• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boardwalk Empire - Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I should rewatch the last episode before the start of season 3 but man that last episode just really disturbs me still...
The last two from S2 are tough to watch, but they're both great episodes. I'd highly recommend a rewatch if you have time before Sunday.

Will be interesting to see how they handle some of that sort of thing.

Can you put some spoiler tags on that, please? A lot of us don't know the particulars for a number of historical events. Nitpicking, I know, but I think some people would appreciate it. Thanks.

I don't know how to. I didn't think it was too spoilery since this show is based on real events. Sorry if I offended anyone with that post.

The last two from S2 are tough to watch, but they're both great episodes. I'd highly recommend a rewatch if you have time before Sunday.
Just did a rewatch, and I think it's the second to last episode, but Nucky's warning to Margaret about testifying REALLY sets up the finale. The whole season became twenty times better in my opinion watching it from the beginning, knowing what was coming. There is a lot of foreshadowing and deliberate moments given to Nucky's evolution.

I was amazed how well it's put together once you know the pieces.

I still gotta wonder on what year the series will end. My guess it ends in the 1930's or Great Depression era than goes through a montage on what happened to the characters during the years.

I still gotta wonder on what year the series will end. My guess it ends in the 1930's or Great Depression era than goes through a montage on what happened to the characters during the years.
My guess is a Godfather Part 2 ending with Michael, er, Nucky alone in darkness.

Personally I'm hoping we get three or four more good seasons out of Boardwalk Empire, a brief respite, then a new series with some returning cast members, focusing on
Luciano
's rise to power. Maybe start in 1929 so you can set it up with the
St. Valentine's Day Massacre.

They can't get us to the 1930s in Boardwalk without a major time jump (which is possible). Too many seasons otherwise.

I don't know how to. I didn't think it was too spoilery since this show is based on real events. Sorry if I offended anyone with that post.
It wasn't that big of a deal, so don't sweat it. Most of the historical stuff doesn't seem too spoilery unless we're getting into "this character specifically dies in this situation in this year" sort of thing, and that probably merits some tags.

For future reference, to use spoiler tags:

[ spoiler]Put spoilers here[ /spoiler]

Just take the spaces out and it'll work.

Linius

So looking forward to this. If I can manage I'll rewatch the last two or three episodes from season two to get in the vibe. Also just saw Miller's Crossing in which Buscemi has a small part, perfect younger version of Nucky :p

Those George Remus / Al Capone gifs in the OP are great btw, loved that scene :p

- Sneak peek clip from the premiere (youtube, please spoiler tag any discussion)

Also, Owen Sleater and Richard Harrow at the US Open last night:
T9vPt.jpg

Andrew.

Banned
Owen looks so much smaller in person. I really want to see one brutal battle between those two. And as a straight man, I must say Jack Huston is one unusually good lookin dude. But then again, look who his aunt is. So cool to see them hanging out together too.

I gotta watch that scene with Capone and Remus again. Which episode is that?

megamerican

I really don't understand the backlash or hesitance about killing Jimmy, by certain parts of the season it was inevitable. He tried to dethrone and kill the king, and paid for it. It's also perfect in the way it sets up Nucky's transformation and evolution, as he's really killing the past and moving forward.

I still think they blew their wad way too early. In hindsight everyone says it was inevitable but people were melting down when it actually happened. It was the most interesting dynamic of the show and there were way too many rumors and stories circulating that suggest there was more to it than story reasons.

megamerican

Yeah like Pitt being a bastard and being difficult to work with.

I know, I remember reading on Deadline (although it may have been deleted) that he also a severe alcoholic. In fact there seemed to be a pretty big smear campaign against Pitt right around the time he was killed off.

Socreges

Banned
I still think they blew their wad way too early. In hindsight everyone says it was inevitable but people were melting down when it actually happened. It was the most interesting dynamic of the show and there were way too many rumors and stories circulating that suggest there was more to it than story reasons.
I think most of us immediately agreed it was inevitable. There was just a vocal minority that melted down.

Jimmy really only emerged as a centerpiece character that drives the plot forward in the second season, remember. And at that same time, from the beginning of that point, they were planting the seeds for his demise. I don't think it makes sense to suggest that they actually changed plans mid-season to write him out of the show. It all fit together, didn't it? The foreshadowing was all there, all season long. What rubs some people the wrong way is that he was a fascinating character that you could sympathize with (fish out of water) and shows rarely kill such people off.

Bonus Remus:

kPStQ.gif
f1Xug.gif

bKin9.gif
lFhdP.gif

RV15m.gif
UZcfh.gif

I know, I remember reading on Deadline (although it may have been deleted) that he also a severe alcoholic. In fact there seemed to be a pretty big smear campaign against Pitt right around the time he was killed off.
It's tough to divine the truth from that situation. As usual, Deadline certainly had an agenda in their reporting of the issue, so I don't place much value in their take on it.

Socreges said:
Jimmy really only emerged as a centerpiece character that drives the plot forward in the second season, remember. And at that same time, from the beginning of that point, they were planting the seeds for his demise. I don't think it makes sense to suggest that they actually changed plans mid-season to write him out of the show. It all fit together, didn't it? The foreshadowing was all there, all season long. What rubs some people the wrong way is that he was a fascinating character that you could sympathize with (fish out of water) and shows rarely kill such people off.
As far as the narrative went, it made complete sense to have him killed at the end of Season 2 given the extent of his betrayal.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I didn't know all of the kids were being played by twins.

Holy shit! My mind is shattered. I knew twin child actors were a common thing in TV, but seeing three sets of them working on the same show is just bizarre.

EDIT: Oh wait, Forsythe is on The Mob Doctor this Fall, so maybe they wrote him out of BE. :(

Say it ain't so! ;_;

Also, Owen Sleater and Richard Harrow at the US Open last night:
T9vPt.jpg

why is he wearing the mask :(

UrbanRats

I really don't understand the backlash or hesitance about killing Jimmy, by certain parts of the season it was inevitable. He tried to dethrone and kill the king, and paid for it. It's also perfect in the way it sets up Nucky's transformation and evolution, as he's really killing the past and moving forward.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/676971/gif/UjJGM.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I don't dislike the choice from a writing POV, i'm just sad that he's dead (he and his wife, which i liked, too).
And Nucky is good character, but that doesn't mean i have sympathy for him as a human.

I mean the scene where he riles up both the blacks and the kukluxklan members at the same time, describes why he's an asshole perfectly.. he's a funny asshole though, i'll give him that.
His wife is also similar to him. :\

Socreges

Banned
I hope they can get Scorsese to return for an episode at some point in the future.
If this series gets to go out on its own terms (have any horses died during production?), I think he'll direct the finale.

Or maybe we could see him sooner:

Scorsese in 2010 said:
If the series continues, do you plan on directing more episodes?

Scorsese: I would like to, yes. It’s about scheduling issues, but I would like to very much.

Terence Winter mentioned recently that Scorsese is consulted on a number of issues from time to time. He's still involved on a peripheral level, but it'd be great to get him back to direct sometime, schedule permitting.

Terence Winter mentioned recently that Scorsese is consulted on a number of issues from time to time. He's still involved on a peripheral level, but it'd be great to get him back to direct sometime, schedule permitting.

Yeah it'd be awesome. Just saw the 2nd ep of the Sopranos where he enters a club :lol :lol

Such a surprise to see him cameo! But then again, the show is heavily influenced by Goodfellas, so who cares!

Yeah it'd be awesome. Just saw the 2nd ep of the Sopranos where he enters a club :lol :lol

Such a surprise to see him cameo! But then again, the show is heavily influenced by Goodfellas, so who cares!

Not only heavily influenced, but features three quarters of the Goodfellas cast.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah:
Winter has stated that Scorsese weighs in on the casting decisions, watches all the cuts and dailies.
It's nice to know that episodes still receive his stamp, to some degree.

A few more early reviews:

- Variety Reviews: "Boardwalk Empire" (subscription only, spoilers)
After the scintillating highs and surprises of its second season, "Boardwalk Empire" returns following a passage of time, which can always be a trifle unsettling. In short order, though, the program finds its groove, with new rivals, shifting relationships and strained allegiances, all set against the intoxicating backdrop of the booze-running 1920s and wildly corrupt Harding administration. Filled with first-rate performances, jarring violence and esoteric sexual acts, the show ranks alongside "Game of Thrones" as HBO's twin titans, with prodigious strengths that far outweigh a few lingering, far-from-fatal weaknesses.

- National Post: Boardwalk Empire risks returning to its old plot tricks (spoilers)
Boardwalk is a series that has mastered the art of the showdown — the wonderfully crafted scenes that end in either bloodshed or grudging detente. They happen just enough, with varying results, that the viewer can’t know what to expect. And on this score, the series delivers early with a couple of new gems.

Excited for the new season. Jimmy will be missed, but he certainly wasn't at the top of my list of favorite characters. For the love of god Chalky better have more screen time.

Wow, I had no idea this was happening this week. This just made my night. Can't wait to watch this with my girlfriend and her family this weekend when I visit.

My mom is going to an HBO event in Chicago next week, I guess they are going to premier the new episode, maybe on a big screen liek they did with the True Blood event a few years ago. I am looking forward to the goody bag!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom