• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomb/Hit predictions for this Fall

Orayn

I'm calling 2+ million in the first month for Borderlands 2.

Dishonored should be able to break 500,000, but I'm not sure how well it can/will do beyond that.

Pranay

I'm calling 2+ million in the first month for Borderlands 2.

Dishonored should be able to break 500,000, but I'm not sure how well it can/will do beyond that.

NPD ?

2 mil is a bit too much for borderlands 2 isnt it ?

It should do 1 milion imo quite popular on all platforms

WiiU is going to bomb.

Relatively to the Wii, yeah, but generally speaking it will do decently, probably Xbox 360 launch numbers. I'm sure many will cry doomed when they see that it's not selling like the Wii, but at the end it'll not represent loses to Nintendo.

RedSwirl

Yeah and I'm pretty sure the 10 hour leak of the game helped it a lot too. It was near unanimous praise.

That leak was what finally convinced me to pre-order the game. It really should've had a demo, and Dishonored should too.

You forgot Dark Souls PC, which is going to bomb incredibly hard.

I hope it doesn't. I hope it sells at least moderately well through the fall, then explodes during the holiday Steam sale. I hope Namco and From see the Steam sale cash and decide to keep developing in PC afterwards.

GlamFM

Banned
Darksiders II (August 14) - OK

Sleeping Dogs (August 14) - Surprisingly good

Transformers Fall of Cybertron (August 21) - mild bomb

Guild Wars 2 (August 28) - Hit

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (September 11) - bomb

Borderlands 2 (September 18) - Smash hit

Dead or Alive 5 (September 25) - bomb

Dishonored (October 9) - OK - I hope!

X-COM Enemy Unknown (October 9) - Surprisingly good

007 Legends (October 16) - Don´t care

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale (October 23) - huge bomb I hope.

Hitman Absolution (November 20) - OK

Far Cry 3 (December 4) - Hit

Pooya

I'd be really surprised if it sold worse than that. Sub 170k That would be an epic bomb.
that's only 360 sales, adding PS3 sales should put that well above 200 easily.

I think it's very possible for D2 to sell 160-170 across 3 platforms at retail.

- Darksiders released in Jan, right after PS360 had a huge holiday hardware sales (specially PS3), game market then was quite healthy, 2010 was pretty good year for game sales. Now this year there was a huge decline in the market. August is generally a very slow month. Deus Ex HR only sold 244k across 3 platforms last year and it was the best selling game of the month.

- I haven't followed D2 closely, but THQ then was far more healthy, willing to put good marketing dollar behind their games. I remember they were sending some huge War's sword to the press, I don't know what kind of push D2 has but don't think it would be as good as first one had.

+ on the bright side, there isn't much competition for it this month as opposed to Jan 10 and now it has an established fan base from the first game.

overall I think it would end up below 200k easily.

Effect

Relatively to the Wii, yeah, but generally speaking it will do decently, probably Xbox 360 launch numbers. I'm sure many will cry doomed when they see that it's not selling like the Wii, but at the end it'll not represent loses to Nintendo.

I don't think they can have a repeat of the Wii launch. The motion control and Wii Sports along with it's price help sell itself. As much as Nintendo wants to push NintendoLand as the Wii Sports of Wii U it simply isn't. You don't "get it" as soon as you watch video of it or see it played. It's not like you couldn't explain it better though. Nintendo just sucks at advertising it's products and I really think a big part of the Wii's success was luck that Wii Sports (and then Wii Fit ) was so easy to demonstrate. Showing off Nintendoland, Pikmin 3 or even NSMBU (if you want to focus on why the controller makes it different) requires a nice bit of filming to show people playing together, focusing on each player and what they're doing and what the person with the controller is doing. It will be boring and somewhat long but that's the only way they're going to sell this I think in ads. If Nintendo is willing to do that is the question. If they are they might have a repeat of the Wii. Otherwise it will be a success just not Wii 2006 success.

I don't think they can have a repeat of the Wii launch. The motion control and Wii Sports along with it's price help sell itself. As much as Nintendo wants to push NintendoLand as the Wii Sports of Wii U it simply isn't. You don't "get it" as soon as you watch video of it or see it played. It's not like you couldn't explain it better though. Nintendo just sucks at advertising it's products and I really think a big part of the Wii's success was luck that Wii Sports (and then Wii Fit ) was so easy to demonstrate. Showing off Nintendoland, Pikmin 3 or even NSMBU (if you want to focus on why the controller makes it different) requires a nice bit of filming to show people playing together, focusing on each player and what they're doing and what the person with the controller is doing. It will be boring and somewhat long but that's the only way they're going to sell this I think in ads. If Nintendo is willing to do that is the question. If they are they might have a repeat of the Wii. Otherwise it will be a success just not Wii 2006 success.
See Nintendo is slick. They kept the Wii name. Those same folks regardless of how easy it is will buy it regardless they see it as another Wii. Wii Fit is not easy to show how to play either but that didnt stop it from selling. It honestly just now "clicked" to me as why Nintendo kept the Wii name.

See Nintendo is slick. They kept the Wii name. Those same folks regardless of how easy it is will buy it regardless they see it as another Wii. Wii Fit is not easy to show how to play either but that didnt stop it from selling. It honestly just now "clicked" to me as why Nintendo kept the Wii name.

Removing the Wii from stores would be a good idea to ensure it doesn't cannibalize U sales. People often go for the cheaper alternative, so making sure it's not available will push people toward the U.

Sean

Banned
The funny part is, if some of these games are so easy to tell if they will flop or not, how did they get green-lit in the first place?

Well to be fair, the reason most of these games will bomb is because of their stupid release dates. Not because they were bad games or anything.

Games like CoD, Halo, Assassin's Creed are so massive that even if publishers are releasing games in different genres (a fighter or racer for example) their sales are going to be hurt too.

18-Volt

Big hits: BLOPS 2, Halo 4, NSMB U

Hits: Resident Evil 6, Borderlands 2, Assassin's Creed 3, NfS: Most Wanted, Hitman 5, Lego LoTR, Lego City Undercover

Semi-bombs: MoH: Warfighter, AC: Liberation, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Far Cry 3, DoA 5, ZombiU, Tekken TT 2, Sonic All Star Racing Transformed, Transformers Fall of Cybertron

Bombs: Sleeping Dogs, Darksiders 2, Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3, Sly Thieves in Time (will do decent in europe), Dishonored, Persona 4 Golden, Layton 5, Castlevania: Mirror of Fate, LittleBigKarting, Playstation All Stars, P-100, Scribblenauts Unlimited, Epic Mickey 2

Forgive my PC ignorance but I don't know what Guild Wars 2 is. Was there even a first game?

pretty sure the tekken series is the biggest selling fighting game franchise in the world. So I'm hihgly doubtful that it will bomb considering the whole Asia continent will be playing it.

I don't see Borderlands 2 doing as well as most people on this thread. I love me some Borderlands but I think it will sell about 4.5 million.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
My prediction: Mists of Pandaria will sell worse than any previous WoW expansion.

oh mighty sage tell us more? who didnt see that coming all the other expansions sold like gangbusters.

Borderlands 2 and RE6 will be hits. Guildwars 2 will be a hit, everything else will have to fend for itself against sports games like madden and those three seemingly sure fire hits.

The games I'm looking forward to the most are going to be the ones that bomb the hardest. Dishonored, Sleeping Dogs, X-Com, Dark Souls PC (might be wrong on this one since it gained a lot of publicity)

There are some others that I'm wary about which will not bomb (RE6, FC3, Hitman Absolution and BLOPS2)

idlewild_

Pandas, lolololool

MoP will sell a lot. And it will become a great fucking game.

I don't think it will sell as well as Cata or the previous expansions at first, but I agree that it will be a great game and hopefully the word of mouth will pick it back up to the levels of previous xpacs.

anyone still bitching about pandas has not bothered to read/look at anything related to the beta or expansion

I'm hoping DS2 does well, I want THQ to stay above water if it's going to keep giving us coh, dow, saints row, and darksiders.

I don't see the appeal with borderlands 2 to be honest. Did the first one sell well?

I didn't find it that great of a game, the gameplay got repetitive quick. Wonder if name dropping diablo with it will still be a positive thing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
anyone still bitching about pandas has not bothered to read/look at anything related to the beta or expansion
Yup, it sure is pissing me off.

I'm thinking pretty much anything that isn't the usual suspects is gonna bomb this year. It's far too long into these consoles lives (and too early for Wii U to have a major buyer install base), we've already hit major droughts, and major sales drops.

This fall/winter will be:

Transformers - right in the middle

Borderlands 2 - Hit

NSMB U - Hit

NSMB 2 - Hit

Halo 4 - hit

Call of Duty - Hit

Assassins Creed 3 - hit (for some unknown reason to me)

Vita - with no price cut, bomba, with a price cut, decent sales, this goes for its games too

Wii U - Hit just not as massive as the Wii

ZombiU - middle of the road, and I predict we'll be 'Red Steel'd again, decent sales for a fine premise, with a lack luster execution in the end.

Nintendoland - Hit and it might be because of my next prediction, it will be bundled with the Wii U!

Luigi's Mansion 2 - average

Paper Mario - Hit

RE6 - Sadly a hit (goodbye Survival Horror genre :( )

World of Warcraft MoP - Hit

Pokemon B&W 2 - hit and the last hoorah for the DS

Playstation All Stars - Bomba

Torchlight II - hit

Just Dance 4 - hit

Skylanders giants - surprise hit

Need for Speed - huge bomba! and hopefully one more nail in the coffin

Doublefine Adventure - hit!

DBZ Kinect - an entertaining bomba

Epic Mickey 2 - average

Wii Fit U - hit

Starcraft II HoS - hit

Everything else? Bomba! Cause if I can't even think of it then it probably isn't worth buying lol

Persona 4 Arena probably will set a new record for sales of an Arc Systemworks game in the US, so a qualified success. The EU release will probably get run over by TTT2 however.

Darksiders II I'm expecting this to basically be this year's Deus Ex Human Revolution: do OK in sales, be in the UK sub-£15 bomba bucket by January. THQ probably won't be satisfied.

Sleeping Dogs It'll get its money back, but I can't see it doing much more than that.

Transformers Fall of Cybertron bomb, with High Moon Studios getting shut down before the end of this financial year.

Guild Wars 2 big hit, probably will top 500k worldwide within the first month, and go on to serve a similar length of time as its predecessor.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 will probably do P4A numbers in the US, which Namco will probably call a bomb. Will be the biggest proper fighting game in Europe released this year.

Borderlands 2
outside of the usual suspects, this will probably be the biggest hit this year. I'd guess 700k worldwide in the first month.

Dead or Alive 5 going to bomb, out of the three proper fighting games this one's going to sell the least. It will still break even, however.

Dishonored probably going to cult bomb. Good reviews, not represented by the sales. It'll do well amongst PC gamers, however.

X-COM Enemy Unknown major bomb on consoles, it'll do OK on PC but I suspect Firaxis will be sent to do more expansions for Civ 5 shortly after release.

007 Legends smoking crater. Eurocom seems to be impervious to the Activision axe, however, so we'll see.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale huge bomb. I suspect this one's going to be outsold worldwide by TTT2, to be honest. The "SSB clone" stigma will harm its sales a lot.

Hitman Absolution huge bomb. The fans are suspicious, the casuals will be too busy playing Call of Duty or Halo, and there's the spectre of a new Splinter Cell game on the horizon, which is a far bigger brand. Can't see this being successful.

Far Cry 3 Probably going to be reasonably successful, although a December release is always iffy. Can see this getting punted into January, however.

ZombiU hit due to hype, although there will be some major backlash once people realise that it's not very good.

Rayman Legends hit, probably will be the biggest third party game of the Wii U's launch.

Crub

Why do people expect Transformers to flop? If they don't sell well, why whould they keep putting out new ones?

Rand6

Darksiders II (August 14) - surprise semi-bomb, meaning it'll chart in the top 10 and give this perception that it sold well but the numbers will be like 200-250k across all platforms. Sort of like a Deus Ex HR type of semi-bomb which I believe sold around 200-300k its first month.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale (October 23) - big bomb, will probably be #8 or 9 on the individual sku top 10 for npd. I'd say around 100k

ZombiU (November?) - assuming this isn't in a bundle I think it could be a small bomb, meaning it'll put up around 125 -150k

-I really hope you are wrong with Darksiders. I expect a semi-hit with legs (500k first full month).

-I think Sony will bundle and promote PSASBR a lot, and it'll come with the supposed price cut, so I expect a lot more than 100k.

-For ZombiU, even at 150k, Ubisoft will earn money. It's the kind of game with legs, so even with a first month at 150k, it'll probably end near 1M LTD.

Effect

you think persona 4 in AMERICA is going to out sell cod and AC3 liberation? lmfao

Those Vita versions are likely to bomb. BO2 and AC3 are being released at the same time. Spin offs on portables don't do well in the shadow of their bigger siblings. One can't point to the 3DS because Nintendo puts actual "new entries" onto their portables as far back as the GameBoy or have separate series running on handhelds in parallel to the console (they aren't looked at as cheap spin-offs). I honestly see Persona 4 or another Vita game that isn't a spin off doing better then those.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
how can you NOT like pandas dude?
No, I meant that people who are still complaining about pandas in MoP are frustrating the crap out of me.

Guild Wars 2 has already sold hundreds of thousands of copies (fully paid copies, not preorders).

I'm expecting it to sell over 3 million this year.

PaineReign

Neo Member
What's with the doom and gloom for Dishonored?

There seems to be a direct correlation between the quality of a game and the number of units it sells (basically all the marketing in the world can't save a doomed game and an amazing game will succeed on word of mouth/word of twitter), an obvious point but what I am saying is that if Dishonored turns out to be a fantastic game it will sell well. Oh, and Bethesda has more than enough money to get an advertisement hype train running. I think it will do well.

What about it in particular makes you guys think that is won't do super well? Just too niche?

Also, Borderlands 2: >1 million day one, 3 by the end of the year easily.

Working in retail:

BLOPS2 isn't doing half as well as MW3, it still sells to dudebros, but most people seem to be burned out on the franchise. That said, it still has the most preorders of any game.

Darksiders 2 and Dishonored are going to bomb, most people have never heard of it. Dishonored especially, people are put off because it looks like a horror game.

Borderlands 2 and Guild Wars 2 are going to sell incredibly well. Both are new and stylish games in genres that are stagnate right now.

Transformers might be a surprise hit, people ask about it more than Darksiders 2 and Dishonored.

WiiU(anything) most people don't even know its coming. Don't underestimate the power of casual/parental purchasing power, people are ready for a new Nintendo console. I doubt it will sell as well as the Wii, but it will sell well.

edit: Forgot AC3. It will sell incredibly well, tons of hype.

zlatko

Banned
Earlier this year someone made a thread with predictions on NPD bombs and hits for the first half of the year and I thought it was really neat and to-the-point so I wanna make one for the next 5 months, Aug-Dec. Please post yours. I'm missing a lot of games like The Last Story cause I don't anything about them. Also not listing obvious mega hits like CoD, AC, MoH, and so on.

Here's a list of upcoming games to use: http://www.ign.com/games/upcoming?filter=latest

Darksiders II (August 14) - Bomb.
Sleeping Dogs (August 14) - Bomb.

Transformers Fall of Cybertron (August 21) - Bomb.

Guild Wars 2 (August 28) - Semi-hit. Will carve its own base in the MMO market.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (September 11) - Bombish, but better than T6.

Borderlands 2 (September 18)
- Hit.

Dead or Alive 5 (September 25) - Bomb.

Dishonored (October 9) - Bomb.(I don't even know wtf this is)

X-COM Enemy Unknown (October 9) - Bomb.

007 Legends (October 16) - Bomb.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale (October 23) - I see it doing alright. Still bombish territory.

Hitman Absolution (November 20) - Solid numbers akin to Ghost Recon Future Soldier sales.
Far Cry 3 (December 4) - Bomb.

ZombiU (November?) - Bomb.

Halo 4? MEGA SUPER DUPER HIT OF DOOM!

Those Vita versions are likely to bomb. BO2 and AC3 are being released at the same time. Spin offs on portables don't do well in the shadow of their bigger siblings. One can't point to the 3DS because Nintendo puts actual "new entries" onto their portables as far back as the GameBoy or have separate series running on handhelds in parallel to the console (they aren't looked at as cheap spin-offs). I honestly see Persona 4 or another Vita game that isn't a spin off doing better then those.
you are absolutely fooling yourself if you think a Japanese rpg in America is going to out sell ac3 liberation or cod black ops declassified. both of these will sell over a million. persona 4 vita won't even sell 100k in the us. will atlus even have commercials? I highly doubt it.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Darksiders II (August 14) - THQ will say its a bomb. Will sell better than the first one at least.

Sleeping Dogs (August 14) - Outcome not good, but Squeenix will be happy they have another Western IP

Transformers Fall of Cybertron (August 21) - Bomb

Guild Wars 2 (August 28) - Game is one of the two up here that will actually have legs. Won't put up big numbers, but unlike the typical bullshit shipped numbers you get a year or two after. You don't need to do that with this. The price won't collapse, copies sold will actually be sold for the most part, etc.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (September 11) - The stores will be flooded with copies, 10$ by Christmas for sure. It will look, smell, and you will think its a bomba. But Banmco will be happy with it.

Borderlands 2 (September 18) - Only other game listed that will have legs and will be a huge hit. Probably 5th best selling game of the season behind AssCreed III, Black Cops II, Madden and Fifa.

Dead or Alive 5 (September 25) - Bomb like old age to big tits.

Dishonored (October 9) - Will sell as well as Deus Ex Human Revolution. Maybe a bit better. So basically decent, but Bethsada wants another Fallout. So developer will be axed and game will be considered a failure.

X-COM Enemy Unknown (October 9) - Probably poorly, but I don't think 2K is going to be upset either. Seems like they don't give a shit about it either.

007 Legends (October 16) - Bomb, but more will come either way. Activision isn't giving up nor dropping the license.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale (October 23) - Opening will be 300k, after its been bundled for free, has their GOTY edition, has their greatest hits, basically typical Sony first party. 2-3million sold. So it will do fine.

Hitman Absolution (November 20) - Its going to make Squeenix very happy.

Far Cry 3 (December 4) - Probably going to sell like shit, but Ubisoft still keep at it.

ZombiU (November?) - What the fuck is this game?

Other ones missing

Blops II : Even more front loaded with worse legs.
AssCreed III: People are going to love it
Madden and Fifa: The armies shall not be denied.
Halo 4: Probably Reach numbers. But its actually going up against COD for the first time ever!

megamerican

I think both Sleeping Dogs and Darksiders will benefit from coming off a really dry spell. Not massive hits, but more than respectable numbers.

Tekken and DOA5 are pretty much guaranteed bombs. Seems like the fighting market has really cooled off and neither of those franchises carry much weight in the US.

Resident Evil 6 is likely to under-perform. The word of mouth is toxic and it seems like that franchise has gone completely off the rails.

I don't think Dishonored will set the charts on fire. But it may be a slow burn cult hit if the reviews come in at the right level. I also think its going to skew heavily onto the PC side so it might not look that great on NPD.

Playstation Battle Royale will likely flop. I don't think any of Sony's younger skewing titles have done very well for them.

Sadly, Far Cry 3 is coming after months of other AAA shooters and will probably get lost in the vacuum. Although I would have thought the same of FarCry 2 in 08.

In terms of the "untouchable" games, I think that both Halo 4 and Black Ops II will see diminishing returns start to creep in. I think Assassin's Creed 3 will likely exceed its lofty projections though. Seems like there is a lot hype behind that one.

PaineReign

Neo Member
how much do you guys think wonderbook will sell? lmfao

If they put a huge amount people behind it Song could make Wonderbook into a learning tool, selling it to schools interested in alternative teaching tools (read as: private schools). This has the potential to be lucrative, but it is way too much of a gamble and Sony does not have the man power to pull it off.

It won't sell on the backbone of Harry Potter alone (and they didn't/couldn't even get the Harry Potter name :lol).

Top Bottom