• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bomb in Times Square

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovid

nm01gk.jpg
sy9x03.jpg

A suspicious vehicle in the heart of Times Square led the police to clear thousands of tourists and theatergoers from the area on a warm and busy Saturday evening.

Reports said the vehicle contained a package that did not explode, and late Saturday night it was not clear whether the package was a bomb. A federal official said the incident was not considered it a terrorist threat and that the New York Police Department had told the Department of Homeland Security to stand down.

Police officials said they received a report about 6:30 p.m. of smoke coming from a Nissan Pathfinder parked on 45th Street just west of Seventh Avenue. The authorities found a smoking package in the vehicle. A bomb squad was sent to the scene.

The police were searching for a suspect.

A New York City firefighter who told Reuters he arrived early on the scene said that the vehicle was smoking and that he saw “a flash” from the back of the it. “We put two and two together” and the evacuation was ordered, he said.

Broadway was closed between at least 43rd and 46th Streets, and the police also appeared to be closing off part of Eighth Avenue.

The police said they planned to close down Broadway shows in the vicinity, Reuters reported, but it was not clear whether any theaters had actually been evacuated.

Onlookers crowded against the metal barricades encircling the area, taking pictures with cellphones and video cameras, although only a swarm of flashing fire trucks and police cars was visible.

Many people stayed to watch after being shut out of Broadway shows or prevented from getting back to their hotels, trading rumors about what was happening.

The Toys “R” Us, between 44th and 45th Streets, was empty.

Gabrielle Zecha and Taj Heniser, visiting from Seattle, had tickets to see “Next to Normal” at the Booth Theater on 45th Street but could not get into the 8 p.m. show because the area was blocked off. But they made the best of the spectacle. “It’s a whole different kind of show,” Ms. Heniser said, adding, “It’s almost the equivalent of a $150 show.”

In December, the police closed Times Square for nearly two hours as they investigated a suspiciously parked van, delaying the rehearsal of the New Year’s ball drop. However, the van turned out to contain nothing but clothing.

Police say Device in SUV in Times Square 'Appears to be a car bomb'

In the initial hours of the investigation, much remained unclear. The license plates on the Nissan were registered to another vehicle, the police said.

nytimes.com

A New York City firefighter told ABC News that the vehicle was smoking and also said he saw "a flash" from the back of the SUV. The firefighter said a "mini-explosion" occurred between 6 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.

According to ABC News, inside the Nissan Pathfinder police found: Three propane cylinders, two five gallon jerry cans of gasoline, a canister of powder, electrical components and an alarm clock.

Police at the scene said, "It's the real deal."
wabc.com

NYPD: "Device thought to be a crude car bomb"

Arment

Shit just got real.
sensationalist.

How come it isn't on CNN or anything? Figured this would be big news if it was actually a car bomb.

DMczaf

Police officials said they received a report about 6:30 p.m. of smoke coming from a Nissan Pathfinder parked on 45th Street just west of Seventh Avenue. The authorities found a smoking package in the vehicle.

2u4sntf.gif

Blizzard

Banned
That story says it's not clear if it was a bomb, and the NYPD concluded it wasn't a terrorist threat, so...maybe not a bomb? Or was there other confirmation?

Schmitty

Thank God that people used their heads and decided to call the police. Last time I was at NYC the same thing happened, except there wasn't really a bomb. Police closed off Times Square as well.

eggandI

Banned
Blizzard said:
That story says it's not clear if it was a bomb, and the NYPD concluded it wasn't a terrorist threat, so...maybe not a bomb? Or was there other confirmation?

Yeah.. where is the bomb, OP? You promised a bomb!

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
AceBandage said:
Isn't there always a bomb or a shooting or a random Arnold Schwarzenegger antic in New York?

Yeah, I mean the safest real city big city around is totally a Fallout style wasteland of urban trench warfare, for sure. Ugh.

And holy crap. Smoke? What the hell coulda happened? Electronic detonator fucking up? Shit man.

Just saw this on ABC. They reported that it was an SUV filled with flammable materials (propane tanks, etc.). It was set on fire and rigged to explode like a makeshift bomb.

Arment

Vyse The Legend said:
Just saw this on ABC. They reported that it was an SUV filled with flammable materials (propane tanks, etc.). It was set on fire and rigged to explode like a makeshift bomb.

Well damn.

SnakeXs

Vyse The Legend said:

Well at least this hopefully proves it's just a lunatic and not a dedicated, well funded group or anything.

I hope.

SnakeXs said:
Well at least this hopefully proves it's just a lunatic and not a dedicated, well funded group or anything.

I hope.

If they were dedicated and well funded, it probably would have been more than just smoke.

cnizzle06

Banned
Vyse The Legend said:

Damn, reminds me of timothy mcveigh

SnakeXs

AceBandage said:
If they were dedicated and well funded, it probably would have been more than just smoke.

Not to mention more than propane tanks.

Blu_LED said:
I want to see pictures of this completely deserted Times Square. Probably looks crazy.

It wasn't in the middle of Times Square per se, so only the area near 45th Street is blocked off. The truck was parked near a strip of famous theaters, so the "bomber" probably intended to detonate it as people came pouring into the shows.

Blizzard

Banned
Okay, so that local news story says gunpowder and gasoline. It's weird that CNN seems to still have nothing at all.

SnakeXs

threenote said:
What a fucking sensationalist title.

How? It's still there. There's a truck with 3 propane tanks, 2 canisters of gasoline, and gunpowder.

SnakeXs said:
How? It's still there. There's a truck with 3 propane tanks, 2 canisters of gasoline, and gunpowder.

threenote's not a very bright person, so just take everything he says with a grain of salt.

What? I was in Times Square around then and nobody said anything about it. There were a bunch of cops but they were chillin' with their horses and there was a bazillion people just walking around.

effingvic said:
What? I was in Times Square around then and nobody said anything about it. There were a bunch of cops but they were chillin' with their horses and there was a bazillion people just walking around.

That's New York, though...
I mean, outside of some major catastrophe, it's hard to get that city's attention.

SnakeXs

chubigans said:
So...how big an explosion would 2 gas cans, 3 propane tanks and gunpowder would have been?

Well gunpowder is the most explosive, so it really depends on how much of that there is.

And I've heard no word of any damage causing material, like nails or something, which is strange.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
This shit just got serious... I hope it's some random home grown whacko so that we don't see this sort of shit happen again in a long time

threenote

Banned
mernst23 said:
The irony of calling out a four year GAFer as someone who's barely been here half a year. :lol :lol
I've been here longer. Most people here know that--mods do, too. so nice try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom