• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking Bad - Season 5, Part 2 - The Final Eight Episodes - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anustart

Sandwiching it inbetween the Talking Bad is also genius scheduling.

How?! Her husband is a delusional, narcissistic, psychopath. Sure, she can be a bit stand off-ish, but she's been absolutely focused on what's best for her family, versus Walt. Even if she's made mistakes, her intentions are so much better than Walt's. She deserves some peace.

Fucking Murphy Brown.

How the hell does MB season 2 have 100?? Is it just amazing television or what???

y2dvd

I still want a scene like this:

tumblr_m9zgybWt9M1ryi9zho1_1280.jpg

That is extremely on point. Remember the first scene of season 5? Can't wait to see how it gets to that point and where it goes from there.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm almost through season 2 of my rewatch. This is absolutely the greatest show not named "The Wire" to me.

The "Hector and Tuco" episode is an amazing hour of TV.

Thoraxes

I don't get home from work till 1AM tonight, but hoping to see those nice review round-ups after I watch the episode when I get home :)

After a year (!!!), it has FINALLY arrived. I'm so excited.

As long as there is a happy ending for Jesse (yeah right) I can finish this show without feeling like my soul has been utterly crushed, no matter what happens to the other characters.

That being said... BRING THE PAIN. I'm ready to shed those mainly tears seven Sundays from now.

Ataraxia

I can't wait for the entire series to be available on Blu-Ray. Christmas 2013 seems unlikely but I foresee some good Gold Box deals at Amazon next year.

vpance

I mean part of the appeal of any series finale is that plot points that were raised will finally decisively have to be concluded. I don't think everything needs to be wrapped up in a pretty bow - interpretive endings are good - but I do believe some things should happen more than others before the end. I definitely want Jesse to find out about Brock before the end.

Yeah, it's part of the appeal, but at the same time it's just exploring territory most of us come to expect. We've only got 8 ep left, so I hope they keep that stuff to a minimum. Yes, Jesse will find out Walt poisoned Brock, but don't spend time making it a huge deal or turning point. Do the unexpected dammit :)

Yeah, it's part of the appeal, but at the same time it's just exploring territory most of us come to expect. We've only got 8 ep left, so I hope they keep that stuff to a minimum. Yes, Jesse will find out Walt poisoned Brock, but don't spend time making it a huge deal or turning point. Do the unexpected dammit :)

If you think Jesse finding out about Brock isn't going to be a huge deal (if it happens that is)
you're going to be disappointed I think.

You say it's exploring territory most of us have come to expect but that's really not true at all, because there's still the execution of how those plot points will play out. You might not find it interesting, but remember there's still the question of how Jesse will find out, which could be exciting on its own.

Ataraxia

A lot of people are pulling for Jesse to come out of this ok, and I am too, but I really hope Skyler makes it. She doesn't deserve any of the misery and I hope her life returns to some level of normalcy.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
We're all in this together.

YpvIECs.gif

Also, fuck you all, I'm on Team Skylar.

everyone who isn't a misogynist is #TeamSkylar yes I just went there

Low Winter Sun has the same problems that Ray Donovan has/had

why you gotta do this to me ivy :(

I think they're working on a Neil Gaiman American Gods and Stephen King Dark Tower series too

American Gods is vaporware and Dark Tower was never in development.

Blader

I fully expect Jesse to find out about Brock - it happened too recently in the show for it to not come up again - but I do wonder how and if Gilligan will revisit Jane's death? That was a pretty pivotal moment in Walt's transformation, but there were zero witnesses to it so I can't imagine how it will come up unless Walt himself talks about it. It also happened four years ago and may be too long for a lot of viewers to even remember much less care.

inm8num2

The Skyler hate has always confused me. I think she gets the flak because she's often been a roadblock to the character some still think of as a 'protagonist'.

But I don't think people hate her because of misogyny. Some might, but not nearly all.

Courage

I fully expect Jesse to find out about Brock - it happened too recently in the show for it to not come up again - but I do wonder how and if Gilligan will revisit Jane's death? That was a pretty pivotal moment in Walt's transformation, but there were zero witnesses to it so I can't imagine how it will come up unless Walt himself talks about it. It also happened four years ago and may be too long for a lot of viewers to even remember much less care.

Depending on how Walt and Jesse's relationship evolves throughout the season, Walt can tell it to him during an argument.

ivysaur12

Banned
*sigh*...You just can't win. Don't like Skyler? You're a misogynistic who hates women even if you think Walt is evil. You just can't win.

Why would anyone root for Walt over Skylar? Walt is, to make it as simple as possible, and evil human being seemingly incapable of empathy. Skylar is flawed, but genuinely a good person who cares deeply for her family and two children (much more than Walt does). I don't understand the hate or dislike, and at this point, every one should be rooting for Skylar to escape this situation. I don't really understand any of the other alternatives... she married a monster.

The Skyler hate has always confused me. I think she gets the flak because she's often been a roadblock to the character some still think of as a 'protagonist'.

But I don't think people hate her because of misogyny. Some might, but not nearly all.

I think it speaks to how we view female characters who aren't bastions of purity. Skylar is not perfect. She's not funny. She's not exactly the type of person you'd want to surround yourself with at a party. But look who she married, look at her goals... there's no reason not to root for her, and I can't for the life of me understand those who don't.

Ataraxia

The Skyler hate has always confused me.

Yep, and every thing she has done to distance her family from Walt has been completely rational considering he has done such a horrible job explaining to her what he does. No good parent would want their kids in the home thinking that any minute a drug lord might break in and murder the entire family. She has no perspective of how much Walter is in control now and its his fault for the ambiguity.

I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER HNNNNNNNGH

Also, yes, Walt is obviously evil. But it's fun to see a character do the kind of stuff that normal people wouldn't do in TV shows.

ivysaur12

Banned

What are the reasons to root for Walt's goals over Skyler's? Because he's the main character? Gilligan always has seemed to advocate for sympathizing with Skyler, and it's fairly clear through her fall into the pool and her speech on time being her ally that we should as well. I don't understand those who wish to see Skyler fail, and I think it has to do with our expectations of female characters.

Why are you even watching this series if you hate Walter?

a;okdsfja;lkdfja;lkdsfja;kldsfja;ldksfja;dslkfj

What.

There are no main characters on television as deplorable as Walter. He wins, he is the darkest we can go (the FX president even joked about this at their TCA conference). My enjoyment of the show is in no way tied to my sympathy for Walt's goals.

Batigol

Banned
What are the reasons to root for Walt's goals over Skylar's? Because he's the main character? Gilligan always has seemed to advocate for sympathizing with Skylar, and it's fairly clear through her fall into the pool and her speech on time being her ally that we should as well. I don't understand those who wish to see Skylar fail, and I think it has to do with our expectations of female characters.

a;okdsfja;lkdfja;lkdsfja;kldsfja;ldksfja;dslkfj

What.

It's not about rooting one over the other.

Walt's transformation has been fascinating. I'm 'following' him to see where his character ends up.

inm8num2

Even Vince Gilligan couldn't stop the Skyler hate train.

Man, I don’t see it that way at all. We’ve been at events and had all our actors up onstage, and people ask Anna Gunn, “Why is your character such a bitch?” And with the risk of painting with too broad a brush, I think the people who have these issues with the wives being too bitchy on Breaking Bad are misogynists, plain and simple. I like Skyler a little less now that she’s succumbed to Walt’s machinations, but in the early days she was the voice of morality on the show. She was the one telling him, “You can’t cook crystal meth.” She’s got a tough job being married to this asshole. And this, by the way, is why I should avoid the Internet at all costs. People are griping about Skyler White being too much of a killjoy to her meth-cooking, murdering husband? She’s telling him not to be a murderer and a guy who cooks drugs for kids. How could you have a problem with that?

The first half of season 5 was completely fantastic, but I have a feeling that it will work much better being paired with it's latter half. That might sound obvious, but it really is the difference between this being Season 5.2 instead of Season 6. A lot of the first eight episodes of S5 were a slow burn; essential to the buildup of the characters and plot, but without much coming to a head (with a couple of exceptions, obviously).

All of this is to say that they have all of the pieces in place, and the necessary elements that aren't as intrinsically exciting have already been taken care of, leaving these final 8 episodes to let all hell break loose.

I haven't been this excited for the airing of a television show, like, ever. Breaking Bad is the first time I've been invested in a series as it is still airing. On the video game side of my life, the title often becomes a victim of its own hype when this happens. Here, I have no worries of that. These are masters at their craft, ready to throw down one of the crowning achievements in all of humanity's entertainment.

Blader

What are the reasons to root for Walt's goals over Skyler's?

I don't know if anyone is, at this point, still *rooting* for Walt to succeed. But I think when you boil it down, the reason prefer Walt to Skyler is simply because Walt's story is more interesting (obviously, since he is the show) and Skyler is just annoying. Just because she's the relative good one of the pair and Walt's a full-on villain now doesn't everyone has to love or even care about her because she's really just annoying.

Divius

Nice, didn't know this was coming. I think I still need to watch the first half of season 5. Oh well, I will wait another 8 weeks and marathon the entire season.

ivysaur12

Banned
I don't know if anyone is, at this point, still *rooting* for Walt to succeed. But I think when you boil it down, the reason prefer Walt to Skyler is simply because Walt's story is more interesting (obviously, since he is the show) and Skyler is just annoying. Just because she's the relative good one of the pair and Walt's a full-on villain now doesn't everyone has to love or even care about her because she's really just annoying.

How is she annoying? She's trying to stop her husband from being a meth-cooking murderer? Excuse me, sorry, I didn't realize what a bitch she could be.

Accusations of misogyny might be thrown a little loosely, but after rewatching Fifty-One, I really can't see how anyone can still be on TeamWalt at this point. The way he gleefully terrorizes Skylar and delights in making her feel small and afraid as he chases her around the room (not to mention how he basically raped her at the end of the previous episode) is so goddamn sociopathic I can't imagine how anyone can think Walt is actually justified in treating her this way unless you just really like seeing a woman put in her place.

Courage

How is she annoying? She's trying to stop her husband from being a meth-cooking murderer? Excuse me, sorry, I didn't realize what a bitch she could be.

Like some people already explained, she's an obstacle preventing the main focus of the show (Walt's transformation) from evolving. She slowed that progress down with her actions throughout the series. Once again, it boils down to why people watch the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom