• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodstained Porting To The PS Vita Has Started, Switch Version Specs Not Finalized

Would love to see a different artstyle for the Vita version. The current graphics of the game look cheap and generic. I would even say it looks ugly. The same problem I had with Mighty No 9. Unreal Engine doesn't seem to fit for this kind of game. Especially if I'm looking to performance.

It's definitely going to be my preferred version for the game on the go. The Switch is just alright as a handheld the more I use it there.

OmegaDL50

I'm actually curious to see how this version is more than any of the others. Has there been any other UE4 games on Vita?

No. Bloodstained would technically be the first due to Armature porting the engine themselves.

It's not a case which Epic is providing official support and is more of a custom modification provided as-is based on the current UE4 of the main platform versions.

To be honest it sounds like a hackjob, but UE4 being used in the main PC/PS4/XBO platform version and the Vita and at the time the Wii U version not officially supporting UE4 this was going to be the case.

However with the Switch version announcement, only the Vita version remains to be the outlier in this case.

Ridley327

Why first to Vita then to switch?

WHY?
I would assume it would take a lot more work to get the game running on Vita than it would on Switch, as the latter has full support for UE4 right out the box. A Vita version would take a lot longer to get working properly, due to how much they will have to invent in order to make it feasible.

I get the feeling that IGA's answer is an admission that they probably don't have dev kits yet over at Armature, which suggests they are still the ones working on that since IntiCreates already have them with all the Switch games they've put out thus far.

HYDE

Banned
Err that is exactly what is happening.

IGA and his team have said from the very beginning that the PC, PS4 and XBO versions are to be developed in-house and the Vita / Switch (formerly Wii-U) versions were to be outsourced to Armature. See link above.

Good. But the interview makes it sound like they're devoting their resources to a dead platform, instead of focusing on perfecting the base game.

mr_chun

I'd be curious to see the % of backers that selected Vita. I bet it's a higher number than people think and would provide and explanation to the people freaking out about the Vita port being started before Switch.

I selected PS4 when I backed, gonna stick with it.

Wonko_C

I thought the Vita version was going to be an actual conversion using their own engine and not a port?

Ridley327

I thought the Vita version was going to be an actual conversion using their own engine and not a port?

Armature is even going as far as making the UE4 port that they're doing for this available for any other developers to use on Vita once they're done. That was also the plan for the Wii U port, but that's no longer happening as a result of the switch to Switch.

OmegaDL50

I'd be curious to see the % of backers that selected Vita. I bet it's a higher number than people think and would provide and explanation to the people freaking out about the Vita port being started before Switch.

I selected PS4 when I backed, gonna stick with it.

Same here. Despite owning a gaming PC, I also picked the PS4 version just for physical copy. Since I have the Alchemist Treasure tier pledge. I wanted the soundtrack from Yamane, and the cover art drawn by Ayame Kojima.

While the Steam version will probably have advantages in terms of performance, It made no logistical sense to get an physical copy what would be essentially be an empty game case with a steam code. The PS4 version with Kojima's art work was more sensible for me in this case.

Besides I played SOTN on the PSX back in 1997, which was the last time a full fledged Igavania style CV game was released on console (Yes, yes HoD exists but it's more of a multiplayer thing and not full fledged single player experience), it's one of the main reasons why I was hoping Bloodstained would release on the PS4 in 2017 (not going to happen), which would signify being the 10th Anniversary of SOTN and 10 years since IGA did a game of SOTN's style developed for console and not a handheld.

At least I got next year to look forward to.

So much for Vita version being cancelled, as some on here were adamant was going to happen.

Looks like the talk has now turned to apparent bitterness over... the long promised Vita version being worked on before the recently announced Switch version? Not a good look for some of you.

You know, officially, Mighty n9 is still coming to 3DS and Vita.
Basically: Dont expect much from kickstarters promising games on niche platforms which are lagging behind in term of middleware support.

3DS is a niche platform?

No, but it's lagging FAR behind in term of technology.
Basically: UE3 downport on 3DS ? Never happening
UE4 downport on Vita ? Doubtful it's happening.

I should've said old/dead/on their way out platforms. Niche was more like "not many people going to play it in 2018/2019".

The point is: It's not because something isnt officially cancelled that it's still coming.

What do people think of the game so far? It looks like a pretty spot on recreation of the DS castlevania games, but I've heard people are wary of it? Can't see why. From the menus, to the monsters, to the weapons, to the gameplay, it looks so similar.

Also, I think they would be smarter to get the Switch version out first. That's where his fan base is at, in the west.
This game's foundation is Symphony of the Night. It spawned a genre that's still popular today. And that was on PS1 don't forget. Saying most of the fanbase is on Switch (a platform that was only added a year and a half after the Kickstarter ended) is loosing the forest from the trees. And if you wanna talk WiiU remember this game had already earned $3 million before we hit the WiiU stretch goal. That console was literally an afterthought as well as the Vita.

I'm sorry to say but yes, there are a lot of Iga fans on Nintendo consoles but they weren't the main reason why this Kickstarter was a success. Not even close.

So no. I don't think releasing the game first one Switch would be a smart idea at all.

Fiendcode

This game's foundation is Symphony of the Night. It spawned a genre that's still popular today. And that was on PS1 don't forget. Saying most of the fanbase is on Switch (a platform that was only added a year and a half after the Kickstarter ended) is loosing the forest from the trees. And if you wanna talk WiiU remember this game had already earned $2 million before we hit the WiiU stretch goal. That console was literally an afterthought as well as the Vita.

I'm sorry to say but yes, there are a lot of Iga fans on Nintendo consoles but they weren't the main reason why this Kickstarter was a success. Not even close.
Vita isn't exactly PS1 though in terms of audience. And if you're going to point to history, Nintendo got 6 Igavanias while PS only got one.

t26

This game's foundation is Symphony of the Night. It spawned a genre that's still popular today. And that was on PS1 don't forget. Saying most of the fanbase is on Switch (a platform that was only added a year and a half after the Kickstarter ended) is loosing the forest from the trees. And if you wanna talk WiiU remember this game had already earned $3 million before we hit the WiiU stretch goal. That console was literally an afterthought as well as the Vita.

Si no. I don't think releasing the game first one Switch would be a smart idea at all.

You are ignoring IGA made 2 GBA and 3 DS Castlevania games.

Astral Dog

Same here. Despite owning a gaming PC, I also picked the PS4 version just for physical copy. Since I have the Alchemist Treasure tier pledge. I wanted the soundtrack from Yamane, and the cover art drawn by Ayame Kojima.

While the Steam version will probably have advantages in terms of performance, It made no logistical sense to get an physical copy what would be essentially be an empty game case with a steam code. The PS4 version with Kojima's art work was more sensible for me in this case.

Besides I played SOTN on the PSX back in 1997, which was the last time a full fledged Igavania style CV game was released on console (Yes, yes HoD exists but it's more of a multiplayer thing and not full fledged single player experience), it's one of the main reasons why I was hoping Bloodstained would release on the PS4 in 2017 (not going to happen), which would signify being the 10th Anniversary of SOTN and 10 years since IGA did a game of SOTN's style developed for console and not a handheld.

At least I got next year to look forward to.
You forgot the 3D ones it wasn't fitting to make 2d games for PS2 anyways

ohlawd

has started porting to Vita
haven't looked at Switch

what a shitstain. this shit's getting bought after a massive discount

Astral Dog

Si no. I don't think releasing the game first one Switch would be a smart idea at all.
True but you also have to admit SoTN isn't the only foundation , Bloodstained looks like a continuation of the DS games as much as Symphony.
They were also willing to port to Wii U of all systems!

Edit: oh you were talking about releasing first on the Switch? :s

Vita isn't exactly PS1 though in terms of audience. And if you're going to point to history, Nintendo got 6 Igavanias while PS only got one.
I'm not debating there aren't fans on Nintendo consoles. I'm just saying that it wasn't because of them that this Kickstarter was a smashing success! The game had been on Kickstarter for a couple of weeks and amassed $2,750,000 by the time they announced the $3 million WiiU stretch goal. And when they canceled that version a year and a half later for a Switch one I was amazed by how little drama there was over it meaning they weren't that many to begin with.

They did the correct decision to support a Nintendo platform and then dropping WiiU for Switch. But launching the Switch version first, like the poster I quoted, is very stupid!

Fiendcode

I'm not debating there aren't fans on Nintendo consoles. I'm just saying that it wasn't because of them that this Kickstarter was a smashing success! The game has been on Kickstarter for a couple of weeks and amassed $2,750,000 by the time they announced the $3 million WiiU stretch goal. And when they canceled that version a year and a half later for a Switch one I was amazed by how little drama there was over it meaning they weren't that many to begin with.

They did the correct decision to support a Nintendo platform and then dropping WiiU for Switch. But launching the Switch version first, like the poster I quoted, is very stupid!
Launching Switch first (and alongside PC/PS4/XB1) wouldn't be stupid because it's going to be viable platform in 2018+ and hits a different and sizable projected audience from those platforms. They're making this game to sell beyond just the 64,000 backers I hope.

Personally I have some doubts the Vita version ever even sees the light of day. Maybe had Armature gone with a custom engine for the port but trying to squeeze UE4 onto the 14GLOPS Vita seems like an exercise in futility.

Vita is still larger than Switch so it makes sense.
Vita won't be by the time Bloodstained launches.

Vita porting starting now makes me more concerned about the game to be honest, since they haven't really discovered any limits yet. Reminds me of Yooka Laylee where Playtonic ended up making something too ambitious and dropping the Wii U version of the game.

As for the Vita version itself, I wish it would be its own version rather than a "port". From a programming standpoint it absolutely is going to be its own version, but I'd love to see it being the equivalent of what GBA games were back in the day: Something different but similar. Even sticking with wholly 2D visuals would be pretty nice.

joe2187

Banned
Praise be to Vita!

count me as one who backed only for the vita version!

if they cancel it, they lose my money.

entremet

It's pretty much cross gen with PS4, so it's not going anywhere for a long time.
This is a state of denial on your part.

I like the Vita and I’m glad developers are keeping their promises, but not going anywhere for a long time is pure delusion.

Are Armature working on the Switch version then?

It otherwise seems a bit of an odd comment given that Inti already have two switch games under their belt.

Hermii

If these assholes up port the Vita version to Switch, they're asking for it to fail hard.
They are going to do whatever is the least work for the best result. My uninformed opinion is that would be to start out with the pc version and tweak the graphics until it looks as good as it can while running acceptable.

Praise be to Vita!

count me as one who backed only for the vita version!

if they cancel it, they lose my money.
I'm curious. Do you really not own either a PS4, XB1, Switch or a gaming Windows, Mac, or Linux PC? You can change your platform at anytime, I'm sure you know that. I don't think they'd cancel Vita but if they did do you really have nowhere else to play this game?

Wereroku

It otherwise seems a bit of an odd comment given that Inti already have two switch games under their belt.
Inti isn't working on the game anymore. They gave it to two other studios. I wouldn't be surprised if they are working on the switch version as well since it is supported by UE4 natively.

Ridley327

I don't see how it could mean anything else, but it might also be possible that IntiCreates is busy enough right now with the main development but will take care of the Switch port once the bulk of development, as they're as seasoned of Switch developers as they come at this point. I think it all comes down to how IGA and Armature negotiated the dropping of the Wii U port, which isn't going to be public knowledge at all.

Hermii

I wouldn't be surprised if they come out at the same time, considering how much harder it probably is to port ue4 to a platform whiteout official support.

jonno394

I wouldn't be surprised if they come out at the same time, considering how much harder it probably is to port ue4 to a platform whiteout official support.

What platforms are you talking about, just Vita? because Switch has Official UE4 support (I believe)

Top Bottom