• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO 08•05-07•16 - Harley & squad Puddin on the ritz, Nine Lives DOA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prompto

Banned
0Cf6aco.jpg
Lmao

Word of mouth has been pretty good for this movie

The only bad impressions have come from the critics

Not true, from what I've been following. It was a typical frontloaded comic book movie: fans saw it first, got dissappointed and now it falls like it should. People have been more disappointed by SS than BvS.

cj_iwakura

Bad movies failing and good movies succeeding is good for getting more good movies later.

Don't take things personally and realize you might have bad taste in movies. The movies are not just different. It's not just opinion. They have glaring film making flaws.
Oh right, it's my fault for having an opinion. Thanks for setting me straight.

Setsuna

Yeah, cause movies with good WoM drop 70% in their second week. Do you have any evidence for your claim besides hearsay?

Hearsay? Peoplel i know that have seen the movie all enjoyed it is what im saying

And the only references they bring up for bad word of mouth have been from critics

kswiston

It looks like Deadline stuck to their $13M Friday for Suicide Squad so maybe we will get an 80% Fri to Fri drop instead of an 82% drop.

Better legs than BvS!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I love the fanboy apologist spin Deadline is trying to give this:

Or maybe, just maybe, critics don't like the DCEU films cause they're crap?

One of the weirdest things has been seeing a certain segment of DC fans become weirdly hostile toward the Nolan DC films for being better received.

Like, 2/3 of them are in the conversation for best superhero movie ever made.

Don't be mad at critics for not liking the new stuff as much. Be mad at WB for making bad decisions.

DeathyBoy

Banned
One of the weirdest things has been seeing a certain segment of DC fans become weirdly hostile toward the Nolan DC films for being better received.

Like, 2/3 of them are in the conversation for best superhero movie ever made.

Don't be mad at critics for not liking the new stuff as much. Be mad at WB for making bad decisions.

Why would I be mad, I like the DC stuff.

Is it BB/TDK? No. But nothing from the MCU is either. DC and MC can cast these films with all star casts all they want, but good scripts would help. GOTG is upper echelon for example, but it's not going to seriously be in anyone's top fifty list.

It'll still be the biggest film this summer.

How weird is that? Suicide Squad curbstomping Alice, X-Mwn, Star Trek and Bourne at the BO... and still being seen as disappointing bo.

We live in a strange world.

Talking animals don't count. Suicide Squad had Cheetah it'd have seen a billion.
Well, if talking animals don't count, it will still fall short of Civil War since that began the summer movie season.
Or are you wanting to move the goal posts yet again?

kswiston

Well, if talking animals don't count, it will still fall short of Civil War since that began the summer movie season.
Or are you wanting to move the goal posts yet again?

Yup. Suicide Squad is #4 for the summer.

Dory wins domestic. Civil War wins worldwide. Pets will be third in both.

kswiston

I still haven't seen Pets and I blame you all for letting it succeed

Some people like it but I didn't think it was much better than something from Dreamworks' lower tier like Home. They give up on the concept from the first teaser after 20 minutes and the two lead characters are sort of obnoxious. Kids like it though. I guess that means that it did its job.

Some people like it but I didn't think it was much better than something from Dreamworks' lower tier like Home. They give up on the concept from the first teaser after 20 minutes and the two lead characters are sort of obnoxious. Kids like it though. I guess that means that it did its job.

If I ever have kids, I'll probably take a nap during the kids' movies

My sister's kids love Disney shit and watch it way too damn much

BlizzKrut

Banned
"Bad Taste" in movies doesn't exist, a movie can have flaws and you can still like it, that doesn't make your opinion wrong.

kswiston

Central intelligence and Tarzan have the best live action legs of the summer and they are both WB.

It's just the DC stuff

Garlador

"Bad Taste" in movies doesn't exist, a movie can have flaws and you can still like it, that doesn't make your opinion wrong.
No, it just means you have a taste for bad things.

That's okay, but a film can still be bad.

I like certain bad films, but I at least acknowledge they're terrible and like them anyway (the Power Rangers movie was my childhood, dammit. I don't care if it really doesn't hold up!)

Montresor

Well shit. I saw Suicide Squad last night and thought it was mediocre.

I need to find a reviewer that a) loved Batman v Superman and b) hated Suicide Squad. And then stick to that person as my reviewer of choice.

I'm kind of disappointed. I was unreasonably confident that Suicide Squad's low tomato rating was another round of pure bullshit. But I don't know what to think now.

I thought it had some good strengths. The villain characters were fantastic. Loved Joker, Diablo, Hadley, Deadshot, Boomerang and Croc. I loved the quirky on-screen introductory text for the villains at the beginning. I loved the flashbacks throughout most of the story and I really enjoyed the incredible soundtrack.

The plot though was just so terrible and uninteresting. I mostly only liked the movie during a flashback or dream sequence. When the Suicide Squad members' motivations/backstory were fleshed out. But anything to do with Enchantress, her brother or the Midway city adventure was horrible.

BlizzKrut

Banned
No, it just means you have a taste for bad things.

That's okay, but a film can still be bad.

I like certain bad films, but I at least acknowledge they're terrible and like them anyway (the Power Rangers movie was my childhood, dammit. I don't care if it really doesn't hold up!)

Go compare how the critics reacted to the movie and how the general public did, by your comment the majority who've seen this movie has "bad taste".

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The villain characters were fantastic.
Main villain was the worst I've seen in years, and that's after a really promising start at the very beginning of the movie.

Loved Joker,
Didn't do a thing for me.

Diablo, Hadley, Deadshot,
these were good

Boomerang
meh

and Croc.

. . . how?

he was barely a character

He was just behind Katana in the Why Is This Character In The Movie Championships.

Montresor

And Suicide Squad felt fucking impotent. A story with those kind of characters and violence should have been rated R.

There should have been nudity, profanity, and explicit violence in a movie set in such a grim atmosphere and starring such dark characters.

When the first of the Suicide Squad members was "executed" it was such a limp-dick moment. His neck exploded but I saw no aftermath. The characrers were all convinced their implants were a real threat but I was not convinced. I was sick of all the off-screen gore/violence. Scumbag criminal shoots someone in the head and the camera cuts away. Suicide Squad member gets his fucking head exploded and the camera cuts away.

Montresor

Main villain was the worst I've seen in years, and that's after a really promising start at the very beginning of the movie.

Didn't do a thing for me.

these were good

meh

. . . how?

he was barely a character

He was just behind Katana in the Why Is This Character In The Movie Championships.

I'm not including Enchantress there, so my fault for poor wording. I meant I loved the Suicide Squad roster. Enchantress and her tacky brother were horrible villains.

You know what Croc was barely fleshed out but I still enjoyed his presence, mostly because of the few comedic lines he had.

Like, 2/3 of them are in the conversation for best superhero movie ever made..

You see the same thing with star wars prequel defenders bashing the original trilogy, so it doesn't surprise me.

Deadline are DC fanboy apologists?

Whoever wrote that line I quoted sure as hell comes off as one.

Whatever floats the boat.

DONT.ROCK.THE.BOAT.

The boat has capsized at this point.

Garlador

Go compare how the critics reacted to the movie and how the general public did, by your comment the majority who've seen this movie has "bad taste".
Based on what? Imdb reviews?

C'mon, mate. Even Batman & Robin had fans defending it, and that nearly killed the franchise.

Ridley327

With those drops, Jeff Goldstein's PR messaging is going to be wonderful.

I still don't get why they remade Pete's Dragon. Apparent quality of the film aside, the original was a super minor cult hit that most people know about only because the old school version of the Disney Channel played it non-stop, next to The Rescuers. You don't see people clamoring for a remake of The Rescuers!

Harmen

Even Batman & Robin had fans defending it, and that nearly killed the franchise.

Lol, I was a kid back then and the internet was very small, but were people bashing Burton's films to defend Schumacher's work too? Wouldn't surprise me to be honest.

In defense of Schumacher's work, B&R at least had a cool villian. And the bat nipples will forever crack me up, so I thank Shumacher for his work. DCEU is just depressing thus far, save for the internet controversies/memes.

With those drops, Jeff Goldstein's PR messaging is going to be wonderful.

I still don't get why they remade Pete's Dragon. Apparent quality of the film aside, the original was a super minor cult hit that most people know about only because the old school version of the Disney Channel played it non-stop, next to The Rescuers. You don't see people clamoring for a remake of The Rescuers!

new one looks like some shit disney remake of how to train your dragon. it's missing the hippy lsd look of that cartoon integration that the original had.

i will netflix for robert redford tho, oh karl urban is in it too, cool.

Ridley327

Oh, and they ran Bedknobs and Broomsticks a lot, too.

God, could you even imagine them trying to make that film today? The plot of that one feels like someone's spirit quest in which all the spirits are high on peyote, too.

Considering how much I hate it and all the contrived crap in blockbuster cinema it represents?

You're goddamn right.

yeah i even liked BvS (to a certain extent) but Suicide Squad was just trash. i hope they paid will smith a lot for salvaging much of the intro with his charisma.

Lol, I was a kid back then and the internet was very small, but were people bashing Burton's films to defend Schumacher's work too? Wouldn't surprise me to be honest.

In defense of Schumacher's work, B&R at least had a cool villian. And the bat nipples will forever crack me up, so I thank Shumacher for his work. DCEU is just depressing thus far, save for the internet controversies/memes.

N
ice.

kswiston

Suicide Squad's shot at $300M isnt completely dead if it can stabilize next week. There's nothing beyond Ben Hur level of mediocre being released until September 8th, so I would expect everything (Star Trek, Bourne, etc) to have good holds for the next 3 weeks.

Also, I cant really feel sorry for Will Smith since he was already wasting his talents, and Suicide Squad will be the second biggest film of his career after Independence Day.

Suicide Squad's shot at $300M isnt completely dead if it can stabilize next week. There's nothing beyond Ben Hur level of mediocre being released until September 8th, so I would expect everything (Star Trek, Bourne, etc) to have good holds for the next 3 weeks.

Also, I cant really feel sorry for Will Smith since he was already wasting his talents, and Suicide Squad will be the second biggest film of his career after Independence Day.

I completely forgot Ben-Hur existed. I would say it's gonna John Carter, but since its budget is only $100 million and marketing seems to be nonexistent I doubt it will be that catastrophic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom