• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blaster Master: Overdrive (WiiWare - Feb 8th/1000pts)

vireland

KevinCow said:
I was.

Here's that Abuse game. I haven't played it, but it looks exactly like I was talking about, except with the mouse instead of the pointer.

I really don't see how you could think aiming with the pointer would be slow, imprecise, or frustrating. Every experience I've had with it has been exactly the opposite.

I think it would be imprecise because it *was*. Early builds used that scheme for the S.O.P.H.I.A. parts. I mean, I could deal with it, but it wasn't enjoyable, especially when deploying the hook (specifically) in a manner that required precision.

BTW, that Abuse game looks pretty ripe for a remake, too. Wonder how I missed it when it game out way back when...

Steel Cog

Neo Member
Yeah, Abuse was ace. All you need to think about is to survive and out-platform the rather fast and erratic bad guys while aiming huge lasers and rockets at them. Need more Platform shooters like that.

This Blaster Master looks pretty good, and overall it seems to mimic the original in terms of physics and playability. But the genesis version left scars quite deep. Can't wait for initial user reviews.

Nessus

Really looking forward to this. I hope it turns out good. If it gets decent reviews/word of mouth here on GAF I'll buy it for sure. I'm loving all these 2D retro remakes/new entries in old series I loved.

KevinCow said:
I was.

Here's that Abuse game. I haven't played it, but it looks exactly like I was talking about, except with the mouse instead of the pointer.

I really don't see how you could think aiming with the pointer would be slow, imprecise, or frustrating. Every experience I've had with it has been exactly the opposite.

Personally every game I've played with that kind of setup was really frustrating/confusing.

Guess it works for some people and not for others.

wsippel

Banned
vireland said:
I think it would be imprecise because it *was*. Early builds used that scheme for the S.O.P.H.I.A. parts. I mean, I could deal with it, but it wasn't enjoyable, especially when deploying the hook (specifically) in a manner that required precision.
It definitely takes some getting used to, and I don't want to imply that it would have been better for this game, specifically. It's just a nice control scheme.

BTW, that Abuse game looks pretty ripe for a remake, too. Wonder how I missed it when it game out way back when...
It sure is. I don't understand why nobody made a WiiWare remake yet.

Nessus

Phoenix Fang said:
Explain why it's ridiculous.

Because there are some really good games on Wii Ware? Though I think "ridiculous" is a little harsh. Just confusing as to why anyone would set such artificial rules for which games they allow themselves to play (or why they'd come into a thread clearly marked "Wii Ware" just to let everyone know that they don't buy games on Wii Ware).

Mafro

Phoenix Fang said:
Explain why it's ridiculous.

Wow look like I've upset some fanboys. Anyway not going to get into an argument.

Not going to bother giving a reason as why you are refusing to download some fantastic games?

Thanks so much for the trailer. I'm in love with that Area 1 remix right now. All that's gotta happen now is a Saints win and my weekend is complete. Thanks again Vic and I hope Sunsoft isn't gun-shy about bringing more classics to us. I'm starting to think more and more that a HD version of Waku Waku 7 is really possible now.

The remix is okay, though I am concerned that the worlds might look a tad too similar, unless we've only seen 3 or 4 of the worlds. And now I know about 4 of the bosses already :p

entremet

Nice trailer. I forgot how awesome Sunsoft was in the soundtrack dept. Too bad their awesome licensed games won't be released on VC--Batman NES, Gremlins 2 NES.

Cipherr

Phoenix Fang said:
Wow look like I've upset some fanboys. Anyway not going to get into an argument.

WHAT fanboys exactly.....fanboys of good games that have been being released on download services for the last 4 years? :lol

Right...

Hey vireland, how are the controls in this game? My only gripe with the original is that it's hard to stop on a dime. I know it was intentional, but it doesn't really work for a game that plays closer to a platformer than a racing game. I would love is if the tank felt more like a Metal Slug tank + Blaster Master jumps.

Puncture said:
WHAT fanboys exactly.....fanboys of good games that have been being released on download services for the last 4 years? :lol

Right...

:lol

You act like I said the game was bad. I never said the game was bad. I'm talking about the Nintendo fanboys who have a hard time accepting that not a lot of people care about downloading stuff onto the Wii.

My first comment was that the game looks cool and it really look great but I don't care to download stuff from Wiiware or VC. I have a Wii and its not even online nor have I ever taken it online. I honestly can't be bothered to take it online, hell I don't even have a friend code for it.

I just find the Wii online to be a complete joke but that's just my opinion whether you like it or not.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Phoenix Fang said:

You act like I said the game was bad. I never said the game was bad. I'm talking about the Nintendo fanboys who have a hard time accepting that not a lot of people care about downloading stuff onto the Wii.

My first comment was that the game looks cool and it really look great but I don't care to download stuff from Wiiware or VC. I have a Wii and its not even online nor have I ever taken it online. I honestly can't be bothered to take it online, hell I don't even have a friend code for it.

I just find the Wii online to be a complete joke but that's just my opinion whether you like it or not.

First rule of the Internet: Everybody has an opinion.

Second rule of the Internet: Everybody can laugh if your opinion is ridiculous.

(The door swings both ways.)

So, out of curiosity, do you download games on a 360 or PS3? On PC with Steam or another DD service? Or do you simply refuse to pay for DD games? Ironically, the position that one doesn't want to support DD services is more rational than just laughing at good games on one console's download service because it's "silly" while simultaneously downloading games on another service.

vireland

Cow Mengde said:
Hey vireland, how are the controls in this game? My only gripe with the original is that it's hard to stop on a dime. I know it was intentional, but it doesn't really work for a game that plays closer to a platformer than a racing game. I would love is if the tank felt more like a Metal Slug tank + Blaster Master jumps.

Still can't stop on a dime, but if you could, I don't think it would feel like Blaster Master.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Kaijima said:
First rule of the Internet: Everybody has an opinion.

Second rule of the Internet: Everybody can laugh if your opinion is ridiculous.

(The door swings both ways.)

So, out of curiosity, do you download games on a 360 or PS3? On PC with Steam or another DD service? Or do you simply refuse to pay for DD games? Ironically, the position that one doesn't want to support DD services is more rational than just laughing at good games on one console's download service because it's "silly" while simultaneously downloading games on another service.

Sounds to me like someone who doesn't have a Wii and is trolling.

I mean, there are valid excuses for not taking a Wii online or downloading games, these include, but are not necessarily limited to.

-Having a dialup connection.
-Not having a wireless connection and being too cheap/too lazy to get a LAN adapter.

vireland said:
Still can't stop on a dime, but if you could, I don't think it would feel like Blaster Master.

I don't know man. Not being able to stop on a dime is not what defines Blaster Master for me. It's the Metroid like gameplay, the unique overhead mazes, and the crazy plot that defines the game for me. I got used to it in the original, I'm sure I'll be fine with this. I just wish I didn't have to get used to it again.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
What's Blaster Master?

Phoenix Fang said:

How can you be sure it's a complete joke without ever using it? People on GAF get tore a new one if they talk shit about game's they haven't played, this is the same situation.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
I have been avoiding this thread because I assumed the game would look like crap but now that I finally clicked the thread I have to say game looks really cool. I liked orginal BM and I hope this will be good game too.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
vireland said:
There's been some internal debate about this. I'm in the "announce a couple weeks in advance" camp, but Japan side is in the "surprise, look what's up today!" camp. Trying to hit a happy medium. Yeah these are relatively inexpensive purchases, but I think the advance notice helps people plan their gaming budget a little.

This would explain quite a bit about certain WiiWare releases.

I have tried about 3 times a long time ago to play the original Blaster Master but never got into it, this however looks like great fun and a good way to try out the game in a modern way :D I have no wii so will have to ask my cousin.

vireland

Shard said:
This would explain quite a bit about certain WiiWare releases.

Still trying to wrap my head around it because it makes no sense at all to a game-playing consumer who happens to have some influence. All I can say is it has to be a cultural thing. In Japan it seems to be all the rage to just drop download titles out of the clear blue sky with no warning - and in Japanese fashion, everyone follows suit and does it as well. It makes no sense at all to me, and I'm trying to change that for the Sunsoft US releases at the very least. I think a little heads-up might even *gasp*, sell more units on day 1. Prove me right and let's change the world. :)

To be honest...

This is more than I expected. It looks and sounds great. If the control is there, which I imagine it is, we'll in for a treat come tomorrow.

Thanks for the, awesome!

What could be next?

Edit:

Heh, I just logged out and thought to myself, "Man, I wish it was tomorrow!"

It looks awesome visually, and appears to be a hell of a lot of fun to play! But that music lacks balls. Not that it's very important...

Wow, this looks great. I will honestly say WiiWare is the best place for this, hopefully everyone played the NES original (available on VC).

Looks like it will tide us over for that eternal wait for Cave Story.

Wow, this is awesome. I'll be downloading it after work tomorrow! But, Vic, please tell me it has classic controller support....

jetsetfluken said:
Looks like it will tide us over for that eternal wait for Cave Story.

Seriously! I played Cave Story Wii at PAX back in September! I wish we knew what the hold up was...

JaseMath

Phoenix Fang said:
Wii online is a complete joke, but there's some very good games on the VC and WiiWare. Sure, laugh at the online infrastructure of the games, but at least download some of the DD stuff - you're missing out.

Agent X

Easy_D said:
Never played the original but hot damn that looks nice. Looks like a classic 16bit game.

Same here, I've never played the original game, but the video looks pretty sweet.

Phoenix Fang said:

I could understand if you're saying that the feature set of the overall online service is far behind what you get on the other two consoles...

However, we're talking about digital downloads from an online storefront here. This is just one aspect of the feature set, and this works pretty well on Wii. There's no fee to sign up, and (assuming you have a Wi-Fi router in your home) setup takes less than 5 minutes.

Couldn't you at least try it before passing judgment? There are a few free demos out there, if you want to experience for yourself how the downloading process works.

Eric C

Reluctant-Hero said:
Wow, this is awesome. I'll be downloading it after work tomorrow! But, Vic, please tell me it has classic controller support....

Yeah, does this support the classic controller?

Phoenix Fang said:

I find this incredibly disappointing, couldn't you have gone a few steps further. You have the ability, the only missing link is whether you have it in you!

You should have said, "I have a Wii, there's some good games on there, I haven't played a single one, but I refuse to, because quite frankly, I find the whole system such a joke. :lol "

Or, "I have tons of food in my fridge, some of it is really delicious, but I just refuse to get up and take it out of there, because quite frankly, fridges are bullshit, and also a joke! :lol "

I am truly disappoint.

Top Bottom