• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Break me off a piece of that: Android 4.4 KItKat officially released

Status
Not open for further replies.

TxdoHawk

I just wish they'd push the Hangouts update already. Most of what makes this update interesting seems to be locked to hardware-specific N5 goodness or tailored to old-ass Android phones. I've got animated GIFs that need sending!

gutshot

HTC: Android 4.4 KitKat coming to the One within 90 days, Google Play edition within 15 days

Now that we know which of Google's Nexus devices will be eligible for an update to Android 4.4 KitKat, other manufacturers are starting to speak up about their rollout plans as well. Jason Mackenzie, president of HTC America, confirmed to us in an interview that the company is going to aggressively push out the latest version of Android to the HTC One. The Google Play edition will be updated within the next 15 days, the Developer edition and unlocked versions will get it within 30 days, and the remaining SKUs in North America (including all carrier variants) will have it in 90 days or less. With the exception of the Google Play edition, HTC plans to keep its signature Sense UI at version 5.5 (the same one that's already bundled with Android 4.3); and although Mackenzie couldn't go into details on how the new KitKat features will be implemented in Sense, we expect to see plenty of them make an appearance in the update in some way.

Fuck yes. I think Hangouts now being the default chat method is just as important as it supporting SMS. A whole lot more people will soon be using their Google account for chatting.

I'm tempted to root my HTC One, if that's even possible.

mattp

Fuck yes. I think Hangouts now being the default chat method is just as important as it supporting SMS. A whole lot more people will soon be using their Google account for chatting.

I'm tempted to root my HTC One, if that's even possible.

sadly it wont be THAT many more people using google chat because im sure samsung and every other oem is still gonna just toss out hangouts and put their own sms app on their phones as the default and most people will never change the default

Will have this on my Galaxy S in 2 weeks tops.

Slim Roms for life!

Currently on SlimBean 4.3 Stable, the last release before SlimKat.

Anyone who is mad that their device isn't being supported by the manufacturer, check out the slim site ad see if your device is supported. Many are, with more being added as demand rises.

http://slimroms.net/
http://slimroms.net/index.php/supported-devices

Still supporting the Galaxy S <3

And now with the OS needing less memory, my device should keep going even longer than I ever hoped! I thought this might be the last update before the developer dropped my device, but now I am not so sure :)

RAM (or memory) is one of the most expensive parts of a phone, and now Android can run comfortably on the 512MB of RAM devices that are popular in much of the world, bringing the latest goodies in Android 4.4 within reach for the next billion smartphone users.

*waits for HTC to announce that the One won't get 4.4 because of lack of RAM*

Apple announces new shit, download it the same day.

Google announces new shit, maybe you'll get it in a few weeks on select devices if they ever get around to it.

:(

Astra

Well the 4.3 update was really, really minor. Hopefully with a more major release, Samsung will be inclined to push through an update.

That's good to hear. Though to be honest, I probably wouldn't notice any difference unless there are some UI changes.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I better see 4.4 for my Nexus 4 by the time I wake up.

sarcastor

Does this mean no more ugly ass, waste-of-space home buttons on my Nexus 4?

ETfBil2.jpg

GatorBait

I'm thinking this means the rumored "Google Experience Launcher" will eventually make its way to the Play Store:

Easy home screen switching

If you love to customize your device and have installed one or more home screen replacements, you can switch between them easily in Settings > Home.

I actually have an app that I've written where I have Chromecast support working pretty much completely, and it only took me about 2 weeks. But I can't release the update because it won't work anywhere besides my testing environment. So I can easily believe that.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of app did you write? And did you use C++, Java, or something else?

Keyouta

Pretty darn disappointed about no official support for the Galaxy Nexus. Good thing the development and molding community will get it on the device really quickly, I can wait. Google's excuse sucks.

Cipherr

I'm thinking this means the rumored "Google Experience Launcher" will eventually make its way to the Play Store:

This is a good look if its what it sounds like. OS level section for keeping Launcher configs.

Ok that's fucking awesome. /jealous iOS user

Best feature of the update imo:

ibyGtU7KCb9meB.gif

No more using Google search to find a phone number, then clicking the phone number to dial it. Can just use the dialer as a full on yellow pages search, plus the auto caller id stuff is just sweet. I'm calling it now, every mobile OS will do this within a year. It just makes perfect sense.

celebi23

The new easter egg is pretty awesome :D If you're messing around with the SDK & Emulator, locate the easter egg like you would with Jelly Bean :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom