• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
You thinking Ridley Scott directed this or somethin?

How many academy award nominations and iconic films do you have make before you are a good director?

It's ironic because people I know in their thirties are looking forward to having fun at that movie but you sound like people I remember from my teens who wanted to seem mature.

I don’t blame him. I’m bored out of my mind when I think about going to see a superhero movie. They simply feel like another episode out of a long TV series now. However if I was in my teens and loving what I did then I’d be crazy excited for all of this.

kirblar

Are you defining creators as the artists who made the film or the producers who financed it? If the former, you can rest easy, the movie was a critical success and I doubt Villeneuve and Deakins are going to be hurting for work.
The latter. Good producers matter too.

I don’t blame him. I’m bored out of my mind when I think about going to see a superhero movie. They simply feel like another episode out of a long TV series now. However if I was in my teens and loving what I did then I’d be crazy excited for all of this.

um, sure, but save that sentiment for a "run of the mill" superhero flick.

Thor 3 is set to be something special, stop pretending you can't appreciate that just because you're in the same age range as me.

hertog

Such a good movie, one of the better sequels I've seen. I'm actually going to watch it again in Imax :)

Felt like a better remake of the midgar part of ffvii than Square Enix is going to give us.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
um, sure, but save that sentiment for a "run of the mill" superhero flick.

Thor 3 is set to be something special, stop pretending you can't appreciate that just because you're in the same age range as me.
What's special about Thor 3? (a genuine question, after watching a couple of trailers)

Dune is dead though.

Yeah, that's part of what sparked my earlier comment about films of this ilk. The final foreign take is not going to help. If you were hoping for more big budget highbrow sci fi, the damage is done.

The latter. Good producers matter too.

Help me understand here. Why? I'm glad they produced Blade Runner 2049 because I got to see it, but when I look at their filmography on Wikipedia, the only other movies I see as standouts are Prisoners in 2013 and Insomnia back in 2002.

RS4-

A shit movie is a shit movie, regardless of how much or how little it makes.

2049 is a great movie, that is unfortunately, not making as much money. Or 2049 is shit because it was given 150m and has made garbage money in theatre.

2049 is awesome. Thor 3 will be awesome.

What's special about Thor 3? (a genuine question, after watching a couple of trailers)

taika waititi or not, it's a marvel movie, I think we all know what to expect from it.

which means it's just the *best* kind of movie

I think the movie will carry on pretty great legs and have a stellar run at home video selling loads of regular and 4K Blu-Rays. A type of movie people wanna show off their home theatres with.

Also likely to garner a cult following like the first one.

This. Visually the movie is incredible. Half the shots are just begging to shown off in 4K. Word of mouth, home sales and probably a couple of Oscar nominations will carry it far. Probably not far enough for Alcon to make everything back, but it won't be the disaster everyone was predicting after opening day.

I feel like the resurgences of big budget "intelligent" sci-fi movie with films like Inception, Gravity, Arrival, Looper and even Ghost in the Shell, might die down a bit now. Which is a damn shame.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
taika waititi or not, it's a marvel movie, I think we all know what to expect from it.

which means it's just the *best* kind of movie
Meeting expectations is great. As longs as expectations are at least at 'palatable', that is.

Loved it. Saw it in IMAX and it's probably the most visually stunning film I've ever seen in the theater. Almost made it worth the $46 I spent on 2 tickets....almost.

I just got back from seeing it. Theater was about 60% full for an 11 am showing. I thought it was absolutely phenomenal, and probably my favorite film of the year so far. Those 2 hours and 40 minutes flew by. I really hope this film has legs because it absolutely deserves to be a success.

Loved it. Saw it in IMAX and it's probably the most visually stunning film I've ever seen in the theater. Almost made it worth the $46 I spent on 2 tickets....almost.

Man it's insane how much it costs to go the theater. I'm glad I already had a gift card to use on my imax ticket so I only paid $8 out of pocket.

He's just very, very worried about profit margins of movies.

I'm worried that not only will we not get smart big budget sci-fi movies in the future, that studios will be hesitant to fund these movies even on a lower budget because someone was dumb enough to think that Blade Runner was the IP to pump an absurd amount of money into.

Maybe Alcon could have made some great sci-fi movies for half the budget, but you know what, because of this disaster the studio may not even survive.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I'm worried that not only will we not get smart big budget sci-fi movies in the future, that studios will be hesitant to fund these movies even on a lower budget because someone was dumb enough to think that Blade Runner was the IP to pump an absurd amount of money into.

And as has been explained to you several times it isn't an unprecedented amount of money nor will it sink the studio.

I mean science fiction as a genre is not exactly on life support. There will be many more SF movies, big budget and small.

Kieli

Man it's insane how much it costs to go the theater. I'm glad I already had a gift card to use on my imax ticket so I only paid $8 out of pocket.

I guess there is two options: (1) take advantage of special pricing (e.g. Wednesday half-off) or (2) visit the smaller, independently run theaters.

The ticket prices for (2) were about 70% of what the franchises charge (e.g. $11 dollars vs $16 dollars).

berzeli

Banned
And as has been explained to you several times it isn't an unprecedented amount of money nor will it sink the studio.
'Blade Runner' Sequel a Make-Or-Break Moment for Producer Alcon
Producers Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove — who met at Princeton University before convincing FexEx founder Fred Smith to help them launch the film company Alcon Entertainment 20 years ago — are candid. They admit that Alcon's future depends on Blade Runner 2049, the sequel to Ridley Scott's sci-fi epic that hits theaters Oct. 6. "This is a chips-in-the-center-of-the-table exercise," says Kosove.

Also, you never came back to me about how it will make its money back.

To your first point: I'm saying it won't sink the studio because I don't think it will be a net financial loss. I understand that if this had been a Heaven's Gate-level bomb Alcon would be out of business.

To your second: What are you waiting for exactly?

How will it not be a net financial loss? Are they going to make $350-$400 million in box office revenues?

berzeli

Banned
To your first point: I'm saying it won't sink the studio because I don't think it will be a net financial loss. I understand that if this had been a Heaven's Gate-level bomb Alcon would be out of business.

To your second: What are you waiting for exactly?
I'm not privy enough on Alcon's finances to make a judgement on their ability to survive this, but it is going to be a loss for them.

1) How much money are you expecting it to make at the box office exactly?
2) How much of that do you think is going to Alcon?

How will it not be a net financial loss? Are they going to make $350-$400 million in box office revenues?

I think Alcon is in the hole for about 100 mil, and I think they'll get close to that in the end. Certainly not the breakout hit they wanted, though.

That 100 mil figure was stated earlier in (one of the) Blade Runner thread(s). My apologies if that is an inaccurate number though.

RoyalFool

Banned

Maybe the director will change is mind and release 8 different cuts on blu-ray over the next 35 years to help re-coup the costs..

I feel like they are missing a trick with the blu-rays for this film, the most expensive edition I could get was a whiskey glass one for £40 which seems terribly reasonable. I've spent a bloody fortune over the years on the original films various special editions just to get the little spinner car and the briefcase; feels like the fanbase for this sequel would happily throw more money at them if they could.

Has it released in China yet? I remember everybody joking that Pacific Rim was deader in the water than cherno alpha, then China went nuts for it and it sold far more blu-rays than expected and now they are planning a cinematic fucking universe for it.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I'm not privy enough on Alcon's finances to make a judgement on their ability to survive this, but it is going to be a loss for them.

1) How much money are you expecting it to make at the box office exactly?
2) How much of that do you think is going to Alcon?

I bet it will do, I dunno, $140-160. I have no idea how much of that goes to Alcon but if it's the traditional 55/45 split then I guess about 80 million. According to what was posted upthread they've put about 160 million into this movie (right? 60M of the production budget and 100M P&A?)

I can't find numbers for the original Blade Runner's home releases but I think it's fair to guess that at least half of its total revenue was from home video.

I've heard "The public has no taste in movies/games because [insert title] failed. Projects this good will never get funding again because of it" for a looooong ass time. Long time.

Everyone relax. Cult sci-fi movies that make no money will come and go. It sucks 2049 didn't make bank, but what neo noir movie really could.

I've heard "The public has no taste in movies/games because [insert title] failed. Projects this good will never get funding again because of it" for a looooong ass time. Long time.

Everyone relax. Cult sci-fi movies that make no money will come and go. It sucks 2049 didn't make bank, but what neo noir movie really could.
Off the top of my head since 2000? Sin City and Looper.

berzeli

Banned
I bet it will do, I dunno, $140-160. I have no idea how much of that goes to Alcon but if it's the traditional 55/45 split then I guess about 80 million. According to what was posted upthread they've put about 160 million into this movie (right? 60M of the production budget and 100M A&P?)

I can't find numbers for the original Blade Runner's home releases but I think it's fair to guess that at least half of its total revenue was from home video.
It's performing worse than Mad Max Fury road which brought in $154 million.
There's also Warner's distribution fee of ~10%

They put in $100 million for P&A, and $90 million for the movie (before tax credits, which is the same as Sony I missed adding the tax credits part for them though).

The home entertainment market isn't what it used to be, and as I said in my post Sony gets the first cut of supplementary revenue like that.

Timbuktu

Just not this tent pole level of funding, but I don't think you really need that to make a good sci fi movie.

Neo-noir? Or sci-fi neo-noir?

Because No Country, Hell or High Water, Collateral, and possibly Wind River all fall under neo-noir

The term Future Noir was coined for Blade Runner, I believe.

And if we are going to talk about successful films in that genre, can't forget the other PKD adaptation Minority Report.

mlclmtckr

Banned
It's performing worse than Mad Max Fury road which brought in $154 million.
There's also Warner's distribution fee of ~10%

They put in $100 million for P&A, and $90 million for the movie (before tax credits, which is the same as Sony I missed adding the tax credits part for them though).

The home entertainment market isn't what it used to be, and as I said in my post Sony gets the first cut of supplementary revenue like that.

Oh, shit, I thought they put in 60M of the budget and Sony put in the 90. Hmm.

I guess all we can do is wait and see. But if it eventually does make the $154M that Fury Road did, isn't it in decent shape? Since the movies had similar budgets and Fury Road did more than alright.

berzeli

Banned
Oh, shit, I thought they put in 60M of the budget and Sony put in the 90. Hmm.

I guess all we can do is wait and see. But if it eventually does make the $154M that Fury Road did, isn't it in decent shape? Since the movies had similar budgets and Fury Road did more than alright.
Yeah, I should have put in the "before rebates & credits".

Fury Road had a bigger opening weekend and Blade Runner is heading for a steeper dip in its 2nd weekend, estimated at 55%+ vs Fury Road's 45%.
It's not looking good.

“Everything I don’t like is awful”

Yeah that's kind of the definition.

This culture of poptimism where we have to pretend we respect something because it's popular is shit.

It's ironic because people I know in their thirties are looking forward to having fun at that movie but you sound like people I remember from my teens who wanted to seem mature.

Most people have shit taste.

Zakalwe

Banned
Yes? All of those movies had big budgets and needed to become blockbuster hits to recoup their investment.

Getting back to Blade Runner, it's absolutely not meant to be prestige award-bait. Alcon, the independent studio behind it, foolishly bet the farm on it, for some reason. Not only did the movie cost 150M+, they also spent 100M+ in prints and advertising. It was not meant to be an art piece, it was meant to be a huge hit that would allow them to create further sequels out of the BR IP. They've suggested as much.

Silver lining being them not getting to franchise the fuck out of this.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Seriously. Can people stop bitching that a studio put a blockbuster budget toward an R-rated, intelligent sci-fi film?

Me: Hollywood sucks, they don't take any risks.

Also me: Haha, your movie failed and that's good because how dare you take risks.
Yeah I'm in my thirties I'm not impressed by action sequences and zingers.

When I turn 30, I want someone to shoot me straight into the sun because apparently I'll be the worst.
Echoes of edgy teenager.
No no, he's 30 and doesn't like a Marvel movie so he is VERY mature.

Got something against New Zealand?
Because that's the logical conclusion to draw?

I guess his movies just aren't for me. They're not bad by any stretch. I just don't get the acclaim either. I experience the same thing with Jim Jamusch - acclaimed director whose work I feel ambivalent toward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom