• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bound announced (PS4) (The game behind Sony Santa Monica last teasers)

This is the best thing about PlayStation for me. Not every experimental game they put out is good, but I love that they continue to invest in games like this. So many interesting and unique ideas see the light of day because of Sony's cheque book, and that doesn't really get recognised enough I don't think.

Fascinated to see more of this.

Shibalan

God I love Sony for regulary doing stuff like that. Gimme more weird artsy games !

Edit : basically what the poster above me says.

This is the best thing about PlayStation for me. Not every experimental game they put out is good, but I love that they continue to invest in games like this. So many interesting and unique ideas see the light of day because of Sony's cheque book, and that doesn't really get recognised enough I don't think.

Yep. Part of what always brings me to PlayStation. Let's not forget about Wattam as well! PlayStation gets a lot of weird stuff and I like that.

Qvoth

i understand why they reveal this now instead of at psx, too artsy
wtzgU.gif

looks pretty cool i gotta say though

Suzzopher

Agreed. I wasn't happy with the lack of these type of games from Sony this year. Did we only get Everybody's Gone to the Rapture?

Hohokum and Counter Spy last year struck the right chords for me.

Wait, are there people in this thread that think this is Santa Monica's big game for the PS4?

LOL
Who are these people?

I was hoping that they finally started teasing their "actual" game instead of the indie collaborations that they have done in the past. Not that there is anything wrong with it. But I am starving for the next big game from SSM and it has been a while. I am suffering from Blueballs now.

Heyt

Banned
Got all excited about it being a 3D platformer... But it turns out it's just another pretentious narrative game.

Man, Sony's portfolio is so full of "Mature" "storytelling" games with emphasis on aesthetics. Why would they still push it more? It's getting tiresome. So glad se hace Rachet and Gravitt Rush.

Misha

Banned
Looks pretty cool. Tbh stuff like this is more likely to make me pick up a new system than bland AAA games (depending on the gameplay of course)

prwxv3

Got all excited about it being a 3D platformer... But it turns out it's just another pretentious narrative game.

Man, Sony's portfolio is so full of "Mature" "storytelling" games with emphasis on aesthetics. Why would they still push it more? It's getting tiresome. So glad se hace Rachet and Gravitt Rush.

wat.

ZarKryn7

Dude, I wanna see more. 3d platformer you say? Intrigued. Very interested.

Also. I'm laughing my ass off how people still don't know how SSM operates.

lyrick

Bound is a 3D platformer designed for people with the desire to concentrate on the narrative side of games and experience a mature story

They caught my interest in the first 5 words and completely lost any potential sale they would have ever seen from me before I Finished the sentence, and they did it without using the word visceral.

eFKac

Nice!!!

I thought Plastic studios was dead as a game dev. Loved their previous games. Super happy about this.

Polish dev scene going strong!

Corpsepyre

Banned
Damn, another indie hipster something..

Hahaha.

Well, Pachter said it best. These smaller titles are like Snacks at best. Not a bad thing by any means, but they're not the main course. Still holding out for that, even though this does look interesting.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Tron-esque music.

Need to see more.

Definitely gotta scratch Bound's name from the "possible names of Bend's game list".

oSoLucky

The thing is, they're willing to let 3rd parties cover a lot of the genres with their big games, so why would they keep making more bombast AAA just to be redundant with the rest of the industry? Most of these games are made by smaller developers with a team helping out also, it's not like a large studio is devoting the whole of its resources to them. Also, believe it or not, plenty of people like these games. Look at how well Journey, Bastion and Braid sold.

jimboton

"3D platformer" made me immediately interested but everything in that blog post sounds bad.

Yup. I love platformers of every kind but that's also my take of this.

"desire to concentrate on the narrative side of games and experience a mature story." is the worst possible way to go about making a platform game lol

NICE!! Definitely wasn't expecting a 3D platformer at all here. Sony's studio's are really letting that creativity flow, very good to see.

I was worried for a little bit they were all gonna try and convert over to the "'sup brah?" dudebro type of stuff to appease all the new dudebros they're picking up by being the top console for FPSs, but it's good to see them try to entice those guys into new experiences in equal measures to giving them what they expect.

Procedurally generated platformer?

Sounds abysmal
That could be in reference to background decoration sprinkles, level order etc. Things that don't affect player ability or game mechanics whatsoever really.

The thing is, they're willing to let 3rd parties cover a lot of the genres with their big games, so why would they keep making more bombast AAA just to be redundant with the rest of the industry? Most of these games are made by smaller developers with a team helping out also, it's not like a large studio is devoting the whole of its resources to them. Also, believe it or not, plenty of people like these games. Look at how well Journey, Bastion and Braid sold.

Some people seem to have a serious problem with studios having creative freedom. I don't see a problem if a studio wants to make a small, narrative game.

Does every game need to be GoW, Halo, Uncharted?

Top Bottom