• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blaster Master: Overdrive (WiiWare - Feb 8th/1000pts)

Watches trailers. Seeing the map function in the upper right corner.:D
Thank you SUNSOFT.
The only way to make it perfect is a save feature.

Agnates

Banned
vireland said:
I think it would be imprecise because it *was*.
Sounds like user error, developer error, or both. The pointer is as precise as a mouse if done right, the only valid complaint one can have is the FPS view turning isn't to their liking, but for a 2D game with a side or top down view, that is nonexistent. Abuse-like setups are used by countless games on PC, and a few on Wii, which show it's just as precise. Maybe you need the age-old hint: keep the remote rested in your lap and do slight wrist movements to aim, don't extend your arm and wave it around.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Man, with so many other games to play, Overdrive looks like it's going to make me go back and become a Blaster Master Fanboy. (o_O) Part of it I suppose, is that the overhead segments are making me nostalgic for Ys: The Ark of Napishtim!

Though I don't expect it by looking at the graphic style, Vic, is there any chance of this coming to XBLA later on, or is this Wii exclusive? On multi-plat games, I always get 360, as I have personal access to the system, where as our Wii is a family shared system... which makes it a bit harder to get personal gametime on.

Good to see some news on the Sunsoft front, after the Telenet IP aquisition stuff from Dec, I wonder each day if we'll get an update on any of those possibilities! This is close enough, for a little while!

jman2050

Agnates said:
Sounds like user error, developer error, or both. The pointer is as precise as a mouse if done right, the only valid complaint one can have is the FPS view turning isn't to their liking, but for a 2D game with a side or top down view, that is nonexistent. Abuse-like setups are used by countless games on PC, and a few on Wii, which show it's just as precise. Maybe you need the age-old hint: keep the remote rested in your lap and do slight wrist movements to aim, don't extend your arm and wave it around.

Yeah, the developer should have just taken your word for it and ignored the presumably countless play tests they had using this system. That would've been the responsible decision.

Agnates

Banned
jman2050 said:
Yeah, the developer should have just taken your word for it and ignored the presumably countless play tests they had using this system. That would've been the responsible decision.
No, we should just take his word (he doesn't seem experienced, or creative, since the setup didn't even occur to him at first, even though it's been used in other games, in side view too) instead of our hands-on experience with such mechanics! I didn't say it's right for this game (for example, full 360 shooting wouldn't be right for a Mega Man game, for obvious reasons) as I haven't played it, but talking about imprecision and sluggishness as opposed to just not fitting the game's design seems pretty damn stupid, developer or not. It's not imprecise or sluggish. It's precise and fast. Videos like these wouldn't exist if the Wii's pointer mechanics were flawed in such ways by default. Fact.

vireland

RPG_Fanatic said:
Watches trailers. Seeing the map function in the upper right corner.:D
Thank you SUNSOFT.
The only way to make it perfect is a save feature.

Three Save Slots
screen7.jpg

Color-coded auto-map
screen8.jpg

Since this is metroid like, how long did it take to complete the NES version on average? is there also a set route or can you mix things up a little bit?

Diablohead said:
Since this is metroid like, how long did it take to complete the NES version on average? is there also a set route or can you mix things up a little bit?

The game is linear in that you have to go from one Area to the next and can't continue until you kill the boss. The boss, however, is hard to find as it is hidden in cave areas (and lord knows how many there are in the game). You do backtracking, and the areas themselves have a lot of exploration, but ultimately, the game is linear overall.

Length wise, I got to world 6 (of 8) in about 3-4 hours, and that included all three continues. You'll be spending more time, though, to finish. The game is unkind to those who get hit. Hehe, like Demon's Souls, if you are harmed, the game punishes you, and it just gets harder from there. :p

But it is so worth it.

vireland said:
Three Save Slots
screen7.jpg

Color-coded auto-map
screen8.jpg

*bows*

Oh yeah, when you say this is a re-imagining of the original, is it like Silent Hill: Shattered Memories/A Boy and His Blob level of re-imagining or what?

Mayor Haggar said:
I find this incredibly disappointing, couldn't you have gone a few steps further. You have the ability, the only missing link is whether you have it in you!

You should have said, "I have a Wii, there's some good games on there, I haven't played a single one, but I refuse to, because quite frankly, I find the whole system such a joke. :lol "

Or, "I have tons of food in my fridge, some of it is really delicious, but I just refuse to get up and take it out of there, because quite frankly, fridges are bullshit, and also a joke! :lol "

I am truly disappoint.

:lol

I do have a Wii.

I own Mario Kart, Muramasa, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Resident Evil 4, Okami, Wii Sport, Wii Sport Resort, No More Heroes, Mad World, Tatsunoko Vs Capcom and games I don't care to mention because I got them for when my nieces and nephews come over.

Apparently for you Nintendo fanboys, you have a hard time accepting preferences and opinions. Anyway I'm done responding to you guys. You guys act like I killed your parents or something with my post.

Penguin

Phoenix Fang said:
:lol

I do have a Wii.

I own Mario Kart, Muramasa, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Resident Evil 4, Okami, Wii Sport, Wii Sport Resort, No More Heroes, Mad World, Tatsunoko Vs Capcom and games I don't care to mention because I got them for when my nieces and nephews come over.

Apparently for you Nintendo fanboys, you have a hard time accepting preferences and opinions. Anyway I'm done responding to you guys. You guys act like I killed your parents or something with my post.

I like how you selectively respond to post so you don't answer rational questions presented by other people.

But carry on.

Penguin said:
I like how you selectively respond to post so you don't answer rational questions presented by other people.

But carry on.

I like how I already explained myself but people want to ignore it.

But carry on ignoring it.

Man God said:
I see walk on walls, but I'm not sure I see walk on ceiling.

No walk on ceiling=no sale.
But I see a grapple hook!

As someone who does not own a wii and lacks money to buy any type of console right now this thread is pain to me.

Penguin

Phoenix Fang said:
I like how I already explained myself but people want to ignore it.

But carry on ignoring it.

But people have rational questions, like you stated, "you've never taken your Wii online" and then say you find the whole Wii online thing to be a joke.

You can't know its a joke if you've never taken it online.

But I don't see how Wii online= downloadable games. I mean the system runs just as well as everyone else's.

entremet

Penguin said:
But people have rational questions, like you stated, "you've never taken your Wii online" and then say you find the whole Wii online thing to be a joke.

But I don't see how Wii online= downloadable games. I mean the system runs just as well as everyone else's.
I'm guessing he means that WiiWare/VC games are tied to your console, unlike an online account like PSN/Wiiware.

Penguin said:

I used to own a Wii before and I used to take it online and it was a hassle. I got rid of the Wii after about a year of owning it. Then I bought another one last year and have never bothered to take it online.

I mean does my decision not to take my Wii online really affect you and your Wii? If it doesn't why do you and others care?

Anony

i sure hope there's widescreen support because it doesnt look like there is from the trailer and screenshots

wondermega

I have probably gone on a bit about it, but I gotta say it's nice to see this show of support for BM. I always felt it was one of the best games from the 8-Bit and got completely overshadowed by Metroid's legacy. It's nice to come in here and see people coming out of the woodwork with fond memories for showing how influentical that (relative) sleeper of a game really was.

(not to knock on Metroid - I guess Space Pirates are more captivating than Mutant Frogs!)

Phoenix Fang said:
I used to own a Wii before and I used to take it online and it was a hassle. I got rid of the Wii after about a year of owning it. Then I bought another one last year and have never bothered to take it online.

I mean does my decision not to take my Wii online really affect you and your Wii? If it doesn't why do you and others care?

I guess I'm not familiar with what "take it online" entails. Initial setup of your router configuration should set you back a whole 30 seconds. After setup, what is causing you such a hassle? Humor me with details if you would.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Diablohead said:
But I see a grapple hook!

As someone who does not own a wii and lacks money to buy any type of console right now this thread is pain to me.

It's not the same man. There's just something so awesome about walking on the ceiling!

It also reminds me that Metal Storm still isn't on the VC!

Phoenix Fang said:

I would personally appreciate it if you stop responding to us "irrational Wii fanboys" like you said you would 6 posts ago.

Oh, it doesn't affect us, not at all.

But it's sure affecting the overall quality of this thread. And since you won't be playing this seemingly awesome-looking game, because the Wii's online system is apparently worse than the holocaust....

I don't see any point for you to be posting in this thread any longer.

Mayor Haggar said:
I find this incredibly disappointing, couldn't you have gone a few steps further. You have the ability, the only missing link is whether you have it in you!

You should have said, "I have a Wii, there's some good games on there, I haven't played a single one, but I refuse to, because quite frankly, I find the whole system such a joke. :lol "

Or, "I have tons of food in my fridge, some of it is really delicious, but I just refuse to get up and take it out of there, because quite frankly, fridges are bullshit, and also a joke! :lol "

I am truly disappoint.
Nice :lol

Mayor Haggar said:
I would personally appreciate it if you stop responding to us "irrational Wii fanboys" like you said you would 6 posts ago.

Oh, it doesn't affect us, not at all.

But it's sure affecting the overall quality of this thread. And since you won't be playing this seemingly awesome-looking game, because the Wii's online system is apparently worse than the holocaust....

I don't see any point for you to be posting in this thread any longer.

Obviously my replies affect you because if it didn't you wouldn't have responded to my replies. I mean if you didn't care so much, either you would've put me on ignore or ignore my replies.

LOL you act like I was putting the game down or something.

If I want to play it, I will find a way to play it. I know people who are interested in this game and will probably buy it, so I will play it when they get it. Plain and simple.

jrricky

Banned
Phoenix Fang said:
Explain why it's ridiculous.

Wow look like I've upset some fanboys. Anyway not going to get into an argument.
I dont understand...what was the point of commenting in this thread, and then adding what you did at the end? That's ridiculous.
unless that was your agenda

jrricky said:
I dont understand...what was the point of commenting in this thread then, and then adding what you did at the end? That's ridiculous.

Dude, don't bother bringing logic to this argument.

It's not super effective.

Nessus

I really don't see how "taking the Wii online" is difficult or inconvenient in the least.

It was *exactly* the same as "taking my PS3 online."

Search for wireless networks. Enter WPA key. Log on to store. Enter credit card. Buy game.

Like, literally the exact same process.

plank

Mayor Haggar said:
The trailer has a good sample, if you missed it.

The boss music was one of my favorites music in the nes game. I was wondering what it would sound like in this game?

Nessus said:
I really don't see how "taking the Wii online" is difficult or inconvenient in the least.

It was *exactly* the same as "taking my PS3 online."

Search for wireless networks. Enter WPA key. Log on to store. Enter credit card. Buy game.

Like, literally the exact same process.
I have no idea what he is talking about honestly. As a matter of fact, its probably even more of a no brainer to connect the wii due to the over-sized buttons and icons.

Enk

makes good threads.
Haye guys! There's a brand spankin new 2d Blaster Master game coming out tomorrow!

Let's get hyped by posting random Blaster Master crap!

Original Japanese Blaster Master Famicon art!

metafight.jpg

Americano NES art!

blaster-master__jpg_500x500_q85.jpg

Blaster Master scans from GamePlayers' strategy guide:

blaster-master-1.jpg
blaster-master-2.jpg

Blaster Master 2 ad! :p

blasterMaster2Ad.jpg

Sorry, trying to divert attention away from Fang's odd personal life choices.
Edit: oh I see the conversation has finally swtiched to ingame music. Good good. Carry on.

Buying a Wii points card on the way home from school tomorrow. Getting this and one of the Konami Rebirth titles. Maybe Gradius. I'm loving all the 2D lately!

radcliff

Anony said:
i sure hope there's widescreen support because it doesnt look like there is from the trailer and screenshots

If its like Megaman, Contra, or Castlevania for WiiWare, make your Wii 4:3 but your TV set to 16:9 and the game will run in widescreen (and make the game look better).

rhino4evr

First bionic commando
then boy and his blob
and now blaster master?

Wow old school gamers rejoice! My favorite 3rd party game on the NES finally gets it's due!!!!!!

sphinx

the piano man
So, the topic title says Feb the 8th.

We are technically Feb 8th right now in the US east cost and in about 40 minutes, center time.

Anyone checking if the game is available now????

sphinx said:

We are technically Feb 8th right now in the US east cost and in about 40 minutes, center time.

Probably not because we know that the shop channel isn't updated til 12:00 PM EST

Somnid

sphinx said:

The Wii Shop has always updated Monday at 9:00am PST. Go to sleep.

Top Bottom