• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BOMBA? Variety Grown Ups 2 Tracking Higher than Pacific Rim

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest could have used a lot more Gore, and a lot less Verbinski, which I think is Russian for 'bad dialogue'".

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
Tough question time:

Would you guys rather have Grown Ups 2 be a financial success if it meant Pacific Rim would succeed as well

Or;

Would you rather have Pacific Rim flop if it assured that Grown Ups 2 would also flop?

Rokam

Tough question time:

Would you guys rather have Grown Ups 2 be a financial success if it meant Pacific Rim would succeed as well

Or;

Would you rather have Pacific Rim flop if it assured that Grown Ups 2 would also flop?

Adam Sandler will keep churning out shitty movies either way.

Solo

Tough question time:

Or;

I'd rather not spend a cent on either. Which I won't be.

Cheebo

Banned
You can, but you can't when it's a Verbinski mega-blockbuster based on an existing property. I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's a chance in hell The Lone Ranger tanks.
Latest tracking for it has it over 80 mil opening weekend. Double what pacific rim is tracking out. Lone Ranger will do just fine.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Tough question time:

Or;

The former. Grown Ups 2 doing poorly isn't going to stop them from making Adam Sandler and Kevin James films independently.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Tough question time:

Or;

none of the above. I dont like Adam Sandler movies and Pacific Rim doesn't appeal to me at all

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I wonder if the sequel that's already been greenlit for PR will still happen if the movie bombs. If they reuse CG assets it could recoup some costs.

Cheebo

Banned
25 million. It's been FALLING. 25 million this is John Carter territory.

Haha oh wow Red 2 is tracking to have a bigger opening weekend!

Poor Del Toro.

Bluth54

As a fan of Godzilla movies and giant monster movies I really hope that this movie does well, but I do get the feeling it will bomb.

I don't got to the movie theater very often, but I just might do it for Pacific Rim, since it just seems right to see a giant monster movie on the big screen.

Here is the problem with Pacific Rim. It only seems to appeal to nerds and not regular people. Most comic book films appeal to both which is why they do well. That canceling the apocalypse speech is also super fucking cheesy and it's been in every trailer. I get the cheesy nature is part of the film's charm, but it seems out of place in the marketing campaign.

As for Grown Ups 2, I rather dip my balls in a fire ant farm than sit though that movie. With that said, it has star appeal and that's what the general public eats up. They don't give a shit about a clever concept, they just go to see a movie because they like the actors. Which, interestingly enough, appears to be a problem with the marketing for Pacific Rim. They've focused on nothing but those goofy robots and haven't really shown any of the actors. Mt GF wanted to know who was in it and I had to explain it to her. She actually likes Charlie Hunnam and didn't even know he was the lead, lol.

From a creative standpoint, Pacific Rim is so much more appealing than Grown Ups 2 that it's not even funny. However regular people will always be more interested in star power and that's something that PR hasn't been pimping in any of its trailers.

P.S. - Scott Pilgrim was shit and deserved to bomb. It was the very definition of style over substance.

Kuroyume

Banned
It just looks so bad. I love giant monsters and robots. The idea of Del Toro doing a film of this kind was exciting. But what I've seen in trailers has been so laughably bad. It looks too videogame like for it's own good. At least with Cloverfield you caught glimpses of the monster here and there. And it didnt look like a cartoon with over saturated colors and neon all over the place.

It just looks so bad. I love giant monsters and robots. The idea of Del Toro doing a film of this kind was exciting. But what I've seen in trailers has been so laughably bad. It looks too videogame like for it's own good. At least with Cloverfield you caught glimpses of the monster here and there. And it didnt look like a cartoon with over saturated colors and neon all over the place.

Trailers are bad i dont think film will be

Leucrota

Am I the only person in this thread who would see Grown Ups 2 over Pacific Rim? I don't see the appeal of PR at all, whereas the Grown Ups trailer made me laugh.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
It really doesn't look very good. And I'm pretty much their target audience. Kinda sad for the future of original properties, but its not like "giant robots vs. Giant monsters" took more than an hour to think up

Cheebo

Banned
BoxOffice tracks it at $55mil?
25 million is the tracking number. BoxOffice.com do predictions, BTC do tracking. Tracking is basically like polling is for presidential elections. Tracking is a lot more accurate as a gauge than their guesses. Not to mention they made that when tracking numbers came in last week at 40 mil. It has gone down a lot since then

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
$25 Million?!

tumblr_mn6orxwGEr1rf40fxo1_500.gif

If it really goes that low the only thing that will cause more meltdowns around here would be it ending up Rotten on RT. Oh man...

Slayven

Timing is key for Legendary as it looks to broker a new pact. Tull’s company has a lot riding on the success of Guillermo del Toro’s “Pacific Rim,” a more than $200 million-budgeted tentpole, which is facing some hurdles in exciting moviegoers before its July 12 release despite getting a major promotional push since last summer’s Comic-Con in San Diego.

Early tracking for the film is so far disappointing with audiences showing more interest in Sony Pictures’ sequel “Grown Ups 2,” which also opens that weekend. Some are comparing “Pacific Rim” to to Saban’s “Power Rangers” kids franchise or Japanese anime. As a result, expect a last-minute marketing blitz from distributor and 25% investor Warner Bros. to try to turn around those numbers. While the studio is advancing the film’s P&A costs, it risks losing a lot of money if the movie does not perform.

http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/warner-bros-no-longer-in-legendarys-future-1200501572/

I hope that isn't the case the movie has a lot of promise.

ivJN8L8VxLuor.gif

Sent

It really doesn't look very good. And I'm pretty much their target audience. Kinda sad for the future of original properties, but its not like "giant robots vs. Giant monsters" took more than an hour to think up

The plot isn't that shallow. Too bad the trailers don't help with that.

tino

Banned
Why did they cast that boring looking Japanese woman anyway?

A real mecha anime would have had a caucasian female interest in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom