• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLACKROOM announced (new game by John Romero, Kickstarter)

zon

This project has one big word stamped across it, and it's not "success". In fact, the word I'm thinking of is the opposite of success.

OBias

I feel like they should scrap the kickstarter, wait 6'ish months, get some work on it and have a small very early concept video showing what the game is about, a vertical slice video of "why" people should be excited for the game and what sets it apart from other fps games.

I totally agree. Also, I'm pretty sure Romero can get in touch with his old partners from Raven Software. People who made Heretic and Hexen under his guidance could give him a much more valuable shout-out than Randy Pitchford.

Why not get John Carmack to make a video? What about Gabe freaking Newell?

I want this kickstarter to succeed so badly but it's like they didn't prepare for it.

Pitching a game on kickstarter you need more than a simple "idea" of a game, you need to show work in progress, you need to be clear about WHAT the game is, what do you do in the game? How does it play? The pitch video/write up isn't clear in the least about what the actual game they are pitching is.

I feel like they should scrap the kickstarter, wait 6'ish months, get some work on it and have a small very early concept video showing what the game is about, a vertical slice video of "why" people should be excited for the game and what sets it apart from other fps games.

Given you understand that, why would you want this to succeed? It just shows to me these guys have no clue what they're doing and have absolutely no faith they can deliver on a modern videogame.

As for your suggestion they scrap the kickstarter, it is abundantly clear they have no intention of doing any work on this project unless they're getting paid first. They will risk 0 dollars of their own money to make this a reality.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Tomorrow a special video with guest developer Peter Molyneux, lead designer of the Kickstarter smash hit Godus.

Mr. Tibbs

Tomorrow a special video with guest developer Peter Molyneux, lead designer of the Kickstarter smash hit Godus.

Haha, crazy you should mention that. When Ion Storm was first announced (as Dream Design), it happened around the same time that Molyneux left Bullfrog. There was a lot of reports and speculation on sites like Bluesnews and the like that he would be joining Romero, Hall, and Wilson, but, alas, they held out for Spector, who was about to make a Command and Conquer FPS/RPG for EA.

BiggNife

Who is Randy Pitchford and why is he hated?

Founder of Gearbox software who has the reputation of being the closest thing the video game industry has to a snake oil salesman

Most notably he did a lot of promotion for Aliens Colonial Marines, which was advertised as being developed by Gearbox, when in fact the majority of content was outsourced to C-Tier dev houses, which wasn't revealed until right before release. There's also scuttlebutt that Gearbox intentionally used funds from Sega intended for Aliens to continue production on the Borderlands games but that was never proven AFAIK.

Basically he has a long history of spouting a lot of lies and bullshit to promote product. So he is exactly the last kind of person who should be promoting a kickstarter like this.

Stiler

Given you understand that, why would you want this to succeed? It just shows to me these guys have no clue what they're doing and have absolutely no faith they can deliver on a modern videogame.

As for your suggestion they scrap the kickstarter, it is abundantly clear they have no intention of doing any work on this project unless they're getting paid first. They will risk 0 dollars of their own money to make this a reality.

Why do I want it to succeed? Because I think John is a very talented developer who gets way too much flak for ONE bad game (Daikatana) which people associate with him instead of Doom/Quake/Heretic/etc.

I'd like to see him come from behind that shadow and make a good new game that people like.

I just think they went about the kickstarter/pitch the wrong way and should have took more time.

Why do I want it to succeed? Because I think John is a very talented developer who gets way too much flak for ONE bad game (Daikatana) which people associate with him instead of Doom/Quake/Heretic/etc.

I'd like to see him come from behind that shadow and make a good new game that people like.

I just think they went about the kickstarter/pitch the wrong way and should have took more time.
I get that he created that genre with those games, but I think it's kind of crazy to entrust him to make a game now without any idea or notion of what the game will be like. If he still has the chops to make a good game (and no, it's not a given).

Like look at Overload. It was from the creators of Descent. They had a prototype that showed yeah, they still can make a solid 6DOF shooter with tight responsive controls.

I feel It's ridiculous to blindly be excited for a new game because the developer made acclaimed games years and years ago, regardless of how groundbreaking those games were

I get that he created that genre with those games, but I think it's kind of crazy to entrust him to make a game now without any idea or notion of what the game will be like. If he still has the chops to make a good game (and no, it's not a given).

Like look at Overload. It was from the creators of Descent. They had a prototype that showed yeah, they still can make a solid 6DOF shooter with tight responsive controls.

I feel It's ridiculous to blindly be excited for a new game because the developer made acclaimed games years and years ago, regardless of how groundbreaking those games were

Well he at least has made a Doom level recently to show he still gots it (level design wise).

all things considered, blackroom is probably still our greatest hope for a singleplayer FPS that has a chance to be better than 90s doom & quake

it's a tragic state of affairs, but this is the world we live in

Can you elaborate?
There's just a lot of stuff about how Ion Storm was completely self-indulgent and how Romero was more interested in being a gaming rockstar than actually producing product. It tells the story of "John Romero is going to make you his bitch" as if Romero was hesitant to use the ad, but given the attitude of "Daikatana is gonna be awesome because yeah" it's easy to see why he would find it acceptable.

I never said the idea was bad or even inferred it. The Kickstarter itself is in fact...A FAILURE!

It's at $100k so it isn't a total failure yet. This one could end up being a slow burn to the end. But all the same, they did not start this one off well. A large information dump with a few pieces of concept art and no real content to showcase.

Well he at least has made a Doom level recently to show he still gots it (level design wise).
Idk. I honestly don't think that's a good indication. I'd argue there's a difference between making a level in an already-made game with controls and an engine you're intimately familiar with, and making a totally new game in a new engine with a new theme, new aesthetic, new controls, etc

This is the biggest bummer ever so far. The pitch seems to be targeted directly at (pandering to) me and it's led by someone who's made some of my favorite games ever and yet, this doesn't even come close making me comfortable backing it. It's hard to believe that Romero, even in his modern, slightly humbler form, could have so badly read the climate for crowdfunding and his own reputation. The lack of ANY prototype at all, the awful concept art, lack of team members outside of the headliners, the Pitchford endorsement... There's just no excuse for not having SOME playable prototype when pitching from Romero's position, especially since it's a years old design apparently, they intend to use UE4, and he's already an experienced programmer not doing much with his time. The closest comparison I can think of is the Underworld Ascendant KS, they didn't have a lot going into that but ideas but they had the decency of putting together a small (and knowingly ugly) prototype. Paul Neurath's relevancy has been about the same as Romero's for the last 15 years but then again he never tried to make anyone his bitch.

It's probably impossible at this point since the whole campaign has probably been planned out and paid for by now but it should get terminated ASAP and come back with some kind of playable thing to show, otherwise this thing's going to cap out at like 300k.

Kind of slow going

I think the Kickstarter well has been bled dry a bit from previous "hey remember me! I made that game from the 90's you liked. Give me money to make something similar"

If this was a years ago this would be funded already.

RowdyReverb

Man, I want to fund this, but I really need to see more. Even a pre-alpha early prototype to at least show they have some tools to build levels, which is Romero's forte. Show me that they're tossing him a pitch that he can hit

nope-not-in-my-house-o.gif

You know what would be a good kickstarter idea for this two guys? A book about level design written by John Romero and illustrated by Adrian Carmack. I'm sure it would make for a very informative reading and it would be a safer bet.

At what point in the campaign do they get desperate enough to add the $800,000 Brutal Blackroom stretchgoal? Give the people what they want, the only thing blacker than Blackroom...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Newell supported the Clang KS campaign by way of a small cameo in the pitch video and the project ultimately failed, with Neal Stephenson and co. not delivering anything side from t-shirts and other small backer rewards. I'll be surprised if he goes near another crowdfunding campaign again.

gabbo

Newell supported the Clang KS campaign by way of a small cameo in the pitch video and the project ultimately failed, with Neal Stephenson and co. not delivering anything side from t-shirts and other small backer rewards. I'll be surprised if he goes near another crowdfunding campaign again.

There was also the issue of what his cameo in that KS implied. Can't imagine it'd go over well if they did something like that again.

Saty

The quicker Crowdfunding matures away from funding projects that only have concept art to show, the better.

The quicker Crowdfunding matures away from funding projects that only have concept art to show, the better.
Most of the time I agree, but it isn't concrete. Developers involved, delivering on past Kickstarters, scope and scale, the infomation given, etc all matter

ie Harebrained's Battletech vs Romero's Blackroom

BiggNife

I missed this post before, but are John Carmack and Romero even on good terms at this point? I assumed Romero's split from ID left them on less than amicable terms.

And I can't imagine John is happy with the "Romero & Carmack" branding knowing full well people will assume he's the Carmack working on it.

Edit: The more I think about this, the more I'm willing to bet this campaign will fail, but they'll pull a Consortium and come back on FIG with a more fleshed out proposal. They could probably get some big investments from overly passionate DOOM fans.

Nzyme32

LMAO! Just look at Pitchford's eyes. He's reading from a script. He's looking at it every 3 seconds.
Randy Pitchford ...... oh man. Comedy gold.

Hate to break it to you, but this is the case for most of these pitches and video promos; it's just that on most occasions you can barely tell.

Ixion

I think the weapons look cool, since they seem to be fully holographic. I don't think I've seen that done before:

e199a36d-074f-4515-b868-e7bde629edea_zps4lwpnnwl.png

BLACKHOLE BOMB: Create a micro-singularity in a room, pulling everything into it within a radius for 10 seconds.

RECODE: Shoots a canister of AI up to 30 feet away. When it explodes, it will force any hit by it to turn on their nearest AI friend.

HOXSAW: Shoots a wide, blurry beam of hoxelight out to 10 feet in front of it and is deadly while it’s on. Similar to a chainsaw made of light. Time-based use.

HOXELIGHT: Create a micro-singularity in a room, pulling everything into it within a radius for 10 seconds. Shoots a hoxelbeam that stays in the air for 10 seconds before disappearing. Deadly to the touch the entire time.

GLOXEL: Your basic handgun that traces a hoxelray straight through your target. Light damage.

The first three day total is looking like it has managed to out due my expectations (negatively) of it hitting 22% funded. On the plus side I don't think I need to make a new graph showing it chances compared to a few close (under 110% total funded) Big Money Kickstarters in how they hit past the 100% mark.

Top Bottom