• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought a secondary Xbox console ( series S for my son) 50$ USD less than retail price.. Still not feeling good about it.

//DEVIL//

So, I have a PS5 and Xbox Series X. but my 6 years old son was hogging the main TV where the Series X and PS5 is connected, So I was in the market for either Xbox one SAD or Xbox one S or cheap Xbox one X.

Here in Canada, everyone on Facebook or Kijiji thinks he is a smart ass by trying to sell his stupid Xbox one S for like 100$ less than the retail value of a new Xbox one S thinking he is giving a great deal.

My friend secured the Xbox Series X like me and decided he no longer wants the Xbox series S. and even though technically he could still ship it to amazon, he decided to give it to me for around 75$ less than what he paid for after tax ( which is like 50$ USD )

Now here comes the most important part. I still feel I paid too much for it. nothing to do with my friend's price which is very nice of him. but the fact this thing is expensive for what it can do.

yes its for my son, and yes he plays on full HDTV. but I feel like this shouldn't be more than 200 to 240$ console at max. the low SSD space, the low specs compared to its bigger brother. no Blue Ray Drive... why it is expensive?

Maybe because I paid this much for a kid who just wants to play fortnight Forza horizon 4 and rocket league?

I feel like if I was able to secure a cheap Xbox one s and saved myself a 200$ Candian ( or 130$ US or whatever ) would have been better?

I can still technically return it even if I want to, but if I did, Ill have to return the money difference back to my friend of course otherwise its not cool.

what do guys think ?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Its fine for $300 canadian, people were selling crapy xbox one's for this much 5 months ago.
It completely and utterly destroys the older consoles. Thats not expensive here vs series x. (What like $340 with tax vs $670?)

Thats really the sweet spot for that product, and its still a decently powerfull console for a kid.

//DEVIL//

Its fine for $300 canadian, people were selling crapy xbox one's for this much 5 months ago.
It completely and utterly destroys the older consoles. Thats not expensive here vs series x. (What like $340 with tax vs $670?)

Thats really the sweet spot for that product, and its still a decently powerfull console for a kid.
360$ Canadian. He paid 430$ after tax

but if his kid ever request a storage upgrade the whole price difference will be eaten (and then some). The product makes NO sense if you see further than the tip of your nose.

-Arcadia-

Banned
As far as the subject matter, he needed to game, you needed your space, and yeah, you could have bought an old Xbox, but you future proofed him for years to come.

It might seem like overkill now, but it will pay off in the long-term. Xbox One is a dead end and that will show up sooner or later.

//DEVIL//

but if his kid ever request a storage upgrade the whole price difference will be eaten (and then some). The product makes NO sense if you see further than the tip of your nose.
You have to remember that all those games mentioned can be used on an old hard drive which I have a 1tb portable I can use .
Only new games then yeah . Bud then I’ll have to delete the games he no longer plays . Which is kinda why I brought this subject . Wtf is a 370gig free storage ? What year is this ?

Warablo

I dont understand OP. You think a Xbox One S is a better purchase than a Series S in 2020?

I guess if your kid is really missing a blu-ray drive it was a bad purchase. You most certainly will have to slap memory stick in that bad boy eventually.

With a Xbox One S you would eventually have to buy him a new console eventually.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned

This kind of depends on what games his son plays, because a couple of long-term CoDs, and that storage needs upped, period.

But if he just migrates from game to game, or plays more reasonably sized games (which is most games not called CoD), and that seems to be the case, he can just swap out games on the storage as he goes.

Which, frankly, is something I’ve been doing all generation (using included hard drives, not buying my own), and it’s been fine. A small irritant, but fine.

LordOfChaos

I saw one of the next gen stock twitter accounts post that somewhere already had refurbished Series S consoles for almost 300CAD. I think it's worth it for that and was kind of considering it alongside a PS5.

It's not going to be 200CAD for another two, three years, and if your kid is playing on an HDTV and happy with it, I don't see the problem. It costs what it costs because of the 7nm process is expensive and it is using almost up to date CPUs, the APU still isn't /small/ even if it's substantially cut down from the bigger consoles.

I feel like if I was able to secure a cheap Xbox one s and saved myself a 200$ Candian ( or 130$ US or whatever ) would have been better?

No, the One S is not an entry ticket into next gen, the Series S is. I don't really get what the problem is if your kid is playing on an HDTV and happy with it.

Last edited:
I'm kinna lost OP, are you talking about you got a deal For Series S for $75 while your friend paid over $400 ? But you still thinking about a less powerful Xbox one S instead?

Which, frankly, is something I’ve been doing all generation (using included hard drives, not buying my own), and it’s been fine. A small irritant, but fine.
I do this, but the included drive allows for 1 or two "next-gen" AAA games, which is extremely limited.

Again, the 1TB drive upgrade will make the total cost of the S higher than buying a series X head on.
You have to remember that all those games mentioned can be used on an old hard drive which I have a 1tb portable I can use .
Only new games then yeah . Bud then I’ll have to delete the games he no longer plays . Which is kinda why I brought this subject . Wtf is a 370gig free storage ? What year is this ?
Yup, sure, but over time chances are that he will get more "next-gen" games.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I do this, but the included drive allows for 1 or two "next-gen" AAA games, which is extremely limited.

Again, the 1TB drive upgrade will make the total cost of the S higher than buying a series X head on.

Not from what I’ve seen, on the first party side. Series S games get around a 1/4th cut in file size, sometimes a bit more. I saw 40 GB, 70 GB, etc. That’s still a little tight on space, but it’s workable.

Have you seen 100GB third party gigagames, specifically on the Series S, and frequently outside of CoD? Because that would change my mind.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I think your are being silly actually. The series s is pretty great. The only reason you don't think so is that you have an x to compare it to. On its own, it's great.

Series S is good hardware for the price. Especially in your situation. I mean, it’s for a six year old. He can use the S for years before you’d need to upgrade.

You bought both the SX and PS5 and you’re feeling weird about a couple hundred dollars.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
So, I have a PS5 and Xbox Series X. but my 6 years old son was hogging the main TV where the Series X and PS5 is connected, So I was in the market for either Xbox one SAD or Xbox one S or cheap Xbox one X.

Here in Canada, everyone on Facebook or Kijiji thinks he is a smart ass by trying to sell his stupid Xbox one S for like 100$ less than the retail value of a new Xbox one S thinking he is giving a great deal.

My friend secured the Xbox Series X like me and decided he no longer wants the Xbox series S. and even though technically he could still ship it to amazon, he decided to give it to me for around 75$ less than what he paid for after tax ( which is like 50$ USD )

Now here comes the most important part. I still feel I paid too much for it. nothing to do with my friend's price which is very nice of him. but the fact this thing is expensive for what it can do.

yes its for my son, and yes he plays on full HDTV. but I feel like this shouldn't be more than 200 to 240$ console at max. the low SSD space, the low specs compared to its bigger brother. no Blue Ray Drive... why it is expensive?

Maybe because I paid this much for a kid who just wants to play fortnight Forza horizon 4 and rocket league?

I can still technically return it even if I want to, but if I did, Ill have to return the money difference back to my friend of course otherwise its not cool.

what do guys think ?
I think it's a huge bargain, and I'll probably get one.

It's cheaper than a PS4 and One X were just a short time ago, and is much more capable as a console.

4k is not a must have feature for a secondary console (which is what it will be for me).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
OP.

Seems like you're having trouble determining what a One S, Series S, and if spending an extra $200 is worth it, and if your kid can even tell the difference playing Fortnite and Forza Horizon.

Probably better to do some research before buying.

That console is perfect match for a kid. Does he have a TV in his bedroom? You can get him a very inexpensive TV capable of HDR. Just make sure it's full array backlit LCD. Best Buy website is a good place to look.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It was a typo, he has a series s. Relax, enjoy the small form factor, the nice white controller.
He likely won't fill up the hard drive at all if he's a typical 6yo, they tend to play only 1 or 2 games at a time.

cryptoadam

Banned
I don't want to shame, but geeze guy you have a PS5 and Series X and now your bitching about a Series S. Is this a stealth brag thread LOL.

I mean ya the Series S is a rip off. You would of been better off getting a DE PS5 if you could of snagged one. But your son is 6 I think he can survive, most 6 year olds are lucky if they get a tiger electronics, not to be stuck playing their Series S while a PS5 and Series X sits in the living room LOL.

If you really feel bad charity will cheer you up. You should get rid of your PS5 and X, give one to me and another to a lucky poster in here and you can enjoy your Series S with your son.

Kagey K

Banned
How much is a Switch in your country? Series S is pretty cheap for what you're getting.

He paid 30.00 less than a Switch (MSRP and not including taxes which can be 5 - 15 % depending on the province.)

I‘d say he got a good deal and if he decides to keep it he will realize the same eventually.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I mean ya the Series S is a rip off. You would of been better off getting a DE PS5 if you could of snagged one. But your son is 6 I think he can survive, most 6 year olds are lucky if they get a tiger electronics, not to be stuck playing their Series S while a PS5 and Series X sits in the living room LOL.
That would have been another 140.00 + 5-15% depending on where he lives.

I doubt he would have felt less buyers remorse spending that extra cash.

OrtizTwelve

what do guys think ?

The console costs more to manufacture than the retail price you are complaining about.

You can’t build a PC with those specs and get the same performance.

Riky

$MSFT
If he only plays those three games then you don't need a storage upgrade, also if you hook the Series X up to the same TV you'll see that at 1080p the difference is hardly noticeable.
I have the same with a Series X on a 4k HDR VRR set and the Series S upstairs on a 1080p set, moving between them isn't jarring at all.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The console costs more to manufacture than the retail price you are complaining about.

You can’t build a PC with those specs and get the same performance.
Agreed.

Console makers sell consoles cheap, and make back the money on $70 controllers, game subs, royalty fees and 30% cuts from third parties using their digital marketplace. Stores match them selling consoles for breakeven and hoping discs, peripherals, used games and Funko toys are the profit makers.

PC makers sell hardware for profit as they got no other source of profit. And spec/chip makers follow the same path. So it's a value chain that gets more expensive. Games are sold digitally or even direct from a game sites website and have nothing to do with hardware makers.

Two totally different business gaming models and company interactions.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
$250 is fine. your son wont notice if its 1080p or native 4k. be happy that you can afford to get him his own next gen console.

He will remember it for the rest of his life. you did good. do not return it and rob him of happiness because of some fucking specs.

Zog

Banned
I literally have no idea which system OP is talking about. I think it’s Series S.

These names are as bad as when Nintendo did it.

So the other day I pulled out my V because I was tired of playing on my 1. The V is still nicer than the NS in my opinion. Now I will get back to playing a PSP game on my V.

Kagey K

Banned
So the other day I pulled out my V because I was tired of playing on my 1. The V is still nicer than the NS in my opinion. Now I will get back to playing a PSP game on my V.
Sorry Elliot what?

You pulled out your vagina because it was still nicer than your Newborn State and now you are playing Penis games on your Vagina again?

😅

Did I get it right?

Top Bottom