• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodstained for Wii U cancelled in favor of Switch

Man, good on them for already announcing a physical version for Switch. A certain other Kickstarter still hasn't done that.

At this point, any decent-sized publisher should be doing physical releases. If a dumpster fire like Nicalis is able to (and doing surprisingly adequately) other guys have no excuse.

antibolo

Banned
I'm honestly not sure how widespread this sentiment is, but honestly when I was playing Shovel Knight this weekend I found myself preferring the JoyCon D-Pad buttons to the actual D-Pad of the Pro Controller. I'm not saying it's universally better -- I can certainly imagine that something like a 2D fighting game would be terrible with the JoyCon buttons -- but in this case I thought it was perfectly usable.

Yeah I also think the hate towards the joycon directional buttons is overblown. I played Blaster Master Zero and Metal Slug 3 with them, and they worked just fine, felt just as responsive as using a real d-pad.

Gauntlet

Banned
I was a Wii U backer and I don't feel like they're giving me the finger. I would feel a lot worse if they didn't move development to the Switch and just released on Wii U in 2018.

BiggNife

I'm honestly not sure how widespread this sentiment is, but honestly when I was playing Shovel Knight this weekend I found myself preferring the JoyCon D-Pad buttons to the actual D-Pad of the Pro Controller. I'm not saying it's universally better -- I can certainly imagine that something like a 2D fighting game would be terrible with the JoyCon buttons -- but in this case I thought it was perfectly usable.
The joy con d pad buttons are totally fine. The shallowness of the buttons helps. I honestly think the complaints towards it are overblown.

jett

D-Member
In what way was this a Nintendo-focused Kickstarter?

The Wii U version was just a stretch goal.

(As was the Vita version. And both were and are really terrible ideas as I already argued for back then)

Like the Yooka-Laylee kickstarter, seemed like it was going after Nintendo nostalgia. Iga's metroidvania games have been been Nintendo-exclusive for two decades after all.

I don't think it was a terrible idea at all, bet it got them a decent amount of pledges they would've otherwise not gotten. People that kickstart shit can fall a bit on the fanatical side so they'll probably see very little pushback from this decision. Win-win for them.

Probably less than you'd think. The Kickstarter had been unveiled for days (weeks?) by the time the WiiU stretch goal was announced and it had already amassed almost three million dollars worth of support and that was when it was only announced for PC, PS4 and XB1!

I'm sure it helped but it was the reason it was a big success.

Yeah? And it made three million more after that bit.

I feel like the d-pad on the pro controller is so far to the inside of the controller that I find it hard to hold down right without slightly letting off of it or hitting up by mistake causing unintentional diagonal movement.

The Joycon's button d-pad is legit and works great so far.

Somnid

It's win-win, they don't spend hard-earned money on a port that doesn't sell, Nintendo fans (and honestly anyone with a Switch) gets a better version with portability. Even if you think you lost out, they prevented you from buying a version that's stuck to a system that you don't even have hooked up because games dried up months ago.

Eusis

Pretty sure this is Nintendo they are talking about, so Nintendo is letting WiiU rest from any new games, it seems.
Yeah, I almost think this might be thread worthy. Maybe if the developers didn't get as much flack as they were getting, but it's a common scenario and it may highlight that the problem is actually lying more with Nintendo as of late rather than the developers.

Not that I could blame them though. Wii U is long in the tooth, and Switch has actual UE4 support. Hell, if Sony had a Vita successor lined up it'd probably be a good idea on that front too.

Thud

Porting an engine might be a bit of an arse but with a bit of work there's no reason wii u shouldnt have been able to run UE4

It requires support from Nintendo as well.

The same goes for the Vita, the moment either party backs down it gets pulled. However I think it's workable considering it still has a fanbase. The Wii U fanbase is gone next year.

Zackat

waiting for the other shoe to drop with the Vita version.

I imagine there was a big portion of backers that backed solely for the Vita version.

I'll play it wherever so it's nbd for me.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'm not sure how widespread this sentiment is, but honestly when I was playing Shovel Knight this weekend I found myself preferring the JoyCon D-Pad buttons to the actual D-Pad of the Pro Controller. I'm not saying it's universally better -- I can certainly imagine that something like a 2D fighting game would be terrible with the JoyCon buttons -- but in this case I thought it was perfectly usable.
I was surprised how usable it was when I used it

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I almost think this might be thread worthy. Maybe if the developers didn't get as much flack as they were getting, but it's a common scenario and it may highlight that the problem is actually lying more with Nintendo as of late rather than the developers.

Not that I could blame them though. Wii U is long in the tooth, and Switch has actual UE4 support. Hell, if Sony had a Vita successor lined up it'd probably be a good idea on that front too.

It also hapens quite a lot at the end of a system's lifecycle when it has a successor. It's not unique to WiiU or anything. But if the hardware makers (Nintendo in this case) isn't making it easy, what's the point?

Fbh

Makes sense. WiiU is basically dead now and will be even more so in 2018.

Also the game is releasing on basically every current platform and they are offering refunds. So I don't see any issue.

Plugged in on life support maybe

Plus porting UE4 to vita is gonna be a lot harder than it would have been to Wii U

I doubt it's really that much harder - sure, it's less powerful, but UE3 was poorly optimized on both platforms even with official support from Epic. I'd be impressed if Armature managed to achieve anything more than "ugly with frequent drops to ~20fps" on either platform.

Wanderer5

Not surprising. I currently backing up for the PC version, but I might be tempted to check out the Switch version if I get a switch before the deadline.

TreIII

Welp. I went and changed over from PS4 to Switch.

Can't resist the allure of playing a Castletroid on the go, again.

I doubt it's really that much harder - sure, it's less powerful, but UE3 was poorly optimized on both platforms even with official support from Epic. I'd be impressed if Armature managed to achieve anything more than "ugly with frequent drops to ~20fps" on either platform.

I'd be impressed if they bother trying now, porting to just 1 system is probably gonna be relatively more work than if they were doing two

LordKano

It's more like, why would they bother port a whole engine just for one SKU, one of the least popular in top of that ?

It's more like, why would they bother port a whole engine just for one SKU, one of the most popular in top of that ?

It's also because the game is a rather demanding one. I don't see it releasing on Wii U unless they stripped all the visual effects. As for Vita ? I don't see it happening either.

FelipeMGM

Sad for Wii U backers but the right decision in the end. Switch its the perfect machine for it.

Funny enough, today I started playing another game that was funded through KS and had a Wii U version cancelled in favor of Switch. Weird coincidence...

18-Volt

Just changed my backer reward from Vita to Switch.

And seriously they should cancel the Vita port as well. Porting a UE4 game to Vita is just unrealistic, especially now in 2017/2018.

They probably won't port the engine. Instead they'll remake the game from scratch for Vita, porting studio Armature has done this before twice; Mortal Kombat and Injustice games on Vita are not ports, made specifically for the system.

I expect Japan to be more interested on Vita version.

Giolon

I have so many questions about this.

Who will be developing the Switch version? Will it be in-house or will it be outsourced like the Wii U & Vita versions?

Will the Switch version release at the same time as PS4? What sort of differences will there be between the versions?

I'm assuming there aren't answers to these questions yet, but I'll need to know before changing platforms.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'll play it on PC anyway, but I don't think this is particularly alarming, or even disappointing. One would have to have seen this coming.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Hard find a problem with this since they're offering transfers and refunds.

Sucks for people with only a Wii U and no plans to buy another platform, but honestly how many people are in that camp? Can't imagine that even the number of people who'd prefer to keep their order on Wii U vs. moving it to Switch or elsewhere is enough to justify continuing developing and releasing that version.

TreIII

wait, i forget - we picked our console of choice for the KS, didn't we? kinda wish i could go switch version over PS4

The survey on fangamer you used to fill out which version you want is something you can still go back to. Find that email, and you can use that link in order to change your version. I just did that myself.

geeko

Just changed my order to a physical copy for the Switch and a digital copy for Xbox One. This game feels like it will be a perfect fit for the Switch.

DieH@rd

Banned
"During our Kickstarter campaign, the Wii U was at the height of its popularity, but the situation has drastically changed after the release of Nintendo Switch."

ioxnmk9gyjoui2ronh.gif

Top Bottom