• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloomberg: Nintendo Market Value Passes Sony on Pokemon Go Frenzy

ajim

I'm a huge pokemon fan, and this game really isn't for me, but I'm glad to see mobile and pokemon showing some amazing success and pay off for Nintendo. It's all quite surreal.

KJRS_1993

I'm still upset about Nintendo's properties being on mobile.

However, please do not dismiss Nintendo's hand in this. If you do, you have to dismiss their hand in Metroid Prime Federation Force and other such things.

Plus, Nintendo are the sole thing behind the GO Plus device.

I may have heard wrong, but I believe Nintendo had zero involvement in the development of the application itself. They merely licensed the use of Pokémon to Niantic.
I didn't really say anything about Metroid Federation Force and I don't know enough about it to.

The GO Plus device looks cheap and crap man.

I don't think it's really about the potential for money for me. I hate gaming on phones so I want Nintendo o keepmaking dedicated handheld hardware, and mediocre games like Go aren't going to change my opinion. Even if it does make obvious financial sense to go in that direction.

It's not just about finances though. (and it's Niantic who are making the money, Nintendo are only making the money from licensing Pokémon. Correct me if I'm wrong on that though). Think more in terms of brand awareness and marketing - more people are talking about Pokémon now after one mobile game than decades of mainline handheld Pokemon games.

I may have heard wrong, but I believe Nintendo had zero involvement in the development of the application itself. They merely licensed the use of Pokémon to Niantic.
I didn't really say anything about Metroid Federation Force and I don't know enough about it to.

The GO Plus device looks cheap and crap man.

It's not just about finances though. (and it's Niantic who are making the money, Nintendo are only making the money from licensing Pokémon. Correct me if I'm wrong on that though). Think more in terms of brand awareness and marketing - more people are talking about Pokémon now after one mobile game than decades of mainline handheld Pokemon games.

Iwata helped spearhead the original idea with Ishihara of the Pokémon Company and Nintendo reps lightly supervised the development, but more DIRECT involvement was between the Pokemon Company and Niantic.

Investment accounting basically implies Nintendo not only gets part of Pokemon Company's share of the profit, but also have their own cut of the revenue as part of investing in Niantic.

kennyamr

Glad for them but beware, that huge amount of capital value supported by just 1 game brings extreme volatility and risk to the shares. It's all good but be very careful of speculators' price bubbles, it could damage the current rating of the stock if something goes wrong, hope not.

What exactly does this game have to do with Nintendo? They don't even have their name on the product. Did they conceive the idea for Pokemon Go, or was this the brainchild of The Pokemon Company? Niantic developed the game, and until recently were part of Alphabet (Google). Does Pokemon Go represent a small part of a larger strategy to go towards mobile gaming with their IPs or is this just something unique to Pokemon?

JoeM86

What exactly does this game have to do with Nintendo? They don't even have their name on the product. Did they conceive the idea for Pokemon Go, or was this the brainchild of The Pokemon Company? Niantic developed the game, and until recently were part of Alphabet (Google). Does Pokemon Go represent a small part of a larger strategy to go towards mobile gaming with their IPs or is this just something unique to Pokemon?

Iwata (Nintendo) and Ishihara (TPC) helped conceive and develop the concept.

Nintendo have financed it like they do many third party developed games of their franchises. Niantic developed.

Nintendo developed the Pokémon GO Plus device.

kiuo

tumblr_n73qr8KozY1rhjl85o10_500.gif

REAl7qp.jpg

samar11

Happy days being a Nintendo fan!

Incredible statistics.

You serious? As a long time Nintendo fan this scares me a bit, I can see them focusing more on mobile more so then consoles going forward after these results and I am not a fan of that at all.

Great. Now wait for the unavoidable decrease (probably still higher than before go) and the return of the Nintendo is doomed articles.

random25

Don't think that will happen, they will be around as long as gaming exists. I think once the frenzy is over their stock price will drop back down to what it was a month ago.

Stocks will surely drop but it will not be as low as it was a month ago. Its fundamentals will surely be stronger since the game is earning well so it will just settle to its real valuation, which is guaranteed to be higher than a month ago, when the financials gets released.

samar11

Stocks will surely drop but it will not be as low as it was a month ago. Its fundamentals will surely be stronger since the game is earning well so it will just settle to its real valuation, which is guaranteed to be higher than a month ago, when the financials gets released.

Yeh, didn't realise how low it was a month ago lol

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
You serious? As a long time Nintendo fan this scares me a bit, I can see them focusing more on mobile more so then consoles going forward after these results and I am not a fan of that at all.

if NX will succeed, they will continue pursuing the dedicated console market.
That's pretty...well, sure. I'd say even obvious.
Their actual success (with GO, but on a way smalle scale also with amiibo for example. Let's see how the Classic Mini will perform) is due exactly to their IP strength. Something that without the dedicated console market wouldn't even exist.
Plus, GO is pretty good in showing, to me, how they intend to develop their App, without shadowing their actual games. I mean, I don't know if many GO players will buy Sun/Moon, but for sure I don't see many Sun/Moon buyers skipping it because of the GO esxperience.
The GO experience is not something that is going to substitute a normal Pokemon game (story, mechanics, and so on), but a sociall app that is spreading the Pokemon brand awarness like never before.

if NX will succeed, they will continue pursuing the dedicated console market.
That's pretty...well, sure. I'd say even obvious.
Their actual success (with GO, but on a way smalle scale also with amiibo for example. Let's see how the Classic Mini will perform) is due exactly to their IP strength. Something that without the dedicated console market wouldn't even exist.
Plus, GO is pretty good in showing, to me, how they intend to develop their App, without shadowing their actual games. I mean, I don't know if many GO players will buy Sun/Moon, but for sure I don't see many Sun/Moon buyers skipping it because of the GO esxperience.
The GO experience is not something that is going to substitute a normal Pokemon game (story, mechanics, and so on), but a sociall app that is spreading the Pokemon brand awarness like never before.

This is very well said.

casiopao

Sign me the hell up for Monster Hunter Go.

How the hell does we capture the monster here? Do we need to buy shock trap, everytime we are going to catch the monster? We also need to get some tranq too....... Capcom see "kaching" moment lol.^_^

Raide

How the hell does we capture the monster here? Do we need to buy shock trap, everytime we are going to catch the monster? We also need to get some tranq too....... Capcom see "kaching" moment lol.^_^

Free version only let's you cook raw or burnt meat. Well Done are cashshop purchases...

Sweep14

The account posted an article about how the game's success doesn't mean much for Nintendo or something.

Now the Sony XDev Europe tweet, that was really salty, where the person literally was like "Invizimals did it first".

And they were right at invizimals being first, but it was not at the right time and not in the right medium.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You know what he means. This is an unprecedented performance from a mobile app and the franchise, and is certainly a fad.
It's not unprecedent for the franchise, the franchise didn't just suddenly grow large this is the same franchise that made as much revenue as star wars did in 2015, the franchise has always been massive, this is just a new profitable venture for the franchise that's given it new life in the same way the new star wars films did.

casiopao

Free version only let's you cook raw or burnt meat. Well Done are cashshop purchases...

Damn Capcom........ The F2P will only allow you to use the supply item. No sharpener can be get from the field at all lol.

And they were right at invizimals being first, but it was not at the right time and not in the right medium.

Umm..... it is not like that feature is exclusive to Invizimals though? I mean many other games also uses AR camera there like Denpamen........anyway what the hell is Invizimal anyway?

Kimawolf

This price spike is just absurd. There are two reasons for the spike:

1) it shows that the value of the Pokemon brand is still extremely high
2) Nintendo will earn a lot of money from Pokemon GO microtransactions

I'm pretty convinced at this point that number 2 is being dramatically overestimated by most investors. The game is actually really poor in terms of depth or gameplay, which I think will kill its ability to last beyond the initial months. The social value of the game - in terms of companies paying money for sponsored locations etc. - will start to stop once everyone and their mother has stopped playing the game due to boredom.
Never underestimate peoples drive to catch/evolve stuff. It feels...
Rewarding to do either which has a lot to do with the rage.

Whilst I agree with you, Nintendo needs to expand and do other things outside of the dedicated console and portable space if you want to seenthe company remains around/relevant in 5 years. They're basically a non entity in the home console market and without knowing what NX is, I think the next portable will have a hard time hitting half of 3DS' numbers.

Umm..... it is not like that feature is exclusive to Invizimals though? I mean many other games also uses AR camera there like Denpamen........anyway what the hell is Invizimal anyway?

Yeah, AR isn't what made Pokémon Go a success on its own - it's mostly the cloud-based mapping and real-time map data that allows the same players to see the same Pokémon in the real world, battle at the same gyms and ultimately share the same experiences.

What's interesting is the senior producer at XDev Europe tweeted about it too.

I'm not really sure what Invizimals did first, since Pokémon Dream Radar was an AR Pokémon game that pre-dated it by a whole year. Did Invizimals Vita have GPS/mobile data functionality with the 3G Vita or something?

random25

UPDATE: Nintendo market value has now risen to $42 billion according to Reuters.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-nintendo-pokemon-stocks-idUSKCN0ZZ01Z

I just read this and holy shit Pokemon is literally boosting Japan's economy lmao.

Shares in First Baking Co (2215.T), a bakery firm with annual sales of 25 billion yen, saw its shares rise 18 percent on Tuesday as the firm sells "Pokemon Bread" among other breads wrapped with character-decorated bags.

On a related note, here's an interesting take on this rise:

"Under my rough estimate, the sales from Pokemon GO and upcoming related gadgets will boost net profits by 50 billion yen. Based on that assumption, Nintendo is traded at 30 times profits, which is not unreasonable," he said.

If these profit estimates are met, then the current spike is legit. We'll still have to see how well the accessory will sell.

True story here. My wife and I walked to the garbage bin in our apartment complex, which is probably a three minute walk tops.

We saw three people on foot playing Pokemon Go. Not only that, we saw a car drive into our complex, had four people in it, everyone (including the driver) was on their phone, swiping.

We also were playing.

Who's the author that wrote in their book to never count Nintendo out? I know this isn't directly going to boost their home console/portable fortunes, but it's going to keep Nintendo relevant.

It'll no doubt drop off like all of the other mobile crazes, but here's to hoping that Nintendo releases some awesome games/systems in the meantime.

True story here. My wife and I walked to the garbage bin in our apartment complex, which is probably a three minute walk tops.

We saw three people on foot playing Pokemon Go. Not only that, we saw a car drive into our complex, had four people in it, everyone (including the driver) was on their phone, swiping.

We also were playing.

Our civilization is doomed.
Doooooomed!

Happy for Nintendo, they needed this.

This is why mobile gaming is not an 'enemy' for traditional gaming. It gives companies even more revenue streams and brand awareness. Even Sony made a mobile division.
If the NX is cheap and has some mobile interaction like with Pokemon Go, it could be really big.

casiopao

Yeah, AR isn't what made Pokémon Go a success on its own - it's mostly the cloud-based mapping and real-time map data that allows the same players to see the same Pokémon in the real world, battle at the same gyms and ultimately share the same experiences.

What's interesting is the senior producer at XDev Europe tweeted about it too.

I'm not really sure what Invizimals did first, since Pokémon Dream Radar was an AR Pokémon game that pre-dated it by a whole year. Did Invizimals Vita have GPS/mobile data functionality with the 3G Vita or something?

Not sure. Never own a Vita here. But i do know Pokemon Dream Radar had been used to catch pokemon before so this is not a unique thing at all.

Top Bottom