• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodstained for Wii U cancelled in favor of Switch

Vitacat

wait, i forget - we picked our console of choice for the KS, didn't we? kinda wish i could go switch version over PS4

You can change it easily. Just find your original email from Fangamer where it has a link to the survey. Then click on the survey questions link and you can change your system choice.

I have so many questions about this.

Who will be developing the Switch version? Will it be in-house or will it be outsourced like the Wii U & Vita versions?

Will the Switch version release at the same time as PS4? What sort of differences will there be between the versions?

I'm assuming there aren't answers to these questions yet, but I'll need to know before changing platforms.

The assumption would be it will be done in house by iga and init creates and will release simultaneously as the switch supports UE4.

Skyzard

Banned
Yeah I'm not all that confident with a Vita version either if they're using UE4 for it...

It's 2D right? :S

Probably just trying to minimise potential refunds at once.

13ruce

Banned
Ah you can already change it, changed mine to physical switch and digital ps4. Will back more money later for the hardcover art book.

Currently at alchemist treasure tier.

Vitacat

2.5D. It already didn't look good visually when I played the alpha on PC, can't imagine what it would be on Vita.

Didn't look good? It's 2.5D Castlevania. For an alpha I thought it looked great.

But yeah, Vita might struggle a bit, which is another reason why I switched the Vita version to Switch (no pun intended).

Didn't look good? It's 2.5D Castlevania. For an alpha I thought it looked great.

But yeah, Vita might struggle a bit, which is another reason why I switched the Vita version to Switch (no pun intended).

Might struggle a bit is light. It ran at sub 10fps on my GPD Win. Sure, that was an alpha and optimization has yet to be done. But I wouldn't count on it happening.

IrishNinja

You can change it easily. Just find your original email from Fangamer where it has a link to the survey. Then click on the survey questions link and you can change your system choice.

The survey on fangamer you used to fill out which version you want is something you can still go back to. Find that email, and you can use that link in order to change your version. I just did that myself.

cool, doing this today - thanks guys!

wrowa

It's gonna be a catastrophe if it ever finds its way to Vita. UE4 is just not designed to run on the hardware and whatever miracle Armature is trying to pull off is unlikely to change that.

Foffy

Banned
The fear of Cemu is real haha

I doubt it. IGA was outsourcing the Wii U version.

I think the only thing related to this series that could sell worse than a Wii U version of Bloodstained is the 3DS prequel game, as every platform getting the main game is also getting that prequel game, but 3DS isn't

I am imagining that prequel game getting cancelled for 3DS and moved over to Switch if that doesn't release this year.

Expected news (should have been done months ago).

Now if only the game actual came out before 2019, that would be great.
/s, but not really

Vita being more viable than Wii U is just too good.

It's not about viability, Iga -politely- stated this is Nintendo's fault (Nintendo doesn't want new Wii U games).
This is good for me, but I'm sorry for the people who don't have any other platform to get the game on (which would be perhaps 1% of the backers?).

HardRojo

I'm not sure how widespread this sentiment is, but honestly when I was playing Shovel Knight this weekend I found myself preferring the JoyCon D-Pad buttons to the actual D-Pad of the Pro Controller. I'm not saying it's universally better -- I can certainly imagine that something like a 2D fighting game would be terrible with the JoyCon buttons -- but in this case I thought it was perfectly usable.
Oh, well honestly I still would need to try both controllers, as I haven't had the chance yet. I was merely going off impressions by what I've seen, and I imagined an actual D pad would be better than the buttons.

It's not about viability, Iga -politely- stated this is Nintendo's fault (Nintendo doesn't want new Wii U games).
This is good for me, but I'm sorry for the people who don't have any other platform to get the game on (which would be perhaps 1% of the backers?).

And that doesn't make it more viable on Vita, that the platform holder there doesn't mind new games? :p

Skyzard

Banned
Oh, well honestly I still would need to try both controllers, as I haven't had the chance yet. I was merely going off impressions by what I've seen, and I imagined an actual D pad would be better than the buttons.

I also preferred the joycon buttons to the switch pro controller d-pad which is very stiff. Apparently some people are getting not so stiff pro controllers though.

I'm sure for some people out there. Further, like I said I think there are some use cases where the buttons probably suck. I'm just suggesting that -- if you haven't tried the controller already -- you might find yourself surprised by how well the current Joy Con d-pad buttons work.

yyr

If the Vita version actually comes out, I'll buy it to support them. I really enjoyed the portable Castlevania titles, and have no plans to buy Switch until it gets some more games (and tbh it's not as portable as I'd like, anyway).

But yeah, this decision was pretty much a no-brainer.

The Wii U is no less popular today than it was then.

I'm...pretty sure that statement is incorrect. I'll continue to enjoy the games I have on mine (including Zelda), but really, its time has passed.

It was a logical outcome that was expected. Still a shame for those on the wii u but at least they're handling it right offering a refund or alternative platform.

Thoraxes

Knew it was inevitable, still disappointed because of how much I love the second screen being a map for a Castlevania game. Having come to terms a little better than my previous stance on it, as long as the Switch version is physical, I'm fine with that.

BiggNife

Who will be developing the Switch version? Will it be in-house or will it be outsourced like the Wii U & Vita versions?

Will the Switch version release at the same time as PS4? What sort of differences will there be between the versions?

I'm assuming there aren't answers to these questions yet, but I'll need to know before changing platforms.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be in house. Inti has already developed for the Switch with Blaster Master Zero, and it sounds like porting UE4 games to the Switch actually isn't all that difficult considering the Snake Pass team was able to do it in something like 3 months.

This my definitive edition right here. Getting it for PS4, but I'll mainly be playing it on the Switch. Now the decision is: which of the two will be my physical/digital copies. Chances are the digital copy will come in an email, which means the probability of playing that copy first is higher than the physical one, which needs to be shipped.

Decisions.

antibolo

Banned

Well, the Switch is supported by UE4, so one can assume they won't need to outsource the Switch port, and that it won't release later.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure for some people out there. Further, like I said I think there are some use cases where the buttons probably suck. I'm just suggesting that -- if you haven't tried the controller already -- you might find yourself surprised by how well the current Joy Con d-pad buttons work.

I don't mind the buttons the little I've tried to play with them. The placement is very uncomfortable to me though, especially in handheld mode. Sure others are fine with it though. Even a joy con with a dpad wouldn't help me if it's in the same place so I'll just not buy anything I need a dpad for and don't want to play on TV with my pro controller. Which would probably be most things as I rarely feel like playing 2D games when I sit down at my TV. :(

Astral Dog

Vita being more viable than Wii U is just too good.
the Switch already replaced the Wii U after all.people that liked the Wii U will buy a Switch by the time this game releases.

Hardware wise Switch is Wii U + more functionality,similar games.

mhayes86

I'm not surprised. Once Playtonic did the same for Yooka-Laylee, I was half expecting any other Kickstarter with the Wii U in mind to drop it for the Switch.

Top Bottom