• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodstained Porting To The PS Vita Has Started, Switch Version Specs Not Finalized

A lot of people (me included) backed this on the promise of a Vita version. I'm glad they're owing up to that.
I wonder how many people asking to prioritize the Switch version (even though it ought to be a much simpler port process) in this thread actually backed this game.

cj_iwakura

This is a state of denial on your part.

I like the Vita and I’m glad developers are keeping their promises, but not going anywhere for a long time is pure delusion.

As long as otomes exist, it will have games coming out for it. I bet you we'll still have Vita games releasing at this time next year, if not a year after.

As long as otomes exist, it will have games coming out for it. I bet you we'll still have Vita games releasing at this time next year, if not a year after.
Otomes? Does the Vita have a large female demographic im not aware of? Because the bulk of Vita games I see from Japan are very much geared towards an otaku male demographic. All those visual novels featuring school girls with big tits is not what an otome game is supposed to be right?

cj_iwakura

Otomes? Does the Vita have a large female demographic im not aware of? Because the bulk of Vita games I see from Japan are very much geared towards an otaku male demographic. All those visual novels featuring school girls with big tits is not what an otome game is supposed to be right?

91qUkOe5QsL.jpg

81uCsMOQboL._SL1274_.jpg

815A2C4VPgL._SL1388_.jpg

718rrHHXf5L._SL1000_.jpg

71ZSTdbLtEL._SL1000_.jpg

81SIEqgcpjL._SL1273_.jpg

812w9TFJh8L._SL1276_.jpg

You were saying?

Just because you don't look at them doesn't mean these games (and their audience) don't exist.

I can't believe the vita version is still happening, though i hope the switch version is just as good as the console versions since it'd be nice to have it on the go.

joe2187

Banned
I'm curious. Do you really not own either a PS4, XB1, Switch or a gaming Windows, Mac, or Linux PC? You can change your platform at anytime, I'm sure you know that. I don't think they'd cancel Vita but if they did do you really have nowhere else to play this game?

For me the Vita is the perfect handheld console, I've played thousands of hours into playing games on the device and would love to either see a successor or continued support. The games are great and varied and I've been a fan since day 1....or day 0 since I was also a big PSP fan back in the day.

And yes, I own a PC, PS4, N3DS (owned an 360, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U) and I have played more on Vita than all of them combined.

I also tend to play most of my PS4 games on Remote Play as well. Persona 5 on remote feels so perfect. I like the PS ecosystem of having all my games digital or otherwise tracked internally across all 3 consoles and cross play and cross save funtionality as well....so while I'm sort of interested in The Switch, the games are very very few and far between as of yet...and I've never really been big into Nintendo games at all. ....and I like trophies.

My Collection.

Edit: That's an old picture and has grown by at least 15 new games.

Cuburt

A lot of people (me included) backed this on the promise of a Vita version. I'm glad they're owing up to that.
I wonder how many people asking to prioritize the Switch version (even though it ought to be a much simpler port process) in this thread actually backed this game.
Lots of people also backed the Wii U which is no longer getting a port. Although many who backed a Wii U version likely are now changing their version of choice to Switch.

For me the Vita is the perfect handheld console, I've played thousands of hours into playing games on the device and would love to either see a successor or continued support. The games are great and varied and I've been a fan since day 1....or day 0 since I was also a big PSP fan back in the day.

And yes, I own a PC, PS4, N3DS (owned an 360, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U) and I have played more on Vita than all of them combined.

I also tend to play most of my PS4 games on Remote Play as well. Persona 5 on remote feels so perfect. I like the PS ecosystem of having all my games digital or otherwise tracked internally across all 3 consoles and cross play and cross save funtionality as well....so while I'm sort of interested in The Switch, the games are very very few and far between as of yet...and I've never really been big into Nintendo games at all. ....and I like trophies.

My Collection.

Edit: That's an old picture and has grown by at least 15 new games.
That's incredible. You'll get Bloodstained on Vita for sure but if they cancel it, which they won't, then I would advice to just get it on os4 and play in remote play then. Either way you'll get to play it on Vita.

LordKano

Is there a single Switch game that is an up-port of a handled version instead of being based on home console games ? Honest question, people often mention that theory, but I don't recall it ever happening.

Holy shit, Nintendo fans saltiest on earth confirmed lol.

Yep, most deluded fan base on the planet.
I'm curious. Do you really not own either a PS4, XB1, Switch or a gaming Windows, Mac, or Linux PC? You can change your platform at anytime, I'm sure you know that. I don't think they'd cancel Vita but if they did do you really have nowhere else to play this game?

I don't support devs who ask for funds based on saying they're going to support their game on a platform which I and others want, and then backing out later. In most cases, that's the Vita version for me, as I specifically want to play some games on the go. If it's cancelled Wii U versions, I don't feel the same way.

Chauzu

As a Switch backer I see nothing alarming about this. Switch port should go a lot smoother than the Vita port.

As a Switch backer I see nothing alarming about this. Switch port should go a lot smoother than the Vita port.
Yeah, nothing to really worry about here. Helps that the Switch has support for UE4 to boot so I wouldn't even be shocked if it came out at the same time as the PS4/XB1 versions, which I'm hoping for because this is the kind of game I'd rather play on a portable system

autoduelist

Why is Vita still getting games left and right wtf it should have been dead years ago

It should have been successful years ago, imo. It's amazing.

No you are not. Vita sales have dropped like a rock this year

While I'm sure hardware sales are dropping, and I'm sure some have 'switched', do we actually have a source that software [especially digital] sales have 'dropped like a rock'? Because I know some of us still buy Vita first and foremost, and it's really hard to tell if an already niche product is 'less' niche unless we have hard numbers.

I didn't kickstart this, so I have no skin in the game. But I -definitely- buy for my vita. I owned lots of games on Steam that I eventually rebought on Vita and finally got around to playing [Risk of Rain, Hotline Miami, Binding of Isaac, plenty more] because I realized that I -never- get around to playing on my PC, whereas I love these games on my vita. And while I have a ps4, I generally play 'big' games on it [gta, bloodborne, tlou, horizon, far cry, doom, wolfie, etc] and generally prefer my smaller games on Vita. [with some exceptions, stuff like Resogun or Android Assault Cactus get the tv treatment].

So... yeah. My point is, if I 'buy' [in this case pledge] for Vita, it means that's what I wanted. A Steam version doesn't do me much good if i know I'm never going to get around to playing it on Steam, whereas I also know if it came to Vita I'd happily plat it, etc.

This pretty much sums me up. I never liked portables. I've owned many, but none ever even got into minimal rotation, let alone became a dominant console for me. Even my PSP sat in a drawer... I don't think I beat a single game on it. I only got a Vita because of a long trip timed with a great Black Friday sale... and bang, it took over. I love that thing. It's just exactly what I want in a gaming experience.

I stand corrected. Somehow all I see is vita games with anime schoolgirl tits on box arts all the time. I must've missed these.

Sometimes we see what we want to see.

Astral Dog

Is there a single Switch game that is an up-port of a handled version instead of being based on home console games ? Honest question, people often mention that theory, but I don't recall it ever happening.
Hmm no because Nintendo seems to be against it, they don't want 3DS graphics on their new baby.

But i imagine there must be something like Monster Hunter out there 🤔

Crocodile

Inti isn't working on the game anymore. They gave it to two other studios. I wouldn't be surprised if they are working on the switch version as well since it is supported by UE4 natively.

No Inticreates is still very much much working on this game - they just got a bunch more help and some things are being outsourced out.

I stand corrected. Somehow all I see is vita games with anime schoolgirl tits on box arts all the time. I must've missed these.

It's a lot less fun to mock Vita owners over otome games than "otaku" games :p

Be wary of skewed perspectives based on what is selectively talked about and presented to you :p

Assholes? Really? Dude calm down you're embarrassing your self.

No I dropped 60 bucks on their kickstarter for a Wii U version, with promises of it done right. That gets cancelled, the game looks really disappointing, specially from the demo last year, and now they're making it sound like they're going to half ass the switch version. I'll call them assholes if I want to. They're just wasting my money. I'm a douche for backing them too, won't make that mistake again. I put my money into this and I'm really disappointed with every direction its gone. I'm not going to blindly have faith that they'll do the Switch version right.

Mael

Currently playing all my DS Igavanias because why not.
Deleted my main save of Ecclesia by error.
This isn't the kind of news I would want to read.
If the game isn't as fluid as Ecclesia, it's going to be a massive stepdown.
If Inticreates is doing the Switch version, it's going to end up as good as it can be.
They've done awesome stuffs even on GBA hardware, if they're not lead by a headless chicken it should turn out right.
Don't think I'll pick it up if the game is even slightly less responsive than Ecclesia, Portrait is barely playable as it is.
Oh yeah and if that Switch port is an afterthought, my purchase will also be of course.
If I want a slow disappointing gothic metroidvania I can still whip up Harmony.

Otome games can have girls with big breasts in them too, it's okay!

But yeah, absolutely. Vita's been the main platform for otome stuff ever since the PSP eventually died. It's almost impossible not to notice how many otome games are on Vita; they've been dominating the system's retail releases in Japan for at least the past three years.

This game's foundation is Symphony of the Night. It spawned a genre that's still popular today. And that was on PS1 don't forget. Saying most of the fanbase is on Switch (a platform that was only added a year and a half after the Kickstarter ended) is loosing the forest from the trees. And if you wanna talk WiiU remember this game had already earned $3 million before we hit the WiiU stretch goal. That console was literally an afterthought as well as the Vita.

I'm sorry to say but yes, there are a lot of Iga fans on Nintendo consoles but they weren't the main reason why this Kickstarter was a success. Not even close.

So no. I don't think releasing the game first one Switch would be a smart idea at all.
I disagree. Castlevania has a huge following on Nintendo platforms, and just because the game met high success before a Nintendo platform was announced, doesn't mean Nintendo fans didn't make up a large portion of the goals. Many people could have assumed a Nintendo platform would be announced or didn't care because they already owned a playstaion/xbox/whatever (me being one of those). Anyway, my point was that there will be a much larger base on the Switch by 2018 than there will be active Vita users by that time, in the west. Not to mention, the Nintendo base will all be on one system, while the Playstation one will be cut between PS4 and Vita. Meanwhile Switch Indies are receiving a lot of attention, and doing very well, judging by the eshop rankings. I just think it would be smarter to prioritize a version on a lively platform, than one that will be all but dead. If they can get both out, that would be better.

Btw, I'll be getting this on PS4, so I don't have an egg in this basket. Just calling it as I see it.

A second update:

http://www.dualshockers.com/bloodstained-ritual-night-interview-koji-igarashi-face-name-genre/

DS: Our readers at DualShockers really love the PS Vita and I know that Armature is the studio working on that version of Bloodstained. Is that version of the game still going to release on time alongside the others?

Iga: What we usually do when we port the game to the Vita is that we make the PC version first and then have that be imported onto the Vita. As far as the timing goes, we are pretty certain – but not positive – that we will be releasing the Vita version alongside the rest of the platforms. When we saw Armature's process of the port we thought it was looking fantastic. We have high hopes for the Vita version.

So Armature are definitely working on it, sounds like a more bespoke version too. Which may be a good thing, lol.

redcrayon

has started porting to Vita
haven't looked at Switch

what a shitstain. this shit's getting bought after a massive discount
Jesus wept, what a ridiculous overreaction. Calling a developer a 'shitstain' because they aren't immediately focusing on the platform you want when managing multiple outsourced versions of a game only being made because of player demand.

If the game is a broken mess at launch, then sure, let the devs know, but this kind of bizarre aggression over a process you barely understand is uncalled for.

VariantX

Why is Vita still getting games left and right wtf it should have been dead years ago

1. There's no successor coming after it.
2. There are still people buying software for it.
3. Japan cools off on older hardware way slower than the west does. PS4's launch barely had any Japanese stuff because of their investment with the PS3.

duckroll

This is why these threads are a pain to read sometimes:

If these assholes up port the Vita version to Switch, they're asking for it to fail hard.

has started porting to Vita
haven't looked at Switch

what a shitstain. this shit's getting bought after a massive discount

Because the 3DS doesn't generally like your standard bargain bin otaku fare but the Vita is the perfect thing for it. :^)

No I dropped 60 bucks on their kickstarter for a Wii U version, with promises of it done right. That gets cancelled, the game looks really disappointing, specially from the demo last year, and now they're making it sound like they're going to half ass the switch version. I'll call them assholes if I want to. They're just wasting my money. I'm a douche for backing them too, won't make that mistake again. I put my money into this and I'm really disappointed with every direction its gone. I'm not going to blindly have faith that they'll do the Switch version right.

Port?
Finish the game, please.

Why first to Vita then to switch?

WHY?

No you are not. Vita sales have dropped like a rock this year

We have started porting to a dead platform, and haven't started on a booming platform...

Makes no sense

Just focus on PS4 and Switch, develop the others after it's released, or give it to a porting house.

KHlover

Banned
Assuming their project management isn't completely shit this shouldn't be an issue. Won't have to port the engine to Switch after all since it is already natively supported.

Ridley327

Assuming their project management isn't completely shit this shouldn't be an issue. Won't have to port the engine to Switch after all since it is already natively supported.

Right, which is why some of the responses in this thread are baffling. Armature isn't exactly new to working on different versions of the same game on the same engine.

Wouldn't it make sense that they are working on the Vita version first given it was announced way before the Switch version was picked up? Also if they have to port UE4 that is gonna require a lot of time where as Switch wont really need it.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
A second update:

http://www.dualshockers.com/bloodstained-ritual-night-interview-koji-igarashi-face-name-genre/

So Armature are definitely working on it, sounds like a more bespoke version too. Which may be a good thing, lol.

I wouldn't get my hopes up on this releasing. Would be cool if they did though.

See above.
There's already way more news about the progress of the Vita version than there ever was about the handheld versions of Mighy Number 9.

Fiendcode

Wouldn't it make sense that they are working on the Vita version first given it was announced way before the Switch version was picked up? Also if they have to port UE4 that is gonna require a lot of time where as Switch wont really need it.
Technically the Switch version is replacing the Wii U version, which was confirmed a week before the Vita version.

Durante

That's one of the flaws of kickstarter. You raise goals for platforms that are popular at the time of the kickstarter, but by the time the game is actually done alot of those platforms are no longer viable and are holding back the platforms that are most important.
That's not a flaw of kickstarter really -- that's a flaw of poor stretch goal planning.

Open the article to check the context. I read it as it will be comparable to the console PC versions, rather than the Vita version which they've started porting and discovered it needs a lot of cutting back.
Anyone who honestly just "discovered" this now rather than the very second they made the stretch goal announcement is incompetent.

JSoup

Banned
This is why these threads are a pain to read sometimes:

I'm not objecting to a Vita port at all. I have a Vita and while I've chosen to get the console version for my backer reward, I'll probably get the Vita version as well at some point.

Shizuka

This may be one of the last big indies to hit the platform, I hope they sell the retail edition outside of Kickstarter as well.

Top Bottom