• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bodycount - from the creators of Black

Burger

Mush said:
Black was not broken. It was a fully functional and awesome FPS game.
/

Yes it was. When you shot an enemy it would play a stagger animation (like the bad guy grabbing his chest or whatever), while that animation was playing, you could unload your whole clip into him and he wouldn't take damage until that animation had finished.

Whether you killed a guy with 4 bullets, or 4 clips was down to how much time you could be bothered wasting.

It was lazy game making. It was a BAD fps. It was non functional.

Salazar said:
And what a useful and enriching piece of knowledge that is. Pity the fool.
I thought it was common knowledge but alas...
He said it as though it was an original name or something. Like "who thought up the name Killzone? lolol worst name ever" kind of shit. :lol

Shaka

Burger said:
Yes it was. When you shot an enemy it would play a stagger animation (like the bad guy grabbing his chest or whatever), while that animation was playing, you could unload your whole clip into him and he wouldn't take damage until that animation had finished.

Whether you killed a guy with 4 bullets, or 4 clips was down to how much time you could be bothered wasting.

It was lazy game making. It was a BAD fps. It was non functional.
Never ran into that myself mate. It seems you have a problem with people who enjoy this game. :/

Aaron

Shaka said:
Never ran into that myself mate. It seems you have a problem with people who enjoy this game. :/
How can you have not run into this when it was true for every single enemy? If you shoot them during their stagger animation, they take no damage. I'm not saying this makes the game broken since it was obviously programmed that way, but how could you miss that?

Shaka

Aaron said:
How can you have not run into this when it was true for every single enemy? If you shoot them during their stagger animation, they take no damage. I'm not saying this makes the game broken since it was obviously programmed that way, but how could you miss that?
I really don't remember that. It really sounds like something I would remember. But then It's been years since so you're probably right.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Shaka said:
I really don't remember that. It really sounds like something I would remember. But then It's been years since so you're probably right.

He is right, it was completely ridiculous and killed any small amount of enjoyment I could see anyone getting from the game.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
JasonUresti said:
A Rob Liefeld inspired FPS would be hilarious. Ammo counts into the tens of thousands thanks to your pouches, slow walking speed due to your tiny feet, midget sized enemies next to yor 1000lbs nine foot tall character, NPCS switching hair styles and costume everytime you look away, and a field of view that 80 percent filled by your super sized toaster guns.

Lets do this, Codemasters.

Technically there was supposed to be a Youngblood PC game.

Jex

Danne-Danger said:
Was hoping that this would be the highly anticipated Bodycount of Monte Cristo.

This is the only thing I care about. They totally missed the boat on this one.
Eh, I can't think of any reason to be super excited for this title.

Swittcher

Banned
ultim8p00 said:
Bodycount is an actual military term relating to a weapon's effects.

lol touche.

Yes, Killzone is used for a weapon's area of effect, but I really fucking doubt Guerilla games picked it for that. They wrote down a bunch of cool sounding military things, and just picked the dumbest "holy shit kids will remember this bad-ass name, you're in the ZONE mother fucker, and you gotta KILL"

If Killzone wasn't called Killzone, the original never would have been marginally successful enough (commercially, anyhow) to ever warrant a sequel. Killzone, Gears of War, Modern Warfare, these are all catchy names the kids love to say, and are easily rememberable.

Swittcher said:
lol touche.

Yes, Killzone is used for a weapon's area of effect, but I really fucking doubt Guerilla games picked it for that. They wrote down a bunch of cool sounding military things, and just picked the dumbest "holy shit kids will remember this bad-ass name, you're in the ZONE mother fucker, and you gotta KILL"

If Killzone wasn't called Killzone, the original never would have been marginally successful enough (commercially, anyhow) to ever warrant a sequel. Killzone, Gears of War, Modern Warfare, these are all catchy names the kids love to say, and are easily rememberable.

Actually, Guerrilla wanted to use a different name, but Sony chose Killzone.

Dibbz

Eugh using that crappy codemasters engine that sucks on PS3? Was looking forwards to a Black 2 but I'd prefer if it was actually Criterion themselves and not Codemasters using some members for the original team.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dibbz said:
Eugh using that crappy codemasters engine that sucks on PS3? Was looking forwards to a Black 2 but I'd prefer if it was actually Criterion themselves and not Codemasters using some members for the original team.

But Bodycount isn't Black 2. Criterion themselves were reportedly hiring talent back in December 2008 to work on a sequel to Black.

Shaka

Swittcher said:
lol touche.

Actually a killzone is an area where a battle has occurred with many fatalities.

sflufan

Banned
Calavera520 said:
yesss. Has there ever been any word on NOLF 3?

No, not that I know of.

Sadly, the rights to the NOLF IP rest with...ActivLizzard (shudder)

Edit: this game MIGHT have my interest if it were actually based on the Bodycount band and had Ice-T as the main character! :D

And the soundtrack should feature "KKK Bitch" - the best song on the first album!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Shaka said:
Actually a killzone is an area where a battle has occurred with many fatalities.

Actually, it's the area from an ambush or other fighting position in which the fields of fire intersect - thus, in theory, causing mass fatalities. At least that's what my combat instructors told us.

Also, Gears of War is a really cool name that could have been the title to a really awesome game that delves into the minds of the men and women who are the pawns in the chess game of war. Instead, we got the germination of the idea that became Dudebro.

I seem to remember the term 'killzone' being used in the opening scene of The Hurt Locker, IIRC. [/THREAD CONTRIBUTION]

Oh, and I liked Black. It was alright for a PS2 shooter. Lol, I live in the town where this game is being made, and work just around the corner from their offices - basically the same town/area where EA, Criterion and Media Molecule are all based. Sometimes I press myself up against the glass like Charlie outside Wonka's factory, and aspire.

WanderingWind said:
Also, Gears of War is a really cool name that could have been the title to a really awesome game that delves into the minds of the men and women who are the pawns in the chess game of war. Instead, we got the germination of the idea that became Dudebro.

Yep, remeber thinking "man, that's a pretty cool name" ............then story details started to leak out =/

Shaka

WanderingWind said:
Actually, it's the area from an ambush or other fighting position in which the fields of fire intersect - thus, in theory, causing mass fatalities. At least that's what my combat instructors told us.

Your definition agrees with mine. :D

Purple Drank

I'mma grip n sip
Black held the crown for best gun sounds and maybe explosions last gen, especially if the .1 in the 5.1 was powerful enough--that game rattled all the pictures on my wall like no other game. Great sound may not be enough to warrant a sequel perhaps, but the sounds were the best in the business. It could be less monotonous however.

Snowballo

Black. One of the most intense game I've ever played.
And probably the best FPS experience in my life (Black Ops).

This thread needs more Black love.
Let's see again one of the best intro ever made

BLACK INTRO

John

Codemasters has announced an "aggressive recruitment program" for its Guildford studio, and confirmed that the outfit is working on "an original action FPS".

But they're not

wow at the haters.

black had a ton of potential and this is some exciting news for me. with this generation of hardware i expect some awesome destruction. will keep my eyes open for more info.

ElFly

WanderingWind said:

Do many ambushes happen in the plot of killzone 1? serious question.

Killzone 2 gets excluded from the naming inquisition because it's a sequel.

Ookami-kun said:
Technically there was supposed to be a Youngblood PC game.

Yep, but that was an a top down arcade game, with a reasonable art style.

I want the full Liefeld experience in game form, which would be something so amazing as to make Dudebro seem like a tame, earnest effort, God of War an exercise in restraint, and Gears of War a contemplative examination of war and it's effect on the soldiers who fight.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Apparently they sent out some details and screenshots.

There's kind of a lot of fog/dust.

Joystiq said:
Taking aim at the "whack-a-mole mechanics" of your typical cover-based shooter, Codemasters is finally ready to take the wraps off Bodycount, the new first-person shooter IP in production at Codemasters Studios Guildford under the direction of Black creator Stuart Black. "Our shredding tech enables us to create a different kind of gameplay, where players and AI can't hide behind indestructible cover," says Black. "Here the environment is constantly changing as the game world is shot to hell; it's going to be a huge amount of fun."

That huge amount of fun will be built on the EGO Game Technology Platform, an evolution of Codemasters' EGO Engine, for both Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. The story has something to do with killing 'Targets' – those are the bad guys – on behalf of the 'Network' – ostensibly the good guys. In addition to a full campaign, Bodycount will feature expected FPS enhancements like online multiplayer and co-op modes.

Codies' "first internally produced new IP for many years" will be shredding environments in Q1 2011. We'll let executive producer – and former Sony London director – Tom Gillo have the last comically hyperbolic word on Bodycount: "From the jaw-dropping devastation caused by firing into enemies or shredding the world around you in a hail of bullets, Bodycount will crystalize that moment of pulling the trigger into an exhilarating sensory overload of action."
Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/09/bodycount-confirmed-for-xbox-360-ps3-early-2011-release/

214pf08.jpg

2rdu6wh.jpg

benjipwns

Banned
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6253151.html
"When I joined Codemasters, one of the big appeals for me was how serious Codemasters were about original IP," Black told GameSpot. "But I wasn't particularly interested in making another shooter, right. I wasn't really ready to go dipping my toes into those waters again….But, I'm a great FPS fan myself, right, I love playing FPSs and there was just this itch."

"It's not a military game, it's not a future game, it's not a game of the past, it's set now, in the present day, but it has a strong technological thread," he told GameSpot. "You start in the present, and you take one step into the future during the course of the game. Then, you make your choice on whether you think that's a good or a bad thing."

Unlike Black, Bodycount will have a variety of multiplayer modes, including co-op. However, the game's campaign will remain single-player. Black explained the decision. saying, "As we got into the story more and we got into our characters more, we suddenly realized that from an emotional point of view and the emotional connection we want the player to have, particularly with that lead character, we can't have another player in there with them. "

However, just because the multiplayer and co-op modes are separated from the main story, doesn't mean that the three aren't interconnected. Said Black, "We also realized that because our single-player campaign is so focused on this character that we actually have an opportunity, with our co-op and our multiplayer modes, to look at more of the back story of the world that the player's story fits into."

He also said that while the multiplayer emphasis will be on team deathmatch, the game will have something akin to Gears of War 2's horde mode. The designer overseeing Bodycount's multiplayer development was in charge of the multiplayer aspect of Burnout Paradise at Criterion Games, where Black also worked.

Right now, Bodycount's maximum number of players is 12, a number limited by the sheer amount of destructible elements in the game's world. Black believes it will even outdo recent destructible-environment shooters like Battlefield: Bad Company 2 in what he called "intimate" levels of destruction.

As for Black 2, the game designer said it had been in development shortly after the original game's release, but had been shelved when he left EA. "Not so long ago people were saying, 'Gee, is there ever going to be a sequel?' I was kind of thinking, 'No, I don't think there is,'" he said. "I don't know what they're doing now. I certainly did some preliminary pre-production work on Black 2, once we finished Black, the first three or four months. I moved on quite quickly after that."

He continued, "A lot of the guys on the team I'm working with here now carried on with that and did a lot of pre-production for about a year or so on Black [2], before that kind of bit the dust. So, I don't really have personal knowledge about how that all played out. But there seemed to be overall a kind of general lack of direction. I'd be surprised if they managed that again."

zoukka

Gomu Gomu said:
They're only fake when they look good. And these don't look good.

Well either fake or the most horrible PR material ever released. There's just a million things wrong in them.

strideramc

zoukka said:
Well either fake or the most horrible PR material ever released. There's just a million things wrong in them.

I was really surprised to see these screens were released as PR for the game. They really do look terrible.

Haunted

Who the fuck even chose those screenshots?

Chairman Yang said:
Black was below average at the time of its release, and it's even worse now. It baffles me that it gets so much attention while dozens of superior FPSes are mostly ignored.
awesome grafixxx

Top Bottom