• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLOODBORNE Impressions Thread : And so the Nightly Hunt Begins

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine DS3 in 2-3 years. Jesus.
Maybe U4 was really legit

Sorry if I've misunderstood, but what makes you think these games are running on Unreal?

Sony's graphical talent is mind boggling.

Not to dispute this statement, but it's probably less thanks to Sony than you're giving them credit for - especially in the case of Bloodborne. You'd think they'd lend some special graphical insight seeing as it's a first-party exclusive on their own hardware, but you'd be surprised at how much is left to the dev.

aravuus

Sorry if I've misunderstood, but what makes you think these games are running on Unreal?

I think he's talking about Uncharted 4. You know, if Bloodborne looks this good, it's possible U4 will actually end up looking as good as the teaser we've seen.

Kieli

Do you guys the lag and screen-tearing from the leaked gameplay trailer was a byproduct of the recording method?

It seems FromSoft has cleaned up very nicely.

image_bloodborne-26032-2994_0002.jpg

Look at this pic! How amazing is that?
I showed this image to my girlfriend and her reaction was "Wow". :D

Joei

Can't wait till this comes out. Don't have a PS4 at the moment and if I don't have one by then, then it will surely be a system seller.

Next year is going to be so good. So, so good.

AmyS

I could easily imagine the engine / graphics used for Bloodborne PS4 (which will be 30 FPS) being used again in Dark Souls 3 two years later (early 2017) with some extra added dynamic lighting work (hint, hint) for PS4, again at 30 FPS, and 60 FPS on PC.

some portrait view camera capture from the show floor, but is that magic i see at 2:26 to 2:31??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPjdM6I4_wA

It's a pyromancy alright. I'm think magical elements from past games will be in but with a more industrial flavor instead of a magical one. Example, those fireballs are made from a glove that ignites vials full of combustibles.

No it's a Molotov cocktail that you can pick up at the very start of the demo.

Yep, that's what I figured.

You can see he only has a couple because the 'I've run out!' animation happens after the second molotov when he tries to throw another.

It looks a lot like a good old fire orb though, animation is very similar if not same as throwing stuff in DS.

Persona7

Banned
This is just oozing Miyazaki. It is just seeping with that "deep sorrow of a magnificent beast doomed to a slow and possibly endless descent into ruin." The very definition of hauntingly beautiful. Miyazaki you magnificent bastard!

Does the director really handle all the art in the game? FROM SOFTWARE typically outsources a large majority of the art design and has a small team of art people on staff.

I wonder what engine this is though. If I remember correctly the phyre engine was falsely attributed to being used in Demon's/Dark and Dark Souls 2 uses a completely new engine that they were planning to re-use for next gen.

Tactics18

Nice video, you can kinda see how the regain system works (I was hoping it will be more subtle to be honest).

I guess that they really nerfed the enemies for the demo, because he's cutting through them like butter.

Shengar

Does the director really handle all the art in the game? FROM SOFTWARE typically outsources a large majority of the art design and has a small team of art people on staff.

More like Miyazaki micro-manage the art in his game. Most of the time, he will asked the artists in the assigned areas to give him illustrated concepts of what he want in that area. He will explained beforehand to the artist of his own conception. This is the impression from the interview in Dark Souls artbook featuring Miyazaki and three people responsible in the art department.

Amir0x

Banned
It looks awesome, but I'm curious what other environments there will be. Mainly because everything I've seen so far is creepy as fuck....and is it ever daytime in Bloodborne land?

The entire thing takes place around this one city, and Latria is the inspiration for this shit. Relentlessly Dark and menacingly dark are the only two light options ;)

Amir0x

Banned
Nah, the city is only a part of the game.

This is all I ever see ->

Bloodborne takes place in an ancient, forgotten city called Yharnam, known for an old medical remedy. Over the years, many hopeless and afflicted people have made long pilgrimages to Yharnam in search of help. As the main character, you are one of these travelers. However, you find that Yharnam is also cursed with a horrible endemic illness. You must navigate the perilous streets of this city, fighting off nightmarish creatures, malformed beasts and deranged mobs stricken with this horrific illness. Face your fears as you discover the secrets and mysteries of this dark and horrific world where danger, death and madness lurk around every corner.

What they're including in the "city" is liberal, there's some outter places you go, but from all the interviews I've seen so far, it does seem that's where the bulk of the game is. The city is supposedly massive.

I'd love to hear I was wrong though!

This is all I ever see ->

What they're including in the "city" is liberal, there's some outter places you go, but from all the interviews I've seen so far, it does seem that's where the bulk of the game is. The city is supposedly massive.

I'd love to hear I was wrong though!

from playstation blog link:

At E3 we introduced players the city of Yharnam, where Bloodborne starts out. Yharnam is an ancient city known for medical practices. However the story of Bloodborne will take you beyond the walls of Yharnam into new locations where greater dangers await. And along the way, you will find new weapons to have at your disposal to take on these threats.

Yeah the metal stuff i can understand but have we seen any video showing wooden stuff getting destroyed?

Wooden boxes is the most I've seen.

Bruticuz

Banned
Dark Souls 1 and 2 also had the same thing in the demo kiosks. It's just a quick way to show player different gameplay options for game shows. Calm your socks.

My hart was pounding, i know it is a demo but still.
On one side i want it to be different, but on the other hand i want it to stay as DS is.

Top Bottom