• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Charr has a chance, but only a very small one. Anything but a clear victory for Klitschko would be a big surprise. Never heard of Bryant Jennings, might have to catch up on him.

Edit:
Does anyone know when Povetkin/Rahman is ? I'm interested to see if Povetkin is still as shockingly abysmal as against Huck.

Edit 2:
Jeez. Charr not doing anything in the first round. They all enter the fight and try to fight seriously, when what they should be trying is going all out like a desperate boxer. Because let's face it, that's the only way they can win. Well, at least Charr tried an attack in the last second.

Jennings has fought a few times on US tv. He's small, but has some good wins in the last year. Def check him out.

Povetkin vs Rahmans corpse is sept 29th.

No idea why Charr isn't going to the body. It took Lennox Lewis turning his face into a vagina to stop Vitali, I don't think random sweeping hooks thrown 3 times a round are going to do it.

Blablurn

funny how charr screamed: i would have beaten u in the second half.

too bad the cut happened, it looked like an interesting fight.

Blablurn

maybe he was a lil nervous in the beginning, but it looked interesting later on. ah, well. what could have been, would like to see the klitschkos go ko at some point.

jchap

I can't believe a pro can have more than 20 fights and not know what to do when you get in trouble. All Molina had to do was take a knee and he could have fought on. Instead he goes into a fetal position still on his feet.

abuC

HBO is in love with Ward now, the gushing over him is crazy. Back when he was fighting on Showtime they never even acknowledged his existence.

jchap

HBO is in love with Ward now, the gushing over him is crazy. Back when he was fighting on Showtime they never even acknowledged his existence.

Hard not to be in love with a guy so slick and skilled who fights all the top names. I hope he gets promoted to PFP #1 just because he isn't afraid to fight the best.

abuC

Hard not to be in love with a guy so slick and skilled who fights all the top names

Still needs to fight outside of Oakland some more though, I know he went to a neutral site for the Froch fight, but he should now be able to draw outside of his hometown.

That said, his skills are unreal.

jchap

So who is left for Ward at SMW or even LHW? Bute got owned by Froch who Ward dominated, he has beat Kessler, Abraham, and the others in the super six and now the Ring LHW champion. He could make MW if he wanted so he is going to dominate at SMW for a very long time. A rematch with Froch is probably in the cards and maybe a match-up with Dirrell if he gets rolling. He might even get Bute at some point but that fight has lost a lot of its luster.

I predict his presence at SMW will make the MW division very talent rich!

TheNatural

My Member!
So who is left for Ward at SMW or even LHW? Bute got owned by Froch who Ward dominated, he has beat Kessler, Abraham, and the others in the super six and now the Ring LHW champion. He could make MW if he wanted so he is going to dominate at SMW for a very long time.

Maybe the Chavez-Martinez winner will move up.

jchap

Maybe the Chavez-Martinez winner will move up.

I don't think Martinez will move up he is a smallish MW. Chavez is having trouble making MW already, but with his crude style Ward would be perhaps the worst possible match-up for him. He has a good enough chin to not get knocked out by Ward so he would just have brain damage instead. He might anyways after he fights Martinez.

Edit:

Final stats

Jabs
Ward 44 of 137, 32%
Dawson 7 of 59, 11%

Power
Ward 112 of 281, 40%
Dawson 22 of 128, 17%

Total
Ward 156 of 418, 37%
Dawson 29 of 187, 16%

Lol @ 29 total punches landed for Dawson. It didn't seem that lopsided for the first few rounds.

abuC

I don't think Martinez will move up he is a smallish MW. Chavez is having trouble making MW already, but with his crude style Ward would be perhaps the worst possible match-up for him. He has a good enough chin to not get knocked out by Ward so he would just have brain damage instead. He might anyways after he fights Martinez.

Edit:

Final stats

Jabs
Ward 44 of 137, 32%
Dawson 7 of 59, 11%

Power
Ward 112 of 281, 40%
Dawson 22 of 128, 17%

Total
Ward 156 of 418, 37%
Dawson 29 of 187, 16%

Lol @ 29 total punches landed for Dawson. It didn't seem that lopsided for the first few rounds.

Damn, only 29 punches landed? I mean some of that has to be weight related, but even then he should have had some gas in the tank for the early rounds and faded late.

I was a huge fan of JCC Sr but after the 24/7 I feel like Jr is just an entitled d-bag who needs his ass kicked. I get the feeling Martinez is too seasoned and is going to pick him apart, but Chavez' chin and size gives him a shot I guess.

Also WTF has happened to Sr.'s nose?

abuC

Also WTF has happened to Sr.'s nose?

Too many of these -
8ball.jpg

And he ate too many jabs, the bridge of his nose is all jacked up.

Too many of these -
8ball.jpg

And he ate too many jabs, the bridge of his nose is all jacked up.

I don't remember it looked that fucked up when he first retired. It looks like plastic surgery gone wrong. Like he had some shit injected into the spot between hiseyes.

osnake

Neo Member
Could be all those cuts he received, gym wars. And old age.

What a performance by Ward. I couldn't believe I predicted the finish.

On behalf of MMA GAF and MMA fans everywhere, I apologize for you guys being introduced to the commentary stylings of Mauro Ranallo on Showtime. Yeah, he's better than Gus "Nuts And Guts" Johnson, but that's not saying much.

I was a huge fan of JCC Sr but after the 24/7 I feel like Jr is just an entitled d-bag who needs his ass kicked. I get the feeling Martinez is too seasoned and is going to pick him apart, but Chavez' chin and size gives him a shot I guess.

I felt exactly the same way. What tipped me over was how Jr. constantly abandoned Roach by not even going to work with him and even working the mitts with some other guy. That's total disrespect right there.

Where do you guys rank Ward at PFP? I'd say with the tko last night, he should move up to #3 or #4 in the world. SON OF GOD!!1

I'd say # 3. Ward should fight Bute, but I think he would end up getting owned. I still don't understand how Bute was beaten by Froch...

jchap

JCC Jr. is an arrogant clown with a good chin and zero defense. When he fought Zbik he took a couple 100 flush shots to the face from feather fisted fringe champion. I think the Martinez fight will look similar except that Martinez knows how to throw a real punch and move when Chavez tries to maul him. I could be wrong, but I'm convinced its going to be a one-sided beat down. Normally I do not look forward to such fights but in this case I will make an exception!

As for the PFP ranking for Ward, I put him in the top tier with Mayweather, Pacman, Martinez, and Donaire. Probably ahead of Donaire and Martinez based on the level of competition. If in 2013 he beats Martinez, Bute or Froch, and maybe Pascal he would probably jump both Pac and Mayweather because of their inactivity.

abuC

Anyone see that Olusegun Ajose vs Lucas Matthysse fight? Matthysse is a monster, and Ajose can take a hell of a beating. Plus, Adamek fought yesterday as well, a lot of good ass fights to make up for that Molina fight.

Tom_Cody

So who is left for Ward at SMW or even LHW? Bute got owned by Froch who Ward dominated, he has beat Kessler, Abraham, and the others in the super six and now the Ring LHW champion. He could make MW if he wanted so he is going to dominate at SMW for a very long time. A rematch with Froch is probably in the cards and maybe a match-up with Dirrell if he gets rolling. He might even get Bute at some point but that fight has lost a lot of its luster.

I predict his presence at SMW will make the MW division very talent rich!
That's really the question now. That was the performance of a super start for sure, but who does he fight now? After the Super Six and now this dominating performance over Dawson he has totally cleared the field. Separately, Dawson has already cleared out the 175 lb. division and those guys are now either out of that division or retired. I would say the winner of Martinez-Chavez but Martinez is too small and Chavez is too green. He could probably make a few million fighting Hopkins, but who wants that fight?

I would recommend that he temporarily retire in order to allow other legitimate challengers to emerge. Floyd sat out from December 2007 to September 2009 and he is now making more money than ever.

Tom_Cody

Anyone see that Olusegun Ajose vs Lucas Matthysse fight? Matthysse is a monster, and Ajose can take a hell of a beating. Plus, Adamek fought yesterday as well, a lot of good ass fights to make up for that Molina fight.
This was an amazing fight as well. The 140 lb. division is so stacked it's ridiculous. I can't wait to see more of both of these guys.

Its a shame Maidana moved up to 147. Matthysse-Maidana would be World War III at 140.

Pound 4 Pound:

1) Mayweather
2) Ward
3) Pacman
4) Donaire
5) Marquez

It's gets muddy after that. Prob throw Wlad in around 9 or 10 since he's so dominant on his weight class.

I hope Ward doesn't fight once a year now, but if he is, Bute could take a couple of fights against "enhancement talent" and then they could get it on in front of a huge crowd in Canada. Maybe Ward could move up, and fight Cloud or Pascal then rematch Dawson for the belts provided Chad doesn't retire.

abuC

This was an amazing fight as well. The 140 lb. division is so stacked it's ridiculous. I can't wait to see more of both of these guys.

Its a shame Maidana moved up to 147. Matthysse-Maidana would be World War III at 140.

Rios vs Matthysse would be good too, mainly cause I know Rios would be foolish enough to trade with Lucas.

Finally got to see the most recent 24/7 Chavez/Martinez and I hope Sergio lays him out, JCC came across like such a clown.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Masterful performance by Ward. He is now in the top 5 p4p.

Here is my list

1. Mayweather
2. Pac
3. Martinez
4. Marquez
5. Ward

abuC

don't pay attention to boxing much. Has mayweather faught pacquiao yet?

Mayweather was in jail, Pac "lost" to Timothy Bradley and now he's setting up another fight with Juan Manuel Marquez. You might as well give up any hope on them fighting anytime soon, we'll see it when they're both over the hill and need a money grab.

Tom_Cody

Rios vs Matthysse would be good too, mainly cause I know Rios would be foolish enough to trade with Lucas.
Yeah, that would be a good fight. There is a long list of good opponents for Matthysse. Danny Garcia, Josesito Lopez (assuming he gets beaten up by Alvarez and comes down to his natural weight), Robert Guerrero (assuming he comes back to a sane weight). The list goes on.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Anyone catch Martinez-Chavez 24/7? Chavez came off as a entitled spoiled brat. It is sad to see that he had Freddie Roach waiting hours at the gym then to call and say he didnt want to train. I have a feeling that Martinez is going to teach this boy a lesson. What makes the Martinez's, Mayweather's and Dawson's of the sport is their work ethic. It was pretty telling when you see Chavez talking about training when he wants to and Sergio watching tape and saying he barely has any social life due to his training.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Chavez-Martinez weigh-in about to start. Yahoo and Espn have live streams. Getting pumped for this fight. Anyone want to start a thread on this? I can't since my privileges have been removed.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Martinez- 159
Chavez Jr. - 158 - wow...and by that I mean way to light. Not good on his part. Needed to be on the dot to be somewhat effective.

Top Bottom