• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Default |OT| A better Final Fantasy than Final Fantasy

It defeats the point of powering up to wait until late game, I want to curb stomp all the things! That's why I ignored all the comments to wait until after chapter three and have grinded tons already. So is there not a particular spot that hands out more jp than others in chapter 4?

FryHole

It defeats the point of powering up to wait until late game, I want to curb stomp all the things! That's why I ignored all the comments to wait until after chapter three and have grinded tons already. So is there not a particular spot that hands out more jp than others in chapter 4?

An island north east of Florem with a beach on the south end and ice up north, plus a keystone monument. Grind on the beach to encounter 6x rafflesia on a regular basis for much JP.

Gambit

I just finished reading both the Bravely Default novels that were released late last year together with For The Sequel. It takes place after the end of the true ending. Plot summary (major spoilers for the end of the game and the books):
Tiz, Agnes and Edea went back to their original world. Ringabel wanted to go back to HIS original world. On his way through the hole his airship encountered some difficulty and he was thrown off. When he awoke, he was back in Norende. And the hole was still open. So he went back there, and met Tiz and Agnes. But they didn't recognize him. Or each other, in fact.

Yup. He had ended up in yet another world. Even Airy was back, and on her wings she bore an infinity symbol. He sets out on a journey to release all 4 crystals AGAIN. Except this time he swore to save everyone. And he kept questioning if this Airy was lying to them again.

He was eventually able to recruit Holly and Bearing, Jackal and Najit, and the Venus sisters. He rallied all the nations against the empire, and eventually managed to convince Brave to stop his plans. The four crystals were released without bringing about the Holy Pillar. Airy turned out to have been evil all along, and was actually some lingering power of Uroboros (even she herself did not know this). With the aid of Anazel the party defeated her. Instead of killing her off, Ringbel brought up his oath to save everyone, and managed to convince her to Bravely Default from the voice in her head insisting she should bring about the world's end.

Overall I found the story a bit of a disappointment, but it had some really good moments. The biggest one being Ringabel commenting that
Victor, Victoria and Anazel were the three with the most tragic stories among the Empire, and how he intended to use that to convert them to his side.

I didn't know there were any novels. All in all that sounds very complicated, but would explain
why Ringabel is shown fighting Airy again in the True Ending
Thanks for writing it up

Is there an item to examine enemies or is the Freelancer skill the only way possible? I'm running this skillset just because of this very move and I'm tired of it.

An island north east of Florem with a beach on the south end and ice up north, plus a keystone monument. Grind on the beach to encounter 6x rafflesia on a regular basis for much JP.

I'm at work so can't check at the moment, but you're referring to the ring of islands all the way in the NE corner of the map, correct? That's the one area of the world I haven't been yet. Great, thanks for the tip, I'll be going there fairly soon. I've been grinding in the story dungeon just outside of a certain free recharge station so to speak. Pretty much all I did last night was grind there and then all the sudden I look up and have nearly 900k gold and was like woah! time to buy the eggs! I only bothered with the growth egg though. I can't imagine what I'll even need money for going forth since I think I already have what I want from Norende and I don't care about buying the costumes you unlock there.

Only a couple hours in so far, but I'm really digging it. Could use some friends though (not thrilled about that aspect of the game). My friend code is 0275-8317-3516. I did add some GAF'ers and had my name added to the list.

Chitown B

luckily you can Internet street pass. I don't need to really since I seem to pick people up every day riding the train, but it's nice for burbs people.

leroidys

Quick question, what does a red weapon affinity rank mean? My knight has a blue S for longswords, and a red s for the mace.

Labadal

Doing sub quests in chapter 8. Chapters 7 and 8 should really have been chapters 5 and 6.

Rrally enjoyed these sub boss battles. Only annoyance is that I haven't stolen much of their equipment. That mesns I will miss some items.

Might do a NG+ with no random battles and no sub quests until chapter 7.

Can someone definitively confirm if the following is true or false...? (Something I'm curious about).

If I were to as early as possible master EVERY job then level up to 99 from there as a freelancer, would my characters get those boosts permanently from the freelancer trait (Forgot the name)? I already have my abilities and classes planned out, but I'm wondering if my Ninja would be stronger if I leveled up the whole game as a freelancer after mastering every job. I noticed you can even take off EXP in battles which is simply amazing.

Leezard

Can someone definitively confirm if the following is true or false...? (Something I'm curious about).

If I were to as early as possible master EVERY job then level up to 99 from there as a freelancer, would my characters get those boosts permanently from the freelancer trait (Forgot the name)? I already have my abilities and classes planned out, but I'm wondering if my Ninja would be stronger if I leveled up the whole game as a freelancer after mastering every job. I noticed you can even take off EXP in battles which is simply amazing.

No, you do not get stats boosts per level up. You have the stat bonus as long as you have the job equipped.

Just started this up, man I know if I can get into this, Im only a couple hours in and beat the first boss I guess, black mage. I dont have a good feel on when I should be using brave and default, feels like Im playing the game wrong, I know there's not really such a thing but any tips on that?

Is £32 the best price this is going for? I really want to check the game out, in the right mood for it, but I dson't want to pull the trigger if there's better deals on offer. I checked amazon, argos, shopto, quite a few places, all £32 or higher.

Labadal

Is £32 the best price this is going for? I really want to check the game out, in the right mood for it, but I dson't want to pull the trigger if there's better deals on offer. I checked amazon, argos, shopto, quite a few places, all £32 or higher.

Why do you want it? Depending on why, especially if the combat and job system are most important to you, I would recommend you to pull the trigger.

Why do you want it? Depending on why, especially if the combat and job system are most important to you, I would recommend you to pull the trigger.

Well, I've been messing around with FFIX again and it put me in the mood for a new SE game, as close to those old experiences as they do these days. so I came to be looking at Bravely Default. Now, I can accept the world is likely/definitely not as expansive as the old FFs, so looking for decent to interesting story, and yes, interesting/engaging combat, since so much of your time in a jrpg is usual spent battling. It's not that I find £32 horrific (though more than I'm used to paying these days), just making sure I wasn't missing a good deal anywhere first man! Cheers for the response.

I am loving this, so much better than the XIII monstrosities. My friend code is 055967765350 I added the last 15 in the list. And yeah, fuck the friend code system.

I am loving this, so much better than the XIII monstrosities. My friend code is 055967765350 I added the last 15 in the list. And yeah, fuck the friend code system.
You'll probably have more luck gettings folks from the NA thread, the game's friendlist works across the region anyway.

Beat the true ending

Kind of depressing, if bravely second wasn't going to continue the ending. Really wondering how much of the actual Tiz was involved in his own actions, the real Tiz seems to have some sort of presence because he was overly protective of Egil. Also Ringabel rejected through the whole story, don't think Edea really likes him.

Meier

Argh, had DeRosso down to 11k health (maybe one more round of attack) on my first attempt last night and was cruising along. Out of nowhere his attack killer 3 of us and then he killed my fourth on the next attack despite her being over 3,000 hp as well. :(

This was in Chapter 6 so I guess he was a little tougher than if I'd fought him earlier.

Diodiablo

Banned
Argh, had DeRosso down to 11k health (maybe one more round of attack) on my first attempt last night and was cruising along. Out of nowhere his attack killer 3 of us and then he killed my fourth on the next attack despite her being over 3,000 hp as well. :(

This was in Chapter 6 so I guess he was a little tougher than if I'd fought him earlier.

He hits hard, that's for sure, in Ch6 he is even stronger, but I think he killed your party with his Bonecrusher skill, which pretty much oneshots everyone is below 50% life,

Meier

Just realized I posted this in the "wrong" thread but ahh well!

He hits hard, that's for sure, in Ch6 he is even stronger, but I think he killed your party with his Bonecrusher skill, which pretty much oneshots everyone is below 50% life,

I'm pretty sure everyone was over 3,000 HP which is roughly 75%. Hard to say though. He killed 3 with Bonecrusher and then got the 4th with Graviga on the next move. I had stuff queued up with her so I couldn't have even somehow tried to get through it anyway. :(

ciD_Vain

I got this game through the B2G1 Target deal and just finished ALBW. I'm scared to start it because I feel like I don't have enough free time to fully enjoy what it offers :(

JCX

Just started this up, man I know if I can get into this, Im only a couple hours in and beat the first boss I guess, black mage. I dont have a good feel on when I should be using brave and default, feels like Im playing the game wrong, I know there's not really such a thing but any tips on that?

I had the same feeling. I think it's because the strategy doesn't really open up until you start gaining more abilities and classes.

JEKKI

dang nobody posted here in a while lol, and I'm still on chapter 4 =P

question! on ch.4 I just beat
De Rosso

anything I absolutely need to do now before moving on to ch.5?

dang nobody posted here in a while lol, and I'm still on chapter 4 =P

question! on ch.4 I just beat
De Rosso

anything I absolutely need to do now before moving on to ch.5?
Should be fun if you just beaten him, don't think anything more can be done on ch4 if you did that, except maybe get the easier genome abilities etc for the vampire class. That if you move to chapter 5 requires going through an extra dungeon.

Also probs best if you migrate to the NA thread, more alive than this thread lol:
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=764873

Link1110

OK, heavy spoilers but WTF at the musical reference here.

Here's the second to last boss music https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHeuR_bC9GM

listen to the section between 0:41 and 1:05. Sounds familiar, like a recurring riff from Zelda, but where does it play? Maybe this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6myU8hkztOo

Really? The FAIRY Fountain? Considering who the boss in question is, that's a pretty interesting musical reference. Pretty shocked to see them taking music from Zelda as a reference since it's not even a Square game.

Bladenic

Thinking about finally getting this game. Last checked it was 35 dollars on Amazon, has it ever been on sale? 35 isn't bad but my luck it'll drop in price in the coming months plus Bravely Second is still very far away from a Western release.

I recently picked this up. I'm loving it. Fantastic game, surprised it's fully voiced. I have a question though, is the game supposed to be hard? I found it kinda easy at first once I got a grasp of the battle system, however when I got to the Wind Crystal Boss he wrecked my shit, big time. I had to change some jobs, ended up using an OP Net Friend summon which did like 2k damage to each part of him, another summon with a great Rejuvenation. I tanked up all my characters, bought the best available gear for 3 of them as Knights because otherwise they were taking too much damage, used two Bravely Second points... and still just managed to win through brute force, I was barely surviving. Should I be grinding? The only time I turn off encounters is when leaving a dungeon or when scrounging a floor for a missed chest. I think everyone was around level 19 or so. The followup sub-quest boss fight in Anchiem was easy in comparison, probably because I switched Agnes to a White Mage primary and I could just heal through so much stuff. I dunno, the game seems oddly balanced. The victory against Orthos or whatever felt cheap. Now I'm in the Miasma Forest and these mushroom dudes man... jesus. It's very rarely I've spent all of my mana just healing up to now, to the point where I had to leave the dungeon half way through to resupply/sleep/save. So the difficulty seems up and down, it's hard to judge. Sometimes I feel OP using invigorate/stomp with two of my characters, just wiping out everything in one turn, then other times it's like... am I doing something wrong here? I've tried leveling up other classes but it seems like a party of Knight/Monk, Monk/Knight, Filler, White Mage/Whatever is the way to go.

Guess I missed the broat on this (I have 5 of broats). Anyway, I was looking around and I can't buy this anywhere. The Targets near me still have a slot for this on their shelves, but I doubt they'll be refilling them anytime soon. Amazon doesn't have any new copies at retail price and I don't really want to pay above. I could buy a code, but I'm thinking of upgrading my 3DS soon and don't want to even think about doing a system transfer because I'm lazy (and cheap).

What's the chance that Nintendo does another run as part of the leadup to the sequel?

So I ordered this on amazon and it has some weird white box on the cover I've never seen saying it also plays in french. I'm assuming this isn't a US copy? Is it some weird canadian thing?

Bladenic

I'm playing this game finally. Loving it in chapter 2, and I hate that they changed the subtitle from the Japanese "Flying Fairy"
aka Lying Airy.

edit: never mind, I just realized
Airy Lies

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I'm playing this game finally. Loving it in chapter 2, and I hate that they changed the subtitle from the Japanese "Flying Fairy"
aka Lying Airy.

It's more or less the same thing.
'As the Fairy Flies' turns into 'Airy Lies'

ajjow

Amazing game..... I just reached the chapter 6 and out of nowhere i said, fucked... I'll keep pressing x.... And then... Booommmmmm

Such an amazing game!

Exploded mind!

Tizoc

So I plan on starting this game soon anything I should keep in mind while playing like missable items or items I shouldnt sell and what classes I should focus on getting primarily?

Tizoc

Woah Normal is kinda tough.
I'm at the desert atm and thinking of reaching Lvl. 2 on the available classes before finishing the first side quest and progressing to the next dungeon.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I finally started playing this game last weekend. I've owned the game and its sequel for awhile but never sat down to play either. I just got the airship and I am heading for the Earth Crystal.

The last couple of bosses (Swordmaster, Ninja, the motherbrain thing) have been hard as fuck.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I found a good grinding spot right outside of Eternia before I go to the Earth Crystal. Not sure if I should try maxing out as many classes as I can now or wait (I think so far I maxed 3 or so per character).

I'm at the end of chapter 4 and I may have overdone the grind during commutes... Level 97. First near the town, then at the right of everlast tower, then
Vampire Castle
seems to be the best place to grind. Growth and Golden eggs are a must, though. I also sorta cheated that during Xmas I left the console suspended to get More details rebuilt early in the game and have access to the cool weapons early on.

That level made me remember that nemesis exists. I have never looked at them because all of them were always 99. The thing is, Was it always like this or originally they had lower levels. Maybe they have been travelling so much between players that they go up in level?

I'm trying to find how to go beyond 9999 damage, as some internet friends reach 24,000 damage already. I have heard it has something to do with Bravely Second. The game or the extra turns pay to win system?

It's been almost one year trying to beat the game. I'm not sure if I like it or hate it, but it's similar to Persona. I can enjoy it for one or two weeks and then I get so much burnout that I will drop it again for one or two months.

BTE, if somebody is playing it and having trouble, add me as a friend. I have a lot of mastered classes to share through abilink.

0362-0701-5440

I just bought the collectors edition of this for $40 used, excited to finally get to play this game, first game to play on the my shiny new 2DSXL. Crazy how expensive this game is

BTE, if somebody is playing it and having trouble, add me as a friend. I have a lot of mastered classes to share through abilink.

0362-0701-5440

Will definitely do this when the game arrives

Top Bottom