• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Break me off a piece of that: Android 4.4 KItKat officially released

Status
Not open for further replies.

skybald

Looks cool as hell. Too bad I have a year and a half left with a Galaxy S3 on Verizon, thus confirming I will never use KitKat

Google wallet for everyone? Also apps being able to use Tap & Pay? Am I reading this right?

http://developer.android.com/about/versions/kitkat.html

New NFC capabilities through Host Card Emulation

Android 4.4 introduces new platform support for secure NFC-based transactions through Host Card Emulation (HCE), for payments, loyalty programs, card access, transit passes, and other custom services. With HCE, any app on an Android device can emulate an NFC smart card, letting users tap to initiate transactions with an app of their choice — no provisioned secure element (SE) in the device is needed. Apps can also use a new Reader Mode to act as readers for HCE cards and other NFC-based transactions.

Android HCE emulates ISO/IEC 7816 based smart cards that use the contactless ISO/IEC 14443-4 (ISO-DEP) protocol for transmission. These cards are used by many systems today, including the existing EMVCO NFC payment infrastructure. Android uses Application Identifiers (AIDs) as defined in ISO/IEC 7816-4 as the basis for routing transactions to the correct Android applications.

Apps declare the AIDs they support in their manifest files, along with a category identifier that indicates the type of support available (for example, "payments"). In cases where multiple apps support the same AID in the same category, Android displays a dialog that lets the user choose which app to use.

When the user taps to pay at a point-of-sale terminal, the system extracts the preferred AID and routes the transaction to the correct application. The app reads the transaction data and can use any local or network-based services to verify and then complete the transaction.

Android HCE requires an NFC controller to be present in the device. Support for HCE is already widely available on most NFC controllers, which offer dynamic support for both HCE and SE transactions. Android 4.4 devices that support NFC will include Tap & Pay for easy payments using HCE.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Will I be able to find the file for the Nexus 7 before it gets pushed automatically, or do I just wait?

W1SSY

how do i update this on my galaxy tab 2. is it even eligible?
That depends on if Samsung decides to put it out for the device. They would never do a stock variation and would reskin and release that.

Why does the title say officially released? My Nexus 4 isn't finding an update.
It has yet to start rolling out to the Nexus 4 but should in the next couple of weeks. Usually Google does OTA updates over time.

Lemonte

I would love me some updates for my Note2. Guess thats too much to ask. Damn you samsung. I don't want to root my phone!

This thread makes me want to root my S4 (Verizon) and install stock Android. I had no idea Samsung and Verizon were notoriously slow with software updates.

TouchWiz is an abomination.

jokkir

I finally got Kitkat working on my phone:

0jFMNKm.jpg
iB4zHIr.jpg

Any questions? I'll be staying a little bit late today doing my homework

DXPett1

Google wallet for everyone? Also apps being able to use Tap & Pay? Am I reading this right?

http://developer.android.com/about/versions/kitkat.html

Yup, local Australian bank inadvertently confirmed this a week or so ago stating their new app will be able to perform NFC payments. Considering the timing I'm would assume this is why.

NFC just got thrown not just a lifeline but a fucking jetpack to relevancy. Expect iOS passbook+NFC payments functionality fire all NFC equipped 4.4 devices

No Galaxy Nexus support = feels bad man.

Hopefully someone can bring it to the GNex phones on Verizon, it sounds like it would breathe some new life into my old phone.

jokkir

Some quick impressions of Kitkat so far (posted this in the Android OT as well)
+ The no black bars in the status bar and nav bar when in the homescreen is pretty nice looking
+ Homescreen with the Google Now stuff looks pretty good too
+ The clock doesn't look ugly anymore now that Google got rid of the bolded font
+ I like showing more information about battery drain from apps that use location
+ Bigger focus on Google Now.
+ It looks like more control on Google Now too like adding reminders and easier to modify preferences.
+ Easier and more apparent way to open Google Now and Camera from the lockscreen
+ Easier to choose a default Launcher now that it's in the Settings

- The white font when not in the homescreen (the black bars return) make apps look really plain and bland.
- Moving to neutral colours for other apps like the Keyboard make it looks plain as well
- I'm not really liking the changed Roboto font
- Tougher to add screens and widgets
- Dialer's design is all over the place. It has a new interface but then it looks the same when calling someone. Can't comment on the Yellow Pages thing since I think it's not working on this build.

I can't comment on the NFC part because it doesnt seem to work on this build.

Anyway, yeah, the bland, grey colours are really bothering me. It looks very soul-less. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom