• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blaster Master: Overdrive (WiiWare - Feb 8th/1000pts)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wow, this came out of nowhere, not to mention I have some Nintendo Points lying around. The automap and saving feature are just the icing on the cake - 2 things the original game desperately needed. So yeah, definitely downloading a copy of this tonight.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Thaedolus said:
The sons of bitches put the
Crab
boss first!

If you react like that to changes, well, you're going to be doing that a lot this game.

Act Four is busting my balls.

jman2050

This game is amazing and you are amazing vireland for making it and Sunsoft is amazing for publishing it and it's just amazing.

Amazing.

vireland

TheUnknownForce said:
Before playing the game, I urge you guys to read the Operations Manual. Someone had a fun time with it.

The story is campy all over the place.

The re-imagined basic storyline demanded camp, so I complied. :) Actually, the opening had spoken narration as well, but it put the game over the size limit so it had to be cut. :(

vireland

jman2050 said:
This game is amazing and you are amazing vireland for making it and Sunsoft is amazing for publishing it and it's just amazing.

Amazing.

Although I personally appreciate it, let's not go too crazy with the love. I came on well after Sunsoft had started the game and just helped finish it up for the last 4 months or so. They deserve most of the credit.

Thaedolus

Man God said:
If you react like that to changes, well, you're going to be doing that a lot this game.

Act Four is busting my balls.

Oh, it's fine. It was just a "OH SHIT WTF!" moment when I waltzed in there unprepared. I didn't realize where that little purple ball of energy was taking me.

I went back and upgraded a bit and finished him off. Not nearly as hard as the original CRAB BATTLE, thank God

I only have two real complaints so far: I'm not sure about the MIDI samples used...kinda feels cheapish. And I think having some sort of continuation point (like 3 lives, as in the original) would have benefited the game, but oh well. Overall it feels great to play so far.

@vireland

Can you comment at all on the lack of progressive mode? I'm loving the game, but I can't help to think that it would look better in progressive scan.

vireland

bmf said:
@vireland

Can you comment at all on the lack of progressive mode? I'm loving the game, but I can't help to think that it would look better in progressive scan.

Dunno what the thinking was on that since it came from the Japanese side. Maybe they thought the interlaced gave it a more retro look. I would definitely have preferred progressive scan (and widescreen!). All I can do is collect the feedback and use it to try to get those for the other remakes that come down the line.

Yaweee

vireland said:
Dunno what the thinking was on that since it came from the Japanese side. Maybe they thought the interlaced gave it a more retro look. I would definitely have preferred progressive scan (and widescreen!). All I can do is collect the feedback and use it to try to get those for the other remakes that come down the line.

ooooooooh.

EDarkness

vireland said:

No progressive scan? <sigh> I guess I can't play it then. Progressive scan should be a requirement for every game out there.

sammy

if the game comes off as blurry, your Wii might need to be set at 4:3 in options. the Castlevania Rebirth was 4:3 but all blurry when the Wii stretched it out looks crisp when the Wii is in native 4:3 settings

vireland said:
I wasn't going to bug you about things that seemed like they were a conscious decision on the Japanese side. Like the lack of widescreen and how the screen doesn't seem to scroll very far ahead of where you're moving, or at least glue you centerscreen.

Progressive seems like it would have been fairly minor to implement; something that may have just been overlooked.

But yeah. Progressive and Widescreen as a primary format point with a fallback to a 4:3 seems like it would be the default starting point for new productions.

Brannon

Played a good chunk and I like it; it's definitely Blaster Master. It's all good except for one complaint.

What I don't like is the lack of customizable controls. Strafing in overhead mode is a huge pain; I would've liked to have been able to use the 2 button to strafe and the B button to detonate the smart bomb. But since you did say that there may be other remakes along the pipeline, I suggest fully customizable controls, especially if the game is only going to use the wiimote; that B button is not optimized for constant use when it's being used as a regular controller.

Also allow for Southpaw setup for the lefties out there.

Chemo

OneEightZero said:
GT - Blaster Master: Overdrive - Debut Trailer

I was grabbed from the music alone. ^_^
Really? I find that to be a pretty cheesy rendition of Blaster Master's first level track. The claps sink it pretty hard.

Game looks awesome, though, and I'll be all over it in a week or two. Hope it does well to justify future Blaster Master products -- the original is far and away the best game in the NES library, and it deserves to be an active franchise.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Brannon said:
Played a good chunk and I like it; it's definitely Blaster Master. It's all good except for one complaint.

What I don't like is the lack of customizable controls. Strafing in overhead mode is a huge pain; I would've liked to have been able to use the 2 button to strafe and the B button to detonate the smart bomb. But since you did say that there may be other remakes along the pipeline, I suggest fully customizable controls, especially if the game is only going to use the wiimote; that B button is not optimized for constant use when it's being used as a regular controller.

B Button is really easy to hold down with your middle finger. It sounds uncomfortable but it works.

You'll need it for the act four boss!
:lol

EDarkness

JasonMCG said:
The game doesn't look bad to those on the fence about it not running in 16:9/480p. It looks pretty decent.

Well, my problem is that my Wii is connected to a LCD monitor, not a TV, so if the game isn't progressive scan, then I can't play it. Generally, this isn't a problem as VC games are in progressive scan and most games are in progressive scan. Just glad I found out before I purchased it, because I'd be pretty upset like I was with Madworld.

Eric C

vireland said:

Classic Controller support please.

The Classic Controller Pro is very comfortable to hold and has a nice d-pad too. I'd love to use it more.

Brannon said:

Yes, customizable controls would be great too.

vireland said:
The re-imagined basic storyline demanded camp, so I complied. :) Actually, the opening had spoken narration as well, but it put the game over the size limit so it had to be cut. :(
No chance you could youtube the speech intro or something? a shame it had to go to waste.

Yaweee

The lack of any options at all is really bothersome. Like people have said, it is really dumb that the 2 button isn't for strafing, and is instead used for bombs that you can only ever have one of in your inventory. Sound effects seem too loud compared to the music. Not being CC-compatible is baffling.

The animation for enemies is really good, but I don't like how little variety there is in the backgrounds and areas. They all look like pretty much the same ruin walls and cave backgrounds; Ruins, Caverns, and the Sky Temple are all basically the same, just a different color, new enemies, and new music.

Also not liking how the powerups work. They spawn only in specific spots in certain Gate areas, so one of the game's main strategies is running in and out of Gates to increase your item level, then try not to get hit in the areas leading up to bosses. There's also not necessarily save spots in the Gates that have bosses.

Still, it's pretty fun, but there's just a lot of dumb stuff that makes it feel like a rush job.

I'm really loving this game after about an hour of playing. The first upgrade is great; can't wait to get the others! Looking for all the health/energy boosters is a lot of fun. The overhead sections are still slightly clumsy, but far superior to those in the original game. First boss was satisfying and challenging. The game is still not easy, but the abundance of health pick-ups and modern features like auto-map and save help a lot.

Vic, I know that WiiWare games are occasionally updated. If Sunsoft is open to releasing an updated version of Overload, please ask them to implement progressive scan and Classic Controller support. The latter would especially help with awkward functions like strafing and weapon switching.

vireland

Jonnyboy117 said:
Vic, I know that WiiWare games are occasionally updated. If Sunsoft is open to releasing an updated version of Overload, please ask them to implement progressive scan and Classic Controller support. The latter would especially help with awkward functions like strafing and weapon switching.

That's never happened to any of the WiiWare ones I have to my knowledge. Which titles have been updated after the fact?

vireland

Man God said:
B Button is really easy to hold down with your middle finger. It sounds uncomfortable but it works.

You'll need it for the act four boss!
:lol

Yep, that's what I generally do. Didn't seem that uncomfortable to me. The problem with putting the bomb on the B was that it's not uncommon to accidentally hit it, wasting a single-use super-bomb that's hard to replace.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
vireland said:
Yep, that's what I generally do. Didn't seem that uncomfortable to me. The problem with putting the bomb on the B was that it's not uncommon to accidentally hit it, wasting a single-use super-bomb that's hard to replace.

Especially when I first started.

Level one Boss Fight:

Ok, strafe time. BOOOM.

Area Five is ridiculous. If the game heats up this much I dread to face six seven and eight.

vireland said:
That's never happened to any of the WiiWare ones I have to my knowledge. Which titles have been updated after the fact?
I think, for Wiiware, Gradius: Rebirth (new music, and I think leaderboards and some other features), and for VC, Mario Kart 64, which fixed a bug racing a specific track with 3 people. (Hyperspeed!)

Edit: I saw that! :p
VV

vireland

Agnates said:
Not sure why you need a list to believe it but here's one that was updated: Gradius Rebirth.

It's not an issue of belief, but an issue of being able to point to other titles that have had it done so it makes the case to change it more palatable. None of the ones I have had it done to my knowledge, so I just wanted a few to point to.

Yaweee

At this point, my general thoughts are:

- Tank stuff is great. All of the powerups are awesome, no rooms are ever reused, enemies can actually be kind of hard, and exploration is really damn fun and rewarding.

- Overhead stuff is crappy. The controls hurt my hands, the mechanic of farming powerups, and the repetitive cave design makes the sections boring and frustrating.

The game would be substantially better if it allowed CC, or even required it so that the other two tank weapons could just be mapped to L+R instead of constantly having to switch back and forth.

Kuramu

Quite pleased with it. Looking at the clock, where did those 3 hours go? The music in the first section has an annoying bit to it (that was never annoying in the OST). Some of the enemies seem strangely out of place. The more Metroid like layout is very much to my liking :)

Aw man, no 16:9 support? For an original console game there's just no excuse for this omission. :(

If there's an update that addresses this glaring issue I'll be there. Until then, no.

Come on really? Saying you won't buy it because it doesn't have wide screen support is really just whiny. This, like many other 4:3 games plays perfectly fine stretched out to 16:9.

Bog

Junior Ace
Mr_Furious said:
Aw man, no 16:9 support? For an original console game there's just no excuse for this omission. :(

If there's an update that addresses this glaring issue I'll be there. Until then, no.

Stretch it and quit your bitching.

Ranger X

Wow, just bought it and after I click start in the channel's screen I get a black screen and my Wii seems stalled there!!

what gives?

EDIT: wow. Like 15 mins later the game started!!

Inkwell

Banned
I just finished the area 2 boss. I'm enjoying the game so far, but I do have some complaints. As many others have said, the lack of widescreen/progressive scan is an issue. The controls are a bit awkward as well. I don't have a classic controller, but I do have a GC controller. It would be nice to have the option to use those. Finally, the graphic design of the areas I've been to so far are a little bland.

On the positive side, I like that they took a little more of a metroid-like approach. It's always fun to have extra areas and rewards for exploring. I also think the character designs/animations seem well done. I flat out love the music. Especially the Area 1, 2, and boss music as it's the most familiar to me.

This really feels like the sequel the game should have gotten during the snes (or possibly ps1) era. I wanted to play the game longer but I don't have the time tonight.

Ranger X said:
Wow, just bought it and after I click start in the channel's screen I get a black screen and my Wii seems stalled there!!

what gives?

EDIT: wow. Like 15 mins later the game started!!

This happens to me sometimes with random games/channels. I think it's a flaw in the firmware, although I'm not ruling out a weird bug with this specific game.

My brother spent most of today playing this. He's given up at the 5th world boss, and looked like he was about to throw the wiimote through the TV. His words were "Motherfucking checkpoints before the bosses would be really fucking nice about now". I think he'd be a lot happier right now if he didn't have to repeatedly fight his way to the boss.

Thaedolus

bmf said:
My brother spent most of today playing this. He's given up at the 5th world boss, and looked like he was about to throw the wiimote through the TV. His words were "Motherfucking checkpoints before the bosses would be really fucking nice about now". I think he'd be a lot happier right now if he didn't have to repeatedly fight his way to the boss.

Or at least having lives before game over. I feel like the save option was a great addition, but it was pretty much mooted by taking away your lives :|

Making the bosses hard as shit and then making it a long and difficult trek back each time you die is kind of a dick move...but I'm still determined to beat this shit

I downloaded Overdrive this morning before class and the original NES classic last week. It has been an absolute nostalgic blast! I grew up playing the original NES BM, but I cannot for the life of me remember ever finishing it as a child. I've been gaming for over 20 years and I feel like I have grown more in tune with games with each passing year, but I found myself getting lost a lot, especially in Area 3, in the original NES BM :lol

I played Overdrive for about an hour and enjoyed it for the most part. I love how there is backtracking with new upgrades to find permanent ENG and Health upgrades, total Metroid thing going on. The music is great and the enemies look cool. I don't like Wiimote scheme either. I would LOVE for a CC option, but I can live with holding the Wiimote sideways. However, I cannot stand pressing + to go in and out of my vehicle.

By the way, just wanted to show my support Vic! I have been a Working Designs fan since the PSone era and I miss you guys. While Atlus has taken your spot as "that" RPG publisher, you guys were the originators!

BTW, I wish we could have gotten a chance to play that Goemon PS2 game. I am a huge Goemon fan and when I saw that WD was about to bring it to NA I flipped out! It's a shame that whole scene was a mess because I was really looking forward to it.

Top Bottom