kind of 'deep' gaming experience. You shoot guns, lots of guns. That's pretty much all there is to it...

Combine Ghost Recon with TimeSplitters and give it awesome gun sounds, and you have Black basically. (Sans the humor)

I'm at the fourth level or so, and I'm finding it a tad boring and repetative. I was expecting every level to offer something unique. But outside of different enviroments, the challenges are so far, identical. (dudes coming from everywhere, dudes shooting from sniper positions, or with RPG's high up, dudes in buildings, etc. That's the extent of the variation so far)

Outside of that, it looks nice most of the time, nice solid framerate (Xbox) awesome looking guns and masterfully sounding. Cutscenes are real life action (well, 'action', there is two dudes in a room, you only see their faces and the voice acting is horrendous...), very boring and long, non-skippable.

So yeah, I'm enjoying it somewhat, but it's not as much a spectacle yet, but then again maybe I'm not at the best parts yet.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Ok I'm post a little impression. Oh and I'm really mad that I don't have a review code of this game. Anyways one to the impression of the demo disk.

First off when you guys get a chnace to play this note, to me this seems like really early code. Theres no blur or hazey effect while loading. I saw some pretty crappy animations as well. There was one part a member of my team floated right past me not even walking! But any ways my first run out on the demo I just ran out and started blasting. I died in like 30sec.

So reloaded the demo and I went to try again. At first I thought it might be the ps2 controller (it wasn't, although it does take a bit of getting use to) But you totally have to take cover in this game, you will not survive just running out gunning. I also noticed there was no rumble when I shot the gun (again very early code?) The game looks great with everything flying everywhere as you shot. Also take note the demo is extremly short. I took my time and still finished it under 10 mins.

So that is why I wish I the review code of this game. Man does it show great potential, and after looking back at the video's I can't wait to get my hands on it next month. If you have any questions feel free to ask. :)

Kobold

blackadde said:
how fast does it play? movement speed, damage, etc.
I'm playing on hard. On normal you don't need to take cover, you can just run in and kill everything. One thing that annoys me is that enemies can take half a clip in the gut before dying. The animations are still crappy and the physics are almost non-existant. Plus, the destructable enviroments are very selective. So only if it makes sense you can destroy it. Not just anything and sometimes it's inconsistent.

Plus you run incredibly slow hehe. Levels are pretty big and for some reason ( I think it's becuase they need to stream data) they have ledges and the like, so when you go down it, you can't return to the first part of the level. Which is dumb, since you have to gather objects and destroy stuff as secondary objectives. So if you miss those first ones you have to restart, which is dumb.

But shooting the guns is cool.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
blackadde said:
how fast does it play? movement speed, damage, etc.

You can play it fast or slow. 3rd time playing I took my timed and sniped everyone. 4th time I sped through it and using lots of grenades. Kinda on same pace as Halo I would say just doesn't have as smooth control. But it is a demoa dn its the duel shock, so take that for what you will. AI was also really dumb. Damage was good as I expected. nothing wowed me. But no other game as taken it to the level as Black has, stuff falling apart everywhere.

Troidal

acr0nym said:

Thanks for checking! :)

Kobold said:
You may have noticed, Black is not some kind of 'deep' gaming experience. You shoot guns, lots of guns. That's pretty much all there is to it...

Cool, thanks for your impressions. I was a bit worried it was going to be like that :/
The whole "wooh, exclusive to only media" type of promotion had me thinking there wasn't much depth in the first place.

*slowly slipping away from buy-list*

Tiger

Banned
Marconelly said:
Did Criterion keep their tradition of 60 FPS against all odds?

I'm sure this is the case. This team does not sacrafice their 60fps. Thats one of the many reason why I love them. :D

It sounds like this game isn't gonna be the mind blowing experience many were hoping. It's sounding like an 8.5 game right now. I'm sure it will get some 9's too.

Joico

they might be banking on the "shooting guns is awesome" experience too much. hopefully it will be more than that...

Kobold

Joico said:
Safe to say, damage modeling = Geo Mod on steroids??
No, not really. :)

It's not like Geo-Mod at all. You can shoot cover and destroy it. Some other things. But no shooting holes in anything (except cover and selective stuff that bars your way maybe) of that kind.

BTW, off-topic, who sets the user titles under your name on these boards? Aperantly someone granted me the honor of this marvelous user-title. But I would love to ask him why and to what use?

Kobold

Marconelly said:
Did Criterion keep their tradition of 60 FPS against all odds?
I think so. Theres been no slowdown whatsoever so far and it's pretty fluid. So it's a perfectly stable 30 or 60 FPS. Personall I don't care which one of those as long as it's stable. :)

Pretty impressive with some of the nice graphics and effects going on on screen most of the time.

Tiger

Banned
Kobold said:
BTW, off-topic, who sets the user titles under your name on these boards? Aperantly someone granted me the honor of this marvelous user-title. But I would love to ask him why and to what use?

:lol

winter

Kobold said:
No, not really. :)

It's not like Geo-Mod at all. You can shoot cover and destroy it. Some other things. But no shooting holes in anything (except cover and selective stuff that bars your way maybe) of that kind.

bwahhahaa

jett

D-Member
Troidal said:
What do you want me to do when I play Black? Look at the clip reload just so I feel the realism in it?

How about not reloading while standing in front of the enemy like a stupid retard?

I had to roll my eyes at Alex Ward on last week's 1up show.

"GUNS ARE SO COOL I WANT TO MAKE A GAME THAT DEPICTS THEM AS THEY ARE IN REAL LIFE"

And then Black ends up having no blood. Guns are cool except for what they're used for!

Troidal

jett said:
How about not reloading while standing in front of the enemy like a stupid retard?

Look man...duck and cover might be your style of play. I just want to go out with guns blazing.

And for a game like Black, which they promoted as "shoot everything, non-stop mayhem", somehow this blur thing doesn't fit well. Unless they misled us to believe it was something actually more of an orthodox FPS...which in early impressions seems that way.

Kevtones

I really like the demo. Seems like the AI acts reasonable and the duck/cover idea is used realistically. You NEED to protect yourself or you'll get shot the fuck up. I, for one, LOVE the demo.

BTW, we've had the demo since....Saturday @ my Game Crazy.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Anyone know if this demo is available in other stores, like Best Buy? they uusally give out demos out for free and I dont want to preorder the game because paying full price is for suckers

Any1

Seems like this game will be another example of the old tech holding back the true potential of a game like this, or at least that's what i hope it is. I have been waiting for a game to truly reflect realtime damage, it's kind of my little holy grail that i have been wanting for ever since i played Red Faction. I knew that Black would only use tricks to give the impression.

But i believe with next gen, there shouldn't be anymore excuses and it should only be a matter of time until we get actual physics-based real-time distruction. Maybe will have to wait till Black 2.

GeNoMe

I picked up the demo the day before yesterday, and i have to say that the game looks pretty good for a ps2 titel.

what annoys me tough is the poor playability of strafing and aiming.

black_13

Banned
I played it brieftly at my local store and while I was blown away, this is deffinitly the E3 2005 demo that they had given to the press. If you read this preview from the E3 2k5 impressions from Gamespot it seems like they are talking about the same demo.

And if you read their new preview of a later build, it seems that they have improved quite a few things including the animation.

Regardless I loved the demo and it's shame that despite the fact that I preordered I'm not getting a demo. What I can say is that the demo will be available in the next OPM magazine (the one after the Kojima cover).

black_13 said:
I played it brieftly at my local store and while I was blown away, this is deffinitly the E3 2005 demo that they had given to the press. If you read this preview from the E3 2k5 impressions from Gamespot it seems like they are talking about the same demo.

And if you read their new preview of a later build, it seems that they have improved quite a few things including the animation.

Regardless I loved the demo and it's shame that despite the fact that I preordered I'm not getting a demo. What I can say is that the demo will be available in the next OPM magazine (the one after the Kojima cover).

I have that OPM, and in the blurb where they mention what demo's will be included in the next mag there was no mention of Black.

Top Bottom