• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: All PS1 Games (discs included) Now Playable on PSP Via Remote Play

OH YA forgot to add that this is one thing i am soooo glad sony is doing so frickin' right!

They talked about PSP-PS3 interconnectivity since a long time ago and I thought it'd be this gimmicky thing that would be superficial and not pursued that far. BUT what sony has done is just wonderful! Of course this may not appeal to the masses that much, and they probably deserve more credit for all of this

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Now this begs the question... why the fuck would Sony want to keep this part of the update a secret? This should have been put on top of the change log. It's an awesome feature.

orio7

Banned
The Chef said:
Why would they not advertise this?

Seriously.

Sony needs to shut up about stuff that is still on the drawing board and might never happen and start to pimp awesome stuff like this.

Laguna X said:
Now this begs the question... why the fuck would Sony want to keep this part of the update a secret? This should have been put on top of the change log. It's an awesome feature.

The only thing I can think of is that they might not be sure how well it really works and don't want to advertise it only to find out it has a ton of flaws in it.

badcrumble said:
No, the PS3 can be turned on remotely by the PSP now.
What kind of witchery is this? :lol Amazing stuff, but one more question - I get having my PSP logged onto wi-fi, but do I need wi-fi in my house or can my PS3 be hooked into ethernet? (It will be plugged in.)

Schrade

doogles said:
What kind of witchery is this? :lol Amazing stuff, but one more question - I get having my PSP logged onto wi-fi, but do I need wi-fi in my house or can my PS3 be hooked into ethernet? (It will be plugged in.)
It can be hooked up via ethernet. It's how I have mine hooked up.

doogles said:

Connecting your PS3 via ethernet is perfect.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
SolidSnakex said:
The only thing I can think of is that they might not be sure how well it really works and don't want to advertise it only to find out it has a ton of flaws in it.
being it's a system update, sony has to support it if they announce it. By putting it in as a stealth update they basically don't have to support the feature.

orio7 said:
Seriously.

Sony needs to shut up about stuff that is still on the drawing board and might never happen and start to pimp awesome stuff like this.

They really should. Leverage the PS1 games as a kind of VC or DS level experience, and then show someone playing Twisted Metal on the subway or something. It's an absolutely brilliant feature.

SRG01

TTP said:
So all we need now it to be able to rip PS1 CD games straight to the PSP and we are basically done with it.

Well... has anyone tried to see if there are extra menu items for PS1 games on the PS3?

iceatcs

doogles said:

Yeah it will work, I'm using ethernet and done many time with wake-on in 'dam trip with my psp under hotel's wifi.

Steroyd

FUCK YES!!

Theese stealth updates are bollocks though, tell me you muppets. >_<

Wait discs to!!!
SPLOOOOOOGE!!!

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
SRG01 said:
Well... has anyone tried to see if there are extra menu items for PS1 games on the PS3?
I doubt it will happen. The region coding/copy protection is a software level feature of the PSX system. Unless they actually verified protection before ripping, people would just download PSX games and rip them to their HD.

I am guessing this is probably the best you will ever see on this feature.. Not that that's bad.. this is already pretty damn cool.

j-wood

Just because so many people are asking...

1. You have to have a PSP and a PS3 (the PS3 needs to be setup on a wireless router if you don't have the wireless version).

2. The PSP can connect to the PS3 via remote play anywhere in the world, as long as you have an internet connection available (because of a recent firmware update, the PS3 doesn't have to be on when you leave. The PSP has the ability to turn the PS3 ON AND OFF through remote play). This means you can do this at home, or you can go on vacation to another state, use your PSP to turn on your PS3 and subsequently use remote play.

3. Because of last night's FW update, the PSP can now play any PSone titles downloaded through the playstation store that are stored on the PS3. In addtion, if a PSone disc is in the PS3, it can be played on the PSP as well, all through remote play.

Alright, I'm impressed now. Wasn't seeing the point other than Dad wanting to watch football in HD and me wanting to play one of the many PSX games I'm sure to go back and buy now.

rSpooky

HOLY @&)&@#!

schocker.jpg

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Why are so many people so confused about Remote Play?

This is remote play:

the PS3 handles all rendering and runs all the games. All calculations are made on the PS3.

The PS3 sends a video and audio feed to the PSP, and the PSP sends controller input (like a wireless controller)

j-wood

nincompoop said:
Doesn't the PSP's battery only last like an hour and a half with wifi enabled? This doesn't seem very practical.

I think the new PSP battery gives you longer life than that, but either way, who will be traveling, but staying in the same spot for a good wifi connection for over an hour without having a charger?

marsomega

..they let you instal ps1 games you have the disc for on the hard drive. Besides final fantasy 9 I can't think of another game I would play from the PS1 library.

Damn my brother sold his PSP. Looks like I'm picking up a slim on Boxing day. So if I bought like for PS1 games off the network, I can play those 4 games without changing any discs at any wifi spot? Plus a 5th if I left one in the drive. OMFG this owns. Too many updates my ass, keep em coming Sony !!!

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Looks like I'll be heading out to retail for some PSOne games in the near future. The last time I've said that was about five years ago. :lol

M3Freak

Banned
Steroyd said:
FUCK YES!!

Theese stealth updates are bollocks though, tell me you muppets. >_<

Wait discs to!!!
SPLOOOOOOGE!!!

Oh man, I feel the same way. This is too awesome.

Now if only the wifi network at work wasn't broken. I'm going to kick the new network guy in the ass to get that shit fixed.

dextran

hahaha. it's cute to watch my psp and ps3 update together. who's going to win! This is such awesome news - I can visit my brother for xmas, and still have a ps1 game to play while I'm there on his network.

Gattsu25

Banned
nicholasphan said:
why is it a good thing that its stealth? why not let everyone who downloads the new firmware know about this AWEEESOOME feature?!
It's like opening a christmas gift. You rip off the packaging and see a Payless Shoes package, open it and finding money inside inside. Only in this case it's more like downloading an update that you think will give you divx support and finding out that you can now play all PSX games using remote play.

LiveWire

Kyoufu said:
Anywhere in the world. You just need internet access for your PSP.

Are you shitting me? That's fucking awesome!

marsomega said:
..they let you instal ps1 games you have the disc for on the hard drive. Besides final fantasy 9 I can't think of another game I would play from the PS1 library.

Yea, or provide a way for you to install it on your HD and transmit a copy to your PSP memory stick.

Aurelius

How onlogical can Sony make this.

- The PS3 is backward compatible for PS1 games, but not for PS2.
- You can't upload PS1 games to your PSP, but you can play them using your PS3 as a platform for your PSP.

I'm confused.

Roxas

awesome, looks like its finally time to come off the homebrew and back onto the official Sony firmware.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
More and more, PSP needs a revision that implements a 3G network service.

nincompoop said:
Doesn't the PSP's battery only last like an hour and a half with wifi enabled? This doesn't seem very practical.
Attack of the PSP pre-launch memes!!!

shinsnake

Banned
Before I read it, I was like, well that sucks, because they will never be able to do that with PS2 games since the PSP isn't strong enough. But then I read about how it's all done on the PS3 and the PSP is just a remote with a screen. That's freakin' awesome! This will probably push me away from the 360 and towards the PS3/PSP. Now, if they could do this with PS2 games and then PS3 games and even Blu Ray movies, this would be the sweetest system known to man. And, when you play PS3 games on the PSP, they should allow you to connect a PS3 controller to it wirelessly or through USB. Damn it man, I don't care how fast the battery will run out! I'll carry a generator!

Seriously, this is something I've been wanting ever since the GBA/GC connection, the ability to take a game on the go with you.

remote play is the one innovation that nintendo will probably copy from sony.

sony needs to push remote play a lot harder than they are. although this gives some psp owner more reasons not to buy software :lol

Civil

Wow, this is amazing. I'm really temped to get a PS3 just for this.

What do you do for games that require the back shoulder buttons or the right analog stick, though? Seems like that would be quite a problem.

Matix

- Internet Radio
- Media Manager 2.5 (For Free)
- Remote Play PS1 + PSP Feature

Best Firmware Update ever!!

Top Bottom