• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BREAKING: All PS1 Games (discs included) Now Playable on PSP Via Remote Play

they really need to be announcing this stuff.

im still waiting for an update that lets me plug my PSP into the PS3 and play my PSP games upscaled on my big TV with the DS3.

belvedere

Junior Butler
bigdaddygamebot said:
I call bullshit.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around how that works...and can't.

Someone needs to prove this during/after the Xmas holidays.

It's called Wake On Lan (even though it's technically triggered over a WAN). Basically, your PS3's MAC address is verified by authenticating your PSN account on your PSP and a packet is then sent to wake up your PS3.

This functionality is already in place (I do it every Thursday from work).

Without a doubt, you CAN turn on your PS3 from anywhere with a routed WiFi connection to the internet.

steve

Banned
Am I the only one that keeps reading this thread title to be about a new PSP game where you get to break PSone games? :lol

Firewire

Banned
bigdaddygamebot said:
I call bullshit.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around how that works...and can't.

Someone needs to prove this during/after the Xmas holidays.

I do it all the time! All you do is sync your PSP to your PS3. Then from anywhere in the world were there is a Wifi spot you can turn your PS3 on or off, play a PS1 game that is on you HD, or a PS1 disc thats in your PS3. You can download stuff from the net to your PS3. You can even leave a blu ray movie (haven't tried this yet) in your PS3 and watch it on your PSP half way around the world.

Souther

Banned
The sad thing is that your probably never gonna see FF7 or any other square-enix game for download on PSN.

Better find these games on ebay cause you ain't gonna find them on PSN.

belvedere said:
It's called Wake On Lan (even though it's technically triggered over a WAN). Basically, your PS3's MAC address is verified by authenticating your PSN account on your PSP and a packet is then sent to wake up your PS3.

This functionality is already in place (I do it every Thursday from work).

Without a doubt, you CAN turn on your PS3 from anywhere with a routed WiFi connection to the internet.

The critical term being "WiFi".

Gotcha.

Still...this actually makes me think a PSP might be worth purchasing...who'da thunk it?

ALSO...I know some people are excited and gushing about Sony and their "4w350m3 stealth updates". Personally, I think the lack of information regarding their updates is just foolish. Why not hype these things or at the very least simply list them somewhere?

If you can actually play your PS1 games on your PSP...that's a big deal, no?

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Iron_Scimitar said:
Picture-2.jpg

OH SHI--

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Firewire said:
I do it all the time! All you do is sync your PSP to your PS3. Then from anywhere in the world were there is a Wifi spot you can turn your PS3 on or off, play a PS1 game that is on you HD, or a PS1 disc thats in your PS3. You can download stuff from the net to your PS3. You can even leave a blu ray movie (haven't tried this yet) in your PS3 and watch it on your PSP half way around the world.
Actually I don't believe you can remote play DVD or Blu-ray movies.

They should enable that for Home. Imagine renting a movie and then watching it with a buddy through Home? Otherwise we'll just do it with pirated media Sony ;)

haunts

Bacon of Hope
acidviper said:
Man that's sad. Are you people really justifying your PS3 purchase with meaningless features. Sure it looks interesting and buggy, but if you've paid $500-1000 in consoles to play PS1 games, yeesh.

Yeah I know its so lame right?? I mean, if you could play PS3 games remotley and use your PSP as a screen then THAT would be something... oh wait..

this is only the beginning, folks...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
GuessWho said:
does this work if you have a 40gb ps3?
Yes. All PS3s use a software emulator to play PSone games, so something like this will work on every model.

I love it how we all made Kaz Hirai the butt of our jokes for the Ridge Racer thing back then but now we see that what he was hinting at is truly awesome.

Kaz, you were ahead of your time.

Still waiting on that 4D stuff though :D

DoubleTap

BocoDragon said:
Actually I don't believe you can remote play DVD or Blu-ray movies.

They should enable that for Home. Imagine renting a movie and then watching it with a buddy through Home? Otherwise we'll just do it with pirated media Sony ;)

You can't play DVD or BRD's remotely yet. I tried. Sony should, at the very least, enable DVD playback remotely on the next update (if it's technically feasible).

DoubleTap said:
You can't play DVD or BRD's remotely yet. I tried. Sony should, at the very least, enable DVD playback remotely on the next update (if it's technically feasible).

It's technically feasible without question. I believe there may be some legal implications involved as well as restrictions due to the DVD Forum and BDA specs.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
If this was already answered, I apologize, but a quick question from someone with neither a PSP nor a PS3: this is just joypad emulation and streaming video via WiFi, right? I'm somewhat amazed they managed to get this working as well as the reports here are saying. Anyone know what the bandwith consumed is like, or what the video being transferred is roughly equivalent to, as far as encoding, dimensions, framerate, etc.?

-Rogue5-

Next up, PS2 games. Then PS3 after that.

My only criticism is that Sony should allow us to rip our PS1 discs to the PS3/P rather than making us buy them via PSN. Reading discs is great (if they didn't do that, I'd be upset), but I'd like the ability to copy some/most of my PS1 library to my PS3 so I could browse/choose/play a whole slew of PS1 games with remote play rather than just the one disc that is in the drive.

On top of that, now that divx is supported, the PS3 can use media streaming, and the Slims have video out, the PSP is pretty much a must-have accessory to the PS3. Especially for video buffs or people who appreciate having access to tons of shit on a whim and still be able to watch it in a group (by connecting it to a TV.) Searching your computer for video and music through your PS3 via remote play on your PSP when you're half-way around the world is magical. I mean, I'm pretty sure most people would have called it sorcery or witchcraft a little over a hundred years ago...

-Rogue5- said:
Next up, PS2 games. Then PS3 after that./QUOTE]
If they do that, they really kicked themselves in the nuts removing ps2 BC, I want to pick up a ps2 for tons of games I missed but would have loved it to still be in a ps3 once I can afford/want one.

It's one of the only off putting things for me with a ps3, the removal of ps2 bc.

Fixed broken quote.

-Rogue5- said:

My only criticism is that Sony should allow us to rip our PS1 discs to the PS3/P rather than making us buy them via PSN. Reading discs is great (if they didn't do that, I'd be upset), but I'd like the ability to copy some/most of my PS1 library to my PS3 so I could browse/choose/play a whole slew of PS1 games with remote play rather than just the one disc that is in the drive.

Tricky...what's to prevent users from renting/borrowing games and copying to their systems? Sure, as a user it would be nice, but there are plenty of logistical issues to deal with. Otherwise, I'm sure it probably would've been implemented already (or probably already is in some Sony R&D lab :))

haunts

Bacon of Hope
-Rogue5- said:

Lair is somewhat playable on the PSP in the same manner, so PS3 remote play on a larger scale is probably closer than we think. I have this feeling that MGS4 will be the first game to really utilize this feature fully in a PS3 game. Im sure FFXIII will do something similar.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Pretty cool feature for those that don't have access to PSP custom firmwares and the ability to load your own PSOne games on it directly. Really nice and unexpected alternative.

Banned
So, just how laggy is it then?

The last time I tried remote play (the update just before the WOL one) over a local network I either had an incredibly laggy experience, or one that on par with a youtube video that was only slightly less laggy. I imagine it's damn near unplayable over the net.

Have they improved remote play performance since then?

dionysus

Yaldog
Souther said:
The sad thing is that your probably never gonna see FF7 or any other square-enix game for download on PSN.

Better find these games on ebay cause you ain't gonna find them on PSN.

Picture060.jpg

:D This is by far my favorite feature of the ps3 and psp.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Whoa I just for the first time beat FFVII on my psp. :D So satisfying and Omega boost on the PSP, Hell yea!!

This is awesome... well, besides for the fact I have no PS1 games on disc, just Wild Arms I bought :(... Should only be a matter of time before PS2 games are playable, and even PSN games.

Do you have to set up any kind of port forwarding to use remote play remotely? Only place I've tried it is while I'm at my house, and it never works, but I figure it maybe because the PS3 & PSP are in range of each other.

andrewfee said:
So, just how laggy is it then?

The last time I tried remote play (the update just before the WOL one) over a local network I either had an incredibly laggy experience, or one that on par with a youtube video that was only slightly less laggy. I imagine it's damn near unplayable over the net.

Have they improved remote play performance since then?

Yeah, it was like that for me the last time I used it to. If the quality is decent Sony just made my job a whole lot better.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
bigdaddygamebot said:
ALSO...I know some people are excited and gushing about Sony and their "4w350m3 stealth updates". Personally, I think the lack of information regarding their updates is just foolish. Why not hype these things or at the very least simply list them somewhere?

If you can actually play your PS1 games on your PSP...that's a big deal, no?
The update that enabled this has been available for less than 24 hrs. Don't assume that because it hasn't been announced already, an announcement won't be forthcoming. It's not necessarily the easiest feature to explain to a wider audience.

There's also the possibility, previously mentioned in this thread, that it's the equivalent of a beta test of the feature. It may not be something they're prepared to support as an officially endorsed feature yet, so they're giving users no cause to expect support.

The Jer

nelsonroyale said:
I take I need the ps3 on to do this...what is the maximum distance I can be away from the console?
How far away is the internet? (I guess lag could end up being an issue, though)

Anerythristic said:
This just sold me a PS3.
This might push me over the edge and sell me a PSP.

I'm playing Vagrant Story on my PSP right now...

Oh. My. Fucking. GOD.

Thank you Sony, I take back every bad thing I've said about you since last Tuesday. Everything before then stands though.

It looks great but I'm guessing the lag is going to make the timing on the Risks pretty imposible. Might make the game more fun though since I could chain those damn things forever:D

Top Bottom