• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Blade Runner 2049' Is A Box Office Disaster With Poor $13M Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakalwe

Banned
It's too bad. I was excited to see the movie, but decided against it after reading about it.

Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of supporting by buying tickets a movie that is obviously male gaze AND chock full of Orientalism.

I'll watch it when it becomes available on Netflix.

It's not either of those things, though. Well, after reading that article perhaps the Orientalism, but I think the male gaze stuff is off the mark considering how it's actually handled.

I'd forget other people's opinions and go see it for yourself, but that's just my opinion. ;)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It's too bad. I was excited to see the movie, but decided against it after reading about it.

Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of supporting by buying tickets a movie that is obviously male gaze AND chock full of Orientalism.

Man, you read those shitty Vice "articles"? They were the definition of missing the point.

SexyFish

Banned

Yikes.

This is the worst hot take.

mlclmtckr

Banned

It certainly wrestles with the concept of the male gaze but it isn't, like, a Transformers movie.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

Criticizes societies were such things happen, it doesn't praise them.

Zakalwe

Banned
It certainly wrestles with the concept of the male gaze but it isn't, like, a Transformers movie.
Of course there are conversations to have about Hollywood in general, and even films like 2049 could stand to take note, but the film justifies the decisions it makes well enough, imo.

Nev

Banned

What the hell is there in the movie that can be remotely associated with Orientalism for it to be considered "chock full" of it?

I'm genuinely curious. Is it the Wallace corp theme/aesthetic or what?

JCHandsom

"It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it."

Your not wrong. I don't think 2049 is severely offensive but it's another one of those movies that places minorities in the background.

Opto

Banned
While I think there's a discussion to be had about the male gaze parts of the film, it's kinda messed up the original 80's flick had more asian people than the current one. I can't think of a single even mildly significant character that looked like they were from the population that made japanese a primary language

kirblar

The first part is very unfair given what they're doing with the movie. The latter isn't.

diaspora

I think this is a masterful film and one of the best I've ever witnessed. It's also... oddly racially homogeneous considering the context of the first film. I'm not knocking it for a lack of diversity for the sake of diversity but rather a lack of variety.

Nev

Banned
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/...-asians-blade-runner?utm_campaign=sharebutton

This article does a better job describing it than me. It is something that I've slowly noticed. A lot of cyberpunk stuff is surprisingly not that diverse.

Ah, ok. I thought it was about Arab Orientalism.

I see their point. Then again it's sad that this gets a pass but Ghost in the Shell got an outrage/boycott its way because of ScarJo as the major despite having a predominant japanese culture/language acknowledgement/representation as part of the main plot and even has Takeshi Kitano outright talking in japanese for the entire movie.

It's basically the most respectful cyberpunk/anime Hollywood adaptation that has been made. But hey, Scarlett Johansson can't play a white-looking robot who looked like a white-looking robot in the source material so let's automatically throw everything they did to respect the original work and the culture it came from out the window.

How the hell is Villeneuve a bad director?

Prisoners, Sicario, Arrival, really?!

Arrival is supposed to be a great movie or something? Was eh at best for me with one of the most stupid twists ever.
She decided her daughter had to die of horrible pain caused by cancer, what a hero.

diaspora

I see their point. Then again it's sad that this gets a pass but Ghost in the Shell got an outrage/boycott its way because of ScarJo as the major despite having a predominant japanese culture/language acknowledgement/representation as part of the main plot and even has Takeshi Kitano outright talking in japanese for the entire movie.

It's basically the most respectful cyberpunk/anime Hollywood adaptation that has been made. But hey, Scarlett Johansson can't play a white-looking robot who looked like a white-looking robot in the source material so let's automatically throw everything they did to respect the original work and the culture it came from out the window.
GITS was far worse. Taking an Japanese character in Japan and converting it to a white character in Japan with the actual Japanese just being background was asinine.

jtb

Banned
The lack of diversity is disappointing and puzzling... a missed opportunity more than anything, imo. The people left on Earth are the under classes, no? And the whole franchise is about.... a class of "people" resigned to be slaves.... [thinking emoji]. Certainly some interesting thematic material to be mined there, if they had chosen to.

UrbanRats

GitS was a piece of shit.
I'm sure if it was as good as this movie is, a lot of people would've been softer on it.

Also, most of the backlash came from the source material being a Japanese manga/anime set in Hong Kong&Japan mostly, so it came with stronger expectations.

GITS was far worse. Taking an Japanese character in Japan and converting it to a white character in Japan with the actual Japanese just being background was asinine.

People were upset before that was revealed.

Nev

Banned

They didn't convert it to a white character, Motoko/Mira is Japanese in the live action adaptation. Scarlet Johansson plays a robot, a shell.

That you and many others decided to ignore everything else the movie does to respect the source material and the Japanese culture just because they decided to cast a big western name (who happens to look a lot like the character from the source material) for a niche adaptation is a different matter.

That you see that as "worse" than a movie set in a cyberpunk Los Angeles in 2050 having 2-3 non-white characters and not a single one being a main character is also another matter I don't agree with at all.

Off the top of my head I can only remember the black guy
who analyzes the horse carving
the black guy who runs the child warehouse thing
and the black chick hooker who has literally a line of non-consequential dialogue before fading away forever.

They're all side characters at the absolute best, more glorified background characters than anything.

I can't even recall a single asian character.

Rydeen

I know it's anecdotal, but I saw the film again last night at 7:30 PM in a normal, non-IMAX/no 3D screening, and the top half of the theater was completely full, only reason I assume the bottom half of the theater wasn't was because people didn't want to be too close to the screen.

Audience was definitely into it, just a mild cough every once in a while, not a lot of chatting or noise or anything. After the first week crowd, I have hope that through word of mouth, the film is finding it's audience. It may not be a huge box office success, but I think it will be mildly successful in it's theatrical run, and will be an "evergreen" title on streaming and blu-ray / 4K UHD for decades to come like the original film is.

diaspora

They didn't convert it to a white character, Motoko/Mira is Japanese in the live action adaptation. Scarlet Johansson plays a robot, a shell.

That you and many others decided to ignore everything else the movie does to respect the source material and the Japanese culture just because they decided to cast a big western name (who happens to look a lot like the character from the source material) for a niche adaptation is a different matter.

That you see that as "worse" than a movie set in a cyberpunk Los Angeles in 2050 having 2-3 non-white characters and not a single one being a main character is also another matter I don't agree with at all.

I know, and I'm saying it makes it fucking worse, let alone compared to Blade Runner 2049 which ended up being with a white cast with a mostly white setting.

kirblar

The lack of diversity is disappointing and puzzling... a missed opportunity more than anything, imo. The people left on Earth are the under classes, no? And the whole franchise is about.... a class of "people" resigned to be slaves.... [thinking emoji]. Certainly some interesting thematic material to be mined there, if they had chosen to.
I would say it's very much not an accident that in robot-themed slavery analogues the robots tend to be white.

Real Hero

This is dumb, how do you know you agree with something you have read if you haven't seen the thing they are talking about?

tauroxd

Give it a chance. It is an incredible, beautiful and amazing audiovisual experience and watching it on the big screen and listeing with those speakers will make you feel so much joy.

Dice//

Banned

The male gaze is ...sorta clever though and kind of the point.
It's sort of uses it ironically, crudely, and in both good and bad views to illustrate just how versatile we use women --- for better OR worse. Society sexualizes, uses, and abuses the real or even imagined woman in advertisements or in their biology or in their grace or attractiveness, sometimes it IS over the top, but doing so only exemplifies the point harder that women's image is often overused and over-commodified.

It's not gonna win the "Alison Bechdel's Film Feminist Award to Good Representation", but I admire the film's versatile use of women and it's understanding of their various roles and nuances (some as strong leaders, some as mothers, some as lovers, some as commodities).

Blade Runner's world is an exaggeration of this world, this so too does it saturate the way women are seen.

They were there just sadly relegated to the shorts or other small roles. Joi is sorta Cuban (well her actress is if that counts for a 'minority point'), and K is the lead (i.e.; presumed white -- read into that what you will)), and nothing really changes Harrison Ford's role in this. It was a pretty small cast though. Shame they couldn't cast a minority for Luv, Mariette, or Wallace's role because it would have been a great opportunity to do so....

I DO think the movie was well cast despite that, but yeah it is a shame, especially with a film that has a sort of 'emancipation' theme running through it . :/

Rixxan

Outrage culture was a mistake

jett

D-Member

What?

lol

So you don’t know anything about the movie.

Outrage culture was a mistake

I try to be as inclusive and progressive as possible but it definitely gets tiring when people seem to analyze every new thing with the intent of getting outraged. If it's obvious and blatant then it deserves mention, but something like Blade Runner? C'mon. Not every movie has to look like The Force Awakens, and just because they don't doesn't mean that there is malicious intent.

When people complained about Horizon, the most diverse video game I've ever played, I realized that there was no pleasing some people. And that this is just a side effect of becoming more inclusive and progressive as a society (which is worth it, obviously)

Ctlead

Banned

I think you should see it and form your own opinion, but it's your money.

Bad trailer and bad director (imo).

giphy.gif

Dice//

Banned
When people complained about Horizon, the most diverse video game I've ever played, I realized that there was no pleasing some people. And that this is just a side effect of becoming more inclusive and progressive as a society (which is worth it, obviously)

Is this regarding Alloy's hairdo choice?

I try to be as inclusive and progressive as possible but it definitely gets tiring when people seem to analyze every new thing with the intent of getting outraged. If it's obvious and blatant then it deserves mention, but something like Blade Runner? C'mon. Not every movie has to look like The Force Awakens, and just because they don't doesn't mean that there is malicious intent.

Outrage culture doesn’t help make anyone become more inclusive or progressive. It’s a poison that is hurting the progressive movement and pushed on by totally ignorant people or flat out liars. It’s a war on context, critical thought, and discussion.

HariKari

Found the market for those VICE articles aka people that want to be told what to believe instead of coming to their own conclusions.

Arrival is supposed to be a great movie or something? Was eh at best for me with one of the most stupid twists ever.
She decided her daughter had to die of horrible pain caused by cancer, what a hero.

She decided that even if it meant having to bear the pain of losing her, it would still be worth being able to have those years together with her daughter.
Good job pulling THAT out of the movie somehow or whatever.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Found the market for those VICE articles aka people that want to be told what to believe instead of coming to their own conclusions.

If I recall, the original's settings strong Japanese influence was having in the US at the time due to being on the forefront of consumer technology. The setting for the entire film is basically what they thought the future was going to be like due to the Cold War, current trends, and influence.

The biggest problem wtih arrival was
their nonsensical alternative history twist that allowed her to prevent the war - learning the language per the films logic allowed time to compress but she would never have existed in a reality down that timeline where she meets the chinese commander and gotten his numbers.

Such a lot of horseshit arrival was. Every single reviewer seems to ignore how the film breaks its own logic.

7Th

Some of this discussion smells of unironic "mansplaining", specially about a movie written by men, directed by men and produced by men. Like those anime fans that say that the "fanservice in Evangelion doesn't count because it's meant to be satire"; kinda sad.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Some of this discussion smells of unironic "mansplaining", specially about a movie written by men, directed by men and produced by men. Like those anime fans that say that the "fanservice in Evangelion doesn't count because it's meant to be satire"; kinda sad.

I said in a different thread but this is like saying The Handmaid's Tale is misogynist. The movie is absolutely interested in gender and perceptions of women, but I can't come up with any reading where the film itself is actually misogynist.

Arulan

One visual difference I noticed between this and the original is the lack of fans. They were very prominent in the original.

35e2a493d3c47a3374dd227f8c869152.jpg

I feel as if it's a self fufilling prophecy, all people watch is blockbusters, then complain that Blockbusters are the only thing that makes money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom