• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Second: End Layer |OT| Those Thighs, Good Gravy! [out now in NA]

I thought that the first game went a little overboard with the grandiose dialogue at times, but in this game they're not even trying to be subtle - they have completely crossed over to nobody-talks-like-this land.

I mean: (remember this is like common everyday speech)

"The stalwart aurochs, likewise serving the crystal orthodoxy. Stout of mind and unbending in will, Nikolai Nikolanikov stands before you!"

wtf who says this lol

The Kaiser does this as well. I love how it cuts to the ominous bad guy music everytime he gets a scene and then you have lines like "You dare defy me, your Kaiser?"

It's so over the top I assume everything is tongue-in-cheek and I love the developers for it.

Also it might just be me being nitpicky, and I haven't tried playing the game with headphones on, but the English voices of Edea and Magnolia have a weird way of saying "s". It sounds slightly jarring as if the quality of the recording was not good. Maybe it's just me, everyone else sounds fine.

Soulflarz

Banned
Everything in this game is self aware
LOOK AT THE NAMES

Braev Lee (brave-ly)
Edea Lee (idea-ly)
Tiz Arrior (tiz'warrior, or such)
yew genealogia
GET IT GUYS. IT'S A SPOILER JOKE. ha
Agnès Oblige (this one is actually just two words but whatever)
Ringab-pftttt
->Scholmes<-

Basically take nothing in BD seriously at any given point :V
Hell, the original game has a bunch of 2ch references!

But yeah, weird writing style is way down the list of "uh" things :p

edit: anyone need any Ablinks? should I sync my save back up? Lots of 10s

Soulflarz

Banned
lolpls that's more than enough
i beat the game ~30 levels less than that haha

Tbf I was playing smash with friends and it took no effort to hit L while level grinding :p

I broke the game, beat everything in the final areas (boss wise) in under 10s flat of real time because of the strat a page back.

THAT ENDING THOUGH

edit
wait
THAT RIFT

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Is it just me, or are the old jobs just plain better than the new jobs (aside from Tomahawk?) At the end of Chapter 2 now. Bishop seems like it's just another White Mage, for example.

Wagram

Soo I hit the plot twist at the
end of Chapter 4/Start of 5
and i'm a little confused. It seems like
Anne was using the Kaiser, and she had him going on a never ending loop back in time to grab Agnes, make the crystals go amok, send the moon through time, and then send him into the past (i'm assuming to start the cycle over endlessly?) What I don't understand is Agnes being in a dark empty space time like area that she discussed. In addition, in the past Yew DIDN'T have the hourglass at this point so how could he have done Bravely Second? He obtained it when Magnolia crashed.
Either this is a MASSIVE plot hole or I simply am missing something. Maybe I need to play more, but if anyone could clarify for me that would be nice. Just don't spoil future events.

spiritfox

Soo I hit the plot twist at the
end of Chapter 4/Start of 5
and i'm a little confused. It seems like
Anne was using the Kaiser, and she had him going on a never ending loop back in time to grab Agnes, make the crystals go amok, send the moon through time, and then send him into the past (i'm assuming to start the cycle over endlessly?) What I don't understand is Agnes being in a dark empty space time like area that she discussed. In addition, in the past Yew DIDN'T have the hourglass at this point so how could he have done Bravely Second? He obtained it when Magnolia crashed.
Either this is a MASSIVE plot hole or I simply am missing something. Maybe I need to play more, but if anyone could clarify for me that would be nice. Just don't spoil future events.

Not really. It'll be discussed later.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Had no idea this released! After the success of the first game, I expected more care and support for the marketing muscle behind the sequel...

GAF consensus so far? I dug out my dormant save from the first game and want yo finish it before jumping in, but just am curious what the response is.

Is it just me, or are the old jobs just plain better than the new jobs (aside from Tomahawk?) At the end of Chapter 2 now. Bishop seems like it's just another White Mage, for example.

not really... both old & new synergize with one another. even if there's 2 job that core function are similar, they are a bit different. for example bishop healing is percentage based, white mage is mind based. in some situation one is better than another
wizard's damage alone is lamer than black mage even though it covers wider element, but its utility is the best ever (spellcraft)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've got mixed feelings on the new jobs, but I'm only just starting chapter 2.

Wizard is great because of spellcraft.
Bishop is plenty solid because it's basically a white mage.
Charioteer is neat, but mostly because of the passives. Trample is cool too.
Fencer is alright when you are using the job, but it doesn't really offer anything to other jobs.
Astrologier is just a buff machine with some passives that look like they should be good later.
Catmancer seems blah. Catnip seems good, but that's about it. Catmancy is like a combination of chemist and blue magic, but worse than both unless the enemy abilities you get are just really good.

Bishop's big advantage is that healing is fixed to percentage. Which means you can give it a Charioteer or Fencer and they can still fill in the healing needed.

On my second run, I just used the new jobs and they were awesome.

Wizard is great early-game because of its wide coverage and Spellcraft continues to be amazing, becoming absolutely OP during endgame.

Charioteer was the "meh" job for me, but you want to stay it in for a bit to get Physical Attack 20% Up. Triple Wield and Quad Wield sound fun, but I could never find a use for a physical glass cannon.

Fencer is really solid once you can alternate between Wolf Fang and Goring Aurochs. What's not to like about a job that can buff itself and attack at the same time?

Bishop is kind of weak at the start, but still useful since healing power isn't dependent on stats. Later, it becomes really good as the spells consistently heal 50% and 100% HP.

Astrologian can seem unnecessary early on, but later you'll really want them since they can reflect elemental physical attacks, nullify elemental attacks and nullify status ailments.

Catmancer was OK, but too high maintenance for me. It's not hard to find catfood (especially by spamming Dig), but I was just too lazy most of the time.

Patissier can turn characters into
ghosts
, which is amazing for cheesing most bosses. Their debuffs are fun too, but again I was too lazy to gather ingredients to use them.

Brakke

Banned
Yeah I basically ignored cat and cupcake jobs. I got a cat high enough for Learning and Mastery, just because I liked getting all the moves. But I had no interest in keeping up with the maintenance on the materials.

I have a question that's been bothering me for a long time. There appears to be a way to "merge" basic Wizard spells. Like if I pick Lightning X4 with Yew, he'll cast two spells: Lightning-Lightning and Lightning-Lightning. In this way I can also do Lightning-Lightning-Dart for a stronger version of the spell that casts 3 BP. However, I can't get this merge to happen when casting from Magnolia. Sometimes she'll take Lightning X2, Dart and then cast Lightning-Dart, Lightning. It's super wierd. Anybody know how to make the merge happen?

Heropon

I have a question that's been bothering me for a long time. There appears to be a way to "merge" basic Wizard spells. Like if I pick Lightning X4 with Yew, he'll cast two spells: Lightning-Lightning and Lightning-Lightning. In this way I can also do Lightning-Lightning-Dart for a stronger version of the spell that casts 3 BP. However, I can't get this merge to happen when casting from Magnolia. Sometimes she'll take Lightning X2, Dart and then cast Lightning-Dart, Lightning. It's super wierd. Anybody know how to make the merge happen?

That's caused by the Bishop's default support skill, Good Measure.

Yeah I basically ignored cat and cupcake jobs. I got a cat high enough for Learning and Mastery, just because I liked getting all the moves. But I had no interest in keeping up with the maintenance on the materials.

were you using good measure or whatever that bishop default support skill? since spellcraft will combine base magic with extension only & not 2x base magic

Brakke

Banned
Ohhh that explains it. I thought that was just going to boost effectiveness if you focus the same target multiple times, didn't realize that was making the merge happen. Thanks folks.

Some of these jobs feel straight up pointless. Swordsman and Guardian serve no purpose, as does
Kaiser
besides passive stuff for maybe Swordsman.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Alternis is a straight up G in this game, best character

Rizzi

I want to play this, but after the bed shitting that Bravely Default does I'm apprehensive.
Please tell me it doesn't do that.

jschreier

Anyone got any tips for beating
Janne in the Fire Temple? He just switches to Aurochs stance and counters every attack with an instakill. Feels almost bugged because he won't switch to anything else. Should I just go full wizards?

SolVanderlyn

Janne in the Fire Temple? He just switches to Aurochs stance and counters every attack with an instakill. Feels almost bugged because he won't switch to anything else. Should I just go full wizards?
Don't brave, or he'll destroy you with multiple counters. It takes a while, but heal every turn and you should be able to get him down eventually. He also switches stances when you hurt him enough.

Brakke

Banned
Don't brave, or he'll destroy you with multiple counters. It takes a while, but heal every turn and you should be able to get him down eventually. He also switches stances when you hurt him enough.

If you have a Cura/da Mist up, your fighters can probably do one attack per turn and then auto-heal the counter damage?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

I ran into that problem when I didn't have any offensive magic against him. Using magic got him to change stances. I had two Tomahawks and just unloaded 8 Tramples on him on turn 1, and then 8 more once my BP was restored since he had changed to wolf. Doing that plus some magic damage inbetween was enough to take him out.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I hate how dialogue during fights revives characters. I set up a revive but completely waste the turn, BP, and MP because the characters start talking and it sets them to 1HP.

Everything in this game is self aware
Basically take nothing in BD seriously at any given point :V
Hell, the original game has a bunch of 2ch references!

Tbh, thats actually a reason why I do not enjoy the series as much as old school final fantasy, even moreso on Bravely Second. The game doesn't take itself seriously contrary to what this series is supposed to represent in Final Fantasy's legacy. There were a few cool plot twists and serious moments in BD, but Second seems to just goof off 24/7. I was thrown for a loop on it too, considering the secret video in BD set up a darker mood for BS. So, I was definitely disappointed by that aspect.

Rizzi

Two of the prologue party members don't gain experience or jp.
They're going to die soon aren't they?

spiritfox

Finished the game. That was meta.
With this and Undertale, I hope there comes more games and play with the game's 4th wall like this.

I'm kinda torn about this game. I love BD's battle system, so it's no surprise that I love the battle system in BS too. The new classes are great, and Spellcasting is the best idea I want to see in all RPGs in the future. But it also lacks a lot of things. New thing specifically. There is this feeling I keep getting while playing this game, that I'm playing a BD 1.5, an expansion pack to the first game. It does not help that half your party are returning characters. The best part of the soundtracks are the returning tracks. Sorry Ryo, but Revo is a hard act to follow. Still, some tracks are nice, like the
Sapp and Piddler fights
and the Ba'al battle. Also, the anime is strong with this one.

I would still recommend to those who enjoy a good JRPG with interesting mechanics. I hope they can carry this system forward to more games.

Tbh, thats actually a reason why I do not enjoy the series as much as old school final fantasy, even moreso on Bravely Second. The game doesn't take itself seriously contrary to what this series is supposed to represent in Final Fantasy's legacy. There were a few cool plot twists and serious moments in BD, but Second seems to just goof off 24/7. I was thrown for a loop on it too, considering the secret video in BD set up a darker mood for BS. So, I was definitely disappointed by that aspect.

I was mostly okay with the jokes until I got to Al-Khampis and the game made a whole bunch of Ba'al jokes in a row; that was the tipping point for me, plus I can't stand the way that catmancer girl talks.

I went ahead and added a bunch of people. My FC is 3196-3311-0332.

Just got to Al-Khampis as well, after the betrayalton of
Janne & Nikolai
and after 4-5 failed attempts at defeating them with a level 7 & shitty build setup group.

The catgirl is even worse in the Japanese version, she adds nyan~ to the end of every sentence.

Wagram

Finally made it to
Chapter VI
. Some of the plot questions have been resolved, but i'm still waiting for them to explain how
Yew had the hourglass at the beginning of the game.
Also,
Diamante
was an interesting boss.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I was going to say, reading the Catmancer's dialogue was annoying, but I forgot this game had voice acting (I turned it off immediately). That must have been extremely grating.

Brakke

Banned
Do you guys think the writers of this game even know what a "coup de grace" is? It's kinda fucked up how Yew's taken that as his rallying cry. It's not a particularly inspirational concept...

Got to "NG+" today. A few things: 1) what the heck happens if you don't solve the "puzzle" of NG+? Can you end up just straight replaying the game or does it force you to figure out what's up? 2) holyyyyy shiiiiiit some of the gear at Chompshire is expensive as fuuuuuuck. 3) I'm kind of disappointed with the Sidequests. I made all the decisions I *wanted* to get in NG but now the ones I don't like are going to be "canonical"? Good thing it doesn't matter at all.

knkng

Do you guys think the writers of this game even know what a "coup de grace" is? It's kinda fucked up how Yew's taken that as his rallying cry. It's not a particularly inspirational concept...

Got to "NG+" today. A few things: 1) what the heck happens if you don't solve the "puzzle" of NG+? Can you end up just straight replaying the game or does it force you to figure out what's up? 2) holyyyyy shiiiiiit some of the gear at Chompshire is expensive as fuuuuuuck. 3) I'm kind of disappointed with the Sidequests. I made all the decisions I *wanted* to get in NG but now the ones I don't like are going to be "canonical"? Good thing it doesn't matter at all.

Yeah, it was pretty funny after NG+ where they have me directly teaming up with Alternis and Kamiizumi for the primary storyline, and then I just wander over and straight-up betray them in the side missions, lol.

I hate how dialogue during fights revives characters. I set up a revive but completely waste the turn, BP, and MP because the characters start talking and it sets them to 1HP.

I was more bothered that the dialogue would always seem to trigger right after I start my Special Moves, completely wasting all my stat boosts.

Top Bottom