• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad Is The Best Show Ever Made

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I found Breaking Bad a little boring and afraid to really lean into the antihero vibe it was going for.

The Sopranos, The Wire, hell even House with its reliable predictability, were better shows because the writers and showrunners were unafraid to take things in unexpected directions. Breaking Bad always felt like a PG 13 version of a better show.

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I found Breaking Bad a little boring and afraid to really lean into the antihero vibe it was going for.
How do you mean? I thought the way they did Walter White was perfect. Perhaps my favourite character development. This scene in particular is just all kinds of awesome.

Interesting opinion. I wouldn't ever think of Breaking Bad as PG-13, there is some seriously tense & messed-up moments scattered throughout.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
It would have been so much better without Jessie's slide into fuck up territory.

He ruined it for me
Apparently Jesse was only meant to be a part of the first season, but Aaron Paul did such a great job with the character they continued with it. I do wonder how the show would have turned out just based around Walt. Those first two seasons have some magic moments between the two of them, before it gets a bit more darker & depressing.

The one episode where they are stranded in the desert with the RV is probably one of my favourites, honestly.

stn

The Sopranos, The Wire, hell even House with its reliable predictability, were better shows because the writers and showrunners were unafraid to take things in unexpected directions. Breaking Bad always felt like a PG 13 version of a better show.
Just confirming but did you watch it all? It becomes really dark at one point.

How do you mean? I thought the way they did Walter White was perfect. Perhaps my favourite character development. This scene in particular is just all kinds of awesome.

Interesting opinion. I wouldn't ever think of Breaking Bad as PG-13, there is some seriously tense & messed-up moments scattered throughout.

this is the moment walter white became king kong

Great show usually rewatch it every few years.
It’s definitely up there with some of the best. I feel Like we won’t get shows like this, the sopranos or the wire anymore now with all the Netflix trash.

Neil Young

Tell Brock it didn't lean into the anti hero vibe. Walt was an absolute monster at the end. The fight with Jr....holy cow. Same path as Tony Soprano. You rooted for Tony at first, he then became a glutinous, greedy, piece of absolute shit by the end. We all rooted for Walter, he then became the greedy monster.

Zato

Banned
Lies OP, it’s The Sopranos.

The Wire, Breaking Bad all have drops in quality ..... The Wire has entire seasons that are shit but The Sopranos is quality from start to finish.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Lies OP, it’s The Sopranos.

The Wire, Breaking Bad all have drops in quality ..... The Wire has entire seasons that are shit but The Sopranos is quality from start to finish.

Only the 5th season was meh.. the others were great. Especially the 2nd

I thought that BB was okay. It never grabbed me but it was enjoyable.
Would be lots better without Jessie tho. He’s one the most annoying characters in a show I have seen.

Last edited:
Better Call Saul has already surpassed Breaking Bad though. It is still excellent but The Wire is the king.

Lol @ The Sopranos being mentioned in any GOAT list and talked up as quality from start to finish. Not with those kids storylines that go nowhere, way too much Janice, dropped plotlines and Vito's awful, terribly written character played by a horrible actor. Such an overrated show.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's one of the all times great for sure.

The greatest? I don't know about that.

Better call saul from the same family in his best episode is at least as good if not better.

Last edited:

wachie

I rarely ever give movies or shows a perfect score even if I love them but Breaking Bad is 10/10.

The show is perfect. I can rewatch it over and over and watching it again on AMC right now.

I should own the series on Blu-ray or VUDU one day.

I love this show. Almost nothing comes close into how compelling it is, with great characters and actors, stories, etc.
Agreed!

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
It's one of the all times great for sure.

The greatest? I don't know about that.

Better call saul from the same family in his best episode is at least as good if not better.
I couldn't get in to Better Call Saul, personally. It's a well-made show with great performances and Bob Odenkirk is amazing as Saul, but it's a very different pace from Breaking Bad. You have to really care for the Saul character and want to see the progression of it, it just felt far too slow for me.

I can see why some people would prefer it though. Especially if you enjoy shows with that type of pace, and it seems to do it well.

Cutty Flam

Banned

AxMHjMK.gif

carlosrox

Banned
Breaking Bad and The Shield are the two best shows ever.

I had/have a full on obsession with BB. Seen every episode numerous times along with straight up watching the show in its entirety like 3 times now. I've almost killed it by this point.

The Shield is just as good, if not better than BB so any fans of BB/excellent TV really needs to get on The Shield. It obviously inspired BB as well. It shares quite a bit in common.

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Breaking Bad and The Shield are the two best shows ever.

I had/have a full on obsession with BB. Seen every episode numerous times along with straight up watching the show in its entirety like 3 times now. I've almost killed it by this point.

The Shield is just as good, if not better than BB so any fans of BB/excellent TV really needs to get on The Shield. It obviously inspired BB as well. It shares quite a bit in common.
I still need to get in to The Shield. I heard really good things. You can't beat a good cop show. The main guy kind of looks like Hank from Breaking Bad, too.

tumblr_lo8y5sACTZ1qcjzcm.gif

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
They make a joke about that in the "Breaking Bad Alternate Ending" Malcom in the Middle thing.

This is pretty great.

Why haven't I seen this before? That was brilliant! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It really makes you realise how amazing of an actor Bryan Cranston is. He's totally unrecognisable in Malcolm in the Middle as Hal. It's hard to not see Walter White now.

Jessie ruined it for me. That guy was such a bitch. He’s the reason Walter died. I just can’t stand him.

This is the dumbest review of Breaking Bad I have ever seen(and I've read like 3 of them). Is it a haiku or something? I'm not very poetically-inclined. How exactly is he the reason Walter died?

carlosrox

Banned
Breaking Bad lovers should 100% be The Shield lovers.

They're equally good, really. And as I mentioned earlier, they're also similar in some ways.

I think The Shield is probably darker in the end though. Tough call.

Seriously, any Breaking Bad lovers go love The Shield nowwwwww.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The Sopranos went downhill after season 4. The final seasons were just ughh. So many dream episodes that I couldn’t stand and the writing really took a hit. Peak Sopranos was amazing though, no question.

Breaking Bad was the king of consistency. It had some amazing peaks, but maybe they weren’t quite as jaw dropping as some other shows, but it was consistently great and rarely ever dipped below great at any point. Consistency is the name of the game with television and it ended pretty well. Many shows don’t know how to end.

Last edited:
This is the dumbest review of Breaking Bad I have ever seen(and I've read like 3 of them). Is it a haiku or something? I'm not very poetically-inclined. How exactly is he the reason Walter died?
It’s not a review. It’s my opinion. There are a lot of Jessie Pinkma fanboys out there. A character without fortitude and resilience. Walt threw his life and the life of his family away for nothing.

carlosrox

Banned
Jessie ruined it for me. That guy was such a bitch. He’s the reason Walter died. I just can’t stand him.

That doesn't make him a bad character. He's an excellent character.

Walter is and isn't a piece of shit. Same with Jesse. Same with Vic Mackey though he's probably worse than Walter White?

Watch The Shield and go find out 🤣

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
It’s not a review. It’s my opinion. There are a lot of Jessie Pinkma fanboys out there. A character without fortitude and resilience. Walt threw his life and the life of his family away for nothing.
I personally disagree. At least with how I viewed him when watching. I think Jesse is a remarkable character that shows plenty of resilience. The fact he's still able to keep going despite all the stuff that happens to him says a lot about his character.

Walt got a bit too greedy. He could have stopped when he was well off, but he was addicted to the lifestyle.

thefool

I finally watched it all. Can't really say I agree with the title thread but it was a thoroughly entertaining journey and I was surprised how much I liked the final season.

On the other hand, just started Better Caul Saul and was very underwhelmed by the pilot. Hope it picks up.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I finally watched it all. Can't really say I agree with the title thread but it was a thoroughly entertaining journey and I was surprised how much I liked the final season.

On the other hand, just started Better Caul Saul and was very underwhelmed by the pilot. Hope it picks up.
You have to think of Better Call Saul as not Breaking Bad. It's so different, pace-wise and theme-wise. Unless you really like the Saul character, it may not grab you.

I personally gave up after a few episodes, but it's not a bad show. Just not for me.

thefool

You have to think of Better Call Saul as not Breaking Bad. It's so different, pace-wise and theme-wise. Unless you really like the Saul character, it may not grab you.

I personally gave up after a few episodes, but it's not a bad show. Just not for me.

I loved him. That's probably one of the major reasons why BB was so entertaining to me, the amount of colorful unique characters, being Saul one of many.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I loved him. That's probably one of the major reasons why BB was so entertaining to me, the amount of colorful unique characters, being Saul one of many.
I would say stick with it then for a few more episodes. See if it grabs you.
Currently binge-watching Better Call Saul and it's great. Season 3-4 is special.
I have heard that the later seasons resemble Breaking Bad a bit more. I briefly watched the clip of Hank on Better Call Saul, and it's slowly catching up to Breaking Bad's timeline. Apparently they are ending it before it gets there though, right?

mortal

Gold Member
It's really good no doubt, but there are too many other interesting shows exploring different ideas to just call one "the best ever made"

Top Bottom