• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought myself a surface pro 4 i5. Recommend me some good games.

So I recently went on an idiot shopping spree and I bought myself a surface pro 4 (best buy price matched 888.98 from wallyworld) mainly for fruityloops. But for gaming as well.

I got the i5 with 4gb ram.

Currently I have:

Door kickers
Octodad
Prison architect
Papers, please.

Looking for some more fun games.

I do have the type keyboard 4 and a mouse.

Not into cs:go!

I dont want to carry a remote with me so games better played with a remote are out of the loop.
I does suck I cant play cities: skylines on it. Is sim city playable?

Anyway, recomend me some stuff.

Izuna

Banned

ODDI

Are you looking for games that run on your hd500, games that work well with the touch-screen, or otherwise?

Anyway I won't recommend any games but instead:

Use this to get 3:2 resolutions that are lower than Native Resolution:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/da...ey-for-alternate-32-aspect-ratio-resolutions/

Use this to get higher performance out of your CPU:

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-max-intel-hd-graphics-surface-pro-4

EDIT:

puke, you call controllers remotes?

Thanks for this I'll try these when I get home.

Are you looking for games that run on your hd500, games that work well with the touch-screen, or otherwise?

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/da...ey-for-alternate-32-aspect-ratio-resolutions/

EDIT:

Lol thanks for the info. Weird, when I say it out loud I ask for controller, but I guess when I type it I put remote.. Haha idk.

Izuna

Banned
Okay ~ I owned a Surface Pro for the longest time and recently have a Surface Book (which has basically the same CPU as you). The best games to play (that also utilize the touch screen) are:

- Civ 5
- Halo: Spartan Assault/Strike (Windows Store)
- Carcassonne (Windows Store)
- Hexic (Windows Store)
- Wordament (Windows Store)
- The Room (play at the 1504x1000 resolution, try to force FXAA if you can and turn off AO)
- Minecraft Windows 10 Edition Beta (Windows Store)
- Zero Time Dilemma (play this with TAA off and at 1800x1200)

In general, anything that was released for 7th Gen consoles (Xbox 360 etc.) run great on this device. I'm currently playing Spec Ops: The Line, Life is Strange etc. but notable games I like include:

- Fallout: New Vegas (yes, Skyrim runs too)
- Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed (use compatibility settings, runs nice on 1200x800)
- Indie stuff like Undertale, pick anything
- Aliens vs. Predator (2010)
- You can play PSOBB offline

Games that don't perform well, or sadly just don't work:
- Myst series (III and IV don't work with the pen or touch-screen) -- although realMyst and Myst V (and Uru) are fine.
- Street Fighter V (the IQ has to be lowered so much, it's just not worth it) -- USFIV runs great however.
- Knight of the Old Republic -- sadly, this game doesn't have the iPad version's touch controls, and is just jarring to play.
- Doom 3 (Vanilla) -- sadly this runs like poop, but Doom 3 BFG Edition is fine.

Other Settings and apps you should fuck with:

-- If you plan on playing ANYTHING FPS based, turn off this

FuggYSy.png

Dynamic theme (Windows Store): https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/apps/dynamic-theme/9nblggh1zbkw

-- This lets you have your lockscreen/background sync with either Windows Spotlight or Bing. I use a mixture of both. Very nice.

Change default search on Edge:

1. Click "..."
2. Click "Settings"
3. Click "View advanced settings"
4. Next to "Search in the address bar with", click "Change"

If you don't see Google.com or Google.x, then go to google first and follow the above steps. It has to "discover" the site first.

Pro-tips:

- Buy a microSD card and put all of your games on that. Make sure it's Class 10 or whatever jargon they use these days, you get a little extra loading time but it's extremely worth doing. You can also stick your OneDrive folder onto it to save internal space.

- Pin "Sticky Notes" application to your taskbar. You may get used to OneNote for your info, but Sticky Notes is great for very short term info like managing a clipboard or putting some numbers/urls handy. When you close the app, the notes are deleted, but they persist even if you shut down your computer if you keep it running.

Okay ~ I owned a Surface Pro for the longest time and recently have a Surface Book (which has basiclaly the same CPU as you). The best games to play (that also utilize the touch screen) are:

- Civ 5
- Hexic (Windows Store)
- Wordament
- The Room (play at the 1500x1000 resolution, try to force FXAA if you can and turn off AO)

In general, anything that was released for 7th Gen consoles (Xbox 360 etc.) run great on this device. I'm currently playing Spec Ops: The Line, Life is Strange etc. but notable games I like include:

- Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed (use compatibility settings, runs nice on 1200x800)

- Myst series (III and IV don't work with the pen or touch-screen) -- although realMyst and Myst V (and Uru) are fine.
- Street Fighter V (the IQ has to be lowered so much, it's just not worth it) -- USFIV runs great however.
- Knight of the Old Republic -- sadly, this game doesn't have the iPad version's touch controls, and is just jarring to play.
- Doom 3 (Vanilla) -- sadly this runs like poop, but Doom 3 BFG Edition is fine.

Dynamic theme (Windows Store): https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/apps/dynamic-theme/9nblggh1zbkw

-- This lets you have your lockscreen/background sync with either Windows Spotlight or Bing. I use a mixture of both. Very nice.

1. Click "..."
2. Click "Settings"

If you don't see Google.com or Google.x, then go to google first and follow the above steps. It has to "discover" the site first.

Pro-tips:

- Buy a microSD card and put all of your games on that. Make sure it's Class 10 or whatever jargon they use these days, you get a little extra loading time but it's extremely worth doing. You can also stick your OneDrive folder onto it to save internal space.

- Pin "Sticky Notes" application to your taskbar. You may get used to OneNote for your info, but Sticky Notes is great for very short term info like managing a clipboard or putting some numbers/urls handy. When you close the app, the notes are deleted, but they persist even if you shut down your computer if you keep it running.

Great info, ill def try some of those games and settings. I didnt know I could play wome of the 7th gen games..
Still bummed I cant play cities skylines.

Firebrand

Civ V has a touch interface for Win8 and 10. (Get the complete edition if you can find it cheap, the Brave New World expansion makes the game a whole lot better)

I know you don't want to carry a 'remote' but a LOT of indies work great with a controller. If you decide to carry a controller with you, wait for the new xbox one controller to come out, it'll have native bluetooth support and will most likely be the best controller you can use with any PC and Xbox.

Anyways I recommend some nice indies:
- Enter the gungeon
- Crypt of the nechrodancer
- Titan Souls
- The Swapper
- The Fall

I think all these should work nicely without a controller.

Get the Valve complete pack off Steam. All those should run nicely in your surface pro and work with keyboard/mouse.

Okay ~ I owned a Surface Pro for the longest time and recently have a Surface Book (which has basiclaly the same CPU as you). The best games to play (that also utilize the touch screen) are:

- Civ 5
- Hexic (Windows Store)
- Wordament
- The Room (play at the 1500x1000 resolution, try to force FXAA if you can and turn off AO)

1. Click "..."
2. Click "Settings"

Pro-tips:

Civ 5?? Goddammn bought

Ohmbrew

So I recently went on an idiot shopping spree and I bought myself a surface pro 4 (best buy price matched 888.98 from wallyworld) mainly for fruityloops. But for gaming as well.

I got the i5 with 4gb ram.

Currently I have:

Door kickers
Octodad
Prison architect
Papers, please.

Looking for some more fun games.

I do have the type keyboard 4 and a mouse.

Not into cs:go!

I dont want to carry a remote with me so games better played with a remote are out of the loop.
I does suck I cant play cities: skylines on it. Is sim city playable?

Anyway, recomend me some stuff.

Congrats on the purchase! Are you sure Cities Skylines doesn't work? I tried it briefly on a plane on my SP4 i7 and it seemed to work, but I only played it for 15 minutes before shutting down. I'll have to do some research and further testing to check the performance.

I just tried Stardew Valley for the first time and I love it. Worked well on the SP4 (but it's not a very taxing game). I second Civ V, runs well on the machine.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are you looking for games that run on your hd520, games that work well with the touch-screen, or otherwise?

EDIT:

This is a fantastic post, will check both of those out thanks. That 2:3 secondary monitor looks pretty interesting too

dLMN8R

Cities: Skylines should work pretty well on it.

Diablo 3 should work really well too - it ran OK on my Surface Pro 3 but the Pro 4 has a much faster graphics processor.

Izuna

Banned
Cities: Skylines should work pretty well on it.

Diablo 3 should work really well too - it ran OK on my Surface Pro 3 but the Pro 4 has a much faster graphics processor.

Diablo is a good choice too, so is DotA/LoL and WoW -- but I personally am not into those games so I guess I forgot haha.

Overwatch can run at low settings (still looks nice to boot), but stuff like Titanfall or the new Doom are not worth playing at all.

And when I said any 7th Gen game, I'm including all the old CoD games, Dishonoured, or what have you. You can check how they run by typing in the name of the name + hd520 benchmark. It's just... not the machine to play those sorts of games.

There are Windows Store emulators what have great touchscreen controls. I personally played a bunch of Fallout: New Vegas with GestureWorks. YMMV for these titles. Very important that you use the registry fix and look up how to get custom resolutions in these games.

Izuna

Banned
Great Windows Store Games with touchscreen controls (carrying on from my previous list):

search for these through cortana, they'll show right up

- ilomilo plus (cute puzzle game)
- microsoft brand sudoku/minesweeper/mahjong/solitaire apps
- the harvest (mini diablo-like game)
- despicable me: minion rush (more fun than you would expect)
- lara croft go / hitman go (both on sale)
- minecraft story mode

Congrats on the purchase! Are you sure Cities Skylines doesn't work? I tried it briefly on a plane on my SP4 i7 and it seemed to work, but I only played it for 15 minutes before shutting down. I'll have to do some research and further testing to check the performance.

I just tried Stardew Valley for the first time and I love it. Worked well on the SP4 (but it's not a very taxing game). I second Civ V, runs well on the machine.

I have the i5 processor, it lags oretty bad. But I guess I can try it now that I "maxed" out my surface :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does hexcells have touch support? That'd be a great game to play in tablet mode

Edit - no it doesn't which is a shame - especially as it is out on iOS. You have to long press for a right click which is hit and miss so you get lots of accidental mistakes.

Jaagen

Any great tips on how to get a DS3/Sixaxis to work with the SP4? I've seen tips around for connecting the DS4, but I don't really want to spend $50 if I don't have to.

dock

Amazing tips!! Thanks so much.
I'm especially interested in that 1378 x 912 resolution. It's ridiculous that they don't support a pure 2x pixel mode out of the box.

If only there were some way to disable the swipe gestures on the right-hand side of the screen, which cause me a lot of headaches when using the SP4 pen.

Top Bottom