• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 5, Part 2 - The Final Eight Episodes - Sundays on AMC - OT2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This episode was all about Walter's chickens coming home to roost, so I can see why people feel sympathetic towards him.

1) He truly did not want Hank to die. He was prepared to lose everything, his money and his freedom, and allow Hank to arrest him to ensure his safety. And when things went bad he begged and pleaded for Hank's life when even Hank would not.

2) Skyler turned on him. She laundered the money; she convinced Walter to murder Jesse. She's every bit as complicit in the family business and "broke bad" a long time ago...she and Lydia are almost twins. She was immediately willing to rollover on Walter when pressured by Marie, had no interest in hearing Walter's story once she discovered he was free, attempted to kill him, and ran him out of the house.

3) The phone call. He made himself look like a piece of shit to the cops to help portray Skyler as the abused and ignorant wife. I can only assume that his taking Holly was part of this plan...why else would the cops tap his line so quickly?

The only thing Walter did that could be considered evil is what he did to Jesse, but knowing Jesse's role in the death of his brother-in-law I don't really blame him. He sold Walter out when Walter time after time vouched for Jesse, protected Jesse, and gave Jesse the benefit of the doubt.

help i'm dyign

jtb

Banned
This episode was all about Walter's chickens coming home to roost, so I can see why people feel sympathetic towards him.

1) He truly did not want Hank to die. He was prepared to lose everything, his money and his freedom, and allow Hank to arrest him to ensure his safety. And when things went bad he begged and pleaded for Hank's life when even Hank would not.

2) Skyler turned on him. She laundered the money; she convinced Walter to murder Jesse. She's every bit as complicit in the family business and "broke bad" a long time ago...she and Lydia are almost twins. She was immediately willing to rollover on Walter when pressured by Marie, had no interest in hearing Walter's story once she discovered he was free, attempted to kill him, and ran him out of the house.

3) The phone call. He made himself look like a piece of shit to the cops to help portray Skyler as the abused and ignorant wife. I can only assume that his taking Holly was part of this plan...why else would the cops tap his line so quickly?

The only thing Walter did that could be considered evil is what he did to Jesse, but knowing Jesse's role in the death of his brother-in-law I don't really blame him. He sold Walter out when Walter time after time vouched for Jesse, protected Jesse, and gave Jesse the benefit of the doubt.

He didn't want all these bad things to happen and yet he put into motion every single one of them. That doesn't make Walt less "evil," just an idiot and a spineless hypocrite.

Salmonax

I dont even know if we're watching the same show now. Did you actually pay attention to what was happening this episode? How can you say he shows no regret after two of the most powerful and heartbreaking scenes in the series?

Totally agree with your posts. If Walter White were completely unsympathetic in every way, the show would be terrible. Our relationship with him is meant to be much more nuanced than that, which is the entire reason Gillian cast Cranston, who can be likeable even as he does miserable things. All this team stuff seemingly started as parody of Twilight fandom, but the parody element seems to have disintegrated for some.

On top of that, one doesn't have to approve of a character's actions to enjoy the character. And enjoying a character who does heinous things has no correlation to one's actual sense of morality. I feel like I'm stating the incredibly obvious, but some of these discussions make me wonder.

All these dead characters appearing all of a sudden? It sounds like Vince Gilligan hired the Dexter showrunners to write an episode.

I have solved this I believe.

Jesse suddenly enters the Neo-Nazi meth lab. There, he sees before him, sniggering, Gus, Mike, and Jane standing before him, cloaked in the darkness opposite him. Jesse gasps "What's the deal yo?" and turns around to find that Meth Damon is not beside him.
"Join us", they chant in agony.
"No, no, no" Jesse, cries, backing away, being blocked by the corpse-cold metallic gate behind him which has the sole light in the room beaming towards it. He looks up towards the light and catches a brief glimpse of Gale smiling before Major Gale rides away on his rocketship into the light. Jesse finds himself slowly being dragged by the ghosts into the darkness; unable to resist, he finds himself in a void, unable to see anything. He stumbles over what he realises is Tuco's ghost corpse as it tells him Jesse's ass is "tight tight tight" and eventually he becomes very chilly. Before him, a blue throne sits before him, and he shuts his eyes, unwilling to look up at the top. Eventually, a rabid yet easily controllable dog bites him; it's Todd! He runs to the top of the throne and Walter pets him (Ghost Skyler is also a dog since that's a popular opinion), with two large shards of meth protruding from the sides of his head; and ice flames spring up all around him inside the darknes.
"Looks like Mister White is the devil Jesse; you never should have got involved with him maybe" Ghost Gale whispers to Jesse from the shadows.

We are then left to contemplate whether the entire show was Jesse's metaphorical journey into hell after he died as a teenager following Walter's relentless demeaning mockery of him in high school (and failing him), his parent's rejection, Jane stealing all of his sweats, Tuco hitting him with his school bag, Todd physically assaulting to him and tying him to a tree using his underwear, Skyler refusing to date him, and Gale being friendly to him but Jesse had to abandon him due to Gale being considered aloof.

In case anybody hasn't realized it yet: We went all the way to Walt leaving ABQ and starting a new life, but he never killed Skyler or Jesse.

All that speculation about the jacket and bacon.

Yep, that's a big one indeed. Skyler's death is still a possibility before Walter returns (but not likely) as Lydia is going to be...displeased (side note: Jesse was never considered as much as Skyler was since the jacket was also considered Todd but yes, the jacket's irrelevant now).

jtb

Banned
Walter White is completely unsympathetic. That doesn't make the show bad, it makes the show what it is. If there's one thing that this series is about, it's about Walt's lies—and the fact is, at the end of the line, he's the only one left believing his lies. That doesn't make him sympathetic, but it does make him a very compelling character.

Is Humbert Humbert a completely unsympathetic and unlikable character? Yes. And just like Walt, his number one defining characteristic is that he is a liar. Likability, sympathy... I couldn't care less. Give me a compelling character and write them well, and compelling stories will always follow.

Raiden

Banned
He regrets fucking up. Are you telling me that he has shown regret in anything before this last episode?

A little bit of regret is also nothing. Did you not see him kidnap his baby? Did you not see him order Nazi's to shoot Jesse? Did you not see him content in letting Jesse's girlfriend die and using that to mock him? Come on. A few tears because he fucked up his family is no redemption. All of the death is 100% due to his actions.

To add to his crimes, he dealt with Nazi's with no issue, he ran some people over and he tried to frame his brother in law.

Kidnap his baby and a few moments later put his baby back to safety. He ran over two drugdealers about to kill Jesse. Drugdealers who shot a kid. He did not try to frame his brother in law, he was trying to blackmail them into leaving him alone. If he wanted to frame them he would have send the tape to the DEA.

Also the only reason he ordered a hit on Jesse was because he was threatening his family. He would have let him go with that guy from Saul. Its actually what he wanted for Jesse to have a fresh start away from the misery and decay.

Also a few tears? How are you watching this thing anyway? That phonecall scene of Walt trying to act delusion and anger whilst holding back tears will go down in tv-history as one of the greatest scenes ever and you just described it as "just a few tears"

Valhelm

contribute something
He's a pretty insignificant character, but I hope we get to see more of Jack's son.

He seems a little intriguing, and god damn can he rock that mustache.

T.O.P

Banned
I think the best thing about this episode is that we can finally put #TeamWalt to bed and move on.

lol never

also when he said to Jesse the truth about Jane i'm thinking that it was his way to prepare him for what has to come

hell not that i'm trying to figure what the fuck is going to happen next, but now that Jesse is still alive, he'll be the one to kill Walt

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Man, that shot with the old pair of pants is gonna make one HELL of a good blooper, you just know Bryan did something hilarious there.

inm8num2

I think that's Plan A as far as possible outcomes, and the most probable.

The main issue to be resolved, in my mind, is what pushes Walt over the edge to come back. With what you've laid out, it could be tricky to get the info to Walt that his family is in danger. He wouldn't know about them going into witness protection if they did, and unless they do something drastic, he wouldn't know they were attacked. You could imagine Walt seeing in the news/paper about his home being attacked and that prompts him into action, but it seems unlikely to reconcile that with the DEA control of the house, etc. Ultimately the main thing that seems missing from Plan A is how a clear, compelling message to Walt arrives that promotes action. How does he know his family is in danger?

I think Walt may periodically check in with Saul, and that's how he might learn something that leads to him buying an M60.

Plan B is, Jesse is stuck in the lab. Todd learns enough to run the cook on his own, and time is running out for Jesse. The operation expands, with the blue stuff appearing in NH where Walt is hiding out. When Walt finds people using the blue even in NH, Walt realizes he can't truly escape what he has built, and that he must tear it down. Whether or not he does it to save Jesse is up in the air. He might "know" he's alive because the blue has returned and he knows the nazis couldn't make his purity. Or he might just figure they got it out of Jesse before he died.
That seems pretty likely, too.
Regardless, he returns to take down the meth empire/kill Lydia. Jesse either commits suicide in a tragic "you got here too late, Walt" kind of moment, or Walt frees Jesse, and Jesse ends up killing Walt while they watch the nazi stronghold burn to the ground.

I can't see Jesse dying at this point. He's come too far and suffered too much. He has very big reasons to see through this alive and make sure that Walt's reign as Heisenberg comes to a true end. That's why I gravitate toward Jesse escaping and Walt putting an end once and for all to his meth empire.

I'd almost love to see a scene with Walt just sitting by himself somewhere after he's killed Lydia and the Nazi bunch, then Jesse shows up. They talk for a little bit then Jesse shoots him. Jesse ponders for a moment and walks away. Cut to black.

Episode was depressing as hell. It's like -- I definitely wanted the plot to go there, but now that it has, I'm a sad, sad panda. Funny how out of everything that went down, I felt most gratified when Walt finally called that monster of human being aka Maleficent aka Skyler a bitch.

Wow. Just wow. Some people are clearly watching an entirely different show. And their show is pretty inferior to ya know... The show.

Klocker

Totally agree with your posts. If Walter White were completely unsympathetic in every way, the show would be terrible. Our relationship with him is meant to be much more nuanced than that, which is the entire reason Gillian cast Cranston, who can be likeable even as he does miserable things. All this team stuff seemingly started as parody of Twilight fandom, but the parody element seems to have disintegrated for some.

On top of that, one doesn't have to approve of a character's actions to enjoy the character. And enjoying a character who does heinous things has no correlation to one's actual sense of morality. I feel like I'm stating the incredibly obvious, but some of these discussions make me wonder.

well said

Tookay

I think everybody recognizes that Walt is a great character, who drives a lot of story. He's probably one of the best conceived characters ever.

It's when you've got people saying "I HOPE WALT KILLS THAT SNITCH JESSE" or "Skyler is a BITCH" or "everybody on this show is grey so we cannot distinguish between shades or even consider Walt a bad guy" - ie, interpreting the story in ridiculous ways that the writers clearly never considered to suggest a bizarre morality behind Walt's actions - that others get a little irked.

-griffy-

Banned
The only thing Walter did that could be considered evil is what he did to Jesse

You don't think a fugitive drug dealer/murderer, trying to talk his way out of Hank being dead, trying to get his family to go on the run with him and starting a new life is bad? Kidnapping his own daughter with the intention of disappearing with her, stealing her from her family for the foreseeable future (before thinking better of it)?

If you only look at things from his perspective it's easy to feel sympathetic, I mean he just wants to keep the family together, to keep things normal and move on, to get a fresh start. But you need to realize how delusional Walt is at this point, and looking at it from any outside perspective shows how bad nearly all of Walt's actions are, outside of begging for Hank's life, before the phone call to Skyler.

He's a pretty insignificant character, but I hope we get to see more of Jack's son.

He seems a little intriguing, and god damn can he rock that mustache.
I don't think Kenny is his son, but he does wear the 'stache well. I imagine he'll get a little more screen time in the final two.

ultron87

Walt actually admitting that he is at least partly responsible for everything that happened would be the first step towards making him in any way sympathetic. That's the kind of realization he'd need to come for it to actually make any sense for him to come back for Jesse, who he currently entirely blames for Hank's death and everything going to shit.

Mononoke

Banned
I think the best thing about this episode is that we can finally put #TeamWalt to bed and move on.

You are assuming everyone that is #teamwalt thinks he's a sympathetic hero. Some support Walt because he's a villain. In that case him telling Jesse about Jane was awesome.

Raiden

Banned

Exactly.

It actually makes me wonder how some people watch films or series with the focus on the anti-hero at all.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
He regrets fucking up. Are you telling me that he has shown regret in anything before this last episode?

A little bit of regret is also nothing. Did you not see him kidnap his baby? Did you not see him order Nazi's to shoot Jesse? Did you not see him content in letting Jesse's girlfriend die and using that to mock him? Come on. A few tears because he fucked up his family is no redemption. All of the death is 100% due to his actions.

To add to his crimes, he dealt with Nazi's with no issue, he ran some people over and he tried to frame his brother in law.

It ain't redemption by any stretch, but it does show that there is a shred of humanity in there.

Yup. Here's a slightly clearer cap:

mZjZRWN.png

The belt's a lot clearer in motion.

I thought it would have been great if he had rolled it to the house of the janitor from S1 who got wrongfully accused of stealing the High School's chemistry supplies that Walt took to cook meth.

jtb

Banned
Walt's complete refusal to accept that his actions have consequences doesn't make him sympathetic in any way. I'm just baffled by people suggesting him begging for Hank's life is somehow redeeming him as a character. He dug Hank's grave long ago, but when Walt suddenly realizes what this entails, he frantically backpedals because he's a coward. Hell, the episode couldn't be any more blunt about this—Hank didn't beg, Walt did.

That's not humanity, that's not "good", that's just hypocrisy. He wanted all the perks of being a drug kingpin but wasn't prepared to also accept the costs of getting what he wanted.

Damn. That episode. This is why shows need to end when they are ready to end and on the writer's terms. I've never wanted to see "the next episode" of a series more....and I get that feeling every week I watch. This last season has been one hell of a punctuation mark on a great ride of a show.

crozier

You don't think a fugitive drug dealer/murderer, trying to talk his way out of Hank being dead, trying to get his family to go on the run with him and starting a new life is bad?
Why shouldn't he "talk his way out of Hank being dead?" He had no idea that Hank would show up and did everything in his power to save him once he did.

Skyler is literally just as culpable in Hank's death as Walter is.

Raiden

Banned
Wow. Just wow. Some people are clearly watching an entirely different show. And their show is pretty inferior to ya know... The show.

Seriously.

But i have to be honest here. For the first few seconds of that phonecall i thought oh my god he's gone completely insane now. And then it hit me the same time it hit Skyler.

And i teared up.

Like a man i must say.

inm8num2

Walt's complete refusal to accept that his actions have consequences doesn't make him sympathetic in any way. I'm just baffled by people suggesting him begging for Hank's life is somehow redeeming him as a character. He dug Hank's grave long ago, but when Walt suddenly realizes what this entails, he frantically backpedals because he's a coward. Hell, the episode couldn't be any more blunt about this—Hank didn't beg, Walt did.

That's not humanity, that's not "good", that's just hypocrisy. He wanted all the perks of being a drug kingpin but wasn't prepared to also accept the costs of getting what he wanted.

Goddamn what a fantastic post.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Hank's final word's to Walt really mirrors his first toast to Walt at the party of the series pilot. But the contrast in the 2nd part of both quotes is devastating.
Pilot: "Walt you've got a brain the size of Wisconsin, but we're not gonna hold that against you. But your heart's in the right place. We love you."
Ozymandias: "You’re the smartest guy I ever met - and you’re too stupid to see he made up his mind ten minutes ago.”
Especially considering his final words to Walt are a response to Walt's plea (also from his "heart"!) to spare Hank by offering up the money. Hank's knows he's a dead man. Gomie's corpse is next to him. He's looking at Walt, who's thinking he can actually still straighten out everything with his money and good intentions. Even though all that's happened is the result of Walt's actions.

Hank's last words to Walt carried a deep, deep disappointment in Walt, mixed with some genuine pity for his naivete. Doesn't matter where your heart is, Walt, the shit you've done cannot be fixed.

RIP Hank

Why shouldn't he "talk his way out of Hank being dead?" He had no idea that Hank would show up and did everything in his power to save him once he did.

This is it.

This is What Team Walt Actually Believes: The Post.

Gild this post and mount it in a place where the people gather, so that we may never forget.

Mononoke

Banned

He was willing to turn himself in, in the last episode. He was just too foolish to realize his actions have consequences that he can't control.

He also wanted to turn himself in before but skyler encouraged him not to because the money would be useless.

Tookay

No.

She isn't.

She's done bad things. But not nearly as bad as Walt.

It's like some of you guys are incapable of making distinctions.

Fatalah

Skyler's world came to an end when Marie informed her of Walt's arrest.

For a good while, Skyler came to terms with the fact she was an accomplice to her husband. She even confronted her worst fear -- telling Walt Jr.

The moment Walt walked in the house, Skyler was handed a second chance to choose good, and damn did she ever.

T.O.P

Banned
Seriously.

But i have to be honest here. For the first few seconds of that phonecall i thought oh my god he's gone completely insane now. And then it hit me the same time it hit Skyler.

And i teared up.

Like a man i must say.

this

such a powerful scene, both Gunn and Cranston were stellar

ultron87

He was willing to turn himself in, in the last episode. He was just to foolish to realize his actions have consequences that he can't control.

But even then it wasn't his fault that he was caught or that he was going to get punished. In his mind it was all Jesse.

andycapps

No.

She isn't.

She's done bad things. But not nearly as bad as Walt.

It's like some of you guys are incapable of making distinctions.

It is pretty crazy. I'd say that a large part of that is testament to how well she and Cranston have played their characters, as well as the writers doing such a great job with them. But I think it's also that some people are incapable of rational thought.

Symphonia

Banned
Flynn is the real monster here, filing a false police report.

But, what can you expect from the Breakfast Kingpin of ABQ?
He was protecting his mother. I know it's only Skylar, but any son would do the same for their mother, it's instinct. Admittedly, though, I did still want to punch him. He may be the most innocent out of every character in the show, but he's preventing #TeamWalt from walking away as the winner.

sappyday

Man forget a Saul spin off or a Walking Dead spin off. We should get a spin off based on Holly when she's 16 and she's having trouble with boys because she never had a father figure.

The pilot could be of her sweet 16s and finding the tape they made during her baby shower.

I think Walt may periodically check in with Saul, and that's how he might learn something that leads to him buying an M60.
That's possible, though maybe a little forced. I doubt Saul would be keeping tabs on the White family, but maybe Walt paid him to keep the info flowing to him so he could ensure their future and live as a father vicariously through that info.

I can't see Jesse dying at this point. He's come too far and suffered too much. He has very big reasons to see through this alive and make sure that Walt's reign as Heisenberg comes to a true end. That's why I gravitate toward Jesse escaping and Walt putting an end once and for all to his meth empire.

Yeah, I don't see Jesse dying either. Just like I felt like Hank's time had come up, I feel like Jesse's opportunities to die have passed him by. I think he makes it out, but the big question is: does he make it out as Jesse, or does he turn into a cold, black shell that ends up carrying on the empire that Walt is now setting out to destroy?

Walt's confession about Jane, along with the deal with Brock, could end up destroying that thread of humanity tying Jesse together, and in killing Todd (seems likely) he could finally snap. It would be the last corruption by Walt, finally turning Jesse into the meth kingpin he always pretended to be at the beginning, and a truly tragic arc for his character.

In that sense, we could be seeing Walt going back to take down the nazis, but come to realize the nazis aren't in charge and haven't been for some time. It's Jesse, in all the glory that Walt built for him. He's become the ultimate monster Walt has unleashed upon the world.

I don't expect that to happen, but it would provide one last mega-twist for the writers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom