• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boardwalk Empire - Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoramA

Is that really where he wound up? Rural Chicago? I havent seen the finale or the final episodes of S2 in a really long time. Do Capone and Torrio even know who Van Alden is?
Yes, he ended up in Cicero, IL. Terence Winter hinted strongly at a scenario with Van Alden getting involved with them.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Great op Cornballer! I'm so excited for season 3.

Wow, the show would be completely different with Baldwin playing Nucky. Baldwin is a larger man who can project more physicality than Buscemi. But one of my favorite aspects of Nucky as he's portrayed on the show is how a man so physically unassuming can be the criminal overlord of Atlantic City. He's very cerebral, and he almost feels like an underdog at all times, two qualities that would have been different with Baldwin.

Well said. I think Buscemi was a great, if unconventional, choice to play Nucky. He's not exactly what you'd expect to see (or hear) in a crime boss, which I think actually fits in perfectly with the way the character is written.

Socreges

Banned
Mod in the North!

...unless hes just in a coma or something...
My favourite.

Wow, the show would be completely different with Baldwin playing Nucky. Baldwin is a larger man who can project more physicality than Buscemi. But one of my favorite aspects of Nucky as he's portrayed on the show is how a man so physically unassuming can be the criminal overlord of Atlantic City. He's very cerebral, and he almost feels like an underdog at all times, two qualities that would have been different with Baldwin.
Buscemi is also a better actor.

HBO finally updated their Cast & Crew page for S3. Looks like the opening credits this season will include: Nucky, Margaret, Van Alden, Eli, Kessler, Capone, Rothstein, Lucky Luciano, Chalky, Gillian, Mickey Doyle, Richard Harrow, and Owen Sleater.

HBO finally updated their Cast & Crew page for S3. Looks like the opening credits this season will include: Nucky, Margaret, Van Alden, Eli, Kessler, Capone, Rothstein, Lucky Luciano, Chalky, Gillian, Mickey Doyle, Richard Harrow, and Owen Sleater.

I wondered if Owen would make the cut this year. Seems like he could be pretty important going forward. Was kind of hoping we'd get Lansky in there too, but I'm sure he'll be around plenty anyway.

Finishing my S2 rewatch tonight with "To the Lost"

Mh1X7.png

:(

UrbanRats

Watched Season 1&2 very recently (finished last month) so i'm ready.
Didn't captivate me as other shows did (Deadwood, Breaking Bad etc) but season 2 was very good anyway.
Still pissed about
Jimmy though.. yeah, #teamjimmy and all that, it was an amazing twist and the right decision, but i still want to kick Nucky in the nuts.
Unfortunately, the characters of the Show that are guaranteed to be with us till the end (Nucky and Margaret) are the two relevant characters i probably hate the most.

I still remember the fade to white transition into the curtain's of Nucky's place perfectly.
That whole sequence (and the finale in general) are great. Such a showpiece for Jimmy, and it's heartbreaking that when he finally gets his head straight it's being done just to settle his affairs before his execution. Esther Randolph reading her opening argument mixed with Margaret's confession over the montage is fantastic, too.

Mr_Moogle

Nope. Not even close. Season 3 takes place in 1923. This is one year before Capone's boss Torrio goes war with Irish O'Bannion. This is way before Capone even started his own outfit.

This is good. I like the fact they aren't skipping ahead. We don't need another show with rushed pacing like what happened with Rome S2.

Kak.efes

The second season of this show was the best thing on television last year, and there isn't a lack of great shit to watch nowadays, so that's saying something.

Leunam

Isn't that usually how it goes with most shows that have kids? Something about how long a child can be on the set.

JoeBoy101

QwgqF.jpg

Is there a bigger version of this floating around, because its utterly fantastic and would love to have it as a wallpaper.

Also, I'm a dedicated member of Team Harrow.

main.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QwgqF.jpg[IMG]

Is there a bigger version of this floating around, because its utterly fantastic and would love to have it as a wallpaper.[/QUOTE]That's the biggest version I've seen. I think it's available for purchase [url=http://thebottleneckgallery.com/?s=boardwalk]here[/url], though it's rather expensive. It's called "On the Rocks".

Andrew.

Banned
Can someone clairfy to me if S3 is making a jump in the timeline? I couldve sworn I read something saying that it begins a couple years after S2 ended...

8yVKn.jpg

I didn't know all of the kids were being played by twins.

Jimmy looks pissed. edit: so does Eli.

I've been doing a rewatch of season 2 on bluray and listening to the commentaries and whenever one of the kids is on screen one of the commentators just about always says, "I can't tell which one that is, but whatever they're all good."

Can someone clairfy to me if S3 is making a jump in the timeline? I couldve sworn I read something saying that it begins a couple years after S2 ended...
Here are the details:
Terence Winter said:
We’re thinking about 16 months and starting the [third] season around the beginning of 1923, then maybe run through the end of 1923. It was an exciting year. All the people who stockpiled liquor started to run out, so competition between bootleggers became really fierce.

Andrew.

Banned
Cool thanks. Im wondering if then
the first couple episodes will be mostly flashbacks of the past year and a half?

Cool thanks. Im wondering if then
the first couple episodes will be mostly flashbacks of the past year and a half?
I think they're diving right into it. Supposedly the first episode is New Year's Eve 1922 heading into 1923. They're not very big on flashbacks and expect you to catch up as the episode progresses.

Dabanton

The death of Jimmy was hard, as I did like his character but there was no way other than him fleeing the city where he could have lived after what he did.

Glad to see a show stick to it's convictions and not chicken out just because a character is well loved by the viewers.

More Michael Shannon. Most interesting character and unstable on the show. Very underrated and his character took a major backseat last season.

I wonder if the show will cover
Rothsteins IRL death. I think he dies in 1925? Its very cool watching this as a time piece.
Will be interesting to see how they handle some of that sort of thing.

Can you put some spoiler tags on that, please? A lot of us don't know the particulars for a number of historical events. Nitpicking, I know, but I think some people would appreciate it. Thanks.

I wonder if the show
will cover Rothsteins IRL death. I think he dies in 1925? Its very cool watching this as a time piece.

Actually 1928 so it's a ways off, if it ever even gets there. That's also about the time (maybe a year or two off) Luciano and Lansky begit to take over, so I do hope they get there.

I really don't understand the backlash or hesitance about killing Jimmy, by certain parts of the season it was inevitable. He tried to dethrone and kill the king, and paid for it. It's also perfect in the way it sets up Nucky's transformation and evolution, as he's really killing the past and moving forward.

Unfortunately, the characters of the Show that are guaranteed to be with us till the end (Nucky and Margaret) are the two relevant characters i probably hate the most.
(Nucky and Margaret) are the two relevant characters i probably hate the most
(Nucky and Margaret) are the two relevant characters i probably hate the most

UjJGM.jpg

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Nope. Not even close. Season 3 takes place in 1923. This is one year before Capone's boss Torrio goes war with Irish O'Bannion. This is way before Capone even started his own outfit.

I think they're introducing O'Bannion this year. Will probably see some Torrio/O'Bannion feuding

DarkKyo

I should rewatch the last episode of season 2 before the start of season 3 but man that last episode just really disturbs me still...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom