• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLOODBORNE Impressions Thread : And so the Nightly Hunt Begins

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
FPS question:

Bloodborne is currently my most anticipated game. Complaints of FPS issues have me a little worried, though, as sub-30 and not locked could be brutal for a game designed around aggressive play and "no room for mistakes". Knowing NOTHING about game development, can FPS be fixed (improved?) in 6-7 months without sacrificing other things (Resolution, IQ, lighting, etc.)??
Considering it was running at like 15fps at E3, was considerably improved by the version at Gamescom, and it's at least six months out I wouldn't be too worried if the target is 30fps. Sony's helping too so I assume their engineers will get it up to snuff by release.

Damn, this game sure is looking good.

"Early 2015" I want to believe, but I don't know. April-May is my bet.
That sounds right to me too. Within six months sounds a bit ambitious but I doubt it's too much further out.

xAniki88

Banned
Compared to the E3 demo, the gamescom's one is already a big improvement
I'm confident that it will run at 30 solid when it'll launch

Edit. aaaaand beaten

Vidpixel

lol that's the video I recorded, yes, it's not from Gamescom, it's from Festigames in Chile and yes we where allowed to record, I'm uploading a new one but it don't look this good, that's why I uploaded the other first, when I finish uploading I'll put the other link ;)

Really nice video, but I'm not going to lie, the whole time watching it, I was mentally shouting, "Lock-on, man!"

Drencrom

Yoshida even acknowledged that Demon's Souls was really rough when it was in development: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-10-sony-admits-dropping-the-ball-with-demons-souls

"What happened with Demon's Souls was until very late in the game's development, we were not able to play the game through. There were framerate issues and the network was not up and running. We underestimated the quality of the game and to be honest, the media in Japan did the same."

I have complete faith in FROM and Sony that they will have the game running at a stable framerate at release.

This is gonna be a big game for PS4, I don't think either Sony or FROM wants to drop the ball on this one.

Should we assume, then, that the target is a locked 30fps?

Yes, they've said it's gonna be 1080p at 30fps

By "look" i mean animations and the weight everything seems to have to it not art direction. I can tell from the walking animations to the unlocked roll that whatever engine they used or modifications they made in Dark Souls 2 arent being used here. Which is a good thing.

Ah, yes, absolutely. The animations look much better. I believe DeS and DS1 used inverse kinematics for footwork animations which gave them a rigid footing (occasionally causing the foot to bend unnaturally but looking much better in motion.) DS2 used motion capture for a lot of animations so the movement was "authentic", but the animations didn't necessarily match up with character movement so it gave a floating or even slipping effect, especially when circle strafing. Either they went back to the original way of doing it, or they managed to better sync mock animations.

Avadon

Neo Member
Really nice video, but I'm not going to lie, the whole time watching it, I was mentally shouting, "Lock-on, man!"

lol yea, I wasn't really paying attention to the player or how he was playing, I was just trying to keep the camera in good position between the people passing by to get a video with better quality, I didn't even knew Sony where going to have that demo there, but when I saw it I just stoped where I shouldn't to record the videos for you guys lol

Ah, yes, absolutely. The animations look much better. I believe DeS and DS1 used inverse kinematics for footwork animations which gave them a rigid footing (occasionally causing the foot to bend unnaturally but looking much better in motion.) DS2 used motion capture for a lot of animations so the movement was "authentic", but the animations didn't necessarily match up with character movement so it gave a floating or even slipping effect, especially when circle strafing. Either they went back to the original way of doing it, or they managed to better sync mock animations.

Hmm I just learned something new! Inverse kinematics thank you! haha

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Guys...I'm starting to get hyped for Bloodborne but found myself unable to get into Demon's and have never played Dark Souls. I liked Demon's base design and art but found the stats too obtuse but I like the sound of the combat system in Bloodborne. Am I doomed to not like it/suck immensely?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Guys...I'm starting to get hyped for Bloodborne but found myself unable to get into Demon's and have never played Dark Souls. I liked Demon's base design and art but found the stats too obtuse but I like the sound of the combat system in Bloodborne. Am I doomed to not like it/suck immensely?

An informational barrier is a one-time problem that can be overcome. Just don't force yourself to play it without looking up answers to your questions and you should get into it fine.

If I wasn't already into the series, the way this game looks would force me to get into it, difficulties be damned.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
An informational barrier is a one-time problem that can be overcome. Just don't force yourself to play it without looking up answers to your questions and you should get into it fine.

If I wasn't already into the series, the way this game looks would force me to get into it, difficulties be damned.
This was probably my problem. I was determined to play Demon's without a guide then my save got lost and I never went back to it.

If you're struggling with the game I don't think there's anything wrong with watching a few Let's Play videos from some vets to get a quick look at how things are supposed to work. I initially played the whole game without knowing about lock-on... Frustrating! But once the game clicks with you, you'll be hooked.

Honestly things like the weapon upgrade system and World Tendency are very obtuse in Demon's so using a guide for those things are perfectly fine.

However, Dark Souls I feel is a bit easier to understand in terms of leveling and weapon upgrades. Also the stat descriptions are right there in the menus if you follow the button prompts.

Imo Bloodborne will feel much like the other Souls games, but with tweaks. If you havent played through either without a shield, or much at all, you may have some trouble getting used to it. But that is a given for anyone new to the souls type of gameplay.

I say go get Dark Souls 1, play it and then come back to Demon's. If there is something you cant wrap your head around system wise no shame in looking it up. Can only help you appreciate the games more.

cackhyena

I get freaked out by games like this so easily, it's only partly why I've never bothered with the Demons/Dark games. My nephew brought over one of them last fall and I played a bit, just didn't like the way his particular character moved or played. Didn't really find the aesthetic appealing at all either. This game is different. Really dig the look. Don't know if I can get past the whole being a puss thing, though.

v4skunk84

Banned
I would start with Dark Souls. The interconnected world and law are the best of all the Souls. DS2 is more friendly to new players, but is a simpler game over all. I don't recommend Demons because it is a little dated and you may get the wrong impression of the series.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

I actually tried playing Demon's Souls once or twice before this leaked, but I never finished. After, it got me really hyped and I finished Demon's and DS1/2 within a couple of weeks. Great games.

AmyS

I'm not really worried about the framerate. Since it has improved from E3 to Gamescom, it should probably improve again between Gamescom and TGS. And even TGS is a still a number of months before launch (lets say March or April).

I am merely guessing here, but since Bloodborne is being co-developed with Sony JAPAN Studio, that studio should have access to the latest improvements to PS4's SDK / API / drivers, which are being worked on by two teams under Sony -- ICE Team and Razor Team aka SN Systems. There was a thread about that.

As long as Bloodborne is mostly 30fps with only some minor dips here and there, I'll be fine with the framerate.

RexNovis

Banned
Does the director really handle all the art in the game? FROM SOFTWARE typically outsources a large majority of the art design and has a small team of art people on staff.

I wonder what engine this is though. If I remember correctly the phyre engine was falsely attributed to being used in Demon's/Dark and Dark Souls 2 uses a completely new engine that they were planning to re-use for next gen.

Actually all indications are that Miyazaki manages any and all art for the games he takes lead on. I don't see why this would be any exception and frankly it just screams his style. It's very obvious that his hands are all over this.

As far as the engine goes there seem to indications that this uses the same engine as Demon's Souls. Mostly due to the character movement, animations and sound effects from the demo. Looking at the video it definitely looks closer to Demon's Souls than Dark Souls 2 to me as well. We wont know for sure unless they make an official statement though.

Amir0x

Banned
I think it'll be a game that is 30fps with frequent drops to 25fps. Seems to be From Software trademark. I bet they held conference with Sony and said they wouldn't be allowed to help with the game unless they had persistent framerate drops, especially whenever some flying beastie soars overhead. And also inexplicably when a few too many horrific stone toad beasts jump on your face.

there's gonna be that trademark valley of defilement/blighttown that's gonna fuck up the framerate, wouldn't be a fromsoftware console game without it

RexNovis

Banned
I think it'll be a game that is 30fps with frequent drops to 25fps. Seems to be From Software trademark. I bet they held conference with Sony and said they wouldn't be allowed to help with the game unless they had persistent framerate drops, especially whenever some flying beastie soars overhead. And also inexplicably when a few too many horrific stone toad beasts jump on your face.

LOL

h4zwmmbwvpc0.jpg

Molemitts

Don't forget, rolling into a load of barrels! No way the framerate will survive that.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I think it'll be a game that is 30fps with frequent drops to 25fps.
This. Seems as accurate as predicting that the sun will rise, haha. :) And I'm kinda okay with that. Would I prefer stable 30 (or even 60) FPS? Sure. But I did okay in all the previous games on consoles so I know it won't detract from my enjoyment.

Amir0x

Banned
Don't forget, rolling into a load of barrels! No way the framerate will survive that.

Oh dear God... not the barrels... why did you have to remind me of the fuggin' barrels!?

This. Seems as accurate as predicting that the sun will rise, haha. :) And I'm kinda okay with that. Would I prefer stable 30 (or even 60) FPS? Sure. But I did okay in all the previous games on consoles so I know it won't detract from my enjoyment.

I hope it's at least slightly more stable than Dark Souls tended to be (haven't played DSII yet, how is the framerate there on consoles?), but either way the games tend to be so phenomenal I can usually just begrudgingly accept it. Usually I do dock a point from it if it's severe enough, bringing it to a 9.0 or something. Still some of my all-time favorite games.

Hypron

I am going to a local videogame conference in about a month's time. I really hope they will have a bloodborne demo there. I need to get my hands on the game.

I hope it's at least slightly more stable than Dark Souls tended to be (haven't played DSII yet, how is the framerate there on consoles?), but either way the games tend to be so phenomenal I can usually just begrudgingly accept it. Usually I do dock a point from it if it's severe enough, bringing it to a 9.0 or something. Still some of my all-time favorite games.

The framerate is unlocked, so it varies a bit throughout the game. It's never gets as bad as Dark Soul 1's in places like Blighttown and New Londo though.

Jsheldon

I think I put in over 70 hours into Demon Souls (never got around to souls games) and as a current XBone owner this may be the game that makes me pull the trigger on a PS4. Kinda wish it was classic sword and shield vs sword & gun but looking forward to it none the less. Nothing on my current system like this and a bit envious its not multiplat :/

Thanks for the suggestions but I don't think I'll have the time for Dark Souls with all the other games coming up.

Don't even worry about it. Bloodborne is about to up the stylish levels through the roof. The Souls series will look like a retirement home by this time next year.

1. Shotgun Parry
2. Swift Dodge
3. Charge weapon transformation strong attack
4. ???
5. Profit

Stimpack

"Like, yeah, there were more potions than you'd expect"

Can someone explain this quote to me? I had so much grass is Demon's Souls and Life gems in Dark Souls II, it was ridiculous. I don't know what kind of expectations someone would have in terms of healing items in a Souls game.

Is there anything preventing this demo from eventually reaching the home-users' hands?

This particular demo is unlikely because it's so far out from the actual release of the game. If there is a demo then i'd expect it to be much closer to the release of the game and based on final or near final code. Given how visuals of games have been picked apart this gen, I doubt Sony would want to put it out there in this early state.

So when he pulled off that finishing move it looks like the character pulled out a different weapon. Seems like some sort of small dagger or something. Either way that looked very exciting. I just hope from balances the Blood Vial along with the Regain system.

Persona7

Banned
It doesnt look like whatever engine they used in Dark Souls 2 is being used for this one. Things look alot closer to what was in Demons/Dark1. Good thing IMO.

Also that footage looks great. No one is talking about the amount of Locked Doors! In that one video I saw maybe 5 different directions you could go, or arrive from the other side on. I'm so excited to have that sprawling interconnected world design back again!

It is hard to tell because all these games look similar despite using a different engine. I wonder if they are really using two or more different engines. Hopefully they will release some technical information sometime before it comes out.

I really want to see more of the areas outside the city like in the leaked trailer and the place that looks like a barn, I like those areas the best so far visually.

Is it just me or do those benches with orange seats in the demo look out of place like they are used for something outside of just being world props?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
where is the

YOU DIED

?!?!

looks great

Seeing as this isn't "Souls", they'll probably have something different. Or nothing at all.

FPS question:

Bloodborne is currently my most anticipated game. Complaints of FPS issues have me a little worried, though, as sub-30 and not locked could be brutal for a game designed around aggressive play and "no room for mistakes". Knowing NOTHING about game development, can FPS be fixed (improved?) in 6-7 months without sacrificing other things (Resolution, IQ, lighting, etc.)??

It can be saved, but devs need to be careful if they don't want to sacrifice anything major. If artists take measures to save resources early on, then great, not much optimising to be done. But if all asset production is complete and only the programmers are left to optimise, that's when you start seeing big cutbacks. They will reduce poly count, texture resolution, etc. to get the desired FPS, without taking the art into account.

Depends how far along they are exactly in terms of content completion, but as others have said - in the case of Demon's - it can be fixed in that amount of time. It could be tough, and they have the risk of over-estimating new hardware, but it's not impossible.

Top Bottom