• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: All PS1 Games (discs included) Now Playable on PSP Via Remote Play

sw26

So I nabbed my brother's PSP and can confirm this works perfectly (apologies for the slightly blurry photos but I tried for a while and for the life of me couldn't get good quality pictures):

Resi3.jpg

MGS.jpg

I also tried Final Fantasy VIII, but after loading the PS Logo like usual it seems to stick and do nothing (which I remember it doing before) so it's probably just not PS3 compatible (I've got a PAL 60Gb by the way).

It's not perfect, as there is significant lag (I expect rhythm action games would be impossible to play well) but still a cool little feature nonetheless.

EDIT -
chubigans said:
Make sure to increase the response rate by +2 in the PSP menu.

Ah, that might be the reason for my lag problem when I had a quick play of MGS then.

:lol

Whereabouts in the PSP menus is the response rate setting?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
itxaka said:
wait, then....ummm didn´t the psp already played ps1 games???

Only if you copied them over the system. Now it can play them from the PS3. Both those downloaded form the PS Store and those on a disc.

If not, i been mistaked all this time as I thougt it did. Anyway, even if it did, you couldn´t rip your own cd games to the MS (except with the CF) so it´s a nice feature.

I dont think u can rip them? You can just play them remotely.

BTW how the remote turn on works? is wake on wan? the ps3 should be sending it´s ip address somewhere rigth? I really have no idea how it does it without sending anything, and with the ps3 off. It makes no logic for me.

The same way the Wii stays alway connected to WiiConnet24 if u set it so. System is in stand by, with a bit of power going towards the net thing to check if stuff is coming in.

itxaka

Defeatist
TTP said:
Only if you copied them over the system. Now it can play them from the PS3. Both those downloaded form the PS Store and those on a disc.

I dont think u can rip them? You can just play them remotely.

The same way the Wii stays alway connected to WiiConnet24 if u set it so. System is in stand by, with a bit of power going towards the net thing to check if stuff is coming in.

aahhh, I see now.

Thanks for the info. This looks very promising now. Just give me ps2 emulation and a price cut or a nice cheap bundle ps3+psp and i´m all over it (again)

This is awesome. I'm going to play Xenogears on PSP when I get home today. I wonder if there will ever be a FW update so this can be done with ps2 games. Shadow of the Colossus rp would be a dream come true.

Maggot9

Banned
Speaking of turning on and off your PS3 with remote play, does anyone's PS3 randomly turn on still when you set the option for worldwide remote play? Mine does, I thought a recent FW fixed this, but apparently not?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
A development like this almost makes a case for reviving actual PSone game development, except now catered toward designing games that would work well over the Remote Play connection. PSone visuals are perfectly adequate for simple puzzle games, turn-based stuff, emphasizing 2d over 3d, on a small screen like the PSP's.

koam

Sony has the best firmware updates.
Microsoft's are decent but they take too long and they seem very "me-too".
Nintendo.. well we got a clock and a photo channel downgrade!

sw26

siamesedreamer said:
That's a really cool feature.

Sucks to be someone who bought the 40Gig though.

I thought the 40Gig worked fine with PS1 games, and it was just PS2 games that didn't play?

EDIT - 4 post combo FTW.

Xisiqomelir

doogles said:
:lol I've been there since a few months ago, going to 5/5 next year. Can't wait to be able to play everything.

Let me see if I can build a business case for the PSP in my house:

-Valkyrie Profile
-Crush
-Puzzle Quest
-Portable Ops
-Princess Crown
-Jeanne D'arc
-Remote Play
-Internet Radio

Looking awfully tempting...

DrXym

Great feature but latency probably means many games such as racers / shooters will be close to unplayable through it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
To increase the response rate, just press the home button during remote play on the PSP and go to communication settings.

Tiktaalik

That's an extremely cool feature techwise, but honestly I could never see myself really using it. They should be spending their efforts elsewhere I think.

sw26 said:
I thought the 40Gig worked fine with PS1 games, and it was just PS2 games that didn't play?

EDIT - 4 post combo FTW.

Oops...didn't get that memo. Still an awesome feature.

Is it correct to say that you can be at work, turn on your PS3 via your PSP, and then play something like FF7?

Septimus

siamesedreamer said:
Oops...didn't get that memo. Still an awesome feature.

Is it correct to say that you can be at work, turn on your PS3 via your PSP, and then play something like FF7?
Absolutely. As long as you left the FF7 disc in your ps3.

TwIsTeD

just played some twisted metal, which i left in my ps3 at home last night, all i can say is wow it actually runs really well (aside from having to remap keys)....sony is doing very good things

Kweh

sw26 said:
I also tried Final Fantasy VIII, but after loading the PS Logo like usual it seems to stick and do nothing (which I remember it doing before) so it's probably just not PS3 compatible (I've got a PAL 60Gb by the way).

Aww crap. That's what I was looking forward to playing most!

This is fucking awesome. Too bad I can't rip PS1 discs to PS3's HDD. Or can i?

Does anyone know if multidisc games will work properly? edit: duh, of course it will

SOLDIER

Okay, I'm still unsure how this Remote Play works, so I hope someone can clarify for me.

Does BOTH your PSP and PS3 have to be online in order to enable this feature, or just the PS3? Say I'm at work now, where I can't connect my PSP online, but my PS3 is still at home turned off. I can actually turn it on from work as long as the PS3 remains online?

oneHeero

v1cious said:
uhh... what about games with multiple discs?
The ps3 can hold multiple disc in it and swaps them out accordingly...

Great feature but latency probably means many games such as racers / shooters will be close to unplayable through it.

Reading OP only ftl.

Okay, I'm still unsure how this Remote Play works, so I hope someone can clarify for me.

Does BOTH your PSP and PS3 have to be online in order to enable this feature, or just the PS3? Say I'm at work now, where I can't connect my PSP online, but my PS3 is still at home turned off. I can actually turn it on from work as long as the PS3 remains online?
You need to have a Wifi hotspot @ work for this to work.

TheQueen'sOwn

insert blank space here
SOLDIER said:

The internet is like the cord between your controller (the PSP) and your system (the PS3). If either one isn't attached to the cord (the internet) you can't do squat.

The teeny amount of lag that I experienced when playing SotN will be no hindrance for an RPG.

RELEASE A FINAL FANTASY (7, 8, or 9, doesn't matter), PLEASE, SONY.

WinFonda

Wow, thats really freaking cool. Too bad I don't have a PSP... might have to change that though. Sony is doing an excellent job with these feature updates.

Firewire

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
That's an extremely cool feature techwise, but honestly I could never see myself really using it. They should be spending their efforts elsewhere I think.

I kinda felt the same, but I got a PSP for my b-day so I figured I would try it out. I was amazed at how well the remote play worked. Now its a must have whenever I take transit into the city.

One annoying thing though, are over the shoulder people watching me while I play. I feel like I'm in one of those PSP commercials, once I think a guy was going to give me advice on the game I was playing, but he bit his lip.

PS: Turning on your PS3 with your PSP and having it download a firmware update while your at work or out somewhere is awesome!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
v1cious said:
uhh... what about games with multiple discs?
No different an issue than if you are on Remote Play and are tired of playing a single disc game and would like to play something else. The feature obviously has its limits, but the ideal scenario for this feature isn't targeted toward what PS1 discs you have in the drive, but rather which PS1 games you have loaded on the HDD.

When is the new AIBO released? It's rumored to be PSP/PS3 compatible. I wonder if it can be trained to change CDs via remote commands? :D

Top Bottom