• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blaster Master: Overdrive (WiiWare - Feb 8th/1000pts)

vireland

AlbertWeskerUmbrella said:
By the way, just wanted to show my support Vic! I have been a Working Designs fan since the PSone era and I miss you guys. While Atlus has taken your spot as "that" RPG publisher, you guys were the originators!

BTW, I wish we could have gotten a chance to play that Goemon PS2 game. I am a huge Goemon fan and when I saw that WD was about to bring it to NA I flipped out! It's a shame that whole scene was a mess because I was really looking forward to it.

Thanks! The beauty of this Sunsoft/Gaijinworks hookup is I am in a position to play an instrumental part in bringing about 10x more games here than I ever could at Working Designs. Sucked that things went down they way they did with WD, but it really is true that what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. But the key is, for that to work, you can never give up.

And speaking of never giving up, Goemon PS2 may see the light of day in English anyway. Don't give up on it yet. I haven't. :)

vireland said:
Thanks! The beauty of this Sunsoft/Gaijinworks hookup is I am in a position to play an instrumental part in bringing about 10x more games here than I ever could at Working Designs. Sucked that things went down they way they did with WD, but it really is true that what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. But the key is, for that to work, you can never give up.

And speaking of never giving up, Goemon PS2 may see the light of day in English anyway. Don't give up on it yet. I haven't. :)

If you do manage to get it released, I'd love to see the JPN only SNES Goemon games hit the VC as well! :D

I got a chance to play the game and I like it so far. Just like its been said in the thread before that my only real issue so far is that the lack of control options and a way to alter them. It took a second to get used to the controls but once I did I started to have more fun. I did also read about Alex and why in the hell no Jason but the story was going for basic sci-fi fare and it does its job. That in turn makes it a little harder to care about Alex and his plight when I expected to Jason again and possibly put a face to Eve's name but a small price to pay for something that the franchise deserves anyway. I just hope it's not the end of Blaster Master and I hope Overdrive paves the way for more gamers to learn about a 8-Bit Masterpiece.

vireland said:

Vic, when you post stuff like this I get so excited to see what is coming next from Gaijinworks. I've got a hunch that whatever you pull out next will be just as exciting as Blaster Master: Overdrive. Thanks. And I did read the Operations Guide and yes it was campy. Very.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Very excited to hear what's coming next from Gaijinworks... Maybe some Wiiware retro RPG lovin'?

GeekyDad

I'm really disappointed by this game. It begs to not be played. The enemy A.I. (if you want to call it that) is really bad. The patrol patterns are all over the place, and the hit detection is whack, too. Fought the first boss, four times already, and every time I beat him, I end up dying when trying to find a place to save. And the boss, itself, was long and drawn out -- not in a fun way. They juiced that thing up with way too many hit points, obviously to pad the length of the game, and I'm guessing it's going to be the same for all the bosses. The levels look the same, as do the caves that Alex enters. You don't get anything -- not even points -- for killing enemies, though occasionally you'll get item drops. (And what's up with starting your health so low?)

By far my worst complaint, though, is strafing. Who thought it was a good idea to map that to the B button? They mapped the area bomb to the 2 button, as if you'll be using those things constantly. But those bombs are rare. Strafing should have been mapped to the 2 button. You're gonna be constantly needing to strafe when in those caves and fighting bosses. Just really, really frustrating...

The game feel slapped together to me.

Eric C

I finally got a chance to really play this today and I really really enjoyed it so far. It feels like Blaster Master to me, but slightly more "Metroidy".

My only negative complaint would be about the controls, lack of CC support.

Thanks Sunsoft and Vic.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
GeekyDad said:
I'm really disappointed by this game. It begs to not be played. The enemy A.I. (if you want to call it that) is really bad. The patrol patterns are all over the place, and the hit detection is whack, too.
Really? The enemy patterns seems pretty much in tune with the original (they rush you), and I've had no problems with hit detection.

GeekyDad said:
Fought the first boss, four times already, and every time I beat him, I end up dying when trying to find a place to save.
You know there's a map screen, right? It's mapped to the - button. The green boxes show where "save dungeons" are. It's usually not too tough to get to one after a boss fight. Have you played any of the recent Castlevania games? They work the same way.

GeekyDad said:
And the boss, itself, was long and drawn out -- not in a fun way. They juiced that thing up with way too many hit points, obviously to pad the length of the game, and I'm guessing it's going to be the same for all the bosses.
I was able to beat the first boss in about 2-3 minutes. I wouldn't call that "drawn out." Did you power up your weapon(s) in other dungeons before fighting the boss?

GeekyDad said:
The levels look the same, as do the caves that Alex enters.
I think the different levels have their own distinct looks to them (while staying within the realm of "underground cavern"). Have you actually gotten to any of the new areas yet (Level 2, 3, etc.)? Seeing as how you keep dying after beating the first boss, it doesn't seem like you have.

If the background similarity is getting you lost, remember there's always that map screen.

GeekyDad said:
You don't get anything -- not even points -- for killing enemies, though occasionally you'll get item drops.
Are you really ragging on the game for not having a point system? This isn't Galaga, you know. I've also gotten plenty of item drops from enemies.

GeekyDad said:
(And what's up with starting your health so low?)
Have you ever played Metroid? Or any of the recent Castlevania games? That's how these games work. Start you off weak and make you build your character up as you play. If you started off with full power, there would be no sense of progression.

GeekyDad said:
By far my worst complaint, though, is strafing. Who thought it was a good idea to map that to the B button? They mapped the area bomb to the 2 button, as if you'll be using those things constantly. But those bombs are rare. Strafing should have been mapped to the 2 button. You're gonna be constantly needing to strafe when in those caves and fighting bosses. Just really, really frustrating...
I'll give you this. The bomb should have been assigned to the B button. I don't get Vic's "it's too easy to accidentally hit the B button" point. I've played a ton of games with the Wii Remote held sideways, and I've never come close to touching the B button. My fingers are simply nowhere near that button in that configuration.

GeekyDad said:
The game feel slapped together to me.
Save the drama for your mama and PUSH!

For those having troubles to reach the "B"-button, use the Wii-Wheel!

Haven't played the game or the original (Helllllooo, EUR-VC!??), but I am looking forward to.

I love the original, but always get lost in the second level. I usually quit there, having to turn the NES off at some point :lol

Will I like this game if I liked the original? Is it a remake? Are those 2D sprites I'm seeing in the fuzzy trailer? Will I get lost in the second level again?

It's only eight bucks, so I guess I can't go wrong, but still. I'm seeing a number of complaints in this thread...

bmf said:
Come on really? Saying you won't buy it because it doesn't have wide screen support is really just whiny. This, like many other 4:3 games plays perfectly fine stretched out to 16:9.
Bog said:
Stretch it and quit your bitching.
Sorry but I'm not going to support such a glaring oversight as this. By now ALL new console games (ie not ports/emus of old pre-existing games) should support 16:9 in some form or another (regardless if they are DD or retail). If you want to keep that "retro" feel fair enough but at least put graphics around the borders to keep the 4:3 aspect ratio instead of having the game stretch. Btw I'm actually surprised people are recommending people resort to stretching their games. :lol

I hope BMO gets an update that addresses this issue but till that day comes...

To Vic: I hope my comments aren't taken the wrong way and I truly hope Sunsoft/you are listening so that your future efforts don't overlook this simple option to support widescreen TVs properly. I'm a fan of Sunsoft and am looking forward to your future developments.

Thaedolus

Played some more today...maybe it's just me, but it seems like some enemies are just impossible to kill without taking significant damage (I'm lookin at you, Area 4)

I can't help but think I'm missing something here...those green satellite looking things in particular never cease to own my power bar.

Mr_Furious said:
Sorry but I'm not going to support such a glaring oversight as this. By now ALL new console games (ie not ports/emus of old pre-existing games) should support 16:9 in some form or another (regardless if they are DD or retail). If you want to keep that "retro" feel fair enough but at least put graphics around the borders to keep the 4:3 aspect ratio instead of having the game stretch. Btw I'm actually surprised people are recommending people resort to stretching their games. :lol

I hope BMO gets an update that addresses this issue but till that day comes...

To Vic: I hope my comments aren't taken the wrong way and I truly hope Sunsoft/you are listening so that your future efforts don't overlook this simple option to support widescreen TVs properly. I'm a fan of Sunsoft and am looking forward to your future developments.
And burn those images into my TV permanently? I have enough problems with HUDs and station identification logos.

vireland

Thaedolus said:
Played some more today...maybe it's just me, but it seems like some enemies are just impossible to kill without taking significant damage (I'm lookin at you, Area 4)

I can't help but think I'm missing something here...those green satellite looking things in particular never cease to own my power bar.

I drill the green things, mostly. One drill zap and they're gone. Do it fast enough and you can usually get it done with one hit - sometimes none.

mclem

bryehn said:
If only we could get Sunsoft Batman too :lol
I don't recall much in Sunsoft Batman that was actually all that Batman-y; I'm sure it's quite possible to make a licence-free game that is very clearly *inspired* by it.

mclem

bmf said:
Come on really? Saying you won't buy it because it doesn't have wide screen support is really just whiny. This, like many other 4:3 games plays perfectly fine stretched out to 16:9.

Bog said:
Stretch it and quit your bitching.

Ewwww, no. Original aspect ratio all the way, dammit! Black bars are fine.

Thaedolus

vireland said:
I drill the green things, mostly. One drill zap and they're gone. Do it fast enough and you can usually get it done with one hit - sometimes none.

Yeah, that's what I've ended up doing. I just don't have the skillz to do it without getting tagged for some damage...yet!

vireland

Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
Vic, if you're taking requests... I know it's not SunSoft, but I'd love to see some Kid Niki action.

Duly noted, but right now we're working on sorting and digesting the 200+ combined IP of Sunsoft and Telenet. There's a lot going on behind the scenes. :)

Dragmire

vireland said:
Whoa, I didn't even know there was a PS2 Goemon game. Looks pretty good. Goemon has more realistic proportions. I'll definitely check it out if it comes here.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Agnates said:
Not sure why you need a list to believe it but here's one that was updated: Gradius Rebirth.

Jeez, try and relax? Where did Vireland say he didn't believe that was the case? He just said he didn't know and asked someone to point an example or two.
What the hell, for once we have a developer acting nice and answering what he can, yet some people still feel the need to be rude without reason.

And I'll be the first to bitch that the game needed widescreen, progressive and classic controller.
Unfortunately that seems to be a misconception japanese developers/publishers have (see Gradius Rebirth, Contra Rebirth, Bubble Bobble Plus (probably Castlevania Rebirh too, which I haven't played yet): all lacking both w/s and p/s.

Kuramu

:Motorbass said:
For those having troubles to reach the "B"-button, use the Wii-Wheel!

This is a great idea. thanks.
I have to say, having fun, but the caves all look the same, what a let down. I find myself wanting to go back the the graphically superior NES version :p

OnPoint

Vic:

Please let the powers that be know how much better this game would play with classic controller support, specifically with strafing mapped to the L and R buttons.

Also, in a minor but surprisingly irritating way, can you let them know that 2 should confirm things in the menus, not 1?

I just finished the boss for level 3, and so far I like it OK. The graphics are kind of bland and the movement speed feels kinda slow for some reason, but so far it's fun, and that's what counts.

vireland

OnPoint said:
Please let the powers that be know how much better this game would play with classic controller support, specifically with strafing mapped to the L and R buttons.

That was mentioned during development. At one point it was Wii+Nunchuck. When it went to Wiimote, I mentioned classic controller support being needed. Didn't happen then, but I'm relaying comments like these and trying to see if the larger chorus asking for it will result in a patched version that adds that.

OnPoint said:
Also, in a minor but surprisingly irritating way, can you let them know that 2 should confirm things in the menus, not 1?

I've bundled that into a request for CC support and a few controller schemes.

FWIW, I finished the game multiple times using the existing scheme, so it's not the end of the world, just not as ideal as it could be. I'm all about the ideal though, and the people talking about it (politely!) are helping make my case.

There's absolutely NO guarantee that this will happen, but I am working to see what can be done. Worst-case scenario is it will help my position on the next WiiWare game and get these things in. Best case, we get CC support.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Area Five boss being easier makes up for Area five being absolutely brutal in the dungeons. I got killed more trying to get all the powerups out of there then I did on the boss! :lol

Area Six steps it up again. If this keeps up I hate to think what the final boss is going to be like.

Man God said:
Area Five boss being easier makes up for Area five being absolutely brutal in the dungeons. I got killed more trying to get all the powerups out of there then I did on the boss! :lol

Area Six steps it up again. If this keeps up I hate to think what the final boss is going to be like.
Area 5 was absolutely brutal, and I think the boss was as well. My brother spent about 2.5 hours fighting his way to that boss repeatedly and getting smoked by him. He gave up for a night and found that just being away from it for a few hours let him beat him in 3 tries. He really wanted a checkpoint before that boss though.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I was about to buy this until I saw it only supported the wiimote held sideways. I am still confused as to why any developer wouldn't support all possible control schemes that don't require motion controls or enough buttons? A good example would be Ogre Battle not supporting the Gamecube controller. I mean other SNES RPG's did so why not this game? It's just frustrating. Developers don't realize that they lose sales because they forget to support all possible control schemes. Leaving money on the table seems to be a common practice by publishers this generation.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
bmf said:
Area 5 was absolutely brutal, and I think the boss was as well. My brother spent about 2.5 hours fighting his way to that boss repeatedly and getting smoked by him. He gave up for a night and found that just being away from it for a few hours let him beat him in 3 tries. He really wanted a checkpoint before that boss though.

Grenade launcher+taking it slow. I beat him on my second try. Very infrequent health pick ups and very frequent weapon pick ups make that boss tolerable.

OnPoint

vireland said:
That was mentioned during development. At one point it was Wii+Nunchuck. When it went to Wiimote, I mentioned classic controller support being needed. Didn't happen then, but I'm relaying comments like these and trying to see if the larger chorus asking for it will result in a patched version that adds that.

I've bundled that into a request for CC support and a few controller schemes.

FWIW, I finished the game multiple times using the existing scheme, so it's not the end of the world, just not as ideal as it could be. I'm all about the ideal though, and the people talking about it (politely!) are helping make my case.

There's absolutely NO guarantee that this will happen, but I am working to see what can be done. Worst-case scenario is it will help my position on the next WiiWare game and get these things in. Best case, we get CC support.

Believe me, I know it's far from a guarantee. But it's just nice to have someone I can express it to who might be able to do something about it.

I intend to finish the game, controller patches or no, don't worry.

Inkwell

Banned
I just finished beat the area 5 boss. I think I've finally clocked into the controls and feel comfortable enough with them, although it does cramp my left hand a after a while.

I've done a decent enough job of getting through the dungeons without taking any damage and losing gun upgrades. Besides the bosses that is. I did get my ass handed to me in the side dungeon I did right before the area 5 boss dungeon. I lost 5 or so upgrades between the 3 guns.

I also have to say that the drill demolishes everything. Unless I'm fighting some of those small flying enemies (or underwater), I'm usually using the drill.

I nearly forgot. I have one small complaint. I got out of a dungeon with a sliver of life left. There were some flying enemies right there, so I was trying to lure them out from the ground so I could kill them and make my way back to the vehicle. All of a sudden I just die. Luckily the dungeon had a save point in it. I load my game again, attempt the same thing and randomly die again. So I'm wondering what the hell is going on. It happens a third time, but I finally realize what's going on. I was jumping in an attempt to get those flying insect enemies a bit higher up so I could shoot them. I was taking damage from jumping straight up and down. I understand fall damage, but this is a little bit ridiculous.

Inkwell said:
I nearly forgot. I have one small complaint. I got out of a dungeon with a sliver of life left. There were some flying enemies right there, so I was trying to lure them out from the ground so I could kill them and make my way back to the vehicle. All of a sudden I just die. Luckily the dungeon had a save point in it. I load my game again, attempt the same thing and randomly die again. So I'm wondering what the hell is going on. It happens a third time, but I finally realize what's going on. I was jumping in an attempt to get those flying insect enemies a bit higher up so I could shoot them. I was taking damage from jumping straight up and down. I understand fall damage, but this is a little bit ridiculous.

It is weirder than that, I think. Notice how your life bar is blinking when you are outside of SOPHIA in the side-scrolling segments. You are losing HP gradually outside...or you have it right, I haven't checked really.

In a way, I'd say this game has a list of complaints that can be made for it, but the game, all said and done, is fun and all-and-all improves the gameplay from the original. Considering this is Sunsoft's first outing on Wiiware and first game in their attempt at becoming renewed in the audience, I'd say it is a very acceptable title.

Hopefully they learn from their mistakes for the next titles, at some point (alternate control schemes, 16:9 support for those with widescreens, etc). But either way, this title and the VC release of Blaster Master has certainly rekindled my interest in their titles.

Now to see how to penetrate Area 4 without being kicked in the face by the satellite thingies.

ReyVGM

Why is it that Japanese companies tend to make the most boneheaded decisions when it comes to options and controls?

Who in their right mind decides to have Wiimote only as the control scheme? Why not offer CC too right from the get go? Why not offer the option of changing the button layout at the very least?

That's like when capcom released Megaman Collection for the Gamecube with the controllers reversed. Who in their right mind thought of doing that?

I'm not a graphics whore, but why did they not include progressive scan? Why not widescreen?
I wouldn't mind it that much if such issues were prone to happen on games with low budgets and time such as downloadable games, but that kind of stuff happens all the time on big budget games too.

Victrix

*beard*
Up to area 5, think I can safely post some impressions

Not very impressed :( Hate to say it, but this feels like a really, really budget remake. Which it probably is.

I've seen much worse butcherings, and it isn't a _bad_ game, it's just not a great game, and I'm not even sure if it's good.

The remixed music feels more like someone resequenced the original tracks with random instruments, the graphics are unimpressive throughout (enemies, backgrounds, you on foot, though Sophia looks ok). The sound effects are very plain, and are downright repetitive in the case of the weapon firing sounds and some of Sophias abilities (try spamming Drill for a real ear piercing delight).

The controls are *extremely* awkward. Holding B to strafe is just painful. Not having classic or gamecube controller support is inexcusable. Beyond that though, the Sophia has sort of clunky, somewhat unresponsive controls. Trying to do multiple grapples + hovers is an exercise in frustration.

I wound up stuck at the last part of area 4 before the boss for over a half hour because I didn't realize I could grapple/hover over a certain area, and wound up searching all over the map for something else I missed.

Oh, and not saving after a boss kill is obnoxious.

Otherwise, there simply isn't enough meat to hold my attention. Because the core gameplay is alternately clunky or physically uncomfortable, that just leaves the exploration and discovery, which is very muted - you can find health, energy, or weapon powerups. In some ruins, you can find a powerup, and nothing else, so if you happen to get hit, or you're already maxed out, you earn nothing at all.

I'll probably finish it up - it's not very long, I can't see it being more than 8 hours or so on the outside.

Were it not for my love of Blaster Master, I'd probably have ditched this already, which is a bummer :(

Yaweee

I'm at what I presume is at least the first form of the last boss (boss in region 8, entire map explored), missing only one tank HP, two tank EN, and a handful of human HP expansions at 6 hours played (plus several more mindlessly repeating areas to get back to the bosses after I died).

Like others have said, the game has very budget feel to it all, with virtually no graphical variety between regions except for palette swapped backgrounds, recolored cave walls, and slight changes to the tile-set. The tank stuff is really fun, but it feels like a minority compared to the crappy overhead sections, which have some playability improves compared to the original but far worse level design. Boss fights are pretty damn cool, though.

It's a decent game hampered by a bunch of dumb/frustrating/lazy design decisions. If the game...

- Had better save point placement.
- Made regular enemies have at least a minuscule chance of dropping weapon upgrades.
- Swapped the strafe button to B, or made you lock into one direction once you start firing
- Added Classic Controller support
- Added display options
- Hell, added any options at all

... it could have been great. This is a bad sign for where Sunsoft's upcoming remakes are headed.

ReyVGM

Vic, for the next Blaster Master, keep it sprite based 2D, ditch the overhead areas and add sidescrolling levels ala Journey to Silius.

Everyone hates the overhead sections, I don't know why the Blaster Master devs keep adding them. As if the game would be worse without them ;)

And for the next remakes, demand Sunsoft to add some options man. Remember, the majority of people playing these games are old school hardcore gamers, not new gamers or casual gamers. And we old school gamers like options. Let us change the controls, let us change the display, give us alternative endings, give us a New Game + and any other bonus stuff you can come up with.

If the next remake (Valis, Exile, Journey to Silius?) comes with these pre-rendered budget graphics I'm going to be very disappointed :(

Brannon

I hear Sunsoft has bought the rights to Ranger-X.

It's true.

You should totally get on that one.

It's not like the original owner would mind it being used; just do it!

I played it at a friend's place. I'm pretty disappointed with the 2D overhead view level design. They were interesting in the original game with various traps and enemies. In this game it's just an overhead area with some enemies.

vireland

ReyVGM said:
Vic, for the next Blaster Master, keep it sprite based 2D, ditch the overhead areas and add sidescrolling levels ala Journey to Silius.

Everyone hates the overhead sections, I don't know why the Blaster Master devs keep adding them. As if the game would be worse without them ;)

And for the next remakes, demand Sunsoft to add some options man. Remember, the majority of people playing these games are old school hardcore gamers, not new gamers or casual gamers. And we old school gamers like options. Let us change the controls, let us change the display, give us alternative endings, give us a New Game + and any other bonus stuff you can come up with.

The majority of this is stuff that was brought up when it was under development, believe me. I came in too late in the process to affect much on this one, but hopefully this feedback will strengthen my case for the next ones.

But I don't think you're going to see a remade Blaster Master without the Overhead sections, since that's a large part of the Blaster Master ouvre. I think what you're missing is the more thoughtful design in the overhead section with traps, loopbacks, and non-obvious shortcuts.

Anyway, I'm taking all this in and consolidating. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Anyway, I'm taking all this in and consolidating. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Hmmm... do I smell a Blaster Master: Overdrive 2?

I agree it wouldn't be Blaster Master without the overhead section. I'd be damn disappointed if you guys removed it. You guys did mess up the level design in that section, though.

In the original, the layouts were interesting and some felt like mini Zelda dungeons. In the new game (only level 1 right now), the caves felt more like an overhead shooter with no exploration. Right now, these caves are my biggest disappointment.

Look at the original. The caves would zig-zag around filled with blocks to break and dangers on the ground. The layout plus the enemy placement meant either be quick and accurate, or find a safer way to fight. Those warping enemies in the original stage 2 caused me to use the homing blasts because I suck at face to face combat.

In overdrive, I just walk around shooting at everything.

I find the addition of the the ramps annoying. The enemies pounce at me while I'm going up a ramp and I can't aim straight at them.

Right now, I just think a more polished level design and better controls will make it better.

Oh, I like the extra weight on SOPHIA. It doesn't feel as floaty as the original.

ReyVGM

vireland said:
But I don't think you're going to see a remade Blaster Master without the Overhead sections, since that's a large part of the Blaster Master ouvre. I think what you're missing is the more thoughtful design in the overhead section with traps, loopbacks, and non-obvious shortcuts.

I guess you're right. Maybe my problem with the overhead sections is not that they are overhead, but that they don't feel as tight or polished as the Tank sections.

In the original, Jason was too big and the hit detection was kind of wonky, which resulted in a lot of cheap hits. He had very little invincibility time and reducing your Gun after each hit was just not fun.

To this day, there still hasn't been a FUN overhead section in a BM game.

Yaweee

Funny, the last boss was actually one of the easier bosses; not that it isn't elaborate, or that it doesn't throw an absolute ton of shit at you, but by that point you have quite a bit of health and it is pretty generous with the enemies it spawns dropping health and weapon upgrades.

As for the ending:
it hints that there is more coming, so hopefully Vic's feedback is used by the development team.

There's a lot of things wrong with the game that are immediately apparent, but that also makes them easier to fix for a sequel. Addressing this game's flaws would make for a damn good sequel.

Top Bottom