• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bravely Second: End Layer |OT| Those Thighs, Good Gravy! [out now in NA]

Infinite

I just finished this game last night and clocked in at about 80 hours. This is EASILY the best 3DS RPG out right now. Love this game

Weiss

Banned
I finally beat the final boss last night. I think that has to be one of the most memorable fights in an RPG.

As much as I liked the first game, I definitely love the second game more. I love the punny names of some characters, the random conversations about food, and the general story of the game is more enjoyable.

A good portion of Default, I felt like it was a chore to play. in Second, it feels like the story is constantly progressing. I saw reviews of people complaining that Second was too much like the first game. I feel like they took what I enjoyed about the first game and improved on their mistakes.

Memorable moments from some of the boss fights:
Not knowing Braev was going to regen his health. I used an SP and braved twice. My first attack made him regen, my 2nd attack made him regen a 2nd time, and my 3rd attack killed him. Complete luck.

I used an SP and accidentally killed Anne before she could attack (147k dmg special)

I loved the 4th wall breaking in the final battle.

Yeah, Second is really a huge improvement over the first in every way except for the music. The emphasis on humour and pun names was, at first, something I was really apprehensive of, but as time went on I just got into it and it gave the game a lot more of its own identity.

Like, in Default the Jobmasters were a bunch of raging psychopaths, and later developments made them quirky and weird and friendly without really trying to jell with their earlier actions. Second begins with the new Jobmasters being far more nuanced and interesting, giving them both funny moments and genuinely dark actions that made you hate them. Then later
we get into the time loop, where Yew actively goes out of his way to avoid killing them because now he knows that they're all, by and large, damaged people who were hurt by the Crystalguard and the Orthodoxy, and he wants to atone and help them. That's a level of blinding optimism I last saw in Undertale and could easily have come off extremely cringy and uninteresting the way a lot of other similar JRPGs do, but Second's unwavering idealism and clever implementation of meta aspects made it shine.

Weiss

Banned
Oh. Awesome. Now my fucking 3DS won't turn on.

This is just the fucking best.

EDIT: I took it to my local game shop and the dude literally just turned it on and it's worked since.

wat

hampig

I've been reading Bravely Default is vastly inferior to Bravely Second lately. I really want to play one of them, but with the time I have available, I'm unsure if I'll be able to finish both before even Persona 5 comes out next year. Is it possible to skip the first to play the second if I just want the best from the series?

Weiss

Banned
I've been reading Bravely Default is vastly inferior to Bravely Second lately. I really want to play one of them, but with the time I have available, I'm unsure if I'll be able to finish both before even Persona 5 comes out next year. Is it possible to skip the first to play the second if I just want the best from the series?

what have i done

Default is good, it's just flawed in a lot of ways we overlooked because at the time we were starved for a proper Final Fantasy.

It's a must-play if you're going to get into Second, as a lot of the emotional impact comes from seeing how the world and characters progressed since Default.

Shepard

Play default first, rush through the later half of the game, play the superior sequel. Doesn't feel right to play second without playing default.

You could play Bravely Second first like some people here did, but then playing Default would be a downgrade on all aspects (including music - I'm quite fond of the OST).

You get filled in on the relevant story bits of BD in Second so it's not like you would be lost.

Ranmo

I totally agree that you don't really need to play Default in order to enjoy Second. However I would highly recommend doing so. Even with its major flaws.

Even if time is limited. That just means you have a lot of stuff to keep you busy with if you play both!

Just reference a guide if you need help with rushing the latter portion of Default. Hell, I'd say even just play the first half and look the rest of it up if you had to.

you can't really say bravely default is downgrade in all aspect (personal bias included) when bravely second is obviously piss easier compared to its prequel.... heck it is even easier than the vanilla bravely default (jp only exclusive)

edit: forget that flying fairy doesn't have difficulty option unlike for the sequel/western ver., but eh pretty sure i ended up having more trouble in that one compared to second hard mode

Weiss

Banned
fffffffffffffffffff the final Asterisk sidequest is amazing.

Massive amounts of world building exposition, a genuinely interesting antagonist, a new job, and RINGABEL.

fffffffffffffffffff the final Asterisk sidequest is amazing.

Massive amounts of world building exposition, a genuinely interesting antagonist, a new job, and RINGABEL.

yeah, that was one of my favorite parts of the game. I ended up going to bed 2 hours late that night because of that sidequest.

Weiss

Banned
Finished it this morning.
Finale was a bit cheesy but all the 4th wall breaking was awesome and a massive improvement over Bravely Default in nearly every way. My only real problem with the story is that Magnolia and Yew's romance feels underdeveloped. They had a handful of really cute, touching scenes, but it could have gone through more. Tiz and Agnes had more of the same but I was kind of used to it by now.

Edea remains the best character ever and
the prospect of a sequel focusing on Ringabel has me so excited.

EDIT: Cleared out the bonus dungeons.
Ended up going with the Ghost Yokai strategy, sooo beating the Adventurer wasn't that rewarding for me. I still died a few times, though.

In hindsight, I think one of the biggest problems with the game is that Magnolia is a really underdeveloped character. I think, on some level, it would have been better for her to be the protagonist instead of Yew, like we were thinking at first.

Dr. Buni

Decided to buy this because I loved Default. Aside from the hideous costumes they gave Edea and Magnolia and the lack of new songs composed by Revo, I am enjoying the game. I am really liking Yew, he is adorable and Magnolia is nice too (hope she doesn't end up being a villain, like
Janne and Nikolai
).

Also the new asterisk boss theme is damn good. Not as good as "That person's name is/He of the name", of course, but still great.

(going against the comments on the first page, I found the OT title to be atrocious btw)

Hey guys, I hope I'm not out of line asking for help for the first game in this thread.

In chapter 5 of Bravely Default,
I decided to do all sidequests before awekening the crystals. I just defeated Victor and Victoria and I see that the blue icon still shows up on the map, with the other blue icon being Lord DeRosso.

Picture for reference https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/WVW69jVbRKojSNoJDl

What and how do I access the blue icon? I searched everywhere in that building and I don't see any markers in the map. Also, where do I find Kamiizumi after defeating Qada?

Hey guys, I hope I'm not out of line asking for help for the first game in this thread.

In chapter 5 of Bravely Default,
I decided to do all sidequests before awekening the crystals. I just defeated Victor and Victoria and I see that the blue icon still shows up on the map, with the other blue icon being Lord DeRosso.

Picture for reference https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/WVW69jVbRKojSNoJDl

What and how do I access the blue icon? I searched everywhere in that building and I don't see any markers in the map. Also, where do I find Kamiizumi after defeating Qada?

Have you
defeated Braev Lee?

Edit:
Kamiizumi should be in the Starkfort like Qada, just on a different room, if memory doesn't fail me.

I don't think I like what they've done with Edea in the sequel. In BD she was this dynamic and badass girl that didn't put up with anyone's shit, especially Ringabel's. Far and away the best character. In this game they make her throw temper tantrums, cry and act childishly most of the time, feels kind of out of character. Also her likeness to food has been intensified fivefold or something.

Right now I'm somewhere in chapter 2, I presume in the dungeon before fighting Aimee. Didn't buy anything from Hartschild and now everyone is gone so I can't get new equipment. Sucks :mad:

I don't think I like what they've done with Edea in the sequel. In BD she was this dynamic and badass girl that didn't put up with anyone's shit, especially Ringabel's. Far and away the best character. In this game they make her throw temper tantrums, cry and act childishly most of the time, feels kind of out of character. Also her likeness to food has been intensified fivefold or something.

Right now I'm somewhere in chapter 2, I presume in the dungeon before fighting Aimee. Didn't buy anything from Hartschild and now everyone is gone so I can't get new equipment. Sucks :mad:

Come back at night.

PK Gaming

Good gravy, this game is super good so far.

The refinements/additions to gameplay are one thing, but even the story and characters seem a lot better here than in BD. Bravely Second has this whimsical, lighthearted fantasy type feel that makes a joy to play through. The actual journey is very good as well; one minute you're on a rescue mission, the next you're chilling in Al-Khampus, solving water shortages and eating noodles. The best part, is the fact that the game never really take itself too serious. Like the Kaiser is about as cliched as you can get, but the game doesn't even refrain from cracking a few jokes at his expense.

Also Yew is straight up one of the best SE protagonists in a long way. He is a non-stop cavalcade of entertainment, a huge contrast from Tiz (who is actually a great character, now that he's assumed the role of a big brother type)

Overall, Bravely Second feels like a better spiritual successor to FF5 than BD.

Come back at night.

Thanks, should have been more careful lol

Aimee is down, thank god cause her terrible fake accent was the most forced thing in existence after conan o' brien's show.

In Yunohana now and the game seems to be taking longer than the previous one. I'm nearing 30 hours and still on Chapter 2, whereas by the 30 hour mark in the previous game I think I was finishing up Chapter 3. A lot of time is spent on fighting (and losing to) bosses though.

Andyliini

I beat the game last week. It was a great experience, loved every second of it. It just bothers me that during the game, the game froze on me four times, twice during the final boss. All the freezings happened during a battle, so there must be something about them.

Did anyone else experience them, or could my card be defective?

Ranmo

I beat the game last week. It was a great experience, loved every second of it. It just bothers me that during the game, the game froze on me four times, twice during the final boss. All the freezings happened during a battle, so there must be something about them.

Did anyone else experience them, or could my card be defective?

It might be the card. My experience was as smooth as gravy. I also have a physical cart.

MiTYH

Finally picked this up. Enjoyed the first but had the usual slog in the second half.

How important is the free demo? Haven't played it, not sure if it's worth it of if it's repeated in the main game.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
It might be the card. My experience was as smooth as gravy. I also have a physical cart.

No freezes here either.

Finally picked this up. Enjoyed the first but had the usual slog in the second half.

How important is the free demo? Haven't played it, not sure if it's worth it of if it's repeated in the main game.

It's a pretty good demo. The rewards aren't worth it, but I'd say the story of the demo adds to the actual game's story in a decent, somewhat interesting way.

It pains me to see this thread left to die every so often, the game deserves better than this. I'm sure others are playing along though.

I found a funny bit, I'm in [Chapter 2] the caves where I'm supposed to find Yoko, in the 3BP area. I have autosave on and every time I would get a random encounter at the exact same spot, with the exact same kind and # of enemies (Zombie Skulls?) and they would attack in the same exact pattern every time. They would first wipe out Yew then the rest of my party since he's my designated heavy hitter. This went on for like 5-6 loops.

I'm now presumably at the end of the caves and
Yoko transformed into a big white fox thing.

Edit 1:
And Alternis rushed in!

Edit 2:
#fail

Maxinas

It pains me to see this thread left to die every so often, the game deserves better than this. I'm sure others are playing along though.

It's a good sequel to a great game, unfortunately "that portion" of Bravely Default really turned people off from the franchise as a whole. I really wonder if a Bravely Third, or a whole different game based off the Bravely/Default system is possible sometime in the future; would be great to see Square Enix give it the love it deserves considering it's one of their more successful new franchises in recent years.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I kinda put this game aside when I went on vacation and never got back to it. I think I'm at the end of chapter 2/beginning of chapter 3 since it's the same place themagicalkitsune mentioned.

After I finish this last FFV run I'll probably come back and finish this game. I was enjoying it but I recall feeling like the early jobs/abilities didn't have a lot of synergy and that made the game a bit bland to play in comparison to FFV or BD.

Exentryk

I'm looking forward to Bravely Third. Will probably see it late next year or is that too early? Mid 2018 would be more likely, but not sure if the 3DS will still be as relevant then.

depward

So I want to play this.

Problem is - bought a physical copy (before going all digital), played 25 hours of BD1, traded it in due to, well, everyone knows.

Now it's like do I want to replay that + more? Or go straight into BS?

Decisions, decisions..

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking forward to Bravely Third. Will probably see it late next year or is that too early? Mid 2018 would be more likely, but not sure if the 3DS will still be as relevant then.

Was Second successful enough to warrant a third game? Honestly have no idea how it did (in Japan or elsewhere).

Azuardo

Right, I hate to be that guy, but I shelved this after getting stuck on the final bosses, but really want to put this to bed in the fastest and easiest way possible. Are there any cheap tactics I can use to fly through the end bosses? I'm level 90/91, but I haven't done any asterisk hunting, from what I remember, so job options might be limited. But if there are any recommendations as a whole on easy ways to deal with the final bosses, let me know and I'll see if I'm equipped to do so.

Just about to hit the sack, but I can check my game in the morning if you want any info on what jobs etc I have. Just a quick and dirty one on the off-chance there are some known tricks out there. Otherwise I'll do a proper online search in the morning. Thanks all.

Was Second successful enough to warrant a third game? Honestly have no idea how it did (in Japan or elsewhere).
kinda doubt it tbh. sales is at least quite low when you compared with the 1st game.
Right, I hate to be that guy, but I shelved this after getting stuck on the final bosses, but really want to put this to bed in the fastest and easiest way possible. Are there any cheap tactics I can use to fly through the end bosses? I'm level 90/91, but I haven't done any asterisk hunting, from what I remember, so job options might be limited. But if there are any recommendations as a whole on easy ways to deal with the final bosses, let me know and I'll see if I'm equipped to do so.

Just about to hit the sack, but I can check my game in the morning if you want any info on what jobs etc I have. Just a quick and dirty one on the off-chance there are some known tricks out there. Otherwise I'll do a proper online search in the morning. Thanks all.
easiest would be 4x time mage + wizard combo. meteor rain spam + relevant deathblow that can boost your magic hopefully to point where each meteor hit = 9999. but that is a bit risky because a simple mistake = wipe (but you're at 90-91 level, probably will survive).
I used that + 4x rod equip at lower than dungeon recommended level in hard mode
a better version is to mix up things. Exentryk did a post somewhere in this thread about the setup. have a look at it

Azuardo

This one?

Yeah, I've had to go and get the time mage asterisk, and now working on the yokai one.

Signal recieved!!! I actually wrote out the combo on gamefaqs, so just going to copy paste that:

3x Yokai/Time Mage [In Ghost Status] ---- (Use Meteor x4)
- Chainspell
- MP Free in Pinch
- Full Charge

1x Yokai/Time Mage ---- (Use Meteor x3, Rain)
- Spellcraft
- Ventriloquism

(320,000 x 3) + 120,000 = 1,080,000 damage (+ Echo bonus damage)

You can tweak that 1x Yokai/Time Mage to something else depending on user requirements. Like you might need a defensive move in there to survive an attack or something. A Guardian with Dual Shields, Limit Break, Purrfect Stance and a bunch of defensive/undo abilities is a good all purpose tank.
Anyway, to see this set up in action, check out the video below that shows beating the Firstborn Ba'al (1,125,000 HP) in one turn on hard mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFlQGjINCkU

seeing this thread pop back up a day after I finished the game just though I would post about the ending

ENDING SPOILERS
So the final boss gets mad at me for helping the party fight so she tries to delete my saves, but Yew cuts through the delete menu and uses the letters from the title screen to revert back to the fight. Final boss goes down but Tiz is about to go comatose again until the save point shows up, who also happens to be the narrator, and helps save tiz.

This was the biggest what the fuck since Psycho Mantis, and I loved it.

Also happy endings for Tiz/Agnes and Magnolia/Yew were nice.

Also I was 78 when beat the final boss and didnt find her to be very hard on normal. I was just using 3 damage classes and a healer with spellcraft. Pretty irrelevant composition actually. I just Subbed Pirate for all the damage dealers, put up Curaga mist, defaulted up, and spammed shell split > double damage x 11

If the first form of the boss is giving you trouble, Arise mist(or bishop equivalent) and Calm make that fight really easy

Azuardo

Part of my problem is not knowing which jobs these abilities come from. I've literally done next to no asterisk side quests, so I'm now having to run around to get the ones it sounds like I need to give me an easier ride.

I'm only just learning about LV11 abilities too, which you need Yokai for, so I'm having to make sure I get that anyway, altho not sure any LV11 abils are needed for final boss.

I also did the swordmaster/summoner choice, and sided against Kamiizumi to get the swordmaster asterisk, but turns out I already had that one? So I was proper confused about that.

Edit: Think I've got the jobs I need now. Just need to beat Leviathan to get Envy... and I think I can hopefully try this trick out.

Azuardo

Okay, hammered the final boss with the Meteor Rain tactics. Glad to have put that to bed at last.

So, the ending:

Magnolia just fired the rocket unmanned back up to space on auto-pilot or something? Can't be any other explanation behind that, can there?

Reached Chapter 3 yesterday. I enjoyed the end boss of Chapter 2, it was actually a surprise and a pretty difficult fight. Also Sapp & Piddler may be the best written goofy characters in the game - and the game has enough goofy moments as is. The sidequests of 2 wore me out, they seemed to drag on far longer than the ones in the previous chapter.

Near Florem now and enemies seem way too tough for my level 30ish group.

I started to work on Ba'al Busting and had a few ships target a level 35 Ba'al. I figured I should bring it down to level 30 so I can have an easier time when I do fight it. I confronted the Ba'al and saw that its defenses were in the two thousands. I ran away.

I need help fighting off Ba'als and would like to exchange friend codes. My ship is white and here is my friend code:

1564 3161 8478

I'm in chapter two and just finished the first sidequest that popped up. Thanks in advance

Okamid3n

I just beat the final boss, what an awesome game! I thought everything was much better than in the first game, and I loved the first game. The writing, especially, was much better this time around, as far as I'm concerned. And then there are all those QoL improvements...so good.

To my delight, after I thought I was done with the game, not only do I find out there are multiple extra dungeons, but I also missed out on one asterisk sidequest. Nice! More stuff to enjoy.

Emu-Fred

Banned
Just finished Bravely Second. One of the greatest JRPGS I've played on 3ds.

Have 1 thing to say about gameplay

Spellcraft.

Motherf*ckin Spellcraft, that was a game changer, finding out it can affect other abilities

That moment when you have to make a new Game + and use Bravely Second to properly fight the Kaiser, I think that was the coolest moment in this game, As for the final Boss, I don't want to say they pulled an Undertale, because they had this type of meta setting way before the game came out, but it felt very similar. Also wasn't expecting time traveling adventurer.

I wasn't expecting the hook for another sequel, but it make sense with some questions unanswered.

Silicon Knight, the 3rd game better be good (if it does happen), or else you're opening themselves up with the game getting called "Bravely Turd"

Andyliini

Silicon Knight, the 3rd game better be good (if it does happen), or else you're opening themselves up with the game getting called "Bravely Turd"

You mean Silicon Studio, right? Silicon Knights was something else completely.

The low sales of this game make me sad, as it's a better game that it's predecessor in every way. If a third one is announced for NX, I hope it looks more like those pre-rendered cutscenes in this game, as those look awesome.

jorgejjvr

Hey guys in the sagitta place... With that place where it warns you to get potions, buy items and save..... Is there no opportunity to get out of there to level up and get items ready?

The game itself advises to do so, but I have no idea how to get out of there to get ready for the fight, I don't think I'm ready

Any advises for that boss fight will help too.... Undo...

jorgejjvr

Hey guys in the sagitta place... With that place where it warns you to get potions, buy items and save..... Is there no opportunity to get out of there to level up and get items ready?

The game itself advises to do so, but I have no idea how to get out of there to get ready for the fight, I don't think I'm ready

Any advises for that boss fight will help too.... Undo...
Anyone? I would really appreciate it

tbh I can't really remember at that part but I'm sure they don't just lock you out of other stuff so you can still go out from the place & grind/prepare if you want.
as for the boss, just don't go all out for a turn and stall for the next few turns. having big damage getting undo is annoying.

jorgejjvr

tbh I can't really remember at that part but I'm sure they don't just lock you out of other stuff so you can still go out from the place & grind/prepare if you want.
as for the boss, just don't go all out for a turn and stall for the next few turns. having big damage getting undo is annoying.
Yeah turns out you can walk around him lol thought I was forced to talking to him

So I finally finished BD and was wanting to pick this up sometime later. Does it suffer at all the same issue as BD? The second half was a slog and a half. Basically how does this game stack up to the original? Better in every way? Or does it do some things better and some worse?

Top Bottom