• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bound announced (PS4) (The game behind Sony Santa Monica last teasers)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I like the aesthetic. The real deciding factor as to whether this will be worthwhile is how good the animation and movement look and feel during gameplay.

Kup

Not on PS4 thankfully.

The PS owners do like these types of games.

Yes and me too, I'll be buying it for sure. My post might have come across a bit like a shit-post. That wasn't my intent. I want this game to do well, however, I know a lot of people personally who would dismiss it based on that trailer and that's a shame.

Elios83

Looks really cool and intriguing.
If it's an actual game compared to the ''playable tech demo'' concept behind Linger in Shadows I'm interested.
Also lol at the people angry because the teaser with a girl dancing wasn't about GOW.... :D

I've played Bound a few times throughout its development. It's very different, very beautiful and totally special. Keep an eye on it and give it a shot when it comes out.

It is genuinely amazing that the people at Sony (specifically, Santa Monica's external division) have developed a relationship with a demo scene creator and worked with him from Linger in Shadows through to Bound. No one else in games is doing that.

chrislowe

Uh, from making one of the best looking PS3 game, to one of the worst looking PS4-games.

Santa Monica is now an indie-developer?!.

This looks really, really interesting. I'm not sure if it's for me, but I love that a game like this is allowed to happen and funded by a major publisher and platform holder.

eFKac

It is genuinely amazing that the people at Sony (specifically, Santa Monica's external division) have developed a relationship with a demo scene creator and worked with him from Linger in Shadows through to Bound. No one else in games is doing that.

I'd really like to hear the story how Sony found a small demo scene studio based in Poland and managed to build such an relationship with them.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I'm glad that there is one of the big three that actually let's their studios express their creativity. And aren't scared to back and develop games that are different. Or everything doesn't have to be the same shooting crap.

Uh, from making one of the best looking PS3 game, to one of the worst looking PS4-games.

Santa Monica is now an indie-developer?!.
Introducing, Bound, from developer Plastic, creators of Datura and Linger in the Shadows, in collaboration with Santa Monica Studio
It doesn't even look bad, so give me a break. It looks pretty damn unique and creative.

I'd really like to hear the story how Sony found a small demo scene studio based in Poland and managed to build such an relationship with them.

I'll have to leave them to share that, but its genuinely cool. Especially since Michal aka Bonzaj is an f'n amazing human I never would have met if it wasn't for the external crew at Santa Monica.

I'm glad that there is one of the big three that actually let's their studios express their creativity. And aren't scared to back and develop games that are different. Or everything doesn't have to be the same shooting crap.

To be clear: Santa Monica has an external division, which partners with 3RD party developers. Bound is developed by Polish independent studio Plastic, produced by Santa Monica.

Crzy1

I remember Linger in Shadows. Confused the fuck out of me. Guess I "completed" it, but from what I understood it was just supposed to be like an interactive painting or something. Never messed with Datura, but it looked interesting enough.

The art style looks great, I'll probably wind up giving it a go. I do enjoy these artsy games when they're done well.

KodaRuss

Looks cool and different. Might actually get my wife to play some of this. She plays zero games now but is a dance teacher/dancer and this might peak her interest (doubtful though haha).

HORRORSHØW

I've played Bound a few times throughout its development. It's very different, very beautiful and totally special. Keep an eye on it and give it a shot when it comes out.

excellent

Percy

Banned
Sounds interesting, but...

...creators of Datura and Linger in the Shadows...

... is not a confidence inspiring sentence.

I'll try to keep an open mind until I see some proper gameplay.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I'll have to leave them to share that, but its genuinely cool. Especially since Michal aka Bonzaj is an f'n amazing human I never would have met if it wasn't for the external crew at Santa Monica.

To be clear: Santa Monica has an external division, which partners with 3RD party developers. Bound is developed by Polish independent studio Plastic, produced by Santa Monica.
To be clear: I know that.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Looks interesting but the faceted dress clashes horribly with the rest of her smooth shaded attire. Its really irritating me :p. Maybe I have OCD though.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Love the look. Plastic always delivers on the tech+art front.

I really hope that trailer is fully realtime, because that looked fantastic.

Sold.

Black Swan platformer? possibly 60 fps? Cool. Don't get why people are worried about GoW4 — of course that's coming. Anything that sells millions will get a sequel. Let's cherish these off-beat, atypical titles when we can get them.

Frodo

Bound is a 3D platformer designed for people with the desire to concentrate on the narrative side of games and experience a mature story.

Not for me then...

On the other side of the spectrum, Bound is also being prepared for hardcore gamers looking for the challenge of one big puzzle that can be only solved by a community of players working together.

TEH HARDCORE!!!!!1

Game looks interesting visually, but the concept doesn't sound too enticing for me.

Shin-Ra

Last but not least, and very important to me personally. You are going to experience our procedural 3D platforming world in a classic way. This means ultra-sharp anti-aliased 60 Hz in 1080p resolution. We have spent more than a year on optimizations, just to deliver you a game that will squeeze the most of your PS4.
NotBad.gif

Does look pretty clean in the screenshots.. beyond the awful lossy jpeg quality.

Nice to hear!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
TEH HARDCORE!!!!!1

Game looks interesting visually, but the concept doesn't sound too enticing for me.
Guy's from Poland, cut him some slack. He's not going to have the mastery of English language to convey what the game like this is about. Still, I think it's neat that they let the game directors write these announcements in their own words, instead of letting their PR department do it.

So the first part of the description turns me off. A game about narrative, not gameplay, no thank you. But then it says for the hardcore gamer it has puzzles the community has to solve and that was one of my favorite things about PT. so what is this game?

This kind of thing is the biggest reason I bought a PS4: the professional quality experimental games. Stuff like Unfinished Swan, Flower, Journey, and now Bound is a big part of what (for me) sets PlayStation apart from its competitors.

Even modern stuff from Naughty Dog is boundary pushing and, in many ways, feels so experimental and constantly crossing new thresholds. I had (have) never played anything like Last of Us. In its prime, that's how I felt about Uncharted 2.

And, I'm sure, how I'll feel about The Last Guardian. And Rime. And Firewatch.

PlayStation games are just so interesting.

I love this and it makes me happy and excited to be a player.
Yep. I hope Sony doesn't listen to the haters. This is what primarily attracted me to their platforms. And tbh I feel like they've become more adventurous and creative with their more artistic efforts than Nintendo, and it's been that way since like 2011 tbh. I mean just look at stuff like Tomorrow Children or especially Dreams.

It might be almost blasphemous to say it, but they really kind of remind me of Sega during their Dreamcast/6th gen period. I mean, they could be doing even more and I mean that comparison in a mostly superficial way, but the touches are still there. Arguably Dreams is as misunderstood atm as Seaman was when that came out. All Sony needs is something making fun of themselves like Segagaga! and that'd make the comparison more potent imho.

Good thing is unlike Dreamcast, PS4 is a platform that can financially support and recoup their creative investments.

Top Bottom