• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodstained for Wii U cancelled in favor of Switch

Giolon

The assumption would be it will be done in house by iga and init creates and will release simultaneously as the switch supports UE4.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be in house. Inti has already developed for the Switch with Blaster Master Zero, and it sounds like porting UE4 games to the Switch actually isn't all that difficult considering the Snake Pass team was able to do it in something like 3 months.

Well, the Switch is supported by UE4, so one can assume they won't need to outsource the Switch port, and that it won't release later.

Well, Yooka-Laylee's Switch version is delayed compared to the other platforms, though that may have to do with the release being much closer than Bloodstained. Also, the massive downgrade in visuals of Dragon Quest Heroes on Switch compared to the PS4 version has me worried about parity in what should otherwise be a relatively graphically simple game.

As much as I'd love to do as much of my console gaming on the Switch as possible for the flexibility, I'm worried about compromises. We just won't know until we know.

Cuburt

I feel bad for people that wanted it for the Wii U but I'm so glad this is coming to the Switch. It just so perfect on the platform, 2D IGA Castlevania(ish) game on the go and on TV.

Sargon

I am requesting a refund, not because I don't want the game, but because I pledged at a physical tier for Wii U and am going all-digital on the Switch. If they let me downgrade my pledge to digital and refund me the difference, that will work too.

Well, Yooka-Laylee's Switch version is delayed compared to the other platforms, though that may have to do with the release being much closer than Bloodstained. Also, the massive downgrade in visuals of Dragon Quest Heroes on Switch compared to the PS4 version has me worried about parity in what should otherwise be a relatively graphically simple game.

As much as I'd love to do as much of my console gaming on the Switch as possible for the flexibility, I'm worried about compromises. We just won't know until we know.

Given that even graphically simple, top-down 3D Unity games on Switch are 30fps (Setsuna, Bomberman, Mr. Shifty), I think you're right to be worried about Yooka-Laylee's performance until and unless Playtonic proves otherwise.

As much as I'd love to do as much of my console gaming on the Switch as possible for the flexibility, I'm worried about compromises.

Dragon quest heroes isnt a UE4 game, Snake Pass would be a better game to use to compare

Theosmeo

hoped it wouldnt happen here too but rip me

I fall into that catagory, kinda wish i didnt back now, it was like 30 for the game :(

BiggNife

DQ was unquestionably rushed for launch so I don't really think that's a fair comparison.

And in the case of YL, it sounds like playtonic might not even have Switch devkits yet. We already know Inti has them because they made Blaster Master Zero.

I wouldn't be worried. Look up Switch footage of Snake Pass. It looks nearly identical to the PS4/XBO versions, and it's a UE4 game.

Vitacat

Depends on how you view Switch games:

(A) If you think of them as console only, then yeah, you'll generally get better visuals with other console versions.

(B) If you think of them as portable only, then they're the best around.

(C) If you think of them as both console and portable in one, then they're unique and possibly worth the graphical downgrade in exchange for versatility.

For me, it's C. I'll take less flashy visuals for versatility. I'm not much of a graphics person. Art direction, I love, but a lot of the graphical stuff that some people gripe about I don't even notice.

Cleve

You know, this is second Nintendo-focused kickstarter giving Wii U backers the finger. I gotta wonder what percentage was made up of Wii U pledges.

Nintendo focused? yeahokay.gif Wii U was a stretch goal announced well after the game was funded. The most widely reknowned igavania is still SotN no matter how you want to slice it.

I'll be happy to change my ps4 $150 tier to switch.

Like the Yooka-Laylee kickstarter, seemed like it was going after Nintendo nostalgia. Iga's metroidvania games have been been Nintendo-exclusive for two decades after all.

I don't think it was a terrible idea at all, bet it got them a decent amount of pledges they would've otherwise not gotten. People that kickstart shit can fall a bit on the fanatical side so they'll probably see very little pushback from this decision. Win-win for them.

Yeah? And it made three million more after that bit.

Are you suggesting the WiiU was the reason the game went from $3 million to $5.5? Are you honestly suggesting that?

maks

Well, the Switch is supported by UE4, so one can assume they won't need to outsource the Switch port, and that it won't release later.

Supporting switch isn't free of effort. If they are handling it themselves then either all platforms get delayed by some amount of time or switch gets released later. Since they dont share the project plan we really wont know where this cost is incurred. Outsourcing this effort is still viable. Lets hope they clarify.

This isn't as baffling as Yooka Laylee canceling the lead version of their game but considering that one of the goals was to do a Wii U and Vita version, I would assume that one would low key get cancelled like Mighty No 9 for portable consoles. Like if your not-UE4 version of the game implies releasing it for the Vita might as well put it out on Wii U too

CamHostage

The Vita is still kicking.

Right, continuing to "support" Vita (please, please, please don't cancel...) is a good PR move for Iga's team. Nintendo fans switched to Switch easily and seem to have little qualms about the Wii U being dropped, but Vita fans are still a vocal and rabid group (even though it's hard to say how much buying power they'll have a whole year from now, even today it's a question.)

It's also smart for Sony's 3rd Party Relations team to do what it can for Bloodstained and the Vita plans, since there's still ugliness over Sony's 1st Party drop. They've sadly checked out on the platform even further since the second-wind days of Borderlands and Banner Saga and such, but if the plans still hold and Sony can ensure it provides support as needed, they can call this a win.

Plugged in on life support maybe
I doubt it's really that much harder - sure, it's less powerful, but UE3 was poorly optimized on both platforms even with official support from Epic. I'd be impressed if Armature managed to achieve anything more than "ugly with frequent drops to ~20fps" on either platform.

So, the reason it was never done before is because timing and economics never worked out. (Sony put all of its Vita life support hopes on Unity instead of Unreal, and Epic never gave the system a second look for UE4 viability even when Vita was an emerging platform.) When Vita was coming up, UE3 was good enough (even that support was not wholehearted, and studios like Armature and Iron Galaxy had to do a lot to get their UE3 projects to even the criticized levels they achieved on Vita) and UE4 was still burgeoning (and using Global Illumination), and then Vita dropped out before there was ever even a thought of talking about what would happen if even the mobile framework of UE4 was tried on Vita.

But we talked about this whole thing back when Bloodstained PSV / UE4 Port was first announced, and if I recall right, it may not be as ridiculous as it sounds? Vita is clearly underpowered, but it does use a modern architecture with APIs that are clearly defined. (As I understand it, there's a good deal of similarity in library between Vita and PS3/PS4.) So a lot of the engine porting work would be in translating instructions to how the Vita would naturally handle such a task, rather than writing the tasks for the first time to Vita's understanding. Once you have the working framework, then you see what's doable and isn't, and from there you're doing engine rewrites/optimizations as well as porting the game software (cutting textures, simplifying models, dropping/changing effects, redoing the lighting model, refinements across the board, all that brute work stuff,) and that optimization work is something you'd be doing anyway when porting a game from one platform to another if the job calls for anything but baseline engine performance. Also, if I recall correctly, the engine porting didn't scare programmers as much as the RAM limitations, and what you'd have left over to run your code after porting over UE4 to Vita was the big unanswered question. RAM is a problem with Unity on Vita, and in some ways Unity might struggle even harder with a platform like Vita than UE4 as it handles things differently in ways that can leave developers stranded when juggling memory with unoptimized code/assets later in the development phase.

(*Please jump all over my ass if you are a programmer and see huge holes in my statement, I am not a programmer but I recall these UE4/Vita discussions we had back in 2015.)

Being a good version of Bloodstained, with a framerate and any clear approximation of the graphics and loadtimes that don't put you to sleep and no bugs to crash it every 10 minutes, that's another story, but that'd be a challenge no matter what engine was used in porting this game to this platform.

MTC100

Banned
"During our Kickstarter campaign, the Wii U was at the height of its popularity, but the situation has drastically changed after the release of Nintendo Switch. "

I lol'd... When was the WiiU ever popular?

-That aside, I am very glad to hear that they are concentrating on the Switch now, it's looking more and more as if it's going to be the best place for indies, at least for Consoles.

Junk3t

Neo Member
"During our Kickstarter campaign, the Wii U was at the height of its popularity, but the situation has drastically changed after the release of Nintendo Switch. "

well the quote states the height of "its" popularity, so it's not that the console was popular, but that it was the most popular it would ever be when the kickstarter was in action.

It was certainly popular to announce kickstarters for it

jett

D-Member
Are you suggesting the WiiU was the reason the game went from $3 million to $5.5? Are you honestly suggesting that?

No? But it did obviously contribute. You're trying to make it so that the Nintendo audience was a speck on the kickstarter's success.

Thanks! Funny cause I have Shantae and The Fall, but I had forgotten about them.
And Shovel Knight, a great game I played on XB1... I should have known lol

There's probably a few others too

There's also allegedly still Pop-up dungeon, Hex heroes and 90s arcade racer still coming though who knows if they will (especially the last one)

No? But it did obviously contribute. You're trying to make it so that the Nintendo audience was a speck on the kickstarter's success.

No. I'm saying that the WiiU-only owners were a speck in this Kickstarter when compared to the rest. Many who backed and chose a WiiU owned at least some other viable platform as well.

I understand people are upset the platform they wanted it for is no longer coming, but they can't realistically make a special port for a dead console, that will be even deader by the time this game comes out.

In honesty take a step back and think about how maybe your anger or outrage isn't neccisary or realistic. This is a business, and you don't waste resources on dead hardware.

goldenpp72

Welp just bought a wii-u yesterday. If someone wouldve told me sooner it was gonna die.

Nintendo buying back stock and discontinuing it while everyone called Zelda it's swan song wasn't enough? Or the fact it sold less in its life than most consoles can muster in a year, or that its successor just released 2 weeks ago?

I suppose there were no hints.

-That aside, I am very glad to hear that they are concentrating on the Switch now, it's looking more and more as if it's going to be the best place for indies, at least for Consoles.
They didn't say the Wii U was ever popular. They just said that was the period where it was most popular relative to the rest of the console's lifespan.

Galang

Banned
You can get a refund so I don't see the problem. Smart business decision. Quicker everyone moves on from Wii U the better

Ahasverus

I doubt it. IGA was outsourcing the Wii U version.

I think the only thing related to this series that could sell worse than a Wii U version of Bloodstained is the 3DS prequel game, as every platform getting the main game is also getting that prequel game, but 3DS isn't

I am imagining that prequel game getting cancelled for 3DS and moved over to Switch if that doesn't release this year.
There's a prequel for BS?

Top Bottom