• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brad Sams: Bonnie Ross left 343 due to management reshuffle, Halo Infinites season 3 delay was the final straw

intbal

8sd6I4E.gif

To the surprise of absolutely no one. They couldn't fire her because the optics would've looked bad, so giving her an out apparently on her own terms (why she planned to depart in November) was the answer. If something came up health-wise with a family member, incidentally gave her a means to accelerate the departure tho not on the best of terms (no one wants a family member in a troubled state of health).

I don't think there's much they can do to regain former glory with Halo Infinite, but they can salvage what they have, build back up some much needed goodwill with the fanbase, and move into a brand new Halo a few years from now. Maybe that will be the one that finally does right by the legacy of the IP, but the seeds that can blossom into such a thing need to start being planted now. Reorganizing the upper management of the studio is an important step on that path.

No. It was scheduled for she to leave in November but some family matter expedited the process.

That is the truth. No speculation, no nothing, staph.

EDIT: and by the way if you say otherwise, you will get banned for such insensitive comments.

Last edited:
Fair enough, she was a senior member of Xbox so I'm not surprised she was given so many chances in the first place. Probably earned enough money to retire now.

No Way Disbelief GIF

But seriously, it should have happened sooner. She somehow survived the MCC fiasco, the delay of Halo Infinite, and then when Infinite released it was missing so many features. Her last possible chance had to have been to get those features and map into shape quickly. The crazy thing is that Halo Infinite launched pretty well, I know I was enjoying it a lot in the beginning, it just needed way more multiplayer maps. If you put out an update with a new map and new features every 3 months or so you can keep this thing booming. Instead they just let all of that release goodwill go down the drain by making their seasons insanely long and barely releasing anything during the season. 343i has been run like total shit for at least five years and somehow the leader of the whole thing was able to skate by......

anthony2690

Banned
She said she hoped to stay till the winter update... (It sounded like she knew there was a reshuffle happening)

It just sounded like she left earlier than planned due to a family emergency... (What is unfortunate)

I don't think there is any deciet, what I'm sure many will allude too.

I wonder how many billions "empowering women in the workspace" has cost big tech companies thus far?

I mean if they are good then fair enough. But anything other than a meritocracy is going to be a -EV play. It's inevitable.

Plenty of men in leadership roles at Xbox who are equally culpable in this mess. Not about gender, incompetence just shouldn’t be tolerated.

Bonnie Ross is / was in charge of Halo was she not?

Ultimately the buck stops with her. You can’t blame Spencer or Booty, they had given her the responsibility and it’s on her and her team to deliver. The only blame any superiors should have is for diversity hiring when millions, if not billions are at stake.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Bonnie Ross is / was in charge of Halo was she not?

Ultimately the buck stops with her. You can’t blame Spencer or Booty, they had given her the responsibility and it’s on her and her team to deliver. The only blame any superiors should have is for diversity hiring when millions, if not billions are at stake.
She had to go. Phil should have done it after MCC launched - that’s all I mean. Infinite could have been avoided if Phil was more decisive earlier.

She had to go. Phil should have done it after MCC launched - that’s all I mean. Infinite could have been avoided if Phil was more decisive earlier.

Yes, fair enough. But going all in on “we are empowering women”, then pulling the plug on them at the first fault is not a good look either.

As we now see, hiring to fill gender quotas or whatever instead of merit can get very messy. And that is probably why they have not acted sooner because it’s a woman they made a big fuss about when putting her in a top job at Xbox.

VAVA Mk2

well according to some 343 employees there was one higher up in the studio (forgot his name) that constantly lied about the state and progress of the game to management at Microsoft.

the Studio is simply a hot mess
Chris Lee. He was the Project Lead before they brought in Staten.

I do. As leader she should have seen they were not up to the task of pulling off a live service and asked for a secondary post launch content team to assist them....but she didn't
The team follows the leader's direction
Genuine theoretical question: Let's say you're the team leader and you're being asked to pull off a live service model in addition to a full sized open campaign. Over the course of development you're realizing it isn't feasible for the window of time you're given(either due to staff size or development time) and you go to your publisher to let them know, but you are then told 'No, they have to be done and released on this date, that's final. Also, fix up the graphics again too.' What is the optimal path in this situation?

Top Bottom