• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad Is The Best Show Ever Made

Bigrx1

Banned
I agree - I was really LTTP in it and kind of tired of the hype for it to be honest, but my friend kept pestering me to watch it. Took a while to click for me, but I was pretty speechless by the end.

I can’t say I even liked hardly any of the characters, but it was just so emotionally crushing and raw at times, and so incredibly well done

MaestroMike

Gold Member
I hate not having Internet on PC. I really want to see Better Call Maul. It looks like Mike is even in it. I love that character.

BmkVWid.jpg

lol hes in it a lot its still on netflix season 4 is getting released in one week!! i'm so excited :)

I agree - I was really LTTP in it and kind of tired of the hype for it to be honest, but my friend kept pestering me to watch it. Took a while to click for me, but I was pretty speechless by the end.

I can’t say I even liked hardly any of the characters, but it was just so emotionally crushing and raw at times, and so incredibly well done
The characters and casting was one of the highlights for me. Cranston is nothing short of amazing and I love Dean Norris' character. He legit reminds me of a couple people I know.

I'm a sci-fi dork but my weekend was fulfilled watching the Breaking Bad marathon and Flight. Denzel Washington's performance is stellar. If he didn't get at least nominated for Best Actor for that role. I'd report a crime.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
hey GAF I think the bad brakes is reel good but I haven’t watched the sopranos or wire yet am I in for a treat?

Just got dat HBO login from my parents at the superb bowl dingaling I bets k can ketchup...👀

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've tried watching some shows like Sopranos and Game of Thrones.

Boring as fuck in season one so I quit after a bunch of episodes for both series.

Punisher was another one. I grinded through season 1. And bailed ship mid way through season 2.

I'd rather watch Castlevania vs. some of these episodic tv series. At least Castevania episodes are 20 minutes and move at a decent clip.

It's like half these series that are about 45-60 minutes per show are 50% filler.

I've heard people at work say Breaking Bad is a fantastic show...... tempted to try it. But might be a let down if it doesn't move fast enough to keep my interest.

Do the first episodes of BB move fast? Or boring shit.... where it's better to skip to like episode 8 kind of thing?

Last edited:

brap

Banned
I've tried watching some shows like Sopranos and Game of Thrones.

Boring as fuck in season one so I quit after a bunch of episodes for both series.

Punisher was another one. I grinded through season 1. And bailed ship mid way through season 2.

I'd rather watch Castlevania vs. some of these episodic tv series. At least Castevania episodes are 20 minutes and move at a decent clip.

It's like half these series that are about 45-60 minutes per show are 50% filler.

I've heard people at work say Breaking Bad is a fantastic show...... tempted to try it. But might be a let down if it doesn't move fast enough to keep my interest.

Do the first episodes of BB move fast? Or boring shit.... where it's better to skip to like episode 8 kind of thing?
I hear there's this show called Family Guy that's probably more your speed.

It's ok. It's no Full Metal Alchemist. But, then again, what is.
This is
61b1z5n6JnL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Some of the character arcs made breaking bad less than perfect, chiefly the dragged out Pinkman episodes where he goes through multiple little bitch-syndrome anxiety attacks. Yes we get it, he's a sensitive junkie battling with the concepts of right and wrong. But we didn't need almost 2 seasons worth of episodes to paint that picture. I just don't find junkies and their pathetic antics all that interesting.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Errrrr..... No. The Wire is the BEST show ever made, bitch.

Some of the character arcs made breaking bad less than perfect, chiefly the dragged out Pinkman episodes where he goes through multiple little bitch-syndrome anxiety attacks. Yes we get it, he's a sensitive junkie battling with the concepts of right and wrong. But we didn't need almost 2 seasons worth of episodes to paint that picture. I just don't find junkies and their pathetic antics all that interesting.
The only episode I legit didn't like was the Rian Johnson ditected one proving that almost any sequel or series he touches turns to shit.

I guess Knives Out was good but that's not a sequel afaik.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Hands down the best. I dislike shows for their regretfully poor vision and imagination. Breaking Bad however, is genius work. As someone who has been involved, somewhat--to a degree, around that kind of life, that type of life...it's shocking how powerfully deep Vince Gilligan managed to go into the truths of the matter. That show is immaculately made

You really do lose all that money you feverishly chased and stacked over the years
Your family does drift away from you because you've attached yourself to a lifestyle most never turn their backs on
And you really can lose damn near everything and you will parish from those mistakes you've made; it's all the choices you've made and you walk your own path

Boggles my fucking mind, Breaking Bad....10/10, greatest cinema I think I'll ever experience in my lifetime is what I'm thinking

Cutty Flam

Banned
I hate not having Internet on PC. I really want to see Better Call Maul. It looks like Mike is even in it. I love that character.

BmkVWid.jpg
Better Call Saul is excellent. There are some extremely intriguing characters and situations taking place in the show. I can hardly wait for season five. It's coming out this month!!

Hands down the best. I dislike shows for their regretfully poor vision and imagination. Breaking Bad however, is genius work. As someone who has been involved, somewhat--to a degree, around that kind of life, that type of life...it's shocking how powerfully deep Vince Gilligan managed to go into the truths of the matter. That show is immaculately made

You really do lose all that money you feverishly chased and stacked over the years
Your family does drift away from you because you've attached yourself to a lifestyle most never turn their backs on
And you really can lose damn near everything and you will parish from those mistakes you've made; it's all the choices you've made and you walk your own path

Boggles my fucking mind, Breaking Bad....10/10, greatest cinema I think I'll ever experience in my lifetime is what I'm thinking
I love how a lot of the reactions from characters are believable. An issue that usually grinds me gears in shows and movies is how unrealistic character reactions can be. Like a character will see an alien or supernatural being and will be surprised at first but then behave normally a couple minutes later as if they just witnessed an everyday event.

Muddafreaker, you just experienced a life changing event that would shatter 99 percent of people's worldview but you acting like a dog just pooped on your Sketchers at most. Stop nay nay.

Orpheum

I agree it's amazing. Season 4 was a bit of a drag i think but overall it's superb. Brian Cranston just nails it

Leprech

Might as well drop some shows i thought were pretty good.
Mr robot, The Expanse, Better Call Saul, Vikings early seasons, The shield, The Wire (a bit overrated), True Detective first season, GoT early seasons (duh), Rick and Morty, Altered Carbon.

Last edited:
Mr robot, The Expanse, Better Call Saul, Vikings early seasons, The shield, The Wire (a bit overrated), True Detective first season, GoT early seasons (duh), Rick and Morty, Altered Carbon.
I've seen the first two seasons of The Expanse and really enjoyed it. It's no BB, but it's good solid stuffers.

Roufianos

True Detective S1 is a masterpiece, better even than Breaking Bad in my opinion.

S3 is fantastic too.

Agree about Vikings, I'm surprised such a great show seems so niche. I never see anyone talking about it. It doesn't reach the same heights as GoT but it's consistently entertaining.

Sounds like I need to watch The Wire, Sopranos, Shield and Band of Brothers.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Everyone already mentioned the obvious ones so I'm gonna go to bat for Fargo.

Every season tells a different story and is great in its own way, while keeping some themes and ideas consistent across the whole show, always a stellar cast. It's got nothing to do directly with the movie, but an adaptation like this has no right to be as good as it is.

E-Cat

Yeah The Sopranos is amazing as well.

Also OP, did you check out the BB spinoff, Better Call Saul? Good shit too.
BCS is a slow burn, a more nuanced and a mature show than BB, with amazing character building.

At times, I prefer it to BB.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Eh nah. Vince Gilligan altered his vision in fear of fan backlash and changed the ending. Meanwhile David Chase never faltered for better or worse.

Also Skyla is a fucking annoying road block character for half of the show.

Dural

Watched it due to the hype and didn't think it lived up to it, I loved the first season but thought it went down hill from there.

Dexter I'd say is tops for me, with season 4 being the greatest single season of any series.

IKSTUGA

100% agree. No other show comes even close for me. Game of Thrones and Dexter had their moments, but BB was 5/5 from start to finish.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
The best show ever is Game Of Thrones up until season six.

Then is the Sopranos.

Then is Lost up until season 3.

Then True Detective's first season.

DonJorginho

Banned
Breaking Bad will always be my favourite, followed by The Sopranos, Hannibal, House Of Cards (Pre SpaceyGate) and Being Human (the OG UK version).

The Office US & UK are also good shouts too.

Good/great show, but I can think of at least two better ones:

The Wire >>> Better Call Saul >> Breaking Bad. Wire and BCS have more nuance and (the Wire especially) more substance. They're better for repeat viewings and have acting at least as good as Breaking Bad.

A lot of times I feel Breaking Bad would've worked more strongly as a big crime flick. I mean there're episodes like Fly which are basically filler, you can skip over them and lose nothing in the context of things. I can't say the same about The Wire or Better Call Saul.

Also, I'm gonna be that person and say that El Camino kind of sullied me on post-Breaking Bad storyline. It was a decent flick but not as good as it could've been. Felt more like an epilogue episode for the original series (and can we talk about Todd? Sonofabitch must be a pufferfish seeing how big he got in-between what was literally meant to be only a few days in-series timescale. Definitely was jarring to see).

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Good/great show, but I can think of at least two better ones:

The Wire >>> Better Call Saul >> Breaking Bad. Wire and BCS have more nuance and (the Wire especially) more substance. They're better for repeat viewings and have acting at least as good as Breaking Bad.

A lot of times I feel Breaking Bad would've worked more strongly as a big crime flick. I mean there're episodes like Fly which are basically filler, you can skip over them and lose nothing in the context of things. I can't say the same about The Wire or Better Call Saul.

Also, I'm gonna be that person and say that El Camino kind of sullied me on post-Breaking Bad storyline. It was a decent flick but not as good as it could've been. Felt more like an epilogue episode for the original series (and can we talk about Todd? Sonofabitch must be a pufferfish seeing how big he got in-between what was literally meant to be only a few days in-series timescale. Definitely was jarring to see).

Fat Todd was a vibeeeeee, also the fact that everyone looked so much older, it was never going to work well and tbh I didn't really need that closure as I thought that was what would had happened anyway.

Fat Todd was a vibeeeeee, also the fact that everyone looked so much older, it was never going to work well and tbh I didn't really need that closure as I thought that was what would had happened anyway.

Yeah Fat Todd was super distracting, because I'm sitting here thinking "how did pack on like 80 pounds in 2-3 days?" xD. Skinny Pete also looked notably aged but at least still same size.

Badger and Jesse looked closest to their chars from end of the original series by far, so I could buy into it being a short while after the last ep when it was them on the screen.

Paltheos

Not a fan of Breaking Bad. The idea is supposed to be that Walter White is corrupted over time and... he kinda is, but even from the very first episode it's clear that he's always been kind of an asshole. He just becomes more of a dick over time, so the impact is muted.

Also Jessie is mad annoying. He's just an incompetent stooge who I don't care about and don't feel I'm given good reason to be interested in who runs into predictable problems and creates plot lines because of said incompetence.

The show is not above wasting my time with stupid sideplots either. Who cares that Marie is a kleptomaniac? What does it add to the show?

Edit: Maybe a 3/5? It tries really really hard to show you it's super serious but respects neither my time nor my intelligence. I think even a 3 is generous though, but I'm having a tough time reconciling how well received this show is and what I thought most of the time watching it (and I made it to the last season before I stopped). There are definitely elements of the show I really like but the bulk of it is kinda shit.

Last edited:

Gp1

Sounds like I need to watch The Wire, Sopranos, Shield and Band of Brothers.

Definitely go for The Shield if you think that BD is GOAT.

In a lot of ways, The Shield is the pioneer in what BB was recognized for (not to say the pioneer in what TV series became)

The premises are similar. Vic Mackey is as interesting as Walter with similar dramas, but Vic Mackey... is Vic Mackey. IMHO he's the OG Walter that don't make that :messenger_fearful: face that Walter does from time to time.
The supporting cast and the peace is way better in The Shield , but the dynamic between these characters and the lead are similar. And The Shield have one of the best if not the best, season finales/series finales of all time.

Just go watch the damn thing

Last edited:

eot

Banned
A few of the things that drag down Breaking Bad for me are the constant cliffhanger-ish episode endings, many of the shows mentioned in this thread as being better don't resort to that, and they are better for it. I don't think the villains are good, I can't take Tuco seriously, the twins are so ridiculous they fully take me out of the moment, and even Gustavo who's the main antagonist is honestly on the cheesy side. If you look at a show like The Wire, there are hints of that with characters like Brother Mouzone, but they don't go over the line and the believability of the characters is consistently higher. It's hard to make direct comparison though, because The Wire is the closest thing TV has ever come to something that compares to great works of literature, such as those of Tolstoy. Breaking Bad doesn't aspire to that.

I will concede that the cinematography in Breaking Bad is some of the best I've seen in a TV show.

Last edited:
Top Bottom