• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad Is The Best Show Ever Made

Dark Star

Breaking Bad just scratches that itch for me. I've seen it all the way through 4 times, and it just ages like fine wine. The writing, acting, the directing, the plot and characters are awesome. Every frame feels essential and calculated. I can't think of a single moment in BB that was pointless or just thrown in. It's a show that I'll rewatch again and again. Even Better Call Saul doesn't really have the exact same effect on me, it's not as dark or gritty. Shows like The Sporanos, The Wire, etc are fantastic, but that don't have the same impact as BB for me.

Bryan Cranston is also the best actor ever

tdy_pop_superbowl_ad_sprite_200130_1920x1080.focal-760x428.jpg

Last edited:
Twin Peaks is my favorite, but BB's damn close (and probably the almost objective best next to The Sopranos / The Wire / True Detective S1).

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I agree, Breaking Bad is the greatest show ever.

However, I'll say this. Even though I have Breaking Bad #1, if you told me right now, I could pick one TV series to continue on for another 5 seasons, I'd choose Game of Thrones. While Game of Thrones with the way it ended can't have me critically rating it above BB, watching it was more of an "experience" if that makes sense. I looked forward to it more every week and every season, I got into the lore. Something about GOT will always stick with me more even though I think BB was the better show from beginning to end.

I could never put The Sopranos #1. Seasons 1-4 rank up there with any 4 seasons of TV ever, but it gradually got worse, and the final couple seasons were a boring mess. When David Chase stopped giving a shit and pumped the show with nothing but dream episodes, therapy sessions and AJ's drama.

Last edited:
This is an older episode, but AVGN pretty much feels the way I do.

Only exception is I found "Fly" to be the worst episode but it was James' favorite.

Great Hair

Banned
The best? It was repetitive, monotone and most of the time we only saw them sitting at the table having no conversation at all, for 5 seasons. The kid was useless, just attrezzo sitting there for 5 seasons, did not get 15min of "fame" and for some reason he had to be disabled :

"Oh no! He has cancer AND a disabled kid? .... on top of a flat tire!, a nice pizza on the roof and his wife is frigid as well?!?!!!" Dis guy gonna go krazy!!!

Somehow Breaking Bad and Double Dragon have lots in common. Both start somewhere, fight thru what life throws at them, for a common goal, eventually they reach the final stage of each season and beat the boss before moving on to WORLD 1-2.

Difference between the two?
Bim and Jim didnt do METH! :messenger_grinning_squinting:

I think Better Call Saul is the superior show.

It does some things better than Breaking Bad, but it can't stand alone without leaning on its source material. Also its pacing is pretty bad. Jimmy took like 5 seasons just to start becoming Saul. Kim has been teetering between being good as gold and also becoming like Saul for so long I am almost starting to lose interest. Gus and Mike fit far better in Breaking Bad and almost feel shoehorned into BCS.

Also just wanted to mention Succession is on its way to becoming one of my top shows. Succession -> BCS #1 and #2 in terms of best shows currently on TV IMO.

Last edited:

desertdroog

Breaking Bad is still my number 1 rated series.

Then the following are equal in rank:

Mad Men
Better Call Saul
The Sopranos

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i wouldn't say best show but it's damn good start to finish. not a lot of shows can manage that. Breaking Bad was the first show that seemed to really make TV format what it is today. Other shows that helped kick it off were The Walking Dead + Game of Thrones but we all know how they ended up.

also El Camino was a good movie and Better Call Saul is just as good if not better than Breaking Bad.

Shift!

school is not a home, it's a kind of prison. I thought that was translated in the show extremely well. None of the characters ever "graduated," except Jesse of course.

stn

In terms of dramas, I may like Mad Men just a tad bit more. Either way, BB is in my top 5 shows of all time (Seinfeld, Mad Men, BB, Frasier, 24).

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Breaking Bad is the only show to make me absolutely obsessed.

I'm not just talking minor excitement and curiosity to see the next episode, I'm talking full-scale "I have to see this now!"

I think there was one day where I almost watched an entire Season before stopping myself.

giphy.gif

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I recently did a rewatch for the first time after catching up on Better Call Saul

BB is only slightly behind Sopranos for GOAT

I also found I hated Skylar way less on rewatch, and felt more sympathy. Walter absolutely ruined her life
I felt the same. Even though Walt did a lot of bad stuff during the show, you go on such a journey with him the first time that it is hard to hate him completely. On a rewatch you realise how manipulative and detestable he can be at times, Bryan Cranston is a hell of an actor. Skyler is still quite annoying at moments, but Anna Gunn is fantastic honestly.

Yoboman

I felt the same. Even though Walt did a lot of bad stuff during the show, you go on such a journey with him the first time that it is hard to hate him completely. On a rewatch you realise how manipulative and detestable he can be at times, Bryan Cranston is a hell of an actor. Skyler is still quite annoying at moments, but Anna Gunn is fantastic honestly.
Agree, when it was week to week you just get the feeling she is annoying and standing in Walt's way

But on rewatch I just saw her have this humble nice life with two kids get torn away from her after she supported him through cancer. And then do her best to support his illegal bullshit while everyone in her family thinks she is a bitch. She never turned on him. And by the end she is like a beaten housewife living in some low end dump with all the media scrutiny

Her acting was great and I liked the character a lot more second time through

She did fuck Ted though

Also Walt is just one erratic mother fucker. He could have made it work so many times if not for his ego

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Agree, when it was week to week you just get the feeling she is annoying and standing in Walt's way

But on rewatch I just saw her have this humble nice life with two kids get torn away from her after she supported him through cancer. And then do her best to support his illegal bullshit while everyone in her family thinks she is a bitch. She never turned on him. And by the end she is like a beaten housewife living in some low end dump with all the media scrutiny

Her acting was great and I liked the character a lot more second time through

She did fuck Ted though

Also Walt is just one erratic mother fucker. He could have made it work so many times if not for his ego
The problem with Walt is he started to enjoy the feeling of power. Even Skyler showing him the huge stack of money isn't enough to deter him. It stops being about the money for him.

1814977.main_image.gif

Peggies

Gold Member
I tried watching it but it was just too sad that he was incurably sick from the beginning, since he seemed like a really nice guy. And boy, I despised that wife of his. What a cunt!

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
The Wire (def #1, the rest is hard to decide)
The Sopranos
Breaking Bad
Lost seasons 1-3
Mad Men
The Wire is definitely up there. Completely engrossing show with some of the best dialogue and realism you are going to get.

xrnzaaas

It's not the best but among the best. Imo it went on for a little too long so it had some forced twists in later seasons. Still an enjoyable watch and I wouldn't mind rewatching it someday.

Nvzman

After watching both BB and The Sopranos recently, I have no idea how BB is even considered to be on the same level as something like The Sopranos. Breaking Bad is a show thats an amazing thrill your first watch (that has some extremely all-over-the-place pacing and annoying characters), but its literally just that. On repeat viewings its really uninteresting and most of the magic is lost. The Sopranos is a show where every episode you could re-watch 3 times over and notice little things you didn't before, and its a show that delivers what its trying to do perfectly. Everything, every scene, has a deliberate purpose that has some sort of meaning. I find that people who berate the later seasons of the show completely missed the point of why it got much more depressing and gloomy. The beginning of the second episode of Season 1 literally spells it out with that television interview that
the days of the mafia are ending, and its not going to end well. And by the shows end, things certainly go south.

John2290

It's up there with Detective S1
True Detective season 1? If so, agreed. Nothing has ever surpassed that, such a pity they couldn't re-bottle the lightning. The stars really aligned with that show.

@OP aside from True Detective season 1 there are a few others but like Armonian said it's right up there, the first season of West world is pretty fucking amazing if you go into it not knowing a thing or the concept. Black mirror before Netflix. Maniac with Jonah hIll. Fargo season 1. One thing about Breaking bad is it's fantastic from Season 1 ep 1 to the finale.

Top Bottom