• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Break me off a piece of that: Android 4.4 KItKat officially released

Status
Not open for further replies.

jokkir

Oh wait, I just found out you can toggle the lockscreen widgets off and on after all! Its hidden away in Settings.

tha_devil

Oh wait, I just found out you can toggle the lockscreen widgets off and on after all! Its hidden away in Settings.

Finally, i hate those widgets.

Btw, dont know if related to 4.4 or not, but when will they fix the bug in chrome, where (mainly on forums),it enlarges long sentences, but keep short one very tiny. It's so annoying.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Never used an android device before, but this does look pretty good. Don't think it's enough to get me to switch, but that's mostly due to the investment I have in iOS currently and the fact that the reliance on iTunes and that doesn't really bother me. I'm sure I'd enjoy using it if I had one though. Maybe I'll pick up an android tablet like the Nexus 7 to get myself into the ecosystem first.

Mindwipe

exactly. I don't know why this argument keeps reappearing. iOS7 was announced in June and released in September. 3 months later!

You don't hear anyone complaining about that process for some reason?

Because Apple gives clear timetables. Beta available same day, final version available to everyone on the same day.

Humans dislike uncertainty. Google's release strategy is a crappy idea and needs work.

I have to say, I'm distinctly unimpressed that those of us with existing devices are waiting even longer for bugfixes.

giga

Google Hangouts 2.0 is glorious! Finally Google might have its version of iMessage.
Really? I'm hearing the SMS integration is a lot like the Facebook app, where it's just a separate thread instead of integrated into one like iMessage.

Have you tested it with others? If you send a message to their phone number, does it send as a Hangout? Or does Hangouts only send to their email address? If you lose data or have data off, does it automatically switch to SMS instead of a Hangout?

As someone who has never bought a Nexus device but planned make my next Android purchase one, this talk of 18-month support makes it much less appealing. Confidence you'll get Android updates is half the reason for getting a Nexus! Three years, maybe.

It's still better than with other Android devices, but still not good enough.

I don't imagine the carriers will be porting to the S3 (at least in US).

:( Phone is like 18 months old, but it's just forgotten about and it's fuck you owners of it.

This is one of the big reasons I didn't want to get a smart phone. This is complete bullshit.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
As someone who has never bought a Nexus device but planned make my next Android purchase one, this talk of 18-month support makes it much less appealing. Confidence you'll get Android updates is half the reason for getting a Nexus! Three years, maybe.

It does suck knowing my phone only has six months left before Google abandons it.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
How can I find out if certain devices will be updated to 4.4?

I'm thinking of getting a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 2014 Edition, but only if it will be upgraded

tino

Banned
Finally, i hate those widgets.

Btw, dont know if related to 4.4 or not, but when will they fix the bug in chrome, where (mainly on forums),it enlarges long sentences, but keep short one very tiny. It's so annoying.

That is the number 1 reason why Chrome is completely unuseable. Piss me off that the ICS browser was so much better.

tino

Banned

There are almost no difference between 4.1 and 4.4, you aint missing anything.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I don't believe for a minute that Google will stop supporting the nexus 4 in 6 months!

The GNEX is only not supported because it would take a little more effort than usual!

I think the N4 has at least another year and a bit of support.

Well, that is true. I like to be on the cutting edge of operating systems, though. Trying out betas, following the news and all that. That's where the value comes into it for me. :)

gutshot

Updated the OP to include what we know about the timetables for when KitKat will arrive on various devices (which is not a lot at this point, but I'll keep it updated).

I've also added download links to the latest versions of some of the core apps included in 4.4. This includes the new Hangouts with SMS/MMS support and the new launcher with the deeper Google Now integration.

tino

Banned
Well, that is true. I like to be on the cutting edge of operating systems, though. Trying out betas, following the news and all that. That's where the value comes into it for me. :)

Just buy the new Nexus and sell the old one ever year. Your phone depreciate $150 max.

bob page

So many awesome new additions in this update, many of which the mainstream blogs haven't even mentioned yet.

This release has more worthwhile new features than iOS 7, imho.

Definitely thinking about selling my iPad mini and getting a Nexus 7 right now. Any word on an updated Nexus 10 or should I just go with the 7?

mattp

Really? I'm hearing the SMS integration is a lot like the Facebook app, where it's just a separate thread instead of integrated into one like iMessage.

Have you tested it with others? If you send a message to their phone number, does it send as a Hangout? Or does Hangouts only send to their email address? If you lose data or have data off, does it automatically switch to SMS instead of a Hangout?

its much nicer than the facebook app
in the fb app you literally had a seperate contact and conversation for sms vs fb chat.
hangouts rolls the contact into 1 and you can toggle between the 2 conversations. like this:

S7dIBZM.jpg

bob page

Also, has anyone had any issues receiving MMS via the new Hangouts app? Someone tried sending me a few pics last night but they didn't go through (checked the messages app too and they weren't there). I have MightText installed- not sure if it's messing it up (it was displaying that an incoming MMS was arriving via my desktop but never got it).

Bit-Bit

So how does hangouts integrate with your google voice number? Its only showing my phone's text messages and not my google voice text messages.

linkboy

So how does hangouts integrate with your google voice number? Its only showing my phone's text messages and not my google voice text messages.

I believe they're still separate right now, but fully expect Google to merge the two in the future (probably next year).

Eiolon

Since this my first Android phone (moved from Apple) I did not realize we don't get new OS releases on our older phones. This sucks.

bob page

Since this my first Android phone (moved from Apple) I did not realize we don't get new OS releases on our older phones. This sucks.

Root your phone. If it's not overly old and it's a more popular handset chances are someone will put out a 4.4 flash.

Or you can try installing someone of the APKs for the launcher, keyboard, etc packages to try to mimic the experience.

Rocking a Nexus 4 here, it usually takes me months to get the OTA update. In the past I have resorted to doing the old "clear google services" trick to get the updates. However from what I hear doing this trick apparently brings the harbinger of the apocalypse for tea (if you go by the official advice) I think this time I will try and do it manually.

GatorBait

Realistically, I don't know how much I'd read into that statement, at the moment. The Galaxy Nexus has a few legitimate reasons why Google wouldn't deem it worth putting on the effort to upgrade it beyond it being more than 18-months old.

Is there a way to check SMS online through Hangouts for desktop? Tried to install hangouts on Chrome, worked fine at first but now I always get "Unable to connect to Google".

3phemeral

Is there a way to check SMS online through Hangouts for desktop? Tried to install hangouts on Chrome, worked fine at first but now I always get "Unable to connect to Google".

I don't think so. Seems it separates both SMS and Hangouts conversations while also keeping those SMSs restricted to the device they originated from.

vio

Well, 4.3 has already TRIM feature. Which is should prevent your device getting painfully slow after a while. Also 4.3 stock launcher is much snappier. This stuff is quite noticeable on my Nexus S. UI did not change much though.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Part of me wants to get this on the first day it's available for Nexus 4, but part of me doesn't want to encounter some messed up bug that was missed that bricks my phone. Maybe I'll wait a couple days... or hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom