• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought a secondary Xbox console ( series S for my son) 50$ USD less than retail price.. Still not feeling good about it.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I agree, Series S is a $120 console max. 299 or 250 is too much for it.

Lol. If your trolling, move on, if not - You can barely take 2 adults out for a nice supper and a movie for that. Even a used xbox one is more than that. Be realistic.

3XFvGAD.png

Yeah I think you’re being a tad dramatic. If you need more games than that installed at any given time, you’ve got other problems to worry about.

Aidah

I think the SX/PS5/PS5DE are all a much better investment, no matter the user. Mainly because the Series S has low storage that will be very irritating long term even for the average user, and a very expensive proprietary storage expansion that basically negates the initial saving. Personally if I wanted to get him a new console but save a bit of money, I would've gone with a PS5DE and shared my digital library and PS+.

Here is a question though, is the kid happy with it?

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Pics or it didn't happen

P.S.- Series S is awesome. I wouldn't want either Xbox One console over it. You can get a nice chunk of X|S optimized games on there even with the small SSD...

K73UkPw.jpg

^This is with 10GB going towards Dev Mode. Activate Retroarch and PPSSPP with a little thumbdrive attached and you have a formidable system that will provided nearly unlimited gaming.

I've got an SS and SX and the SS is fantastic imo. Not only is it tiny and totally silent. Games that are SS enhanced look fantastic on it. Have been playing sea of thieves on it and it looks brilliant compared to the old 1x version. It's connected to a 40" 2017 Samsung and its looks great. Have also played MW and Cold War on it and both look great and play great. Don't know what the Op is moaning about.
It also makes old X one games look good, been playing AC Unity and even that looks pretty good.
Yes the small SSD is a bit of a downer but all the Xbox one games can be stored on a cheap USB and will still look and play better and load faster than an old Xbox one.
Personally I love the series s think it's fantastic value for money and it uses much less power than a series x.
Sure I would advice most people to go for a SX but on a smaller older TV you won't be dissapointed with a SS.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Show me how Sony managed to put 3 times more powerful GPU/ bigger faster Ram/ more faster SSD storage/ bigger PSU/ More substantial Heatsink and liquid metal cooling for only $100 more than XSS?

Yes XSS should have been $120 or less

Simple - they built hardly any (indications point to 1%), and they are taking a loss on each one.
You saying the series s should be $120 is straight up silly.

Kagey K

Banned
Show me how Sony managed to put 3 times more powerful GPU/ bigger faster Ram/ more faster SSD storage/ bigger PSU/ More substantial Heatsink and liquid metal cooling for only $100 more than XSS?

The PS5DE is 220?

I don’t know how tiny your brain is, but I’m not going going to let you drag me down into retard olympics territory.

Otherwise you are going to drag me down to your level and beat me with experience. 🤪

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
The PS5DE is 220?

I don’t know how tiny your brain is, but I’m not going going to let you drag me down into retard olympics territory.

Otherwise you are going to drag me down to your level and beat me with experience. 🤪

You knew what I meant, its just you are acting a little bit thick. Its ok

Hudo

To be fair, all consoles are overpriced. PS5 and XSX are not worth $500. That being said, the kings of overpricing their shit are still nVidia. No consumer-grade graphics card is worth more than $600. They just charge those ridiculous prices because they can.

Aidah

Simple - they built hardly any (indications point to 1%), and they are taking a loss on each one.
You saying the series s should be $120 is straight up silly.
$120 for Series S is indeed silly, not because it's good value at $300 relative to the other options, but because there is a sweet spot for bang-for-buck, and the Series S is lower than that sweet spot.

However, it too is produced in much lower volume than Series X, so that's not really a point against PS5DE. Also, I was able to buy 3 PS5 DE without that much more trouble, so I doubt it's anywhere near 1% of total consoles produced.

I mean it's litterally in the name - Series S

What do you think S stands for there?

It's gutted out of everything except cpu and just ssd expansion will eat all your savings.

Im not sure what people expect from a console that is $200 cheaper than the base X and PS5. I don't want it but but don't bitch about it's power when you could have gotten something else.

MrFunSocks

Banned
I think the SX/PS5/PS5DE are all a much better investment, no matter the user. Mainly because the Series S has low storage that will be very irritating long term even for the average user, and a very expensive proprietary storage expansion that basically negates the initial saving. Personally if I wanted to get him a new console but save a bit of money, I would've gone with a PS5DE and shared my digital library and PS+.

Here is a question though, is the kid happy with it?
Plug in an external HDD and you’re good to go though. Unlike Sony they let you store series S games on an external, so a quick 3-4 min transfer at most and you’re good to play them. Storage is literally not a problem on Xbox.

Neo Blaster

If his kid is playing on a full HD display, he should definitely have gone for a One S or One SAD, mostly assured he could grab one for less than $199 on Black Friday.

Shmunter

Plug in an external HDD and you’re good to go though. Unlike Sony they let you store series S games on an external, so a quick 3-4 min transfer at most and you’re good to play them. Storage is literally not a problem on Xbox.
Yeah, they need to fix that.

DustQueen

Banned
I literally found 512 gig 10 year old external under my fucking bed...n here you go...I have 812 gigs of storage. There are not that many games that really need SSD. Just buy shit ass used external n be happy.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
To me It's really overpriced too. For 100$ more you can get PS5. If it was 200$ I will buy it as emulation godness console.
Also it will be hilarious if new Nintendo console will be more powerful than SS.
Sorry, random thoughts.

Does seem like a thread about nothing, the series s is better than all last gen consoles, and at least in the UK not that much more money than the last gen machines. If you feel like it's not worth it that's fine but you didn't have to buy it.
IMO it's a bit of a bargain and I'm highly impressed with what it offers. I couldn't go back to a 1x after playing on then Series S now and certainly not an Xbox one, both of which are also now dead ends with the timer fast ticking down, the series s will be around for at least the next 5 years.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

By this logic Nintendo should pay you for the Switch.

KO7

Of course OP’s case is different than mine, but the Series S wasn’t even a blip on my radar when considering any of the 4 next gen consoles - no matter how inexpensive they could’ve priced it. I’d imagine (almost) everyone with a 4K TV would feel the same way.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
So, I have a PS5 and Xbox Series X. but my 6 years old son was hogging the main TV where the Series X and PS5 is connected, So I was in the market for either Xbox one SAD or Xbox one S or cheap Xbox one X.

my 6 yr old never liked gaming until I got my PS5. now he hogs the main screen and console. i may have to do something like this.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Yes

Same thing with the Wii U vs Wii confusion, people just need to pay attention if you’re going to buy something ; don’t be a zombie consumer

You know there's parents that doesn't know much about it right? Ps 4 5 etc is a lot easier to understand than Xbox one, Xbox one s, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series.

As a parent that doesn't know anything about it, how are they ever gonna find out?

You know there's parents that doesn't know much about it right? Ps 4 5 etc is a lot easier to understand than Xbox one, Xbox one s, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series.

As a parent that doesn't know anything about it, how are they ever gonna find out?
They can do 5 minutes of research for a half a grand purchase. Why are people expected to not think for themselves?

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
They can do 5 minutes of research for a half a grand purchase. Why are people expected to not think for themselves?

Because a parent on 40 year old with a full time job goes down a store and says he wants a console x z y or whatever its called, thinks he gets the right product for his kid.

Not everyone thinks its so damn complicated to buy a new hardware. You can't deny that ps 3 4 5 is easier to understand, because a higher number means newer, where xbox one x series s and series x doesn't exactly hint what's not.

If the kid says he wants xbox x, is it one x or series x the parent is gonna get?

Microsoft is the only company which is not making higher number equals better name policy, which is plain stupid.

This is coming from a previous xbox player, who already found it stupid at one s and one x. Now there's just more to get confused by.

Again, I'm not talking about a gamer, but a parent. Besides, when the new consoles was about to release the Xbox one x skyrocketed on amazon because people didn't notice it was the older model. So yeah, there's plenty of these types.

Because a parent on 40 year old with a full time job goes down a store and says he wants a console x z y or whatever its called, thinks he gets the right product for his kid.

Not everyone thinks its so damn complicated to buy a new hardware. You can't deny that ps 3 4 5 is easier to understand, because a higher number means newer, where xbox one x series s and series x doesn't exactly hint what's not.

If the kid says he wants xbox x, is it one x or series x the parent is gonna get?

Microsoft is the only company which is not making higher number equals better name policy, which is plain stupid.

This is coming from a previous xbox player, who already found it stupid at one s and one x. Now there's just more to get confused by.

Again, I'm not talking about a gamer, but a parent. Besides, when the new consoles was about to release the Xbox one x skyrocketed on amazon because people didn't notice it was the older model. So yeah, there's plenty of these types.
If they buy a product without knowing I can't imagine they put too much thought into anything.

Top Bottom