• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Break me off a piece of that: Android 4.4 KItKat officially released

Status
Not open for further replies.

verbum

Sorry if this has been talked about but with Nexus 7 they mean the 2012 & 2013 model?

The very first device to run Android 4.4 is the new Nexus 5, available today on Google Play, and coming soon to other retail outlets. We’ll also be rolling out the Android 4.4 update worldwide in the next few weeks to all Nexus 4, Nexus 7, and Nexus 10 devices, as well as the Samsung Galaxy S4 and HTC One Google Play Edition devices.

From Android-Developers blog.

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/

gutshot

Motorola will update Moto X and Droid Ultra, Maxx, and Mini to Android 4.4 - The Verge

HTC moved aggressively to assure customers that its flagship HTC One will see Android 4.4 upgrades in short order. Now, Motorola is following suit. If you have a Moto X on any major US carrier, or a Droid Ultra, Maxx, or Mini on Verizon, you should see an update to Android KitKat at some point in the future, according to Motorola's upgrade website.

Motorola's not committing to any particular timeframe, so it's not clear how long those updates might take, but Motorola VP Punit Soni hints that it might not take as long as previous rollouts. "Rest assured, we are on it," he told followers on his Google+ page. "You have seen the speed with which we are moving as a Google company, that shall continue."

Xdrive05

Just got an update on my s4. What is it?

Edit. Updated to 4.3. Looks the same.

Same here. The fonts on the browser and keypad look different. That's all I can tell so far.

About that TRIM comment a few posts up, does that go for OTA updates to version 4.3, or only 4.3 clean installs?

vio

Same here. The fonts on the browser and keypad look different. That's all I can tell so far.

About that TRIM comment a few posts up, does that go for OTA updates to version 4.3, or only 4.3 clean installs?

I don`t know, clean installed here using slimbean 4.3 rom. Nexus S didn`t get official update.

No news for S3 , more specifically the SC-06D makes me sad. I figure Samsung wants their users to buy S4s. Next time I get a phone I'll avoid getting funky Japanese special versions that have next to no custom ROM support. I'll be stuck on 4.1 officially forever. Thanks DoCoMo. Blah.

I do however like that most of the apks the OP shared worked outside the calendar, dialer, and contacts. I am really digging the new vanilla 4.4 home screen. Thanks!

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Kind of annoyed that Hangouts doesn't merge SMS and Hangout threads into one. I mean yeah, you can toggle between both from inside the thread - but it hasn't made it that way for every contact I have, only some.

Kind of annoyed that Hangouts doesn't merge SMS and Hangout threads into one. I mean yeah, you can toggle between both from inside the thread - but it hasn't made it that way for every contact I have, only some.
Are they "linked" or combined in your contacts app? Make sure of that.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Are they "linked" or combined in your contacts app? Make sure of that.

Just went through that process. I did so in Gmail actually, trying in the Samsung contact list sucks ... lol.

What I meant was though in the actually thread list, it doesn't combine the two. I can still see person A's thread from hangouts and person A's thread from SMS, but when I click either I can toggle between each inside the thread. I was hoping it'd just have one thread in the list and the toggle option inside the thread.

I don't know if that makes sense ... but lol. I'm just waiting until I get my N5 anyway.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I think we (as in Germany) don't even have the general features of GNow yet, and they're adding even more stuff :( Wonder when this software will actually be properly usable over here.
Edit: I take this back! I just saw a video regarding this and Google actually managed to sneak a lot of functionality in without me even noticing

Anyone with Kitkat on their device, can you tell me how the media controls on the lockscreen have changed?
Edit: Saw the video from the previous page, looks awesome :)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
My Nexus 7 seems to have gotten an update because now I have "ok Google" in the search on Google Now.
That's on 4.3 too, actually, I've got it too.

Intrepid Galaxy Nexus users should check XDA for some alpha KitKat ROMs - I have not tried myself but would be intrigued to see how it performs.

Got Kitkat up and running on my GS3, can't help but notice that my battery life has taken a pretty solid hit.

Any thoughts? Could it be that it's not an official release?

RGM79

Check what the battery usage screen says. Some but not all have reported that Google play services us taking up quite a lot of battery life. In some of those cases, clearing data or a factory reset helps.

whitehawk

Banned
Can't wait for developers to start updating their apps/games to use the entire screen. Only app I have so far that does this is my SNES emulator.

Welp, I got an unlocked Google Play Galaxy Nexus so I won't get 4.4 despite the hardware being more than speced.

It's been a brilliant phone, and I'm still in no need upgrade for my needs, looks like I need to look towards rooting it in the future for 4.4 kitkat.

Got Kitkat up and running on my GS3, can't help but notice that my battery life has taken a pretty solid hit.

Any thoughts? Could it be that it's not an official release?
Completely anecdotal, but I'm able to hit 10 hours of screen on use with my 2013 Nexus 7 when I typically got 8 hours with 4.3. So it might be due to the cobbled togetherness of your custom rom.

I'm not sure if it's my imagination, but it feels like I got a bit better battery life on my Nexus 4 after the 4.4 update. Usually after a shift at work, my battery is around 15% and it was about 33% when I left today with moderate usage.

They battery life with this custom rom really bites.

I can't seem to find any info, but is it possible to wipe my phone out and have it be factory restored?

Or, is it possible to downgrade to an official operation system?

On the phone itself, or with a mac?

Flash

I get the change from the blue WiFi/3G etc. to the white/grey colour scheme but it's annoying as hell, especially since white/grey meant something completely different just one week ago (that I wasn't connected or whatever).

Now whenever I walk into work I always forget to properly connect to WiFi.

Also, why didn't Nexus 4 get the transparent nav bar? Strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom