• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: All PS1 Games (discs included) Now Playable on PSP Via Remote Play

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
SAFOOL said:
How does your PSP find your PS3 if you dont have a static IP?

It finds it via the PSN; You leave the PS3 logged into the network and you enter your PSN login info when you turn on Remote Play in the PSP.

Chris R

Speevy said:
This is exciting, but don't PSP owners already "back up" their PS1 games anyway?
It is the only reason I got a PSP :lol (but I have been rewarded with several great titles that I wouldn't have had the chance to play otherwise).
I feel glad that others can now play PS1 games on the go, but really, CFW is still better since I have the "disc" on my memory stick and can "switch" them out on the go. Having CT, FFVI, FFIX Disc 1 & 2 and THPS on my PSP rocks :D

Is there any chance of it letting us load the disc on the PS3 and transfer it to the PSP so that we don't have to turn the PS3 on to play it?

Edit: Stupid question I guess because that would put PSN PS1 games out of business (like they ever were in business, only got about 10 over here in the EU).

Cruzader

Banned
nincompoop said:
Doesn't the PSP's battery only last like an hour and a half with wifi enabled? This doesn't seem very practical.

Don't you guys love Sony Haters?:lol

Their motto must be :"anywhere, anytime"

Anyways this is a really cools feature but should be told to the public instead of a stealth update thing.

Also wont this kill PS1 DL from PSN store?Unless they only release rare titles?

Gattsu25

Banned
Cruzader said:
Don't you guys love Sony Haters?:lol

Their motto must be :"anywhere, anytime"

Anyways this is a really cools feature but should be told to the public instead of a stealth update thing.

Also wont this kill PS1 DL from PSN store?Unless they only release rare titles?
If it's a game I don't currently own and the price is right, I'll still buy it

Baker

Banned
Am I crazy, or does the PSP only have a wireless B card in it? I can't find anything in the documentation.

In theory, I have no problem broadcasting B and G, but I've noticed I can't host in some games on the 360 when doing so.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Baker said:
Am I crazy, or does the PSP only have a wireless B card in it? I can't find anything in the documentation.

In theory, I have no problem broadcasting B and G, but I've noticed I can't host in some games on the 360 when doing so.

Not crazy, it only has B. If I'm not mistaken, when you enable B & G broadcasting and you connect a B device to the network, all wifi devices downgrade to B speeds.

M3wThr33

Banned
Baker said:

PSP = 802.11b. :(

npm0925

So tempted to buy a PSP now... Is Sony selling replacement battery covers for the slim white PSP without the Darth Vader silhouette?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
How does the PSP take into account there were four shoulder buttons on original PS1 games

Agent X

Gold Member
Shawnwhann said:
Hmm....after playing both Wipeout and Castlevania through remote play, it appears that slow paced games or rpgs are the best fit for this feature. Anything that requires precise timing will not be that great because there is lag that creeps in. What experience are you guys having?

Similar.

I tried Tempest X3 as a test. My eyes lit up at seeing beautiful Tempest goodness gracing my PSP screen. However, after a few minutes, I stopped playing, because the input lag is so persistent that it made the game practically unplayable.

This will certainly be great for turn-based games (like board games and some RPGs), but the lag makes it impractical for action games. With that in mind, out of the 62 PS1 games I own, this reduces the number of reasonably playable titles in my collection to...2.

The next step would be the ability to "rip" your own PS1 discs to the PS3, and subsequently transfer the rips to the PSP so that they play using the PSP's own PS1 emulation. When that happens, then my enthusiasm will increase greatly. :D

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
dionysus said:
Yep, I have always wanted to play all the great ps1 rpgs I missed, but playing them on my HD TV just annoyed me. Vagrant Story and Parasite Eve here I come.

You know, this could actually kill off some sales for forthcoming DS ports of FF games.

tanod

when is my burrito
SAFOOL said:
How does your PSP find your PS3 if you dont have a static IP?

MAC address:

A unique number assigned to every computer/thing plugged into the internet.

npm0925 said:
So tempted to buy a PSP now... Is Sony selling replacement battery covers for the slim white PSP without the Darth Vader silhouette?
Yes. Third parties do as well.

I think if they didn't have the Darth Vader cover on the white one, they would have sold a lot more. Lots of anecdotal reports saying that the Battlefront bundle doesn't sell near as well as the Silver Daxter model.

Firewire

Banned
tanod said:
I think if they didn't have the Darth Vader cover on the white one, they would have sold a lot more. Lots of anecdotal reports saying that the Battlefront bundle doesn't sell near as well as the Silver Daxter model.

Is it because of the Darth Vader cover or is it because Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron isn't that great? A few people have told me they weren't all that impressed with the game.

FabCam

I'm about to try this with FF8, FF9 and Spyro 3. My PSP is on low battery though, so it'll take a while until I can install the update...

tanod

when is my burrito
Firewire said:
Is it because of the Darth Vader cover or is it because Star Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron isn't that great? A few people have told me they weren't all that impressed with the game.

Both? I think that I heard the Battlefront bundle doesn't come with a memory stick either.

Jim

tanod said:

The Battlefront bundle also has a rather mediocre game included and no Family Guy UMD or Memory Stick for the same price. It's kinda niche
and ugly

Flek

Banned
polyh3dron said:
Nuke2.JPG
qft

sony firmware updates are made off pure awesome golden WIN!

Dez

tanod said:
MAC address:

A unique number assigned to every computer/thing plugged into the internet.

If the PS3 is offline, you shouldn't be possible to communicate with it, even if you know the mac address. Clearly, the PS3 must have some internet connectivity (ie, an IP) when it's off, right?

Firewire

Banned
tanod said:
Both? I think that I heard the Battlefront bundle doesn't come with a memory stick either.

Jim said:
The Battlefront bundle also has a rather mediocre game included and no Family Guy UMD or Memory Stick for the same price. It's kinda niche
and ugly

So it is a bit of both and some of the extras you don't get. I had no idea the Star Wars bundle was missing the memory stick and the Family Guy UMD. The Daxter bundle is way better!

acidviper

Banned
Man that's sad. Are you people really justifying your PS3 purchase with meaningless features. Sure it looks interesting and buggy, but if you've paid $500-1000 in consoles to play PS1 games, yeesh.

Jim

Dez said:
If the PS3 is offline, you shouldn't be possible to communicate with it, even if you know the mac address. Clearly, the PS3 must have some internet connectivity (ie, an IP) when it's off, right?

Setting the PS3 to Wake on Remote Play puts it in a standby mode with the needed connectivity.

Xisiqomelir

oo Kosma oo said:
SHITFUCK I don't have Wifi at home.

Wireless routers cost less than next-gen games.

EDIT:

acidviper said:
Man that's sad. Are you people really justifying your PS3 purchase with meaningless features. Sure it looks interesting and buggy, but if you've paid $500-1000 in consoles to play PS1 games, yeesh.

Well, before you head are sent off into B-town and can't read this response, I'm trying to use it to justify a PSP purchase. My PS3 has paid for itself very well in entertainment value already.

Jim

Firewire said:
So it is a bit of both and some of the extras you don't get. I had no idea the Star Wars bundle was missing the memory stick and the Family Guy UMD. The Daxter bundle is way better!

Which is why the Daxter pack is actually sold out online at a lot of retailers... Not available at Amazon, Best Buy, Circuit City, Buy.com, EBGames.com, etc. It's selling REALLY well.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
g35twinturbo said:
wired works now, been workings ince 1.6 iirc.
The PSP is solely a wireless device though.

Like others have said, get a wireless router. Well worth it for the expanded flexibility it'll give your home network connection.

SCReuter

acidviper said:
That was totally necessary.

FabCam

acidviper said:

Erm, when you can play some of the greatest games ever made on the other side of the world via you PS3 on your PSP that's pretty good. amirite?

Dante

acidviper said:

I said WOW.....Literally.

Amon37

I had a 2 year warranty on my fat psp and when it broke last weekend and I went to bestbuy to exchange all they had were Battlefront bundles, no Daxter and no regular black slims.

tanod

when is my burrito
Dez said:

Yeah. When the PS3's off, it's in a low power standby mode. PS3 also has Wake-on-LAN.

It has an IP, of course, but the PSP uses the MAC address to locate your PS3.

For those that don't know a lot about remote play:

Note that only one PSP can be linked to a PS3 via remote play at a time and has to be physically connected to register it in the first place so don't expect to be able to connect to anybody else's PS3 except your own or anybody else to connect to yours.

Pellham

Banned
Wow, amazing feature. I'm definately going to love that when I get around to getting a PS3 (still waiting for the next inevitable price drop + some killer apps).

Top Bottom