• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLACKROOM announced (new game by John Romero, Kickstarter)

McDougles

Looks like they knew it would be a close call to getting funding without a gameplay demo, and they probably can't make a game if they get the bare minimum $700,000.

Business decision is business decision, don't think it's anything more.

JamesAR15

Seems like they realized they were wasting time launching this without a prototype, and it would have probably cost them the KS.

Won't be backing but interested to see what they come up with.

NotLiquid

Good move on Romero's part. I hope the fact that they outright paused it means they're not just going to rush out a crappy prototype like Red Ash tried to sell.

Corpekata

Banned
Admirable, as they would have likely made the goal even with the barebones approach. Of course that might mean they were expecting to do gangbusters and go very high over the goal too.

DirtyLarry

So I backed it myself, that is how I got the message I shared on the last page, but I do get why everyone else was hesitant to do so.

For myself, $29 was not a heck of a lot to take a chance on an old school industry vet who I was well aware has not done much to make me take that chance on them. I am just a sucker for a good comeback story and I also do know what it is like to be a creative type (granted not a game developer) and to lose one's way for years. I am sure Romero's worst enemy has always been himself as once others doubt you doubting yourself becomes your own personal demon, even if there was justification for the doubt, it is a hell of a thing to shake once it is there.

With the above said I do realize most people do not view things like I do, that it is very much a what can you do for me know mentality not a what have you done for me, so yeah, I do hope for their sake this means the next iteration is successful. The upcoming demo will be the true determining factor.

Krammy

As someone who is very against Kickstarter projects with nothing to show, this was a smart move by the team, and they've earned a bit of my respect for jumping on that so quickly (unlike say, Red Ash).

I'm sincerely hopeful they put a solid effort into the demo, and if so, that it pays them back with a more successful campaign.

Instro

Good to hear. If they come back with a good demo, and a more well put together campaign, they could pull in a hell of a lot more than 700k.

Rockk

Glad they're still going to make the game. Hopefully delaying the kickstarter doesn't delay the Winter 2018 release date they had. That's already so far away.

avens

Neo Member
This project definitely needed more thought and work put into it before presenting it. Many have pointed out the game was too ambitious, and in 2016 John Videogame's name is not enough to sell anything.

I'm glad the team was wise enough to not cancel the project altogether. If the next presentation shows the game is maturing well then I'll think about backing it.

LewieP

It's the right decision. I think it is a poor strategy to think you can make money on Kickstarter just for turning up.

Doesn't help that Romero hasn't been credited with anything particularly noteworthy this side of Daikatana.

Bl@de

Good move even if it must be hard for them to admit (initial) failure. But show some good gameplay, work on your pitch and I'll back the project.

BiggNife

Much better they went this route than do the Red Ash thing where they just poop out a Unity demo that was clearly made in the span of a week.

I'll be curious to see how it turns out.

avens

Neo Member
This was exactly my issue with the Kickstarter. I'm reluctant to put money down on a project that has nothing but concepts. Show me at least a working prototype.
Also, they should reconsider a PC-only release with that high of a funding goal.

$700,000 (600K after Kickstarter's cut and fulfilling rewards) is a very, very, very low budget for a FPS game with a single player campaign, let alone for one as ambitious as BlackRoom. With that you can't fund a experienced team working full-time, rent and expenses for a year (among others), so with that amount a port is out of the question.

Of course, since the funding goal is not enough to make the game them I'm certain that if the Kickstarter is successful then there will be external investors involved. That is the point of a "kick start" after all. With that said, funding-wise a port depends on how much they put.

However there's a technical reason why this game has to be for PC only. That is that making FPS games be multi-platform compatible is the main reason why no one releases fast-paced FPS games anymore, as gamepads just don't allow that. For example, when Doom 3 and Doom 4 were announced to have consoles releases I immediately knew they were going to be really slow and the gameplay to be horror-like instead of with multiple enemies, changing the subgenre of Romero's Doom 1 and Doom 2.

dLMN8R

Very smart move to cancel this dud of a campaign.

$700,000 (600K after Kickstarter's cut and fulfilling rewards) is very, very, very low for a FPS game with a single player campaign, let alone for one as ambitious as this one. With that you can't fund a experienced team working full-time, rent and expenses for a year, and because of that I'm certain that if the goal is met external investors will be involved.

Making FPS games be multi-platform compatible is the main reason why no one releases fast-paced FPS games anymore. Gamepads just don't allow that. Therefore, Romero's new project has to be PC only. For example, when Doom 3 and Doom 4 were announced to have consoles releases I immediately knew they were going to be really slow and the gameplay to be horror-like instead of with multiple enemies.

This was my problem from the very beginning of the thread. It turns out it was buried in the video that the only purpose of the Kickstarter campaign was to convince some unknown external investor to kick in the necessary budget.

This pitch is a game that could easily cost $10 million. Primarily because of its "10 hour single player campaign"

avens

Neo Member
Very smart move to cancel this dud of a campaign.

This was my problem from the very beginning of the thread. It turns out it was buried in the video that the only purpose of the Kickstarter campaign was to convince some unknown external investor to kick in the necessary budget.

This pitch is a game that could easily cost $10 million. Primarily because of its "10 hour single player campaign"

I don't have a problem with that. Anyone that has started a company, a project or anything besides being a 9 to 5 employee knows that there never, ever is a single funding source.

Several popular Kickstarter projects went for the same "kick start" route and the masses still funded them. For example the Oculus Rift and Shenmue 3 were very much successful, and people continue to praise John Carmack and Yu Suzuki after they went for Facebook financing and Sony publishing, respectively. Guess Kickstarter backers don't have a problem with that because "kick start" is on the name of the website.

People didn't back off because of that. They did (and me too) because there was no BlackRoom game footage. No one knows if Romero still can make FPS games, and I don't know if the game will actually interest me.

The wording on your post is not neutral though. On the stream Romero made very clear that the campaign is not to "only convince some unknown external investor". Here there are two goals to be achieved at the same time:
a) Have funds to make the game (at least at the beginning); and
b) With the campaign goal achieved the investors he already has lined in will chip in. Meeting the campaign goal is a requirement, or condition to be met prior to the disbursement, alike any other regular project. If Romero doesn't fulfill the requirement then they won't finance the project.

What he and I described is not the same of what you wrote, because there is no convincing somebody and he already knows the investors.

Really smart move on their part. Good thing they're not taking the Red Ash route of slapping a demo together during the Kickstarter.

Havoc2049

I backed the campaign, but this is a good move. After the first day, the campaign wasn't moving along at the pace it needed to.

at least they realized how they should have done it from the beginning. better late than never I suppose

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I hope they impress us, it's not too late for that. If they come back with some amazing progress to show that could make a backer out of me.

Mr. Tibbs

Romero thinks the demo and KS relaunch is around 1-2 months away. It won't be a full level, rather a vertical slice to demonstrate the kind of gameplay they're aiming for.

“We know the only reason why it wouldn’t is because we didn’t show gameplay. And they’ve told us that. We’re not in a massive rush to hurry up, get all the money and start making the game – we want to do it right. So we’ll stop the fundraising for now, finish the demo we’re working on and then do it again. If they don’t like that, then we don’t make that game – but we think they will like it.”

Erevador

Romero did the right thing. Fans deserve a better look at what they are getting into, and Romero deserves a fair shot to get his game funded if he can show something people want.

Sounds like a good thing. He's been engaged and responsive here, and deserves credit for it.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
I think the theming as much as the lack of tangible gameplay demo hurt this kickstarter. no one wants to shoot virtual weapons against virtual bad guys on a holodeck in a loveletter to doom.

they want to play a slayer album cover.

xrnzaaas

LOL I think they realized that Romero name doesn't mean a lot these days. I wouldn't be surprised if the game will be put on halt indefinitely due to "unexpected complications" (aka we're trying to save face).

soultron

Banned
Smart move. They should know that the audience they're going for is discerning enough now that gameplay footage is required.

This is probably the right choice, although Blackroom isn't out of the woods yet. I feel like this gameplay demo has to be really really special to drive up support because after this KS failed the next one is going to be put under a much greater level of scrutiny then it would normally and any imperfections is gonna be pointed out immediately.

It would also help if the main character wasn't the mayor of boringtown, but good gameplay can at least make that tolerable.

I think the theming as much as the lack of tangible gameplay demo hurt this kickstarter. no one wants to shoot virtual weapons against virtual bad guys on a holodeck in a loveletter to doom.

they want to play a slayer album cover.
Yeah the setting they were pitching looked zzz

mrpeabody

Postponing to a future date is the best move they could make. Better to do it now than slog through another week of bad press putting your name next to the word "failing".

I wonder if "the team is at work on a demo" means there is a team, or if they're frantically interviewing.

Id rather subscribe to a patreon of him making new doom/quake maps every few months to be honest.

That would have been perfect. It would reintroduce Romero to the gaming world, show that he can still make great levels, and demonstrate that he can consistently deliver on his promises.

Meanwhile, he's building a community of fans and supporters, who can be the core of any future fundraising. Plus, he could actually talk to them, and find out important feedback like "don't launch your crowdfunding campaign without any content".

Run that for a year while you're building your prototype, THEN launch your Kickstarter.

Top Bottom